Aberrant RPG - A funny thing happened to me...

Senior Mal

on the way to the Bahrain facility

Some people say that roleplaying is evil, it perverts our young fragile minds, twisting our reasoning so we no longer realise what is fantasy and what is reality. To be honest I thought these people were raving nut bars, but then only the other day a funny thing happened...

Upon entering my bathroom (A relatively normal, everyday occurance for everyone I'm sure) I was confronted with a bottle of Dettox multi-purpose cleanser, nothing terribly shocking about that I grant you. However, upon closer inspection I discovered that, as the bottle stated, it was free from odour and TAINT. My mind raced to the possibility that ordinary household cleaners all over the country have embraced the teaching of Teras. God knows how many times my humble Dettox bottle has been through chrysalis, this thing could be harder than Divis himself!

This game has warped my fragile little mind!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Quote from admin, posted on Oct. 12 2001,11:48

I humbly apologise for Senior Mal - his mind was warped looooooooooong before he got into Aberrant......

:D

"I humbly apologise for Senior Mal - his mind was warped looooooooooong before he got into Aberrant......"

On a more serious note, why do they blame us?  Films and games do not inspire maniacs - there really is something wrong with them in the first place.  Sorry, one of my real complaints.

Yep - its a gripe i've got as well - hows it go in the movie 'scream'

"movies don't create psychos, movies make psychos more creative"

Seriously, the argument that movies, computer games, heck even pens and paper RPG _cause_ people to act in an immoral way is just utter rubbish.

But us sensible RPG types know that.....

Hmmm... Life imitating art or art imitating life. its an issue with an awful lot of points of view. Does the many media we have access to promote psychoses and cheapen the view of human life or is it something intrinsic to human nature that requires the type of release only murder can bring that modern society has tried so hard to supress.

In terms of role play people fear it for the same reason they fear anything, they don't understand it. People might be far more accepting of it if they understood that it was a relatively safe way of exploring events and circumstances that you would not normally get to experience and through that learn. Role play is all to easily classed as a game, 'just a bit of fun' with no merit other than whiling away a few hours in the company of friends. Its all to easy to forget that as a child we play many games for fun, but those games teach us many things that are important to know as an adult.

I'm still undecided as to what my opinion on the matter is, however I would like to leave on this note. The next time you're playing in a role play session and you decide to shoot someone in order to kill them, remember in the game its all to easy to pull the trigger.

That serious enough for you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Well when I wrote a text for something in our English class (Im from sweden) the teacher looked at it wondered if I was in to rpg. I said yes and she then said that many who play rpg are very good att english.

So I guess rpg is good.

Archived