Aberrant: Quantum Zero - Quantum Zero

ProfPotts

"Devries?!? Can you afford that?" 

Nathan lowers his shades and gives Terry a disbelieving look.

"I guess I don't mind that, if you can arrange it. I just have to erase some of my numbers. Oh, and a few messages..." 

He picks up his phone again, and starts pushing buttons. That done, he throws it back on the ground and faces Terry, his hand outstretched to shake.

"I hope we can get back to what used to pass for normal some time soon... Just drop me somewhere in New York, and I'll get in touch when I've talked to Emma. OK?"

"You coming, Mike...?"

Mike sticks his hand in his pocket, pulls out his cell phone and hands it to Terry. "Ready... could you drop us somewhere near the MI building? I've got a 'hot' date tonight, and would hate to be late..."

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"This is working out much better than I expected."
Janet's smile, as always, lights up the room,

"Quite. With two such handsome men around, Liz & I are feeling spoilt rotten... & it's wonderful!" ::biggrin

"We aim to please..." ::wink

Ms Cable blushes  ::blush , but nods her agreement - Vinnie suddenly feels her hand squeeze his under the table: all the Nova-level social activity must be, he imagines, quite a challenge for a normal person to deal with.

Vinnie returns the squeeze - briefly meeting her eyes as he does - and lets his hand brush against her leg as well. With his other hand he raises his own glass and returns John's toast.

Clinking glasses all around, he sets his glass down just as the main courses arrive. Glancing across the table at Vinnie and Elizabeth, he says, "Why don't we hold our discussion until after dinner? Both of you are more than welcome to join me at my home afterwards, and we can hammer out the details there."

"We'd love to!", Vinnie smiles.

"I might have a few recommendations for possible bodyguards as well, by the way. Of course, Liz knows better than me if they're available or interested, but I think both DMD and the Samurai would do an excellent job. That, too, depends on the details, of course... I must admit I don't quite see why you need one..." ::sly ::wink

Link subconsciously smiles as everything seems to be going well.. his methodical indexing of the old man's mind makes it easy to search. Before long, the sought after information is found...

as well as one substance, a thick black liquid, which is provided to him by the customer: the old man has no idea what the substance is.

*That could be the same drug that Vinnie found... That Demon's Blood stuff. I should probably get a sample... most likely not in my back. Wouldn't want to be an addict...*

Focusing on the customer he sees first an image of a tattooed biker - large & athletic - with several friends. They come to the old man when they've 'initiated' a new member - they come to receive their 'marks' - the sign of Baphomet: the goat-head in an inverted pentangle, but surrounded by a ring of arcane text unique to the group. The old man knows the design well, but doesn't know what it means. The faces of the biker - both male & female - are clear to Link.

The finding of the faces confirms for Link that he has found the right place and is going in the right direction. Keeping with the slow methodical pace, Link keeps digging for more information...

His work there is conducted by candle-light, & he is provided with rich food & drink as he works as well as, if he wishes, the services of the girl he's marking. The return trip matches the outgoing one (the old man usually sleeps both ways, but seems to think it takes a couple of hours in the car each way), & when he returns to his shop, a large sum of money has been added to his bank account.

... That appears to be the extent of the old man's knowledge on the subject...

And finally, closing the circle on the bikers to the more high society, the puzzle starts becoming more and more clear to Link. Continuing in his quest for information, Link slowly searches for a few more bits of information from the old man's mind. What image was the old man planning on marking him with and was he planning on using that "special" ink? And also, where did the exotic receptionist come from and how "willing" was she to the changes to her body?

Nate nods quietly.

"Yeah, I guess..." 

Terry nods but doesn't seem any more pleased about it than Nate is...

"Devries?!? Can you afford that?"

"No, I'm hoping that checking out cell phones is much cheaper than hiring out a nova...Nate, how did you zero in on Harbinger? Something placed in the book? Maybe he uses something similar with phones? If at all..."

He shakes his head

"I'm sorry if I'm coming off as so paranoid..." ::confused

He picks up his phone again, and starts pushing buttons. That done, he throws it back on the ground and faces Terry, his hand outstretched to shake.

"I hope we can get back to what used to pass for normal some time soon... Just drop me somewhere in New York, and I'll get in touch when I've talked to Emma. OK?"

"Sure..."

Terry takes Nate's hand and looks into his eyes, speaking with heartfelt conviction

"I'm not a terat, Nate..."

Mike sticks his hand in his pocket, pulls out his cell phone and hands it to Terry. "Ready... could you drop us somewhere near the MI building? I've got a 'hot' date tonight, and would hate to be late..."

Terry nods

"If you contact me either use a secure line or don't mention her. Ideally both...If she wants to meet ask me about the jungle...if she doesn't...Ask me if I'm having any luck in Egypt; I'm going to need it."

Terry then looks at Mike

"I don't know you half as well as I should Mike, I hope I can trust you."

He then looks beyond them and one of his telltale portals opens reveiling the conference room in the MI building.

"Hurry up guys..."

"You claimed to have chosen to belong to me instead of suffering the good Doctor's tender mercies. I pointed out that I'd already read what passes for your mind. Then I told you to expound your darkest fantasies - yet you failed to do so. What's so hard to grasp here? It was a simple command, yet you couldn't even bring yourself to follow that. What hope is there of you ever being any use to me?"

Hell! Never mind what she's not telling you, tell her anything she wants to hear!

With a glare at his interrogator, John snarls,

"All right, fine! I want to tear you apart and bathe in your entrails! Does that also 'speak volumes' about me? Please enlighten me!"

Unbelievable. The only person I've ever met that I've actually wanted to kill, and I can't for the life of me do a thing. ::sneaky2

Terry then looks at Mike

"I don't know you half as well as I should Mike, I hope I can trust you."

"Likewise."

He then looks beyond them and one of his telltale portals opens reveiling the conference room in the MI building.

"Hurry up guys..."

Mike nods back towards Terry then heads into the conference room. Once Nate follows him in, Mike turns to face him, "Well, that went well, don't you think? ::wink "

Hot Date #1:

The tailor dutifully attends Derek - paying little heed to the Nova himself as he goes about attending to a job his is obviously a lifelong expert at. Soon enough Interface is appropriately 'suited & booted' & ready for a night out with the good Doctor Chen.

Having been directed to a waiting MI limo, Derek steps inside to find the superhumanly attractive Doctor Chen dressed in a rather fetching evening gown of grey silk - a gown that follows the underlying curves of her body quite nicely... ::blush

Glancing up from the PDA she's rapidly tapping information into, Doctor Chen smiles,

"Derek - I see the tailor's done an excellent job."

Hot Date #2:

"We'd love to!"

Liz flashes Vinnie a quick look, but just as quickly manages to get her emotional panic under control. Taking a sip of wine to cover her continued uneasiness in the presence of so many of the 'beautiful people' she smiles a professional smile & says,

"Yes - thankyou, John."

The rest of the meal is just as delectable as the starters promised, but it eventually comes to an end & the two couples are ready to leave...

Hot Date #3:

Terry tries to open a warp to the conferance room inside the MI building - but fails completely! He feels the usual power building up but it just seems to fizzle-out as he directs it towards the inside of the great New York tower... ::nervous

Hot Date #4:

What image was the old man planning on marking him with and was he planning on using that "special" ink? And also, where did the exotic receptionist come from and how "willing" was she to the changes to her body?

Ian's mind is flooded with new impressions & images from the old man:

He'd choosen an image from Asian folklore about a princess who is forced to marry a wolf.

He wasn't going to use the 'special' ink - that's only for specific, special, customers - although his usual pigments are of the finest quality & all traditionally blended.

The 'receptionist' came to him when she was around thirteen - something of a cross between a gift & an apprentice given to him by her parents to acknowledge & honour his own status as a master of his craft (her parents are both on the traditional side & she was their third daughter - they couldn't afford to keep her, & the master tattooist is a well-respected elder in the local community). As far as the old man knows, she's quite happy with her life - as well as being his 'tapestry' to do with as he will, she cooks & cleans & generally looks after him. She also serves him in more intimate capacities, but he doesn't restrict her other relations - as long as she's dutiful & honours him. He also doesn't get the urges of youth as often as he used to - usually prefering a night watching soap operas over any bedroom athletics...

By now the tattoosit appears to have completed his preparations - walking over to the prone Elite he takes out his tattooist's needles & 'tappers'... ::lookaround

Hot Date #5:

Hell! Never mind what she's not telling you, tell her anything she wants to hear!

Psyche sighs... ::rolleyes

"All right, fine! I want to tear you apart and bathe in your entrails! Does that also 'speak volumes' about me? Please enlighten me!"

Unbelievable. The only person I've ever met that I've actually wanted to kill, and I can't for the life of me do a thing.

The T2M psychic looks down at the bound teenage Nova & shakes her head,

"You still don't understand, do you? I - am - a - telepath - I'm reading your mind right now. It is not about what you tell me, as much as it is about you obeying me - in thought as well as deed. Your only thoughts are towards rebellion. I can't work with you if you aren't willing to make the effort. Or do you like being a monster - loosing control & killing people? Does the pain go away when you do that? Do you forget that you lived whilst your parents died?"

Not a Hot Date:

Turning to Will once Derek has left, Masters nods, then shrugs,

"Look - it'll be a while before everyone's back here. I suggest you take some time to try & relax - hit the gym or something. We've just finished installing a new hydraulic 'weights' system for you super-strong types. I don't know the technical details, but I remember the Thing used to have one back in those old Fantastic Four comics in the Sixties..." ::biggrin

Terry tries to open a warp to the conferance room inside the MI building - but fails completely! He feels the usual power building up but it just seems to fizzle-out as he directs it towards the inside of the great New York tower... 

Terry frowns

"Masters is using quantum dampeners...I can't get you in the MI building..."

Terry looks at Nate

"'til now I wasn't sure these things existed. You might want to try and test it out Nate. Try to light a cigarette with your fingers or something...if it doesn't work it's probably safe from Telepathic scans, including those on Masters's payroll."

The green eyed nova shrugs

"Just a thought...I'll leave you on the roof of another building closeby."

Terry opens another warp

"You still don't understand, do you? I - am - a - telepath.

Oh ****!

"****!"

Dammit!

Stop!

I'm reading your mind right now. It is not about what you tell me, as much as it is about you obeying me - in thought as well as deed. Your only thoughts are towards rebellion. I can't work with you if you aren't willing to make the effort. Or do you like being a monster - loosing control & killing people? Does the pain go away when you do that? Do you forget that you lived whilst your parents died?"

In silent protest against the telepathic intrusion, Glacier stops the vocal side of his conversation.

The hell you say! I enjoy being a monster? I tried to stop the killings every time I had the chance! If you've really read my mind, you know that I had resolved to never let it out again before the raid. You attacked us, and Masters, the only person who's given me anything close to a reason to trust him, told me that more lives were at stake!

Turning to Will once Derek has left, Masters nods, then shrugs,

"Look - it'll be a while before everyone's back here. I suggest you take some time to try & relax - hit the gym or something. We've just finished installing a new hydraulic 'weights' system for you super-strong types. I don't know the technical details, but I remember the Thing used to have one back in those old Fantastic Four comics in the Sixties..." 

*Fantastic four? Oh yeah that old cartoon. It was in the sixties? Wow!* Will laughs unconvincingly "Ah yeah I'll be sure to do that, but I have something to ask, first".

Will takes on a more serious tone "I wonder if I could borrow one of the company investigators? If not I can hire some private investigator I supose but I'd rather someone I know will do a thorough job".

Will sighs ::confused "You see, I've had one of my visions again, at least I think I think it was. It was quite disturbing..." swollowing hard before continuing "I saw someone I care about put a gun to the back of my head... Ahh a .45 calibre armour-piercing explosive, I didn't even know that there was such a thing as armour piercing explosive before the vision ::confused . My best friend of more years than I can count is going to kill me for being a nova William. She hates me or at least is going to hate me, and all the rest of us novas and I want to know if it's a conscious decision on her part or if she's being influenced somehow".

Liz flashes Vinnie a quick look, but just as quickly manages to get her emotional panic under control. Taking a sip of wine to cover her continued uneasiness in the presence of so many of the 'beautiful people' she smiles a professional smile & says,

"Yes - thankyou, John."

The rest of the meal is just as delectable as the starters promised, but it eventually comes to an end & the two couples are ready to leave...

After a short conversation with the maitre'd to please pass compliments to the chef, John regroups with the others. Politely, he offers Liz and Vinnie a ride if they like, and directions to his penthouse if they'd rather meet there.

Soon enough, the four are all gathered in John's spacious livingroom, relaxing on luxuriously comfortable sofas. The fireplace gives off a warm glow as John pours an exquisite coffee from Elizabeth's native South Africa.

Settling onto the cushion next to Janet, he smiles at his guests. "Well, Liz. Earlier Vincent asked why I would need a bodyguard. Truth be told, I probably don't. But better to be safe then sorry, and I'm sure DeVries would love the publicity." He chuckles.

"Any recommendations? You already know my requirements."

Having been directed to a waiting MI limo, Derek steps inside to find the superhumanly attractive Doctor Chen dressed in a rather fetching evening gown of grey silk - a gown that follows the underlying curves of her body quite nicely... 

Glancing up from the PDA she's rapidly tapping information into, Doctor Chen smiles,

"Derek - I see the tailor's done an excellent job."

Derek stalls for a second or two as he steps in, taking in Doctor Chen.

"........"

"uh...."

::blush

"You look.... good, too."

He cautiously sits down, nervously clasping his hands.

Waiting for a moment when she seems less intent on the PDA:

"So, um, where are we going?"

He'd choosen an image from Asian folklore about a princess who is forced to marry a wolf.

He wasn't going to use the 'special' ink - that's only for specific, special, customers - although his usual pigments are of the finest quality & all traditionally blended.

*phew.. nothing to freaky, and no funky ink...*

The 'receptionist' came to him when she was around thirteen - something of a cross between a gift & an apprentice given to him by her parents to acknowledge & honour his own status as a master of his craft (her parents are both on the traditional side & she was their third daughter - they couldn't afford to keep her, & the master tattooist is a well-respected elder in the local community). As far as the old man knows, she's quite happy with her life - as well as being his 'tapestry' to do with as he will, she cooks & cleans & generally looks after him. She also serves him in more intimate capacities, but he doesn't restrict her other relations - as long as she's dutiful & honours him. He also doesn't get the urges of youth as often as he used to - usually prefering a night watching soap operas over any bedroom athletics...

* I'll check it out later with the girl.. but really she's not my worry.. if there was abuse, it'll get found with the outing of these other guys and problem is solved... *

Link ponders briefly changing the mind of the old man to make him think he got the tattoo.. then decides that wouldn't work, too many minds. So having found out what he wants to know, bites his lips and endures the marking....

Some point later...

Heading outside, Ian looks for his brother and tries to ignore the throbbing shoulder. If that was all the price he paid for the information he'd gathered.. then it was a price well spent.

By now the tattoosit appears to have completed his preparations - walking over to the prone Elite he takes out his tattooist's needles & 'tappers'...

Terry frowns

"Masters is using quantum dampeners...I can't get you in the MI building..."

"Big surprise..." ::sarcasm

Terry looks at Nate

"'til now I wasn't sure these things existed. You might want to try and test it out Nate. Try to light a cigarette with your fingers or something...if it doesn't work it's probably safe from Telepathic scans, including those on Masters's payroll."

::biggrin

"No, no...", Nathan laughs. "If it doesn't work it's because the cigarette's evaporated along with the ceiling and whatever unlucky bastard found himself on the next floor."

He shakes his head and adds

"Like I've told Derek a few times, my powers ain't exactly surgical instruments..." ::confused

"But point taken, Terry. I'll think of something."

The green eyed nova shrugs

"Just a thought...I'll leave you on the roof of another building closeby."

Terry opens another warp

And - assuming it works this time - Nathan steps through, facing Mike as the portal closes behind them.

"So..."

He produces a cigarette from his pocket and proceeds to light it - the normal way. ::wink Pocketing the zippo again he sits down on the edge of the roof, shades covering his eyes as he looks at his colleague. ::smokin

"You don't know the guy. What do you think?"

After a short conversation with the maitre'd to please pass compliments to the chef, John regroups with the others. Politely, he offers Liz and Vinnie a ride if they like, and directions to his penthouse if they'd rather meet there.

"We'll take my car, I think. See you soon."

Escorting Ms Cable to the exit, they wait in silence for his car to be brought up front. He then opens the passenger door for her before getting in the driver's seat himself.

Pulling away from the restaurant he glances sideways at her and says

"I figured you could use a pause to gather your wits a little. And I think I owe you an explanation."

Guiding the sports car through the traffic - running more than a few yellow lights - he continues.

"Fabry's brother was killed by members of the same organization I'm hunting at the moment. As I mentioned I've already spoken with Nathanson about his involvement in the case, and I was supposed to have met with a nova 'bodyguard' of Fabry's earlier." Vinnie's tone of voice does nothing to hide what he knows and suspects about said nova.

"Fabry's resourceful, and a potential temporary ally in my case. And he's most likely much more reasonable than Nathanson... The problem is that his motivations are personal and possibly idealistic. There may come a time where we will have to end the cooperation on less than friendly terms, if you know what I mean. If that happens, I'd hate to have added any of my colleagues to his resources..."

"On the other hand, I really believe that Guy or specially Alex could both do a good job and expand their resumés here."

Turning to face her - longer than any baseline driver should at the speed he's going - he asks

"So, since you know this game better than me - so far, at least ::wink - how do we both give him what he wants, get more contracts for the agency and cover my back?"

Soon enough, the four are all gathered in John's spacious livingroom, relaxing on luxuriously comfortable sofas. The fireplace gives off a warm glow as John pours an exquisite coffee from Elizabeth's native South Africa.

Settling onto the cushion next to Janet, he smiles at his guests. "Well, Liz. Earlier Vincent asked why I would need a bodyguard. Truth be told, I probably don't. But better to be safe then sorry, and I'm sure DeVries would love the publicity." He chuckles.

[sorry to keep you waiting, Archer. Just have to conclude the interlude first... ::wink ]

Totally Warped:

Terry does indeed manage to successfully open a warp to the Big Apple - near to the Masters Building. As the Novas arrive on the Manhattan rooftop they note the usual patrols of police aircars in the skies (MI donates a lot of nice toys to the local cops, after all... ::wink ) - sci-fi fantasy a few short years back, but made reality in the Nova Age - & all too soon become common-place to the jaded citizenry of the crowded melting-pot city. On a certain level it's understandable - after all, how impressive are police with flying cars & genuine ray-guns when New Yorkers get to see more than their fair share of god-like Novas on a semi-regular basis? Still, for those who grew-up pre-N-Day the sight of an NYPD black-&-white casually skimming the sky-line can occassionally prompt them to pause & ponder how the world got so mad so quickly...

A Terrible Thing to Waste:

The hell you say! I enjoy being a monster? I tried to stop the killings every time I had the chance! If you've really read my mind, you know that I had resolved to never let it out again before the raid. You attacked us, and Masters, the only person who's given me anything close to a reason to trust him, told me that more lives were at stake!

The shapely T2M leather-goddess folds her purple-tattooed arms across her chest as she reguards the bound child before her with her usual mixture of pity & contempt,

"Then your resolve, wouldn't you agree, has been proved to be less than useless. You are lying to yourself if you think that you have a choice in your actions. I didn't take away your freedom, boy - your powers did. The power within you is out of control. We can't take it out without killing you. The power fuels your murderous impulses. You are a slave, child - a slave to energies you submitted to when you erupted. From now on you will always be a slave - that fact cannot be changed. However, I am trying to offer you a choice - the last choice left to you: a choice of Master. Stay a slave to your base impulses, your primal, bestial, rage - stay confined here, to help the world only as a test subject in extreme experiments; or bow to my will. I have, arguably, the most powerful mind on the planet, James - subjegate yourself to me & you will no longer be in thrall to your rages. But it isn't a simple matter of saying 'yes!'; neither will clicking your ruby slippers together & wishing really hard make it so. To escape the clutches of your own power, to regain some small measure of control, you must be mine - mind, body, & soul."

Stepping closer Psyche places her hands on Glacier's shoulders - ignoring the frost which, despite the various power inhibitors in place, still manages to rapidly coat her arms - & leans her face close to that of her captive,

"It's chaos or me, child - no half measures. My way takes work, & more commitment that you've even dreamt of - but my way it's possible that you could become a useful member of society again."

Standing straight once again, the leather-clad woman takes a step backwards, brushing the frost off as she does so,

"One more time: tell me your darkest fantasy." ::devil

Masters Freedom Plaza:

"I saw someone I care about put a gun to the back of my head... Ahh a .45 calibre armour-piercing explosive, I didn't even know that there was such a thing as armour piercing explosive before the vision  . My best friend of more years than I can count is going to kill me for being a nova William. She hates me or at least is going to hate me, and all the rest of us novas and I want to know if it's a conscious decision on her part or if she's being influenced somehow."

Masters nods as Will recounts his 'dream',

"Sure - that's not a problem, Will. I'll set it up - you've no need to worry about it. Now, I really think you should try to relax a little whilst you can."

Backseat of a Limo:

"So, um, where are we going?"

Doctor Chen doesn't even glance up from her notes as she replies,

"Dinner."

It appears that she feels her answer is adequete, since a few moments later she does look up - glorious dark eyes making contact with Derek's own - & changes the subject completely,

"How much do you know about 'nanotechnology'?"

Tappin' a Picture:

The tattooist gets to work - the whole process, even under the skilled hands of the master craftsman, taking hours to complete. The pain from the thousands of tiny pin-prick, ink-filled, wounds that soon cover Link's entire back is considerable - even for a Nova. The fact that the swift pin-marks can even pierce his Nova-hide testifies to how sharp the antique tattoo-needle is...

... Eventually the old man is satisfied with his work & dismisses his client. Ian wanders back to the reception area of the parlour - shirt still off as even the silken material is enough to aggrivate the tender fresh wounds across his back - only to find his brother & the tattooed girl leaning close across the counter, smiling & whispering in a manner which suggests an obvious mutual flirtation. Both glance up as Ian enters, his brother standing straight (although, Ian notes, his fingers trail only slowly away from where they were touching the tips of the girl's own) & grinning,

"So - got what you wanted, kid?"

He walks around his little brother, giving a low whistle as he examines the large tattoo,

"Wow- you weren't kidding about this, were you?" ::blink

Shaking his head Andrew leads Ian towards the exit from the shop,

"We better get some ointment or something on that before it gets infected..." ::rolleyes

Just before the brothers depart the parlour Andrew glances back at the girl on reception,

"Friday at nine then?" the girl nods her agreement with a sly smile ::sly , in response to which Andrew winks ::wink & adds, "Cool - I can't wait."

Outside the shop the elder Jacobs boy turns to the younger,

"Man - you must have really wanted whatever info' it is you got outta' that guy... So, spill: what did you discover?"

Company Car:

"So, since you know this game better than me - so far, at least  - how do we both give him what he wants, get more contracts for the agency and cover my back?"

Liz smiles... then spontaneously kisses Vinnie on the cheek - before immediately blushing & turning away ::blush ,

"Oh, I'm sorry! I shouldn't have done that... You've just been so nice tonight - really saved my hide... er... socially speaking, that is... &... Well, thanks."

Ms Cable quickly manages to regain her composure,

"Okay - business. Well, I'd rather not have to send him Elites off any of the other rep's books, if that can be avoided - but the guys are all out in that Chadian thing. On the other hand, they were sent in to their first big op' earlier today: I hate to say it, but there's a chance that one or two may have already been freed-up to seek other employment. Of course, we won't know for certain until I get some reports from the front. So - I say we commit to nothing tonight: just keep learning as much as we can about the client & his needs. Then we can bounce him whichever of the guys becomes a combat-statistic & seems appropriate to his requirements - or, if it comes down to it, offer one of the DVNTS Elites which I don't personally represent. Sound good to you?"

Doctor Chen doesn't even glance up from her notes as she replies,

"Dinner."

Derek seems to be focused on Doctor Chen enough to be satisfied with the answer. ::smile

It appears that she feels her answer is adequete, since a few moments later she does look up - glorious dark eyes making contact with Derek's own - & changes the subject completely,

"How much do you know about 'nanotechnology'?"

Pausing for a split-second, he replied:

"Well. I'd like to say I'm up to speed on the current tech, but I suspect there have been some recent advances that I'm not yet aware of. You have something specific in mind?"

He grins, seemingly eager to be challenged.

"I'll try to keep up." ::biggrin

Revelations:

"Well. I'd like to say I'm up to speed on the current tech, but I suspect there have been some recent advances that I'm not yet aware of. You have something specific in mind?"

The beautious Asian scientist lowers her PDA & shifts her position just enough that her evening dress slides across her body in a rather enticing fashion - yet the action appears completely casual as she retains her eye-contact with Derek & replies,

"Yes - you. I presume you've realised by now that your body is constructed of nano-machines? That in itself is fascinating enough, but the manner in which you formed another layer of nano-machines into that eufiber-like outfit of yours opens up all sorts of potential applications. Obviously such feats are, at the moment, entirely within your domain alone, but the potential applications if we could duplicate your nano-tech synthetically are - I'm sure you'll agree - staggering."

Derek looks slightly incredulous.

"To be honest, I never submitted myself to an examination on that level. Though what you postulate would clear up a few things alright."

He pauses for a moment, looking at his hands.

"I have tried to expand my technology into devices anyone can use, but the last one didn't seem to work so well. A freak power-surge."

He shrugs.

"You sound like you're headed somewhere with this?" ::smile

Terry does indeed manage to successfully open a warp to the Big Apple - near to the Masters Building. As the Novas arrive on the Manhattan rooftop they note the usual patrols of police aircars in the skies (MI donates a lot of nice toys to the local cops, after all... ::wink ) - sci-fi fantasy a few short years back, but made reality in the Nova Age - & all too soon become common-place to the jaded citizenry of the crowded melting-pot city. On a certain level it's understandable - after all, how impressive are police with flying cars & genuine ray-guns when New Yorkers get to see more than their fair share of god-like Novas on a semi-regular basis? Still, for those who grew-up pre-N-Day the sight of an NYPD black-&-white casually skimming the sky-line can occassionally prompt them to pause & ponder how the world got so mad so quickly...

Nathan waves a greeting to a passing patrol car while he waits for Mike's answer.

Liz smiles... then spontaneously kisses Vinnie on the cheek - before immediately blushing & turning away ::blush ,

"Oh, I'm sorry! I shouldn't have done that... You've just been so nice tonight - really saved my hide... er... socially speaking, that is... &... Well, thanks."

"Don't apologize, Liz. Never apologize for doing what you want to do..."

"And it's a pleasure. Really. Who says business and pleasure can't be mixed..?" ::wink ::devil

Ms Cable quickly manages to regain her composure,

"Okay - business. Well, I'd rather not have to send him Elites off any of the other rep's books, if that can be avoided - but the guys are all out in that Chadian thing. On the other hand, they were sent in to their first big op' earlier today: I hate to say it, but there's a chance that one or two may have already been freed-up to seek other employment. Of course, we won't know for certain until I get some reports from the front. So - I say we commit to nothing tonight: just keep learning as much as we can about the client & his needs. Then we can bounce him whichever of the guys becomes a combat-statistic & seems appropriate to his requirements - or, if it comes down to it, offer one of the DVNTS Elites which I don't personally represent. Sound good to you?"

"Yeah...", Vinnie nods.

"Given the circumstances I guess that's about the best we can do tonight, and I'll have a word with whoever he ends up hiring. Hopefully one of yours."

Pretty soon they arrive at Fabry's apartment building, and taking the normal route through doors and elevators they shortly after enter his apartment.

"It's Vinnie, not Vincent.", the dark-haired elite briefly comments. "Only my grandmother calls me that..."

Apart from that small correction he keeps quiet and waits for Ms Cable's answer, while enjoying the coffee and - naturally - studying John's apartment.

"Then your resolve, wouldn't you agree, has been proved to be less than useless. You are lying to yourself if you think that you have a choice in your actions. I didn't take away your freedom, boy - your powers did. The power within you is out of control. We can't take it out without killing you. The power fuels your murderous impulses. You are a slave, child - a slave to energies you submitted to when you erupted. From now on you will always be a slave - that fact cannot be changed. However, I am trying to offer you a choice - the last choice left to you: a choice of Master. Stay a slave to your base impulses, your primal, bestial, rage - stay confined here, to help the world only as a test subject in extreme experiments; or bow to my will. I have, arguably, the most powerful mind on the planet, James - subjegate yourself to me & you will no longer be in thrall to your rages. But it isn't a simple matter of saying 'yes!'; neither will clicking your ruby slippers together & wishing really hard make it so. To escape the clutches of your own power, to regain some small measure of control, you must be mine - mind, body, & soul."

Stepping closer Psyche places her hands on Glacier's shoulders - ignoring the frost which, despite the various power inhibitors in place, still manages to rapidly coat her arms - & leans her face close to that of her captive,

"It's chaos or me, child - no half measures. My way takes work, & more commitment that you've even dreamt of - but my way it's possible that you could become a useful member of society again."

Standing straight once again, the leather-clad woman takes a step backwards, brushing the frost off as she does so,

"One more time: tell me your darkest fantasy."

Throughout the leather-clad nova's monologue, Glacier listens attentively, trying desperately to absorb and agree with everything she says. As the question returns, however, the young ice nova is filled with a terrible sense of panic. He thinks, half to himself and half to his interrogator, that he cannot possibly answer the question in an acceptable way. However, he begins to seriously consider it, thinking to himself and not to Psyche, though he makes no vain attempt to hide his thoughts.

My darkest fantasy. Well, to which "my" is she/are you referring? Certainly not John, since he's no more than a hysterically frightened child at this point. No thanks to you people, he adds, with a glare around his cell as though it were filled with his tormentors.

The bear doesn't really have "fantasies", unless you count the irrepressible desire to kill everybody he sees. Which leaves me - Glacier.

A surge of frustration emerges before Glacier, unused to mental eavesdropping, can suppress it.

My fantasies? I've never fantasized in my life; I'm less than two years old! I'm not interested in sex for its own sake; getting a stiffy's less difficult fo me than lifting my arm, and about as pleasurable! The teenager hurriedly stomps on the runaway train of thought and forces his mind into a more cooperative attitude.

As he continues to think, he guiltily remembers his evening of debaucherie with Eel, the mutated Terat. He tries to suppress the memory, hide it from Psyche, at first, before remembering himself, and he instead bares it to the telepath's probes, along with all his thoughts on the matter and his opinions on Eel - his admiration for her strength and independence, as well as his sickness at her cavalier slaughter of innocents.

This entire deluge of thoughts and emotions takes up less than three seconds. Wondering briefly if his desire for the inhuman Terat constitutes a "darkest fantasy", he looks up at Psyche to try to gauge her reaction, wondering if he should go on.

Totally Warped:

Terry does indeed manage to successfully open a warp to the Big Apple - near to the Masters Building. As the Novas arrive on the Manhattan rooftop they note the usual patrols of police aircars in the skies (MI donates a lot of nice toys to the local cops, after all...  ) - sci-fi fantasy a few short years back, but made reality in the Nova Age - & all too soon become common-place to the jaded citizenry of the crowded melting-pot city. On a certain level it's understandable - after all, how impressive are police with flying cars & genuine ray-guns when New Yorkers get to see more than their fair share of god-like Novas on a semi-regular basis? Still, for those who grew-up pre-N-Day the sight of an NYPD black-&-white casually skimming the sky-line can occassionally prompt them to pause & ponder how the world got so mad so quickly...

Michael takes a moment to look around to get his bearings then turns to Blaze, "So, back to the Master's Building?"

He thens heads back, either the mundane way by using the roof access to get inside the building, then down the elevator; or, via a friendly neighborhood nova ::wink

Michael takes a moment to look around to get his bearings then turns to Blaze, "So, back to the Master's Building?"

::rolleyes

"What's the matter, warping damage your hearing or something...?" ::wink

"I said: What do you think? About Terry and this whole mess, I mean..."

He thens heads back, either the mundane way by using the roof access to get inside the building, then down the elevator; or, via a friendly neighborhood nova  ::wink

Nate will gladly provide a lift. At least that way he'll be sure Michael doesn't get away before answering his questions... ::tongue

"It's Vinnie, not Vincent.", the dark-haired elite briefly comments. "Only my grandmother calls me that..."

John smiles warmly. "Sorry. Vinnie it is."

Apart from that small correction he keeps quiet and waits for Ms Cable's answer, while enjoying the coffee and - naturally - studying John's apartment.

Comfort and wealth are the first two things that spring to mind as the Elite studies the spacious flat. A vintage coatrack stands just a few feet from the front door, a long mirror hangs next to it. The polished wood entryway is wide enough for four abreast, and stretches into the elegant foyer. To the right is the livingroom, it's enormous windows displaying a gorgeous view of the city skyline, and it's padded club chairs and long sofa inviting any guest to sit and stay.

The kitchen is a marvelous blend of modern technology and Old World warmth; the industrial-looking steel refrigerator is only a few feet from a brick baking kiln, which sits on its own stone island, just apart from the lengthy countertop and gas stove. Burnished copper pots and pans dangle from steel racks mounted to the ceiling, and magnetic wallboards hold keenly-honed knives and cleavers.

Enjoying the lush cushion of his own seat, Vinnie can see slightly down another hallway, which presumably leads to the bedrooms. His own incredible sight easily pierces the shadowed hall, allowing him to count at least three closed doors before the hallway takes a turn to the left. Glancing outside, a large patio that can hold at least twenty people looks down and across the bustle of New York.

Fabry's Pad:

Entering the luxurious apartment Ms Cable can't help but be impressed by both the overall sense of expense, & the designer's obvious eye for style. However, compared to the impact of a night socialising with the truly beautiful people, her appreciation for the decor is actually something of a calming influence - rich is easier to handle than super - even for a DeVries rep' extensively trained to handle interaction with Novas.

Once coats are taken & hung Liz & Vinnie follow John to the livingroom, where Janet Thorne is already waiting - heels kicked off & half stretched out on the sofa like some goddess figure of feline grace & beauty. The sheer impact of her impossible good looks once again hits all three as they enter the room - the woman's not even trying & it's almost a futile task to try & draw one's gaze away from her - if you did that, you might miss some small moment of her radient perfection.

Jan takes the reactions in stride - sitting up with a smile & gesturing for Liz to sit next to her. The DeVries rep's reaction is something between nervousness & thrilled excitement - thinly held in check by a layer of professionalism - as she takes the offered seat.

"Well, Liz. Earlier Vincent asked why I would need a bodyguard. Truth be told, I probably don't. But better to be safe then sorry, and I'm sure DeVries would love the publicity."
"It's Vinnie, not Vincent... Only my grandmother calls me that..."

Janet grins,

"And then only when you've been a very bad boy, right?" ::devil

"Sorry. Vinnie it is."

Liz composes herself before she answers, her tone now all busniness,

"Certain names have come to mind, yes, although there is the issue of availability. The Elites I represent are in great demand, as I'm sure you can imagine, John. If you want someone assigned to you immediately, then I'm afraid I'll need to know what sort of additional incentives you're willing to offer as justification for moving your assignment to the top of the waiting list. If you prefer to just work within the standard payment framework of DVNTS then it may take a while before a suitable Elite will have time to devote to your case. I'm sure you understand, John, that DeVries is a business & it is our duty to broker the best deals we can for our Elites as well as our clients. So - what are you offering? You mentioned the possibility of positive publicity - that could be a good place to start. Would you & Janet," the rep' glances briefly at the mega-star beside her, "be willing to use your own positions in the media to promote out people?" ::sly

Jan shakes her head slightly,

"Sorry darlings - I can't agree to anything like that without unleashing a whole flock of Masters Global Media lawyer types: exclusive contracts & all that."

Limo-talk:

"To be honest, I never submitted myself to an examination on that level. Though what you postulate would clear up a few things alright."

Dr Chen blinks ::blink ,

"Oh, it's a proven fact Derek - I analysed the samples myself."

"I have tried to expand my technology into devices anyone can use, but the last one didn't seem to work so well. A freak power-surge."

The good doctor nods,

"Yes - I read the reports."

"You sound like you're headed somewhere with this?"

Again Dr Chen nods,

"Certainly. I suggest that we work together to try to create synthetic nanotechnology based upon your naturally produced nano-machines. The application possibilities are endless - after all, we all know that silicon-based technologies are reaching the threshold of their usefulness in terms of reduced size. Nanotech is the next logical phase - pretty much everyone has been working on it for years, but no-one's cracked it yet. So far we've been unable to copy the samples of your component nano-machines we have - they go inert after a while you know. But I feel that with your insight we could do just that. This sort of progress is a 'space elevator' technology - difficult & expensive to get up & running, but practically free once it's established. It would revolutionise the world, Derek. What's more - since it would be based on your own body - we'd bypass some of those silly PU S&T regulations controlling new technological developments." ::sly

The Asian beauty seems quite excited as she outlines the plan to Derek, shifting a little closer to him along the seat & taking one of his hands in both of hers - her PDA having been placed to one side.

Skyline:

The aircar which Blaze waves to takes a moment to veer closer to the two Novas on the roof. It takes up a position a little way off & above the pair, then a loudspeaker (with enough volume for the Novas, but not the whole building or the street below, to hear) clicks on,

"Hey Blaze, Mike - we have to inform you that you're, technically, trespassing on private property guys. Just don't hang around up here for too long, okay? Excellent work saving those people from that fire by the way - you guys rock!" There's the sound of a muttered exchange between the officers in the car - apparantly the senior officer is berating his junior partner for his lack of formality... In any case the voice soon returns, "Er... yeah - anyway: best to move on, okay?"

The aircar pulls away, heading back to its designated patrol route.

Fighting Fantasy:

A half smile forms across Psyche's lips as John's thoughts race,

"Better," she notes, standing with hands on hips as she addresses the captive Nova, "you're, at least, showing willing to co-operate now. Seriously, I blame N! for giving you youths all this 'tude - even when it's so obviously not in your self-interest."

Suddenly the T2Mer's thoughts are inside Glacier's own mind, caressing his thoughts with gentle, soothing, fingers of expression,

*By all means continue with your train of thought - it's very... stimulating...* ::devil

Looking up at the walls of the room, Psyche says out loud,

"Fine - I'll take him. Have him wrapped & ready to shift by oh-eight-hundred."

She again focuses her attention on John before she leaves the room, her words once again washing over his mind, rather than spoken aloud,

*Betray my trust in this, boy, & I will make you suffer like you've never imagined.*

With that final, cheery, thought, the leather-clad beauty turns on her heel & exits the room. Moments later it's not much of a surprise as Glacier, once again, feels himself loose consciousness...

... John slowly wakes to the sound of running water & a rather pleasant rose-scented smell. Opening his eyes is, for just a moment, a struggle, & then he has to wait as the scene they take in fades from coloured-blur into focus. As his senses are adjusting, he - somewhere in the back of his mind - realises that he's dormed down at the moment.

Finally able to sit-up & look around, John sees that he's lying on a rather comfortable king-sized bed with clean white sheets, in what appears to be a hotel bedroom. The sound of water is coming from a nearby half-open door - along with some warm steam which carries the rose-scent with it. Nearby the bed he's on is a dressing table & chair, & across the room is a closet. A nicely arranged basket of fruit & a bottle of bubbly have been left on the dressing table, along with a note which appears to be from the hotel manager. On the bedside table there's a phone, a lamp, & a remote - although it takes a while for John to spot the OpNet screen which goes with it - a large flat panel cunningly designed to blend in to the wall opposite the bed when not in use. The room's windows are covered by a pair of heavy velvet curtains.

John also notes that he appears to be washed & groomed & is dressed in smart, but casual, jeans & T-shirt. Next to the bed are a pair of trainers which look to be his size. Next to them are a pair of black suede high-heels which (thankfully! ::crazy ) don't appear to be his size... Catching his own reflection in the dressing table mirror, John notes that the white T-shirt he's wearing sports an image of Caestus Pax's face along with the motto (once he manages to read it backwards in the mirror): serving the world today for a better tomorrow.

John's just gaining his wits & taking everything in when the sound of running water ceases & a towel-wrapped figure steps from the adjoining room - Psyche! The T2Mer is obviously just out of the shower, with one towel protecting her modesty, as she uses another to dry her hair. Her tattoos are as prominant as ever. Smiling as she spots John the telepath says in a pleasant tone,

"Morning, sleepy-head. How do you feel?" ::bigsmile

Liz composes herself before she answers, her tone now all busniness,

"Certain names have come to mind, yes, although there is the issue of availability. The Elites I represent are in great demand, as I'm sure you can imagine, John. If you want someone assigned to you immediately, then I'm afraid I'll need to know what sort of additional incentives you're willing to offer as justification for moving your assignment to the top of the waiting list. If you prefer to just work within the standard payment framework of DVNTS then it may take a while before a suitable Elite will have time to devote to your case. I'm sure you understand, John, that DeVries is a business & it is our duty to broker the best deals we can for our Elites as well as our clients. So - what are you offering? You mentioned the possibility of positive publicity - that could be a good place to start. Would you & Janet," the rep' glances briefly at the mega-star beside her, "be willing to use your own positions in the media to promote out people?" 

Jan shakes her head slightly,

"Sorry darlings - I can't agree to anything like that without unleashing a whole flock of Masters Global Media lawyer types: exclusive contracts & all that."

With a quick, sidelong glance at Janet, John responds. "Well, I'd have to double-check my contract for any similar legal restrictions, but as far as I can remember, I'm not as important an asset yet, so I should be fine. Regardless, I do have my own influence and contacts in the media, which I will happily use to help direct some good publicity towards DeVries."

Derek gives Dr. Chen's words some consideration, though seems to be fairly distracted by her closeness.

"Well, I guess we could work on it. I'll have to rearrange some of my schedule, with Masters's approval, of course, but I don't see it being a problem..."

He pauses for a moment, concerned.

"What regulations would we *not* be avoiding? I'd rather not have a repeat of the last run in....."

Masters nods as Will recounts his 'dream',

"Sure - that's not a problem, Will. I'll set it up - you've no need to worry about it. Now, I really think you should try to relax a little whilst you can."

Relieved Will nods, he heads off to look at the new gym gear. After inspecting the new equipment he decides to just go to his little piece of the MI building and get alittle shut eye, not really needing the sleep but isn't in much of a mood to do anything else at that moment *If they want me, they know where I'll be*.

"What's the matter, warping damage your hearing or something...?" 

"I said: What do you think? About Terry and this whole mess, I mean..."

"Huh? Oh, sorry, had my mind on something else."

The aircar which Blaze waves to takes a moment to veer closer to the two Novas on the roof. It takes up a position a little way off & above the pair, then a loudspeaker (with enough volume for the Novas, but not the whole building or the street below, to hear) clicks on,

"Hey Blaze, Mike - we have to inform you that you're, technically, trespassing on private property guys. Just don't hang around up here for too long, okay? Excellent work saving those people from that fire by the way - you guys rock!" There's the sound of a muttered exchange between the officers in the car - apparantly the senior officer is berating his junior partner for his lack of formality... In any case the voice soon returns, "Er... yeah - anyway: best to move on, okay?"

The aircar pulls away, heading back to its designated patrol route.

Mike gives his best 'winning' smile and waves back to the patrol car, "Thanks officers, we were just leaving. Keep up the good work..."

Nate will gladly provide a lift. At least that way he'll be sure Michael doesn't get away before answering his questions...

Allowing Nate to 'shuttle' him back to the MI building, Mike finally responds to his earlier questions, "I don't know man, you know him better than I do. It does seem like he's kinda gone all conspiracy theory, though, doesn't it? I mean, Mr. Masters has had a perfectly good explanation for everything up to this point, and we have no reason to not believe him. I don't think Terry's being malignant, just maybe a bit misguided..."

Allowing Nate to 'shuttle' him back to the MI building

'Shuttling' another guy always creates a few awkward moments... Do you carry them by their collar? Grab their trousers and give them a wedgie? Throw them over your shoulder? Take their hand...? After settling on a way, Nate flies them both over to the roof of the MI building - coming down vertically from directly above it, just in case there are general quantum dampeners in effect, and not just an anti-warping field.

Mike finally responds to his earlier questions, "I don't know man, you know him better than I do.  It does seem like he's kinda gone all conspiracy theory, though, doesn't it?  I mean, Mr. Masters has had a perfectly good explanation for everything up to this point, and we have no reason to not believe him.  I don't think Terry's being malignant, just maybe a bit misguided..."

Hopefully setting down in an orderly fashion, Nate nods in reply.

"Yeah, I think so too. He's putting way too much trust in the wrong people..."

"You'll find your own way down, right? I've got to go get my spare phone and take care of a few things. See you later!"

Barring protests, Nate dives off the building - still in jeans and sneakers - and flies home to his apartment to get his backup phone. Then he goes to see Emma.

John suppresses his usual groan upon returning to consciousness. The well-built teenager is groggy even on an ordinary morning, and takes a second to remember who and where he is, unlike Glacier, who seems to hardly notice the time gap between waking hours, and who was less off-balance under hundreds of pounds of metal restraint than John is at the moment, in a ridiculously comfortable bed staring at a beautiful woman.

"Morning, sleepy-head. How do you feel?"

John smiles and tells the most profound and blatant lie of his lifetime.

"Great, and yourself?"

He sinks back into the bed, not bothering to try to figure out the goal of whatever mind game is currently in play. Might as well keep up this little facade as long as its execution is more pleasant than his current state of affairs.. He sits up and runs his hand through his long, blonde hair, propping himself up against the wall behind the bed and grabbing a pear, offering his new mistress a warm smile that says plainly "I'm not gonna ask, but feel free to tell me".

The Lobby of the Masters Building, almost back in continuity:

Carla hated waiting, always had - even a short wait like this one seemed like an eternity to her. She fiddled with her purse, tried holding her coat (actually her eufiber ::ninja) in any number of 'casual' ways, and finally gave up. She was a nervous wreck, with only her poise, beauty and a red dress to fall back on - of course nowadays, that wasn't too bad of a hand to be holding... ::sly

*How's your poker face, Carla? You're dormed down, but you've still got your eufiber security blanket - can you keep it together for one date?* ::unsure

Kelly had been right - the red dress was a good call. Sleeveless deep crimson silk, a hemline that stopped just below the knee, and a gentle but intriguing neckline - after all, this was still a 'professional' dinner by default ::smile It hugged her figure better than it did before her eruption, and combined with the four-inch red pumps (thanks for the loaner, Kelly!), she was definitly going to make an impression ::devil She brushed her short brown hair behind her ear for the umpteenth time - the frosty blonde highlights only appeared when she was Slither, oddly enough - and fought the urge to chew her lip and get lipstick on her teeth.

*"Hi, Carla Franklin - nice to meet face-to-face, so to speak!" (ugh!) "Hello, Carla Franklin - I wasn't sure if you'd recognize out of my tights!" (Oh yeah, frickin' brilliant! ::rolleyes) "Excuse me, I'm Carla Franklin..."*

Negotiations:

"Well, I'd have to double-check my contract for any similar legal restrictions, but as far as I can remember, I'm not as important an asset yet, so I should be fine. Regardless, I do have my own influence and contacts in the media, which I will happily use to help direct some good publicity towards DeVries."

Ms Cable smiles & nods,

"That's good to know, John - although we'd need to get the details down on paper at some point, naturally. What else do you feel you could offer in the way of incentives?"

Jan grins as Liz gets into full 'business' swing. Moments later the mega-star's skin fades to a blood-red tone, a pair of small horns protrude from her forehead, & a pointed tail writhes out from behind her. Turning the grin - now with pointed canine teeth - on John she quips,

"Careful darling - don't sign any contracts in blood." ::devil

Limo:

"Well, I guess we could work on it. I'll have to rearrange some of my schedule, with Masters's approval, of course, but I don't see it being a problem..."

Dr Chen nods,

"I'd like that. It's not often people like us get to exchange ideas with intellectual peers, after all."

"What regulations would we *not* be avoiding? I'd rather not have a repeat of the last run in....."

The stunning Asiatic waves the comment away,

"Oh - that sort of detail's why we keep people like Masters around. Don't let worries about red tape constrict your genius."

For a moment young Derek can concentrate on little more than Dr Chen's incredible dark eyes, perfect lips, the smallest movements she makes... ::blush Then follows a rather whirlwind blur as the limo arrives at its destination & the couple are seated in a rather up-market restaurant. Derek's too occupied with his 'date' to really take in any of the details - it's a posh place, with polite & efficient waiters, & richly dressed patrons. The couple get more than their fair share of glances from their fellow diners - each for different reasons - but, thankfully, the place is cultured enough that no-one tries to ask for an autograph or intrude in any way more than the occassional whispered comment.

Soon enough the young genius finds himself enjoying, but mostly ignoring, a rather wonderful meal, whilst he & Dr Chen descend into a more scientifically detailed discussion on the ins & outs of nanotechnology. To anyone listening in the pair's conversation is soon so jargonised & short-handed that it may as well be a foriegn tongue. Notes scribbled in haste upon napkins to illustrate points result in breakthrough-level formulae which scholars & think-tanks the world over would happily kill to get a peek at... if only they knew. For the first time since his eruption, Derek starts to feel he's really talking to someone who 'gets' him & his ideas. More than that - the two Novas bounce ideas off each other, resulting in concepts which neither would have contemplated solo. The level of excitement rises with each new sentance uttered, each new thought postulated...

Masters Gym:

Looking in on the new gym facilities Will does indeed bear witness to a rather impressive array of high-tech work-out gizmoes: including the promised hydraulic-press-style weights machine. However, the young man's attention is drawn more to the slight, eufiber-clad, perspiring, figure doing what appears to be her very best to punch & kick the literal stuffing out of one of the bags - Natalia. She seems to have not noticed Will's entrance, her focus (&, from the look on her face, rage) locked onto the target of her - quiet impressive - flurry of martial-art blows. Despite the ethics & psychology his conscious mind struggles with, Will's still-teenage brain can't help but notice that the skin-tight synthetic-eufiber muscle-top & leggins she wears do nothing to conceal the girl's rather attractive & toned figure - in baseline terms, she's a real hottie! Of course, such thoughts send his mind rushing, unbidden, back to the revelations about her ordeal which her grandfather only recently told him of...

Masters Roof:

Alighting on the roof with no problems Blaze & Mike are greeted with a pleasant female computerised voice,

"Blaze, Michael - welcome home. Michael, you have a visitor waiting in the lobby. Please stop by security before you meet her. Blaze, Mr Masters would like a word."

Learning Curve:

"Great, and yourself?"

Psyche frowns at the reclining youth,

"I thought we'd gotten past this very basic stage, John. I thought you weren't going to lie to me any more?"

The T2Mer appears to be quite annoyed... ::lookaround

Masters Lobby:

A pretty young be-suited lady walks over to the awaiting Carla almost as soon as she's through the door to the impressive building's lobby. If the fact the two uniformed Masters International Security guards stationed outside the building smiled & opened the door to her didn't tip her off that she was expected, this young lady's first words do. Offering a hand & a winning smile which most would describe as 'perky', the petite blonde says,

"Miss Franklin - welcome to Masters International. I'm Debbie - can I get you anything whilst you wait? Coffee perhaps?" ::biggrin

The helpful Debbie steers Carla towards a set of plush leather furniture in one corner of the lobby as she adds,

"I must say, you look stunning in that dress, & I love those shoes - you must tell me where you got them!" ::biggrin

"Blaze, Michael - welcome home. Michael, you have a visitor waiting in the lobby. Please stop by security before you meet her. Blaze, Mr Masters would like a word."

"Of course he would.", Nate grins.

"Where is he?"

Taking the elevator down, Nathan goes to see Mr Masters, saying hi to people on the way. Reaching the boss he opens he door, looks inside and says

"Knock, knock!"

Stepping inside he throws himself down in a chair and faces the old man.

"You wanted to see me? Will and Derek have been here already, right?"

Masters Lobby:

A pretty young be-suited lady walks over to the awaiting Carla almost as soon as she's through the door to the impressive building's lobby. If the fact the two uniformed Masters International Security guards stationed outside the building smiled & opened the door to her didn't tip her off that she was expected, this young lady's first words do. Offering a hand & a winning smile which most would describe as 'perky', the petite blonde says,

"Miss Franklin - welcome to Masters International. I'm Debbie - can I get you anything whilst you wait? Coffee perhaps?" ::biggrin

Carla nods vigorously.

Nice to meet you, and yes, I could really use a coffee, thank you so much! Black with two sugars, please. ::biggrin

The helpful Debbie steers Carla towards a set of plush leather furniture in one corner of the lobby as she adds,

"I must say, you look stunning in that dress, & I love those shoes - you must tell me where you got them!" ::biggrin

Carla sinks into one of the chairs, smoothing out her dress as she crosses her legs.

Oh, thank you! I borrowed the shoes from a friend, but I'll ask her where she got them - maybe I can pass it along through Mike.

She catches herself and blushes a bit.

That is, assuming of course that I, uh, see him again, in....some capacity. ::blush

She sighs, looks around the lobby and then semi-whispers to Debbie:

Don't you hate it when you don't know the rules yet? You should have seen me agonizing over dresses! ::rolleyes ::laugh

Ms Cable smiles & nods,

"That's good to know, John - although we'd need to get the details down on paper at some point, naturally. What else do you feel you could offer in the way of incentives?"

Jan grins as Liz gets into full 'business' swing. Moments later the mega-star's skin fades to a blood-red tone, a pair of small horns protrude from her forehead, & a pointed tail writhes out from behind her. Turning the grin - now with pointed canine teeth - on John she quips,

"Careful darling - don't sign any contracts in blood."

Still slightly amazed by the remarkable ease Jan displays in these transformations, he barely manages to suppress a grin, his lips tightening slightly in mirth. In his head, an sudden slew of inappropriate thoughts dance about his imagination, spurred by the devil-woman image. With effort, he returns to the business at hand.

"Thank you dear. I'll be careful.", he says, eyes twinkling.

Turning his attention back to Liz, and partly on Vinnie, he smiles and opens his arms in an expansive gesture. "Aside from publicity and money, you mean? I'm really not sure. Perhaps you could elaborate?"

Seeing the Boss:

"Of course he would... Where is he?"

The disembodied voice answers,

"Mr Masters is in his penthouse, Blaze."

Suddenly there's a click, then a hiss, as steam vents from around a square of the building's roof, about three meters across. The square area then lowers a couple of inches, & retracts to one side. Moments later an 'open-air' lift rises through the opening - really little more than a square floor with a waist-high safety rail around it.

Once the two Novas step onto the lift, it descends beneath the level of the roof, into the storage / hanger area below. The size of a large warehouse, the area at the very top of the Masters Building is crammed full of vehicles of all sorts - from a nineteen-twenties autogyro, to the sleekest of modern flying cars. Many of the vehicles look to be undergoing maintenance & are partially disassembled. Some of the parts the two Novas don't even recognise. The 'hanger' also sports a huge variety of tools & engineering equipment, from basic spanners to the latest computerised diagnostics. There are, however, no personnel in the area at the moment. To one side of the hanger a pair of lift doors slide quietly open & await the two Novas.

The lift from the hanger descends a short way to Masters' private penthouse. Once Blaze exits on that level, the car continues down a few dozen floors, to drop Mike off at security, as requested.

"Knock, knock!"

Masters is peering out across the cityscape as Blaze enters the lounge of his private quarters. Briefly glancing back towards the Nova, the multi-billionaire nods,

"Take a seat."

"You wanted to see me? Will and Derek have been here already, right?"

There's a moment before Masters turns to face Nate - almost as if it's an effort for the old man to drag himself away from the view - but when he does, his expression is all business,

"Good guess. Yes - I'd like your thoughts on your latest encounter with Terry, naturally, but I also wanted to tell you personally that I'd like to meet with you, & the others, all together to discuss something important a little later on."

For a moment Masters pauses, then shrugs, although his face is still a mask of seriousness,

"I know I can count on Will, but I have to ask you, Blaze - & try not to take this as an insult - how loyal are you to me? I realise you have... feelings... for your charge, but when the chips are down, will I still be able to count on your support? We're moving into some dangerous waters here: it's no time for regrets or half-measures."

Meanwhile, at the security station...

The two armoured Masters International Security guards outside the primary security room recognise Mike straight away & allow him to enter - the doors themselves are a pair of air-lock-style thick metal efforts which slide to one side, one after the other. Whilst the Nova waits for the seond door to close, he's subjected, no doubt, to an extensive battery of tests to confirm he is just who he says he is (& how he appears to be). Inside the security room itself is a mass of computer screens, as well as operatives wearing VR-gogs - a buzzing hive of activity akin to a NASA control room during a launch.

One of the senior officers - jumpsuited like the rest, although older & with greying hair - looks up from where he's examining a screen over the shoulder of one of the security techs in the room, & waves the Nova over. Offering his hand he introduces himself,

"Lieutenant Carson, MI Security."

Waisting no time, the Lieutenant gestures towards one of the monitors - one which is a view of a corner of the building's lobby. Seated on the comfortable leather furniture there, sipping fresh coffee, is an attractive woman in a red dress, talking with a female MI employee. As Mike watches, vast amounts of data scroll across the screen, with occassional graphics highlighting one part or another of the woman's body or clothing. Carson looks Mike in the eye,

"Your 'date' I take it? What can you tell us about her? We know that's genuine living eufiber her jacket's made out of &, although the readings are indistinct, she could well be a Nova." He waves to another screen covered in data, "We've got her records, of course - driver's license, stuff like that - but if there's anything else you could tell us, it may be a big help."

At the gym... Will manages to leave without (as far as he can tell) alerting Natalia to his presence.

In the lobby...

Debbie quickly arranges a coffee for herself & Carla...

Don't you hate it when you don't know the rules yet? You should have seen me agonizing over dresses!

"Tell me about it! Guys just don't comprehend the fine line we have to walk between attractive & slutty, professional & bland - it can be a real nightmare. Then, after all that effort, they don't even notice what you're wearing!"

Debbies shakes her head & sips her coffee, then smiles & adds,

"Although, between you & me, I think your outfit will be just fine. I don't really know Mike myself, you understand, but he seems like a nice guy. Plus there's that whole Nova-body thing. Me & the girls sometimes head past his office for a 'Diet Coke break', if you know what I mean..." ::wink

Shifting a little closer she adds, in a whisper,

"... They've just installed a new gym for the Novas here as well - I know it's shameless, but I don't think I'll be able to resist the odd peak. Buns of steel indeed!" ::blush

Fabry's pad:

"Aside from publicity and money, you mean? I'm really not sure. Perhaps you could elaborate?"

Liz smiles, knowing full-well how the back-&-forth of negotiations tends to work, then leans back, spreads her hands & shrugs,

"You know what you can, & are willing to, offer, John. I'm not going to turn you down as a client or anything - far from it. I'm just trying to make sure that your business gets to the top of the DeVries waiting list. After all, everyone who hires us has money, & more than a few can offer publicity. Many of our clients are solid, repeat, customers who hire Elites for long-term contracts. Others have other incentives they can offer. I'm sure I don't have to explain to a man such as yourself how business works - in the business of Elites, it really is a seller's market, & DeVries controls the largest portion of that market."

The DVNTS rep' glances towards Vinnie, then turns back towards her host for the evening,

"Let's, just for the sake of example, say you wanted to hire The Ghost. What could you offer him, & DeVries, that other clients couldn't? Why should he take your job in preference to the other dozen or so serious employment opportunities he has on the books right now?" ::sly

Archived