Tumbleweed

And one I finished reading just today. The book? 'Doc Sidhe' by one Aaron Allston.

It's actually a pretty straightforward premise; protagonist and his girlfriend get booted into a strange fantasy-world parallel to our own, where magic and the like is real and folks have pointy ears. And naturally, the protagonist's gotta save both worlds from certain doom

However, there's a twist. Instead of being your standard medevial-type place, the 'fair world' is in a period similar to our own 1930's, with Zeppelins, Art Deco architecture, huge cars, and the like.

On top of this is the title character- your standard 'dashing gentleman hero', like Max Mercer- only a little elfier. Of course, he runs a foundation similar to the Aeon society, with a myrad collection of adventurers under his command.

Just wondered if anyone had read the book, if not for the fact that it combines Elves and Zeppelins. Also brings up the interesting idea of incorporating 'traditional' fantasy RPG elements into an Adventure! campaign. Hrrm...:)

AUGH! Elves in trenchcoats! ::wacko

Sorry...Catch-22: I like to see new ideas, but I also like to keep genres sorta seperated...Admittedly, fantasy is all set for Adventure! anyway, but it just feels somehow silly to mix things past a point.

Then again, an elvish Untouchables could be interesting as a one-shot, as the characters attempt to nail an elderberry wine-smuggler... Or even Casablanca in the forest...::smokin

FR

Definitely interesting. I am going to tackle Bloodshadows as my next Adventure! conversion. It is an old WEG game that is dark fantasy pupl & would work great as an another alternate setting to add to my collection.

The really good news is that I am going to run straight Adventure! in its own setting this summer. ::bigsmile

::tongue It is about time.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey! Snazzy!

Looks like they've also got 'Rats, Bats, and Vats' available for reading; whereupon I do heartily suggest that you all go read it. It's not too pulpy, but it's really just too damned funny to pass up. I'd gush about it more, but I must run soon. Away!

• 2 months later...

The idea sounds a bit like the computer game called Arcanum that was released a bit ago. It had fantasy elements in the forms of elves, orcs, trolls etc with high technology mixed in with magic.

The story basically revolved around the conflict between technology and magic, and the split that formed - pretty cool.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived