Nobilis

Thingmaker

There are powers in the universe. Time. Guns. Disability. Poetry. Humor. Traffic. Fear. Others too numerous to name.

You are one of them.

You are an immortal soul in a once-human body. You serve one of the Imperators. You command, wield, and protect your Estate (Time, Guns, Disability, whatever). You help support the Imperators in their millenia old war against the Excrutians (who want to destroy everything that is, because they think it all should not be here - they were here before it was, after all.)

You step at will between the "prosaic" reality percieved by humans and the "mythic" reality that underpins the prosaic. You can be killed, but it's easy to get another body. You don't bother trying to kill your enemies, it is far better to take their power from them and use it yourself. The real trick is to protect yourself while fighting the war along side your allies who are also your rivals and enemies. The Excrucians are everybody's enemies, of course - but they are quite willing to make a deal with you if you like...

Details are available at Hogshead Games Website - including excerpts from chapter one, a "Guide for the Newly ENobled" and links to a fan site.

The editors name is "Bruce Baugh."

I take it that you've read Neil Gaiman's Graphic novel masterpiece that is the Sandman, if not get out there and buy all ten books NOW! its worth every penny, trust me, they are not comics and much more like literature of the highest writing caliber.

If you have (though I'm pretty sure that should be when) read them, Nobilis sounds like it has a similar setting style. All the religious pantheons are presented, each with ancient grudges, wars or alliances and the pc's could be best described as anthropomorphic personifications just like the Sandmans endless (Dream, Death, Desire etc)

I can't wait to get a copy now.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow... someone else has actually heard of Nobilis besides me.  And it's TM.  So what hoops did you have to jump through to get a copy of first edition, TM?  I'm still hunting for one, and it's beginning to get depressing.  Know of anywhere that might have one?

And of course, I'm eagerly awaiting the second edition... but Hogshead is beginning to remind me of the people who did the Lunar and Lunar 2 Playstation remakes... pushing it back, and back, and back.  Of course, I'm quite willing to wait, since I'm already in over my head with games I'm running, but it would be nice to have the book just to read over sometime soon.

• 1 month later...

The following is quoted from the Hogshead website:

On Sunday, 24 March Nobilis was placed on a ship and sent across the Pacific from Thailand to the warehouse in the US, where it will then be sent to distributors in late April. Copies should be start appearing in shops in early May.

It's been a long wait, but considering the lousy luck the folks making it had last year, we're lucky to get it at all. Muggings, hospitalizations, divorces, allergies, - almost like the Excrutians themselves were trying to stop the thing from happening!

• 2 weeks later...

Oops.  Thought you had a copy, from the way you were talking about it.

Supposedly, I'll be getting a copy of first edition sometime in the not-too-distant future... whenever Zach gets around to passing it along to me.  Of course, we all know that people are generally lazy creatures, and slow about getting things done, so this could take a while.  But if Nobilis is anywhere near as good as it seems from what I've read about it (hunt around and you can even find a webpage that summarizes much of character creation and the plot... can't remember where), it should be worth the wait.

Of course, with that quote, I may very well have the new edition from my local gaming store before I have first edition.  Ah well...

• 2 months later...

I got Nobilis 2nd ed.  $70 Cdn.  Looks like it's worth it.

Only...

...err...well...you see...

...um...

...it's SQUARE!

Um, yeah.  That about sums up the only downside I can think of for it.  Right then.  Haven't really read it much yet.

• 4 weeks later...

I know what you mean, Chill! I dropped the thing twice before getting it out of the bag (one slide off the front seat in bad traffic, and one deerhound bumping the chair it was on.) I make a point of washing my hands before handling the darn thing - after all, it represents about two hours take-home pay!

I must say I'm impressed with the writing. It's elegant. What I've managed to learn of the cosmology is also very tidy.

I especially like the integral ribbon bookmark.

This sucker is going to take off and fly like a rocket.

You can explore the interpersonal and social relationships between Time and Gravity. You can go down to the malt shop and fight Destroyers From Beyond Reality.

There's already a live action suppliment on it's way to stores, and a third book is well underway. "Fires of Creation" will have scenarios for play. The powers that be (pun intended) are working on ideas for two books beyond that.

Sure, the core book is expensive, but the parts that the players need can be downloaded from the Hogshead website!

Archived