Aberrant: Quantum Zero - Quantum Zero

ProfPotts

Meanwhile, in the back of the armoured car, Ash puts a hand on Derek's shoulder, saying quietly,

\"I think you got her...\"

Looking a little sheepish:

"Um..... Yes, quite. I DO hope she's ok, relatively speaking, of course...."

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
\"She's down. Nathan's on the scene & Alex is rampaging in that direction too.\"

Terry flicks off the holo projector and slumps back in his chair

"Good...you mentioned that your people would be able to restrain her? They'd better get there while she's still down..at least until we manage to let Emma maintain control at all times. That is, if its even possible."

Terry then speaks in his head set

"Great teamwork guys! Once you're sure Emma's fine and not likely to burst into flames on us, one of you might want to check on Nulli. His com's been silent for a while..."

From his vantage point Nathan can see what appears to be the body of a nakedĀ  woman in the rubble, not a golden woman but rather a dusky skinned, dark haired, good-looking female who seems to be in her mid-twenties. As he watches she stirs & tries to sit up, fragments of concrete, glass, & clothes falling off her...

Landing in the street, Nathan picks up a relatively whole coat from the shattered window display and walks over to the hole Nefertiti made. Half considering turning off the forcefield to present a slightly more friendly image, he decides against it. She might still be dangerous even if she doesn't look the part.

So; Still glowing like a faint star he walks towards her. Clearing away some of the heavier rubble he hands her the coat, doing his best not to wince because of the shoulder. Leaving his radio on to let the others know what's going on he says (in as friendly a voice as possible)

- "Emma? Hi, I'm Nathan. How are you feeling?"

While doing his best to judge her reaction, alert for any sign that the flaming godess is returning Nathan suddenly hears the steady and heavy approach of a giant shadowmonster named Alex. Turning away so Emma can't hear him he says

- "Alex, this is Nathan. Stay away. She seems calm, but i don't want her to freak out because of you, ok? Stay out of sight. Masters? Looks like Miss Egypt is gone for now. Where do you want Emma?"

Turning back to the woman, Nathan smiles and reaches out to her with his good hand.

- "What do you say we go somewhere and get you cleaned up? You hungry?"

While doing his best to judge her reaction, alert for any sign that the flaming godess is returning Nathan suddenly hears the steady and heavy approach of a giant shadowmonster named Alex. Turning away so Emma can't hear him he says

\"Alex, this is Nathan. Stay away. She seems calm, but i don't want her to freak out because of you, ok? Stay out of sight. Masters? Looks like Miss Egypt is gone for now. Where do you want Emma?\"

"...understood."

(Mentally) *Why the suprise? This is what we were working for. Speaking of which...* Alex looks around for a fire hydrant. (OOC: Make an Engineering roll to create the right kind of tool to open one without breaking it). After cooling down, he will shift back to the tux.

In the 'fight' street:

\"ARGH!!! WHAT'S... HAPPENING... TO... ME?\"Ā  Will says through gritted teeth, still clasping his head.

Ash steps out of the back of the armoured car (still in her evening dress) & frowns as she hears Will's cry. She looks back at Derek & says,

\"We'd better see if we can help him.\"

...before carefully approaching the newly erupted Nova. As she does so several police cars, as well as a light blue van with 'Project: Utopia' marked on the side, arrive. The police officers soon disembark & begin the thankless task of crowd control, whilst several figures in vaguely paramedic-style outfits (with PU logos) get out of the van. A couple of the PU guys head over to Will's side, whilst another approaches Nullifier's spikey prone form, & a fourth starts to survey the damage to the area.

One of the PU paramedics near Will takes Ash aside to talk to her, whilst the other (actually a young lady, rather than a 'guy') crouches next to Will & says,

\"Hi, I'm Sharon. Try to stay calm. You're recently erupted, right? It's going to be ok. We can give you something to help with the pain, if that's ok with you?\"

She unpacks various medical gear as she talks, & shows Will a small white plastic bottle labeled 'Adrenocilin', from which she taps out two colourful capsules which she offers to Will.

On the Skymaster:

\"Good...you mentioned that your people would be able to restrain her? They'd better get there while she's still down..at least until we manage to let Emma maintain control at all times. That is, if its even possible.\"

Masters nods, then speaks some orders into his 'phone.

At the 'crash site':

\"Emma? Hi, I'm Nathan. How are you feeling?\"

The woman in the rubble looks scared ::nervous & backs away as Nathan approaches her, but (after a few moments of hesitation) takes the coat he offers & thankfully covers herself ::blush .

\"Masters? Looks like Miss Egypt is gone for now. Where do you want Emma?\"

On board the airship Masters lowers his 'phone & replies to the radio message,

\"Can you bring her up here? I'd prefer it if we could keep her away from unnecessary public scrutiny.\"

Turning back to the woman, Nathan smiles and reaches out to her with his good hand.

- \"What do you say we go somewhere and get you cleaned up? You hungry?\"

She hesitates for a few moments more then, after a nervous glance at the gathered crowd ::lookaround , takes the Nova's hand & allows him to help her to her feet, nodding in response to his question.

Across the street Alex pauses for a second to examine a nearby hydrant. A moment later a tendril of Dark Matter from his arm forms into a solid-looking tool, & he carefully lets the hydrant stream forth water, that soon drenches & cools him. Several of the crowd that had gathered around the naked woman & Nathan head over the street to Alex as they notice his arrival. As they approach Alex shuts off the flow of water, reverting to his "human" form - still looking stylish in his black tux, if a little singed & a little damp... One middle-aged man in a rather scruffy raincoat & ill-fitting cheap suit snaps a photograph of Alex before producing an audio-recorder that he trusts in the Nova's face as he says,

"George Watson, Daily News. Who are you? What's going on? Are you anything to do with the burning sky or the mid-night Sun we've all been witness to? Is this incident anything to do with the terrorist attack on the Masters building earlier tonight? Are you an associate of the rogue ice-wielding Nova PU took into custody earlier this evening after his showdown with the police? Are you a member of the Teragen? What's your angle? - the people have a right to know!" ::sly

\"Can you bring her up here? I'd prefer it if we could keep her away from unnecessary public scrutiny.\"

\"OK. We'll be right there.\"

She hesitates for a few moments more then, after a nervous glance at the gathered crowd ::lookaround , takes the Nova's hand & allows him to help her to her feet, nodding in response to his question.

Nathan leads her out on the street, then picks her up in his arms. Smiling to her, he says "Hold on tight, we're going for a little ride..." Then he rises realtively slowly into the air, before he speeds up and heads for the Skymaster.

When he reaches the airship, he lands inside the doorway Masters and Terry stand by and lets Emma stand on her own. Then he 'powers down', the white glow pulsing slowly before it fades away completely. When he sits down in the nearest chair only his eyes add a cold white light to the room.

"Didn't I leave my jacket somewhere around here? I could really use a smoke.... Ah! There it is! Anybody else want one?"

After rummaging around in the pockets of his leather jacket a bit he puts on his sunglasses and lights a cigarette. ::smokin

\"George Watson, Daily News. ... the people have a right to know!\" ::sly

Alex actually looks tired. ā€œWell...ā€, Alex begins and quickly thinks, *This is it. My 5 minutes of fame. A good one liner would make the news and do wonders for whatever my career will be. And I should distract them from Miss Hyde.* ā€œ...so far tonight Iā€™ve been shot, stabbed, blown up, poisoned, incinerated, flash frozen, and have taken two terminal velocity falls...ā€ *I wonā€™t mention the part about my date being stolen.* ā€œ...all I can say is that Iā€™m happy to have helped deal with the terrorists and that Masters throws one heck of a party.ā€

Nathan leads her out on the street, then picks her up in his arms. Smiling to her, he says \"Hold on tight, we're going for a little ride...\" Then he rises realtively slowly into the air, before he speeds up and heads for the Skymaster.
*Good, they got away.* "Anyway, I'm Alex Green and I think I'd better check up on some friends..." *who I left unconscious* "...a few blocks away. Chow."

And with that, Alex waves good by and sprints back to the downed novas. (Not many baselines can sprint this many city blocks so I might lose them. Then again, I might not.)

Terry heads to the Skymaster bar and starts a pot of strong coffee. Grabbing a tray of glasses and a bottle of Jameson, he heads back down.

"Some coffee's on the way, care to have a drink? I'm Terry."

Terry, looking spent and haggard in a bizarrely stylish way, holds a glass up in front of Emma. (Yes! With his hands! ::wink )

\"Didn't I leave my jacket somewhere around here? I could really use a smoke.... Ah! There it is! Anybody else want one?\"

"No thanks, I don't smoke..."

Looking back at Emma and sipping at his own glass after offering some to the others

"What do you remember? Do you know what just happened?"

One of the PU paramedics near Will takes Ash aside to talk to her, whilst the other (actually a young lady, rather than a 'guy') crouches next to Will & says,

\"Hi, I'm Sharon. Try to stay calm. You're recently erupted, right? It's going to be ok. We can give you something to help with the pain, if that's ok with you?\"

She unpacks various medical gear as she talks, & shows Will a small white plastic bottle labeled 'Adrenocilin', from which she taps out two colourful capsules which she offers to Will.

At first Will hesitates, wanting to know what this drug is, but at the promise of it reducing the pain he nods at Sharon and takes the capsules.

(OOC: If Will doesn't pass out from either the pain or the drug.)

Will stays low to the ground just incase he has the sudden urge to fall down. The pain still evident he looks to Sharon "Thank you Sharon... Would you excuse me for a moment?" putting his hand over his ear "Masters... ngh... Masters, what's the situation?... There are some people from Project Utopia here too..."

Turns back to Sharon " I think I'll lie down now ::dozingoff "

Nathan leads her out on the street, then picks her up in his arms. Smiling to her, he says \"Hold on tight, we're going for a little ride...\" Then he rises realtively slowly into the air, before he speeds up and heads for the Skymaster.

The young lady gasps & looks frightened ::nervous as the pair start to rise, & the crowd below point, yell, & clap at the Nova antics they're witness to.

When he reaches the airship, he lands inside the doorway Masters and Terry stand by and lets Emma stand on her own. Then he 'powers down', the white glow pulsing slowly before it fades away completely. When he sits down in the nearest chair only his eyes add a cold white light to the room.

\"Didn't I leave my jacket somewhere around here? I could really use a smoke.... Ah! There it is! Anybody else want one?\"

After rummaging around in the pockets of his leather jacket a bit he puts on his sunglasses and lights a cigarette.

Masters moves quickly over to the Nova, removes the cigarette from his lips, drops it on the floor, & stamps it out.

\"No smoking on board.\", he says with a serious tone.

Terry heads to the Skymaster bar and starts a pot of strong coffee.

Heading up the connecting ladder from the control car to the airship's main body Terry finds himself in a narrow corridor lined with various doors. Heading aft he soon enters the lounge / bar area - a large room in the centre of the airship's lower hull. Windows line the room on either side, slanted to conform to the shape of the vessel's hull, & presenting a spectacular view of the city below. The room itself is wood-panelled, with a plush carpet, & subdued lighting from a small chandelier. Scattered around are comfortable looking padded leather armchairs, a few pot-plants, & even a grand piano! Roughly opposite the door he enters by he sees the bar, where he heads to prepare the drinks.

Grabbing a tray of glasses and a bottle of Jameson, he heads back down.

\"Some coffee's on the way, care to have a drink? I'm Terry.\"

Terry, looking spent and haggard in a bizarrely stylish way, holds a glass up in front of Emma. (Yes! With his hands!Ā  )

The young lady nods & takes the offered glass gingerly, sipping just a little. Masters takes a glass & quaffs it, before pulling a face, peering at the glass & asking of Terry,

\"Why'd you bring this stuff? There's much better up there...\"

\"What do you remember? Do you know what just happened?\"

Emma (for it is she) looks confused, then answers nervously (in a rather upper-class English accent),

\"Who are you people? Where's Doctor Maxwell? Or Mr Masters? What is it you expect me to remember?\"

Masters (having gotten over his disappointment with the selected drinks) suggests,

\"Let's go up to the lounge where it's comfortable\", he glances from the near nude woman to the open door, \"and a little less chilly.\"

And with that, Alex waves good by and sprints back to the downed novas. (Not many baselines can sprint this many city blocks so I might lose them. Then again, I might not.)

Some of the crowd, including the reporter, run after Alex for a bit, but soon give up (more because it looks silly, rather than any lack of athletic potential on their parts - at least that's what they'll claim later ::wink ). Alex soon reaches where the larger crowd is being held back by the police. Through the throng he can make out the PU van, & some activity over where Nullifier & Will were, but little else.

Will stays low to the ground just incase he has the sudden urge to fall down. The pain still evident he looks to Sharon \"Thank you Sharon... Would you excuse me for a moment?\" putting his hand over his ear \"Masters... ngh... Masters, what's the situation?... There are some people from Project Utopia here too...\"

The paramedic watches Will with obvious concern, & makes a few notes on a palmtop computer. Over the radio Masters replies,

\"Utopia are here? Good, good. My people called them. We've got the situation in hand up here, but you sound awful. Maybe it'd be best if you let PU take care of you for the moment. I'll inform your father of what's happened. Is everyone else ok? Oh, & Will? I'd appreciate it if you refrained from telling the Utopia people about Emma - let the others know too - she's got enough problems without PU adding to them.\"

Turns back to Sharon \" I think I'll lie down nowĀ  \"

The paramedic offers her hand,

"Come with me, you can lie down in the van. We'll take you to the local Rashoud Facility", she glances over to where her companion is examining the spiked form of Nullifier, "your friend too. The pain you're feeling is from the activation & growth of your new MR-node - that & fluctuations in your powers can last for up to 48 hours. We can help you through that tough period if you'll let us.", she smiles ::smile in a reassuring way.

Alex soon reaches where the larger crowd is being held back by the police. Through the throng he can make out the PU van, & some activity over where Nullifier & Will were, but little else.

*Well, if they are hurt, they are already in much better care than mine. Pity my radio got trashed or Iā€™d call in.*

ā€œYeawnnnā€ ::dozingoff , Alex doesnā€™t quite stifle a yawn. *Iā€™m hurt? Feels like I might have sprained a rib or something. Wow! Iā€™m actually tired. I got a full nights sleep day before yesterday too. And Iā€™m Hungry. I wonder if there is any food left back at the party?*

Alex looks around for a taxi and then swears, ā€œBLAST!!!ā€. ::angry *My wallet is gone! No, not gone, incinerated! And my change, and my keys, and everything!!! I donā€™t even have cab fare.* ::Sigh:: *Hmm. That limo would have taken me home... its only been 20 minutes or so, I wonder what happened to Susanne?* Alex comes to a decision.

He will try to push through the crowd (IDā€™ing himself as a nova if he needs to) explain that he was at the party and that he needs either medical attention (after all, he was shot/stabbed/poisoned/etc), a lift, or a call to Masters depending on whose attention he gets & what he thinks will fly. ::lookaround

Heading up the connecting ladder from the control car to the airship's main body Terry finds himself in a narrow corridor lined with various doors. Heading aft he soon enters the lounge / bar area - a large room in the centre of the airship's lower hull. Windows line the room on either side, slanted to conform to the shape of the vessel's hull, & presenting a spectacular view of the city below. The room itself is wood-panelled, with a plush carpet, & subdued lighting from a small chandelier. Scattered around are comfortable looking padded leather armchairs, a few pot-plants, & even a grand piano! Roughly opposite the door he enters by he sees the bar, where he heads to prepare the drinks.

Terry pauses

\"Well I'll be...This definitely beats flying coach!\"

The young lady nods & takes the offered glass gingerly, sipping just a little. Masters takes a glass & quaffs it, before pulling a face, peering at the glass & asking of Terry,

\"Why'd you bring this stuff? There's much better up there...\"

\"Better? More expensive maybe...\"

Emma (for it is she) looks confused, then answers nervously (in a rather upper-class English accent),

\"Who are you people? Where's Doctor Maxwell? Or Mr Masters? What is it you expect me to remember?\"

\"I...\"

Masters (having gotten over his disappointment with the selected drinks) suggests,

\"Let's go up to the lounge where it's comfortable\", he glances from the near nude woman to the open door, \"and a little less chilly.\"

Terry looks slightly aghast at himself

"Of course! How rude of you me! You go up and I'll try to find something decent for you to wear...must be a waiter's closet or something around here..."

Terry quaffs down his drink and sets his glass on the tray. As the group heads up he starts rummaging through the ship for clothing and/or blankets.

Masters moves quickly over to the Nova, removes the cigarette from his lips, drops it on the floor, & stamps it out.

\"No smoking on board.\", he says with a serious tone.

\"Aw, man! Come on...!\" ::dry Looking slightly annoyed at Masters' smoking policy, Nathan watches quietly as the other guys discuss the avaiable liquor. Since he's afraid he might scare her he does his best not to look too much at Emma, but the half naked woman is more than enough to distract him... ::blush

\"Of course! How rude of you me! You go up and I'll try to find something decent for you to wear...must be a waiter's closet or something around here...\"

"Good idea..."

Nathan gets up and follows Masters and Emma up the ladder to the lounge. Terry is probably the only one to notice how he's not looking up as he climbs the ladder...

When they reach the lounge he throws himself down on a couch, looks for an ashtray to see if the smoking policy is absolute and waits for Masters to explain things to the confused woman.

Is everyone else ok?

\"I don't know, I kind of got distracted when my head felt like an over-ripe mellon.\"

Oh, & Will? I'd appreciate it if you refrained from telling the Utopia people about Emma - let the others know too - she's got enough problems without PU adding to them.\"

"So that's her name? Sure I'll handle it" Will says feeling much better.

[Onboard the Skymaster]

Masters, Nathan, Terry, & Emma arrive in the lounge (Nathan finding no ashtrays - yes the smoking ban is absolute). Masters stops Terry as he heads off for a rummage, suggesting that he may be able to find something in Emma's size on board, & showing the young lady to a rather luxurious cabin (there are several, situated aft of the lounge) with en-suite bathroom, four-poster bed, & a wardrobe full of stylish women's clothing. Leaving her to bath, dress, & collect her thoughts, Masters returns to the Novas in the lounge, offers 'round more drinks, calls the galley to fix a few snacks, & suggests that they all relax until Emma emerges...

[in the street]

The fuss Alex causes in the crowd draws the attention of a police officer. After brief explainations from the Nova, the officer calls to the PU guy checking the damage to the area, who in-turn calls over Ash, who gets Alex allowed through. The ebony-skinned woman quickly explains that she's going to escort Will & Nullifier to the Manhattan Rashoud facility to help the Utopians with their inquiries. She suggests that Alex (& Derek, naturally) join them to get checked out, 'just in case'....

[Aftermath - Several hours later]

[Onboard the Skymaster]

Both Terry & Nathan are feeling more relaxed, recharged, & well-fed (Masters' "snacks" turned out to be top-quality cuisine to rival even the best restaurants), & Emma has emerged washed, clad in a rather fetching evening-dress, & also more relaxed (although still confused). Masters has just spent some time explaining that the men Emma was asking after were his father's father Johnny "Rocket" Masters, & his mother's father Dr William H. Maxwell. Both were involved in Emma's case - combating Nefertiti, & trying to aid Emma. He also does his best to explain that Emma has been in a "coma" of some kind for over 50 years, & that the world has changed quite a bit in the intervening years. Explaining the concept of Novas is particularly difficult, but he points to Terry & Nathan as examples. In the end Emma seems quiet & reflective, & more than a little saddened. Excusing himself Masters suggests that he has to check up on things, & leaves Emma & the Novas alone...

[At the Rashoud Facility]

The facility's medical wing looks pretty much like a top-class hospital, with less white & more pastel colours. After various treatments & tests Alex, Derek, Will, & Nullifier (who regains conciousness) are feeling much better (if not fully healed in all cases) & are met by both Ash & a rather overweight man in an ill-fitting suit that Ash introduces as "Detective Bradley". Bradley asks the Novas for their statements on the various incidents of the night, & in particular wants to know about both Nullifier's relationship with the mysterious fire-wielding female Nova, & the deaths that occured in the Masters building. Relating to the last point he leads the Novas to the viewing window into the facility's reinforced testing room - inside they can see the anima-shrouded frosty figure of Glacier, just waking up.

"So", begins Bradley, "is that the guy who murdered those terrorists? He attacked some cops earlier this evening, but they managed to put him down."

Before anyone can answer there is a sharp cough, & a well-dressed, tall, middle-aged gentleman enters the viewing-room. The newcomer is a well-tanned white man, with a slight smile playing on his lips, & a twinkle in his eye - his suit is pure white.

"Sorry to interupt", he says with a distinct upper-class accent, "James Sinjin-Smythe at your service." he shakes any hands that seem willing, before glancing through the window at Glacier,

"My employers wish to offer that young man legal representation", he looks 'round at the other Novas, "& I'd also like to extend that offer to each of you. It's part of the extensive services we provide to those who wish to work with us. Maybe you've heard of the DeVries Agency?"...

Explaining the concept of Novas is particularly difficult, but he points to Terry & Nathan as examples. In the end Emma seems quiet & reflective, & more than a little saddened. Excusing himself Masters suggests that he has to check up on things, & leaves Emma & the Novas alone...

Terry lies his hand on Emma's and bows his head to look into her eyes:

"I truly am sorry Emma. I can't imagine what it feels like to skip through half a century and realize you've been doing these...things...while you were "sleeping". - Terry squeezes her hand - I'll do everything I can to help you - and looks at the floor...- but you must realise that the safety of the people comes first."

Terry lets go of her hand and stands up turning his back on her. These past few hours seem to have worked wonders on him as power seems to seep through his pores again. He raises his eyes to the ceiling and his voice gently rumbles

"Lord knows what would've happened had we not been there today and as the hours pass, one thought keeps popping back to my head: How long until "she" comes back? - Terry turns back with sad emerald eyes that seem to look directly into her soul - Emma you've got to help us. Tell us everything you know. How long can we expect to have you with us? Are there triggers that bring "her" back? Do you know what started it? -Trying to smile comfortingly - I won't have you forgotten in a box again...if there's any good to come of this it's that you've woken at a time where other "Gods" can try to restrain "her" antics and maybe even cure your ailment..."

Glacier lies prone on a steel (& freezing cold, not surprisingly) table. He does not open his eyes; neither does he attempt to move.

Ouch.

What the hell did I drink at that damn party last-

He opens his eyes.

Oh.

He looks around the giant room. The walls are made of reinforced steel, the door resembles an airlock on a spacecraft built by someone who wasn't quite sure how much reinforcement was needed and was deathly terrified of a vacuum, and the window, through which he can see some of the other Novas and two other men whom he does not recognize. Despite his current dillemma, Glacier finds the ludicrously high security of the cell funny.

Who do they think they're incarcerating, Cestus Pa.. He trails off as it occurs to him that he could probably break through anything less, and that even the current security would probably be insufficient to restrain the T2M leader. He breaks off this train of thought as he realizes that he can hear the conversation that the others are holding - evidently the room has some hidden speakers. He wonders how they could afford to take the chance that he might find them and hurl them at the window, then realizes that it probably doesn't matter - that particular window is probably stronger than the rest of the building anyway.

\"Sorry to interupt\", he says with a distinct upper-class accent, \"James Sinjin-Smythe at your service.\" he shakes any hands that seem willing, before glancing through the window at Glacier,

Glacier growls as the man turns his gaze on him. What are you looking at, buddy.. His remarks are audible to those observing, evidently due to another set of speakers, and from the abrupt look Mr. Sinjin-Smythe gives him, he realizes the same.

\"My employers wish to offer that young man legal representation\", he looks 'round at the other Novas, \"& I'd also like to extend that offer to each of you. It's part of the extensive services we provide to those who wish to work with us. Maybe you've heard of the DeVries Agency?\"...

Realizing that he can take part in the conversation normally, Glacier decides to assert himself (always a truly terrible idea that he can never resist).

Sorry, no. What interest does the DeVries Agency have in my freedom, Mr., umm... what was your name again?

(The "no" means that he does not recognize the agency's name; he's not turning down the guy's offer of help).

Completely healed, and feeling much after a few hours of sleep, Alex feels on top of the world. After thinking about it, he believes that he can engineer a ā€œkeyā€ for his apartment made out of darkness. But even if he canā€™t, he has the number of a locksmith. Alex is wearing what appears to be a black leather jacket and various other black clothes. The whole outfit looks quite nice and even matches his hair and eyes.

Alex shakes the manā€™s hand and wonders, *what would I need a lawyer for*? Then he painfully remembers a man going SPLAT, other people being exposed (or almost exposed) to nerve gas, an SUV almost coming down on a crowd of civilians, and a light bulb goes off.

(To Bradley) ā€œAfter due consideration I donā€™t wish to give a statement until after consultation with an attorney.ā€

(To the lawyer) ā€œYou know, I really think we need to talk. On a side note, I've heard good things about DeVries...ā€

(To himself) *Iā€™ll bet a good lawyer can make the difference between ā€œdefending yourself and othersā€ vs. ā€œindiscriminate use of lethal forceā€.*

[On board the Skymaster]

Emma watches & listens to Terry, captivated by the Nova's superhuman presence, & maybe just a little frightened ::blink . She blushes when he touches her hand ::blush .

Terry turns back with sad emerald eyes that seem to look directly into her soul - Emma you've got to help us. Tell us everything you know. How long can we expect to have you with us? Are there triggers that bring \"her\" back? Do you know what started it? -Trying to smile comfortingly - I won't have you forgotten in a box again...if there's any good to come of this it's that you've woken at a time where other \"Gods\" can try to restrain \"her\" antics and maybe even cure your ailment...\"

Emma looks at the floor nervously, then answers as best she can in a soft voice,

\"Dr Maxwell told me that 'she' comes out when those Atenist people chant a pagan prayer of some kind - I don't know what exactly. He called it a 'post hypnotic suggestion', but never managed to remove it. I think it may also happen if I'm really hurt or in danger, but I'm not sure - my memories tend to get a bit fuzzy where 'she' is concerned. In fact, I can't recall anything Nefertiti does - it was a long time before I was willing to believe that we shared a body at all.\"

She shifts uncomfortably, before continuing,

\"The Doctor said that I was 'Chi expressive', that I expressed zero-point energy through my physical being, possibly through a direct manipulation of G.D. Wasserman's M-fields. It was all a little confusing, as was most of his work on Quantum Evolutionary Divergence...\"

She looks up suddenly, as if struck by a thought,

\"Is P.R.I.M.E. still active? They should have the Doctor's notes.\"

[At the Rashoud facility]

Sorry, no. What interest does the DeVries Agency have in my freedom, Mr., umm... what was your name again?

The man in the white suit smiles through the window,

\"James Sinjin-Smythe. DeVries has an interest in all Novas, Mr Walker. You're own particular talents could be put to great, & lucrative, use if you chose to come & work for DeVries National Tactical Solutions - the Elite standard.\"

He glances at Detective Bradley (who is getting more annoyed by the second), before adding,

\"Considering the other options open to you we felt you might appreciate our help.\"

ā€œYou know, I really think we need to talk. On a side note, I've heard good things about DeVries...ā€

Sinjin-Smythe smiles at Alex,

"Glad to hear it Mr Green, we like to give a good impression. If what I've heard about your exploits tonight is accurate then I'm sure we have a place at DVNTS for you too."

At that point Ash decides to chip in,

"With all due respect to Mr Sinjin-Smythe & his employers I feel compelled to ask whether you, Alex, & you", she looks through the window at Glacier, "John, are willing to become killers-for-hire? Mr Masters is also perfectly willing to offer legal aid where necessary, & has a rather better record of co-operation with the authorities than DeVries does..."

"Which", interupts Sinjin-Smythe, "doesn't necessarily mean you have a better record of protecting your clients, does it? Tell me, what would Master's plan be for young Mr Walker here, for example?"

"Well", Ash replies cautiously, "obviously the safety of John & those around him are the most important things, so we'd encourage him to seek help in controlling his Nova abilities."

"In other words", declares the DeVries agent, "You'd let Utopia keep him locked up until he's not 'dangerous' any more! That's a fine life for a young man just come into some spectacular gifts! We'd teach him to use his powers the best way he can, & pay him well to do so.", he turns back to John, "Which sounds better to you, Mr Walker?"

Detective Bradley's finally had enough ::angry ,

"Look here, the kid attacked cops - he's going down for that, no matter what any two-bit shyster-lawyer says! And you", he turns on Alex, prodding him hard in the chest with his forefinger, "what are you so afraid of, eh? It was you who killed those men, right? Is that it, boy, are you a murderer?" ::angry

Detective Bradley's finally had enoughĀ  ,

\"Look here, the kid attacked cops - he's going down for that, no matter what any two-bit shyster-lawyer says! And you\", he turns on Alex, prodding him hard in the chest with his forefinger, \"what are you so afraid of, eh? It was you who killed those men, right? Is that it, boy, are you a murderer?\"

::angry "Hey! Back off, those men would have been murderers had I not errupted after I was pumped with lead! They shot the hell out of me, detective!"

(Okay, I made a small mistake in my last post - Glacier would have heard of the DeVries agency, but unfortunately I hadn't.)

Glacier adopts a more comfortable position, sitting cross-legged on top of the table, in order to listen to all of the above with consideration. He looks as though he is about to speak when Mr. Bradley gives his little outburst. He watches and listens calmly, though privately he's peeved at being judged by this rather self-righteous man in his little detective clothes (though a quick look at his own tattered attire prompts him to decide not to judge people quite so quickly based on their clothing). When Bradley finishes, Glacier gives him a cold stare. When he speaks, however, it is slowly, as though he is still weighing his words even as he speaks them.

It seems pretty obvious to me.. that the only crime I've committed, that wasn't in the interests of defending the partygoers from the nerve gas, was resisting arrest. I couldn't have fought the terrorists effectively without powering up, right? Yeah, I underestimated Alex and Terry... but I'm not even that bothered about it. After all, they were willing to kill every man, woman and child at that party just in the name of whatever twisted goals they were after.. And as for resisting arrest, I panicked. Plain and simple. I didn't attack the cops, for the record - I just walked over to them like they told me - I didn't power down because I would have died. But, he adds with a slight smirk, I guess I can't blame them for being a little high-strung. I'm not the type to hold a grudge.

So. I'd say that I couldn't be held responsible for my actions - I'd like to hear any arguments to the contrary, I admit I'm not quite an objective judge. Protecting the people around me doesn't seem like too much of an issue either, not as long as I can just power down when I don't need my powers. That said, Ash, accepting Mr. Sinjin-Smythe's offer doesn't seem that dangerous, especially if the alternative involves as much unneccessary and undeserved (I think) imprisonment. His comments to Ash have an unspoken question mark at the end, as though he can't understand why she would be so strongly opposed to it.

Sinjin-Smythe smiles at Alex, \"Glad to hear it Mr. Green, we like to give a good impression. If what I've heard about your exploits tonight is accurate then I'm sure we have a place at DVNTS for you too.\"

At that point Ash decides to chip in,

\"With all due respect to Mr. Sinjin-Smythe & his employers I feel compelled to ask whether you, Alex, & you\", she looks through the window at Glacier, \"John, are willing to become killers-for-hire? Mr. Masters is also perfectly willing to offer legal aid where necessary, & has a rather better record of co-operation with the authorities than DeVries does...\"

Alex thinks, *Good stuff. A bidding war can't be that far off.*

Detective Bradley's finally had enough ::angry ,

\"...And you\", he turns on Alex, prodding him hard in the chest with his forefinger, \"what are you so afraid of, eh? It was you who killed those men, right? Is that it, boy, are you a murderer?\" ::angry

Alex starts to angrily respond, opens his mouth and then just closes it.

(To himself) *That's it, keep the mouth shut when dealing with the police. Answering, \"Yes but I was justified\" sounds like such a bad idea.* Instead Alex just says to the Detective, \"We live in a legalistic age. I somehow doubt that you have my interests first and foremost in mind.\"

(To both Ash & Sinjin-Smythe) \"Well, not to stand on technicalities, especially with all the commotion earlier, but at the moment neither of you have actually made a job offer. But I'd be very interested in what anyone has to say.\" *Big talk for someone who doesn't have a dime on him*, he thinks to himself.

Glacier said, ...the only crime I've committed, that wasn't in the interests of defending the partygoers from the nerve gas, was resisting arrest. I couldn't have fought the terrorists effectively without powering up, right? Yeah, I underestimated Alex and Terry...Ā  I'm not the type to hold a grudge...Ā  Protecting the people around me... unneccessary and undeserved (I think) imprisonment.
Alex almost chokes at some of this, but since he is keeping his mouth shut, he is going to keep his mouth shut.

\"Dr Maxwell told me that 'she' comes out when those Atenist people chant a pagan prayer of some kind - I don't know what exactly. He called it a 'post hypnotic suggestion', but never managed to remove it. I think it may also happen if I'm really hurt or in danger, but I'm not sure - my memories tend to get a bit fuzzy where 'she' is concerned.

\"Thats good to know...if you're right that means we're in no immediate danger as long as we keep you safe on this ship...or anywhere away from the Atenists.\"

She shifts uncomfortably, before continuing,

\"The Doctor said that I was 'Chi expressive', that I expressed zero-point energy through my physical being, possibly through a direct manipulation of G.D. Wasserman's M-fields. It was all a little confusing, as was most of his work on Quantum Evolutionary Divergence...\"

She looks up suddenly, as if struck by a thought,

\"Is P.R.I.M.E. still active? They should have the Doctor's notes.\"

Terry frowns and looks towards Nathan

'I haven't heard of P.R.I.M.E., have you? Another Utopia acquisition maybe? I'm afraid I'm not a scientist so I wouldn't understand any of the "chi" or quantum stuff. Maybe that metal guy can help us? Or one of Master's scientists. I can't vouch for the other guests, but Masters and I will do what we can for you."

Terry offers his hand to Emma

"Come, we'll see what we can find on the net, thats some kind of electronic library and telephone system by the way. Maybe we can find out what happened to P.R.I.M.E.; Masters might know but he's probably busy handling the media right now. Besides, if we don't find anything at least we can show you what happened while you were sleeping." ::smile

Glacier has to stop himself from grinning at Alex's coughing fit at his BS (though he is a little annoyed, after all, he kept a straight face when Alex was talking).

Hey, I can't be held responsible for what the bear does. I readily admit that he is a little violent and does have a tendency to hold grudges. But again, I don't need to be powered up all the time, and I can control it completely when I'm dormant.

Terry frowns and looks towards Nathan

'I haven't heard of P.R.I.M.E., have you? Another Utopia acquisition maybe? I'm afraid I'm not a scientist so I wouldn't understand any of the \"chi\" or quantum stuff. Maybe that metal guy can help us? Or one of Master's scientists.

Nathan shakes his head at Terry's question.

\"Nope. Never heard of it. Not that it's surprising, since it's at least fifty years old... Utopia is newer than that, isn't it? As for the science terms... I'm not a scientist, but my guess is that those are just different words for quantum. Masters did say that the atenist religion had a few points when compared to what we know about quantum today.\"

I can't vouch for the other guests, but Masters and I will do what we can for you.\"

\"You said it, Terry. We'll give you all the help we can, Emma. Not that I know what I can do, but I'll try to think of something... ::smile \"

Terry offers his hand to Emma

\"Come, we'll see what we can find on the net, thats some kind of electronic library and telephone system by the way. Maybe we can find out what happened to P.R.I.M.E.; Masters might know but he's probably busy handling the media right now. Besides, if we don't find anything at least we can show you what happened while you were sleeping.\" ::smile

"I don't think you need to go very far... There's bound to be an online computer or two in this lounge. And I know a couple of good interactive multimedia history sites." He smiles at Emma. "We should have you up to speed in no time."

[At the Rashoud facility]

\"Hey! Back off, those men would have been murderers had I not errupted after I was pumped with lead! They shot the hell out of me, detective!\"

Bradley turns on Will, still fuming ::angry ,

"So you think it's ok for private citizens to take the law into their own hands, to execute criminals then, do you? Or maybe you're one of those Teragen sympathisers - you think that Novas are all above the law? Well that won't fly in my town, mister, vigillantes are as bad as the criminals they claim to hunt."

He then glares at Alex,

"Does that go for you too, 'killer'? You a Terat?"

Glancing through the window at John again he comments,

"The kid's obviously trying for some kinda' insanity plea - I'll leave that one for the psych-boys to figure out. As for whether he was protecting people or not, we'll see what statements we get from the eye-witnesses. In either case, if this 'bear' is his dangerous side, & only comes out when he 'powers up', I'm sure we can get a court order to ban him from doing just that."

Ash tries to speak soothingly to the detective,

"I'm not sure that this is the time for accusations, Detective. Masters International will co-operate fully with your investigations, naturally, so it may be wise to reserve your judgement until after you've seen the footage from our security systems? Personally, I was witness to several of these men acting to save the lives of all of us at the party. As for young John here: I understand that it is Utopia's policy to keep all recently erupted Novas who visit these facilities under observation for 48 hours. Rather than arresting him, & risking the possibility that you're wrong about him, why not consider asking Utopia to keep him here under standard medical observation for now? 48 hours should be plenty of time for you to ascertain his guilt or innocence, shouldn't it?"

Bradley grumbles to himself, then reluctantly agrees, adding,

"None of you are to leave town - right now you're all suspects.", before turning & stomping from the room, slaming the door behind him.

Sinjin-Smythe appears ready to speak, but Ash puts a finger over his lips so she can speak herself,

"Although DeVries may sound like a tempting offer to most Novas, the bottom line is that they kill people for money. I know that I speak for Mr Masters when I say that any of you who are comfortable enough with that concept to consider a place with DeVries are not the sort of people we want working with Masters International anyway. For those of you who actually possess a moral compass, M.I. would be happy to offer you positions suitable to your wants, needs, & particular talents."

She removes her finger from the DeVries man's lips. He smiles in a rather sarcastic way, & even applauds a bit, saying,

"Bravo, bravo! Masters International takes the moral high ground - whilst still maintaining it's position as one of the world's largest weapons manufacturers. Let's not delude ourselves here people, no big-business is run as a charity, no corporation is squeeky-clean. At least DeVRies is honest about what it does - &, despite what Miss Ash here seems to think, that isn't to kill people for money. Yes we provide Nova solutions for military problems, but we don't make those problems in the first place - we just clear them up with the minimum of fuss, bother, & loss of human life. We also hire Novas out as bodyguards, architects, fashion consultants & infinite other jobs. Our mandate is to get the people in need of Nova aid together with the Nova's who can provide it - & to make that process as lucrative as possible for all those involved. Simple business, that's all, nothing 'sinister'. Is that such a bad thing?" ::halo

[Onboard the Skymaster]

Nathan does indeed notice several well-hidden access points in various places throughout the lounge, & it's not long before the trio are reviewing the important events of recent history (such as the Galatea explosion & it's effects on the world).

Emma appears to relax more, thanking the two Novas for their kindness (although she seems to be keeping nearer Terry than the glowing-eyed Nathan). She explains her references to P.R.I.M.E. as best she can,

"Philanthropic Research Into Medical Excellence - the brainchild of Dr Maxwell, funded by Mr Masters. The Doctor wanted to expand the horizons of the scientific & medical world for the benefit of all. I believe that when the Doctor was lost for some period of time, Mr Masters sold controlling interest in the project to a gentleman named Maxwell Mercer - although Doctor Maxwell was reinstated as head of the project when he returned."

\"So you think it's ok for private citizens to take the law into their own hands, to execute criminals then, do you? Or maybe you're one of those Teragen sympathisers - you think that Novas are all above the law? Well that won't fly in my town, mister, vigillantes are as bad as the criminals they claim to hunt.\"

Glacier loses his temper.

Listen up, pal! NO executions occurred up there! All the deaths that occurred happened because the situation got out of control, and frankly, the situation was already out of control - your control! Your town, huh? You're doing a damn good job of protecting it then; how many people would be pushing up daisies now if we hadn't been there?

\"The kid's obviously trying for some kinda' insanity plea - I'll leave that one for the psych-boys to figure out. As for whether he was protecting people or not, we'll see what statements we get from the eye-witnesses. In either case, if this 'bear' is his dangerous side, & only comes out when he 'powers up', I'm sure we can get a court order to ban him from doing just that.\"

Glacier calms down when he hears this, realizing that the detective actually considers him a threat to innocent people. You know, I don't power up when I'm around people anyway, unless I have to - Q.E.D. The bear isn't dangerous either if no one's around to get hurt.

As for young John here: I understand that it is Utopia's policy to keep all recently erupted Novas who visit these facilities under observation for 48 hours. Rather than arresting him, & risking the possibility that you're wrong about him, why not consider asking Utopia to keep him here under standard medical observation for now? 48 hours should be plenty of time for you to ascertain his guilt or innocence, shouldn't it?\"

That makes sense to me. Out of curiosity, where would you hold me other than a Rashoud facility anyway? Do they really even have this level of security at any kind of prison?

\"Simple business, that's all, nothing 'sinister'. Is that such a bad thing?\"

Certainly not; the goals you mention, while not particularly ambitious, are certainly not illegal. However, I'm going to have to turn down your offer anyway - Masters has proven himself to be a fairly trustworthy person tonight, so I'm gonna trust him. Besides, it does sound like the emphasis of your company is on the military, and I don't really care to spend my time and talents exacerbating what are already serious problems. Glacier sighs. Hoping he doesn't sound like too much of an idiot, he adds: And despite what many of you seem to think - I'm not a murderer.

Emma appears to relax more, thanking the two Novas for their kindness (although she seems to be keeping nearer Terry than the glowing-eyed Nathan). She explains her references to P.R.I.M.E. as best she can,

\"Philanthropic Research Into Medical Excellence - the brainchild of Dr Maxwell, funded by Mr Masters. The Doctor wanted to expand the horizons of the scientific & medical world for the benefit of all. I believe that when the Doctor was lost for some period of time, Mr Masters sold controlling interest in the project to a gentleman named Maxwell Mercer - although Doctor Maxwell was reinstated as head of the project when he returned.\"

"Mercer huh? That kinda rings a bell, lets see..."

Terry types in Maxwell Mercer's name and waits for various info to pop up

"Of course! Like I said, a Project Utopia acquisition...or Aeon Society, maybe you've heard of them? - Terry pushes back from the desk and looks at Emma - I've never had anything to do with them myself but most novas have. Nathan'd probably know better than I but they seem all right...still, Mr Masters, thats Masters Jr. to you, didn't seem too keen on letting them know about you. I guess we might as well hit the sack and wait for his take on all this. It is getting rather late..." (I assume the party started at night after all...)

Terry escorts Emma to her room and inspects it to make sure its safe (especially windows...as a flier he's kinda paranoid about flying stalkers bearing egyptian chant recordings.. ::wink ) Finally, seemingly satisfied Terry walks back to Emma:

"Well...the place seems perfectly fine, so I guess this is goodnight? - Terry glances towards Nathan and stands looking rather awkard - So, uh, if you need anything just...knock on my door...sleep well."

\"So you think it's ok for private citizens to take the law into their own hands, to execute criminals then, do you? Or maybe you're one of those Teragen sympathisers - you think that Novas are all above the law? Well that won't fly in my town, mister, vigillantes are as bad as the criminals they claim to hunt.\"

He then glares at Alex, \"Does that go for you too, 'killer'? You a Terat?\"

Alex stubbornly remains quiet. Silently he thinks, *Is he actually upset or is this just a ploy? Bad cop to someone else's good cop? Whatever game he is playing, I'm not stepping up to take part.*
Ash tries to speak soothingly to the detective, \"I'm not sure that this is the time for accusations, Detective. Masters International will co-operate fully with your investigations...?\"
Alex wonders, *Will you now? Including Emma?\"

Certainly not; the goals you mention, while not particularly ambitious, are certainly not illegal. However, I'm going to have to turn down your offer anyway - Masters has proven himself to be a fairly trustworthy person tonight, so I'm gonna trust him. Besides, it does sound like the emphasis of your company is on the military, and I don't really care to spend my time and talents exacerbating what are already serious problems. Glacier sighs. Hoping he doesn't sound like too much of an idiot, he adds: And despite what many of you seem to think - I'm not a murderer.

*Well said and well thought. There is more to our bearish friend than meets the eye. And he has a point. Given his nature, putting the combat machine that he is into those kinds of situations would be a real problem... hmm...

There is a lesson here. Although I'm stronger and less aggressive, I'm probably a combat machine too. And if it would be a bad idea to set him lose in those sorts of situations, then it is just ego to imagine I would be different. OK, provided they actually can do what they claim, Masters it is.*

Nullifier sits quietly watching the conversation for several minutes before finally speaking. A clear, deep voice rings out from the nova, covered once again in skintight jet-black eufiber, "I think that perhaps this is not the best place to be discussing matters of business. We should arrange for the release of our young friend with the temper and then be on our way to a more discreet setting, before anybody makes any rash decisions concerning their futures. "

[The Rashoud facility]

Ash nods at Nullifier's comments,

"You have a good point. If those of you who wish to pursue employment at Masters International leave contact numbers with me I'll make all the arrangements for private interviews; and", she adds, glancing at John, "where necessary, legal representation."

Addressing John through the window she says,

"John, the room you're in isn't a 'prison', it's the facility's testing area for Nova powers. As far as I understand it the only reason you're in there is because your 'animus' is too destructive for any normal medical room. I suggest that you co-opporate fully with the facility's staff - they can help quantify & understand your abilities. It'll also help undo some of the damage your 'encounter' with the police has obviously done. Ok?"

Sinjin-Smythe looks unconvinced at Ash's comments,

"Well, Mr Walker, you believe what you want to, of course. However, if you ever feel the urge to seek your freedom, our number's in the book."

He turns to the others,

"DeVries' doors are always open to those Novas seeking useful employment - feel free to call, or just drop in, to discuss things."

[On the airship]

\"Well...the place seems perfectly fine, so I guess this is goodnight? - Terry glances towards Nathan and stands looking rather awkard - So, uh, if you need anything just...knock on my door...sleep well.\"

Emma blushes ::blush for a moment, before thanking the two Novas again, & retiring for the night.

When Masters returns he explains that P.R.I.M.E. was absorbed into the Triton Foundation when it was formed, along with various other research projects, but that his own company has retained all of Emma's medical files. He also again offers Terry a job, & inquires if Nathan is seeking employment?

"Ah well", he says, relaxing into a comfortable leather armchair, glass of brandy in his hand, "that was one heck of a night - rampaging gunmen & Novas, posion gas, ancient cults, a city threatened with destruction, & an expensive repair bill for my home. All in all I'd say it was about average for a Masters' party." ::sly ::wink

End of Chapter One

[Downtime - I'll get around to PM each of you with your xp. In the meantime, feel free to either post or PM (if it's really secretive) what your characters are doing during downtime (probably a few weeks worth) - an extra xp or two may find their way to those with entertaining descriptions ::wink ! Also feel free to send me (constructive) comments, etc., on the game & where you may like to see it head. Oh, & be sure to mention any of the other PCs you found particularly entertaining, as the most popular may get a small xp award ::thumbsup ! Cheers. ::biggrin ]

Terry Turns on the TV in his apartment, the view shows various Icons and novas walking the red carpet to the MI building

ā€œ[ā€¦] Novo action in New York yesterday as MI held its annual Childrenā€™s Benefit Charity bash. The party was apparently abruptly interrupted by an as of yet unidentified terrorist group.ā€

View changes to show a crying woman outside the MI building in a ripped party dress

ā€œThey (snif) threatened to kill us with p..p.poison gas. If it wasnā€™t for that black latex nova and his force field weā€™d all be dead nowā€¦ā€

View changes to anchor woman

ā€œOur cameras werenā€™t allowed inside the building but we did manage to catch Nova Terry Nathanson flying to the rescue and engage in conversation with our helicopter film crew shortly before they gave their livesā€¦ā€

View changes to MI security trucks pulling in outside the building and uniformed men running out and into the building. An off camera voice bursts (presumably the camera manā€™s producer) ā€œGeezus, Jack turn around, quick!ā€ The camera shakily turns about, scans a bit towards the middle of the building and follows Terry zooming towards the top of the building. As he reaches the top the view changes to a top down view (from the helicopter) showing Terry circling around the building and looking through the windows. He pauses, looks up towards the camera and suddenly zips towards the viewer, apparently surprising the cameraman as he becomes out of focus for a second and stops only feet away:

"Evening! Would you be so kind as to honk your horn, flash the windows, or do anything to warn me of anything unusual happening up here while I'm inside? It'd be most appreciated - winks at the camera - Thanks!"

View changes back to anchor

ā€œIndeed this was only minutes before the courageous crew gave us astounding footage of an unidentified golden Nova who gave quite a scare to the city and apparently instigated the New York Nova Rampage.ā€

View changes to a banking view of Nefertiti hovering in the sky. Her brows visibly furrow as she looks towards the camera. A glowing nova suddenly flies between her and the viewer and says something inaudible under the sound of the helicopterā€™s chopping. Nefertiti extends her hand and the view briefly changes into staticā€¦

"Christ" Terry turns off the TV having already seen the rest of the footage as its been the only thing on the tube all morning. He gets up and starts writing a note:

Dear Susanne, thank you for an outstanding dance. I'd like to apologise for flying off without notice but as you know duty called...hope you made it home safe and sound,

Terry. P.S. Sorry for the intrusion, but using a delivery service is just asking for N! coverage...

Terry jumps on the opnet, takes a note of Susanne's address and heads off to a nearby flower shop. Taking a dozen yellow roses from the gawking clerk Terry then flies off to Susanne's apartment and lets himself in through a window (opening the latch with his powers). After a quick search for a vase he leaves the bouquet and note on a table and lets himself out, locking the window with his powers again. After a scan of the city making sure its doing all right, Terry flies to the Skymaster to check on Emma and perhaps have a talk with Masters...

(OOC: Just thought I'd put it here since anyone rereading the game will just have to read one thread...)

Somewhere in New York Susanne Winter returns to her apartment, startled to see the flowers & note. After getting over her initial shock she decides to read the note before calling the police, & is relieved to find out it's from... him...

Dear Susanne, thank you for an outstanding dance. I'd like to apologise for flying off without notice but as you know duty called...hope you made it home safe and sound,

Terry. P.S. Sorry for the intrusion, but using a delivery service is just asking for N! coverage...

The beautiful young woman smiles to herself, then looks again at the flowers...

"Hmmm", she thinks, "Yellow - for friendship... Let's see what we can do to upgrade that to red, shall we..."

With that thought she turns to making plans...

[On the Phone]

"...well you can hardly blame me for what happened at the party Jany... ::biggrin Yeah I'm fine, the doctors say I'm doing well and they didn't find anything wierd or creepy, they gave me this lecture on Taint, horrible stuff ::confused . Mum's still shaken up though... Dad? He took it alot better than I expected, he went alittle pale that's all, hehehe he even bought me a suit of Eufibre... She collapsed as soon as I turned on the light show... What do you mean why did I do it? They thought I was kidding, though mum did give me a weird look when I first walked in but... Huh?... No, infact he called Masters staright away... I thought he was going to threaten him or something, instead he came out of his office and said I have to see masters in a couple of days for my new possition... ::smile I don't know, I find out what the job is when I see Masters... No I doubt it'll be that important, dad just pulled some strings by the sound of it, no doubt he blames Masters for what happened... No I'll be back tomorrow... ::sly I'm tempted to run back... ::crazy Ok ok, yeah I'll take a plane back, sheesh... I'll find out the time then you can pick me up. So what's new with you?..."

OOC: Sorry for not keeping in touch, been quite bust these last week(s).

During the meeting in the Rashoud facility, Derek keeps his opinions to himself, though his distaste with both Mr. Bradley and Mr. Sinjin-Smythe is plainly written across his face.

Mid-way through the heated exchange between Glacier and.... well, everyone else, he leans in to Ash:

"I'm ready to get out of here, just let me know where I need to sign for MI...." ::wink

Later....

In a quiet apartment, surrounded by boxes, it's apparent that Mr. Chalmers is moving. The TV is on, tuned to the news of the last couple days.

"Typical.... always the jocks who get the spotlight.... Though life is probably easier without the cameras..... Hmmmm......."

Chapter 2 - Showdown at High Noon

The town is a small settlement straight out of the "wild west". Wooden store-fronts line the mainstreet, a stagecoach pulls up outside the hotel, cowboys hitch their horses outside the saloon, & people go about their business as always.

Suddenly the scene of nineteenth century frontier prosperity is shattered, as a beautiful young Native American woman is hurled out of the saloon doors to lie sprawled in the dust of the road. Several rough looking cowboys follow her out, as mothers avert the eyes of their children ::blink , & "decent folk" turn away from the spectacle. The Indian woman tries to get up, but one of the cowboys kicks her to the ground - his companions laugh. They stop laughing & turn as another figure exits the saloon. This man cuts a magnificent figure - in his early twenties, a shade over six feet tall, with blonde hair & blue eyes - clad in the cowboy outfit of a frontier rancher he appears to be the very definition of an American icon. Peering at the scene in the street from under the brim of his hat he says, slowly & clearly,

"Let her be, boys."

The cowboys seem to take offense at his tone, & start to square up to him,

"What's the matter", says the man who kicked the woman, "She your squaw?"

A crooked half-smile can be seen on the iconic figure's face ::sly , as he pushes the brim of his hat up slightly with one finger, & stares into the eyes of the men facing him, saying in a grim & determined voice,

"What if she is?"

A moment of tension passes between the men, the Indian woman, now behind the men who assaulted her, quietly regains her feet &, with a look of trepidation on her face, slowly retreats from the fight that's about to start...

..."CUT!", comes a yell from down the street, there is applause & everyone relaxes ::bigsmile . Assistants rush to the sides of the various actors, checking the Indian beauty is unhurt, touching up make-up, & offering much-needed cups of coffee or bottles of water. Behind the cameras William Masters gets up from his canvas "Executive Producer's" chair, smoothing down his open-necked white linin shirt & adjusting his mirrored sunglasses. The billionaire turns to his fellow VIP guests on the set of the latest Masters Global Media production,

"Well, what do you think? They tell me the script is one of those powerful 'historic drama' efforts - me, I always liked a good Western - I love Clint's pictures."

He smiles ::smile , then adds,

"I thought you could all use the break from New York, & that you might like to meet Janet..."

As her name is mentioned the Native American woman walks over to the group, her every movement a statement of grace & sensuality. As she closes her features alter - he skin tone lightens, her hair changes to waved plantinum-blonde, & her eyes become sparkling blue. By the time she reaches Masters' side to give him a friendly kiss on the cheek she can be recognised as Janet Thorne, the shape-shifting star actress of MGM & (if the press is to be believed) the 'most beautiful woman in the world' ::cheesy .

"William, darling", she beams at Masters, "Who are all these gorgeous people you've brought to see me?"

By way of introduction Masters says,

"This beautiful young lady is Emma Nazir. She's... an old friend of the family.", Emma greets the star, looking only slightly embarrassed ::blush by Masters' words. She does look beautiful, in a loose white blouse & ankle-length pleated skirt (the pattern on which seems to have Spanish influences), her dark hair tied back from her dusky-skinned face & dark eyes.

"These other gentlemen", Masters indiactes the rest of the group with a sweep of his arm, "are the Novas who have recently signed with us at MI."

Janet's smile ::bigsmile lights the hearts the group of visitors, but before she can greet the guests properly she appears to remember something,

"Oh, William, you really must meet John Fabry, my co-star", she turns to wave over the iconic cowboy, "he's adorable!"

William (OOC: the other one, I knew I did something wrong, sorry Prof) [iC:] still eyeing Janet, though not very obvious about it, elbows Nathan and whispers

"Hey watch your jaw pal, one step and you could serously hurt yourself". * ::biggrin teasing Nathan as much to distract himself from the actress as anything else.

*Nathan and Will hit it off over the past few days after meeting each other again at the MI building.

John watches the Western scene with some amusement, his arms crossed over his chest. He is wearing only shorts, an undershirt, sandals, and a pair of sunglasses because of the sweltering sun (actually, the sun's just fine - it's us who are sweltering). The movie being filmed, which John, not particularly liking movies, isn't paying a great deal of attention to, seems to be currently focused on a town prone to random acts of violence (boy, I know what that's like), and a cowboy-type character meant to look "old-time tough" who means to show them the error of their ways. John watches as a bargoer kicks a woman to show how mean he is.

"What's the matter - she your squaw?"

The man gives the woman a lascivious grin.

"What if she is?"

At this, John is unable to restrain a snicker, despite Masters' warning that utter silence must be maintained. He had seen enough movies to know that the man would be making remarks like this directed at the woman throughout the entire movie, culminating in her falling in love with him and probably a ride off into the sunset. John takes note of a death glare from the direction of Masters.

"CUUUUT!"

"Well, what do you think? They tell me the script is one of those powerful 'historic drama' efforts - me, I always liked a good Western - I love Clint's pictures."

John considers telling his host that "A man's got to know his limitations", but decides not to.

A woman, who John is told is Janet Thorne, approaches. She is incredibly beautiful; John watches with fascination as her features adopt the more familiar caucasian characteristics of the famous actress. That woman is stunning.. she seems as though she were crafted to be like that.. wait, she was, of course. There's something artificial about her, though.. about everything here.. He sniffs the air uselessly, then a look of frustration crosses his face, and a hand reaches up to touch his nose - no better than a baseline's. Oh well.. can't have your cake and eat it too, as the saying goes. I wonder if there's any desert around here where I can go to power up later. I wonder.. do I tan, or just melt? John resolves to ask Masters about the desert after the show. In the meantime, at least there are agreeable people to hang out with, he thinks, listening to Will say, "Hey watch your jaw pal, one step and you could serously hurt yourself". He decides to join in, seeing an opening for a decent pun. "Hey - I don't want any more of your lip." He smirks at the other novas, challenging them to top it. Shouldn't be that hard, anyway..

At Janet's wave, John thanks his assistant for the bottled water, and strolls over to the group. "Howdy folks. Nice to meet all of you." Nodding his head to Masters, he smiles and says, "Mr. Masters, perhaps you wouldn't mind introducing me to your friends?"

listening to Will say, \"Hey watch your jaw pal, one step and you could serously hurt yourself\". He decides to join in, seeing an opening for a decent pun. \"Hey - I don't want any more of your lip.\" He smirks at the other novas, challenging them to top it. Shouldn't be that hard, anyway..

\"Hey popsicle, you'd better watch out, you're on fire. Between this, the sun and the ladies its a wonder you haven't melted into a puddle yet...Guess we'd better introduce ourselves.\"

\"This beautiful young lady is Emma Nazir. She's... an old friend of the family.\", Emma greets the star, looking only slightly embarrassedĀ  by Masters' words. She does look beautiful, in a loose white blouse & ankle-length pleated skirt (the pattern on which seems to have Spanish influences), her dark hair tied back from her dusky-skinned face & dark eyes.

As Terry walks towards the stars he rests his hands on Emma's shoulder's and whispers something in her ear. She turns her head slightly to see him as he winks and leaves her with a smile on her face to introduce himself:

\"Mr. Masters, perhaps you wouldn't mind introducing me to your friends?\"

"Please, allow me. Mr. Fabry, Ms. Thorne, Terry Nathanson; just call me Terry. -Terry shakes their hands - its a pleasure meeting you! I've always wondered what went into the making of one of these films...Do you choose your looks yourself Ms. Thorne or is it as the director wants it?"

Archived