Aberrant: Quantum Zero - QZ - game mechanics

Asbjørn

And you can call her Tinkerbell 

What? & get sued by Diz-Knee?

Oh, but Tenkerbill doesn't suit her... Damned Mickey Rooney... err... Mouse ::unsure ... hmm is there really a difference?

There is no woman that I cant handle

Hehehe Spoken like a true 16 year old *somewhere a crowd aplauds*. ::thumbsup

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, it's an interesting challenge to run the important setting-characters. Obviously I have my own take on them, but it'd be interesting to see how others run them. For example, does the Count come across as people imagined him when they read the books, or does my version seem way out?

Actually, I think you've done wonders with the Count. He's increadiably reasonable, yet savvy, intelligent, and quite unwilling to compromise his priciples. Which, I must say, is how he comes across in the books. Bravo, keep up the good work!

Hehehe Spoken like a true 16 year old *somewhere a crowd aplauds*.

Are you kidding? Do you know what teenage girls are like? All the 16 year old guys I know who would say something like that have already been torn limb from limb

Re: Count Orzaiz

I think you're doing a great job with him, and Orzaiz is one of my favorite characters. I just get a kick out of how nobody's entirely sure how to react to him, even authoritarian guys like Utopia. He seems (in QZ) to exude a patient air of "I really don't see what's so hard about this", which is how he seems in the books. And it probably was a good idea not to let Pathfinder try to negotiate alone.. ::crazy

((Dude...the six-legged horse was called Sleipnir, and it belonged to Odin. At any rate, freakin' dodge already!!!  ))

Eight. Eight legs. Not six. But it's nice to see that you guys know a bit about "our" old religion... ::wink

Asbjørn the Viking

By the way: I do have a question about technicalities... A general one, actually.

With all these nova tough guys around... Do they have any weak spots? If one were to try to poke their eyes out or give them a kick in the groin, how would it work?

I believe that would fall under the "called shots" category. On page 242 of the core Aberrant book, there's a paragraph about Targeting.

Some examples from the book(regarding the targets you mentioned):

Precise(eye, groin): +3 Diff, +4 Dmg effect.

The book also suggests that ST's consider special effects beyond increased damage, eg. clawing someones eyeballs out results in blindness; kicking a male in the genitals causing temporary impotence or fertility problems.

How's that? ::wink

So it basicly doesn't work on an average combat-nova. +4 damage is laughable to anyone with a fair soak.

But doesn't that mean that to superstrong and tough novas could kick each other in the balls a lot more than two average baselines? Yes, it hurts a bit more, but it's nothing like the devastating effect it has on us normal guys.... ::blink

I think I'd throw in a stunned period as well...

I think going for the eyes would work pretty well, not alot of damage mind you but how many health levels can an eyeball take? LOL had a thought for bodymod extra health levels, they're all in the 'soft' spots on the nova's body, you'll have characters with swolen eyeballs and a serious case of berri berri! ::wacko (spelling?)

Here's a question...does Bodymorph give a character Adaptability? I wouldn't think so, as it would be grossly overpowered(in my opinion). But I can't help but wonder...Alloy turns into his metal form...metal doesn't need to breathe, eat, sleep, etc. What about environmental conditions? Cold, heat, radiation?

Actually...

No matter what your *skin* is...most living beings need some form of sustinance if they use energy. I do realise that some nova's dont apply to this (some...very few and far between even for novas) but they do need sustinance of some kind.

As for enverionmental issues...if metal gets to cold...it can get brittle I believe...if it gets too hot...it melts. I do agree that it is more tolerant then human skin...but that is where dots of armor come into play.

Nonono....when Joe turns into Alloy, he actually *becomes* metal. It's not just his skin or outer covering, it's his entire mass. As far as I'm aware, when any character uses BM, their physical form changes to a different material. I could be wrong.

Now I agree that metals can get brittle or melt, etc. However, it really depends on what metal you're referring to. For instance, iron is going to melt waaaaay before titanium.

Nonono....when Joe turns into Alloy, he actually *becomes* metal. It's not just his skin or outer covering, it's his entire mass. As far as I'm aware, when any character uses BM, their physical form changes to a different material.

100% correct.

Here's a question...does Bodymorph give a character Adaptability?

I don't believe it would necessarily be exactly like adaptibility, but close. In the Aberrant PG page 36 it implies this, "For true survival in space, a nova needs Bodymorph (to assume a form unaffected by the rigors of space) or Mega-Stamina with Adaptability." (emphasis added by me).

Of course the obvious disadvantage is you have to pay quantum to maintain BM, but not for adaptability. Obviously, I have a stake in this as well with Aaron, but I think the rules are relatively clear on this one.

The section of the APG is exactly what I was thinking of when I considered it. Now, of course, the last word goes to the ST, but I think having to cough up QP to maintain sort of balances it out. I think it might work, as long as it was run logically. Metal forms would be more susceptible to extreme heat, water forms would freeze in space, etc. Maybe a weaker version, unofficial? Y'know, doesn't have to breathe or eat?

I dunno. ::confused I'd rather just buy the Adaptability enhancement, and make it part of the BM suite for my conscience to be clear. But it doesn't make much sense to pay the BM cost for Adaptability, when I could just buy Adaptability, and tack it onto Mega-Stamina so it's there all the time.

Ok...ok...ill bite on that just for the hell of it (the exact methodology of BM can be discussed later)...your body becomes metal. That still does not excuse you from having to breath. Or eat. And unless you take dispursed organs....your organs are still defined (You still have lungs, a stomach and all that).

The big question now is...what metal are you exactly?

Well...technically Alloy is just that. A hodgepodge of different metals. Zinc, copper, nickel, silver, titanium, iron, cobalt...I could keep going, but you get the idea.

By no means do I think it acceptable for this particular character to get Adaptability for free as part of BM. Let's just call it idle curiousity. ::biggrin

More to the point, I was wondering whether purchasing Adaptability as part of the BM suite would be allowed, or even encouraged; considering the tidbit about BM and space-travel in the APG section mentioned earlier.

Personally I would make it dependant on the nova and his powers.

Any liquid or Air type would die per normal if not faster I would think.

Solids would have a better chase of living mind you. Just remember you still have to breathe...and that air will do anything it has to to equalise in space...so unless you dont have ot breathe your dead.

Bodymorph does not give you Adaptability, what it does is turn you into a different substance, which means you can survive in any conditions that substance can - you gain that substance's strengths & weaknesses.

Metal does not need to breathe. Alloy BMd to metal does not need to breathe.

Simple really. ::wink

So...that would mean that if I took the power BM: Metal (Adamantium) and took enough taint to get perm power: BM...I wouldent need to breathe or eat?

Not normal food anyway. You might need to feed some other way (although that might only become apparent with more taint... or you might pick it up on the way there).

So...that would mean that if I took the power BM: Metal (Adamantium) and took enough taint to get perm power: BM...I wouldent need to breathe or eat?

You'd also need a dot or two in Crosstime Travel in order to go to the Marvel universe where Adamantium exists... ::sly

But, yes, with many Bodymorphs you don't need to (for example) eat or breathe. Being permanent or not is just an adjustment to the power's duration, really, not the effects it has. Being metal all the time would put a serious crimp in your love-life though... ::wink

That's it.

By the time most of you read this post, I'm gone. Not that I'll be going very far, or even for very long, but for the next two weeks I'll be without a reliable internet connection...

Hopefully you'll manage without me. ::wink

I'll be back around the 13th!

• 2 weeks later...

Nah...Kane just irritates The Stranger by himself. Baseline or Nova doesn't matter to him, I just don't like getting jerked around by some rent-a-cop. ::angry ::biggrin

Ya like how I planted the seed of distrust with the accusation(probably true) of the comm taps? ::devil

Ya like how I planted the seed of distrust with the accusation(probably true) of the comm taps?

You're a bumbling fool. ::tongue Orzaiz specifically told you that if you talked about what you were after with anyone, they'd find out and the deal would be off. Now you go shooting your mouth off about it to Master's baseline lackey Kane over an open line in a room that could easily be tapped? ::crazy ::wacko Riiiight... That's the way to get into the Teragen's confidence. ::dry

Archived