Aberrant: Mutant High - [ST-Dave] Day Of The Dreadnoughts

Dave ST

Los Angeles

Dusk approached and slowly washed it shadow the giant city of Los Angeles California. The city was at relative peace with commuters returning from their jobs or setting off to the late shift while still more people were simply just enjoying the warm night air as sun set along the western horizon.

Several along the boardwalk looked up as a strange shadow caught their attention before it plummeted from the sky and smashed into the asphalt with a motorized impact. The thing was robotic, humanoid and stood at about twelve feet. Flat metallic paint coated its frame as it looked about before out stretching its arm. Compartments slid open and several barrels retracted about the radius of the machine’s forearm and begun to spin slowly in an ominous whine.

Mutant Gene Detected:

Commence Termination

Shards of orange light ejected from the whirling barrels at a pace that no human would have kept up with. One by one they tore into people on the streets, average people that no one would have suspected to be carrying the X-Gene. A man carrying groceries was torn to shreds his strange bluish-green blood smearing along the walls the business he was passing by. A woman, who had been jogging along the boardwalk when the excitement begun had managed to shift her skin into granite a moment too late as the things beams rocketed through her stony body leaving a searing hole where her chest used to be. Thunderously it stomped don the road as people stood paralyzed with fear while others ran for their lives.

“Mutant Gene Detected: Commence Termination” Its voice modulated aloud granting warning and, indeed, pause to those who knew they weren’t mutants who now stopped to watch the machine do what it was programmed for: slaughter. Reaching down it tore the roof from an SUV as the mother and her two children screamed in fear. Reaching in it plucked the twelve-year old daughter out of the front seat while she was struggling to undo her seat belt. The mother screamed and yelled for the thing to stop but it did only what it was programmed to do.

The girl screamed as she hit the concrete hard on her back, taking the breath from her lungs. The crowed turned away as a grizzly splatter smeared across the street when the machine’s massive foot smashed down upon the young girl. The robot looked to the mother who was in a tear filled panic with shock not to far away. Its metallic hand have her an approving ‘thumbs up’. “Thank you for your cooperation ma’am, vote Obama in 2012.”

Thrusters kicked on from its back, launching its massive body into a power slide across the asphalt to continue its patrol of Los Angeles streets.

Manthattan, 24 hours later…

They’d won free movie passes just for passing a simple five-question test. Sometimes LHA made having a good time too easy but you’d hardly hear them complaining. Sonja, her sister Oneca, Curtis and Hotstreak exited the movie theatre, Sonja collecting a good share of whistles and propositions as they did so. The Book of Eli was pretty cool, they had to admit but just getting out of the school for a few hours was more than worth it. Director Drumm really trusted them it seemed, sending them into Manhattan with no chaperones or supervision at all really.

‘The only good mutie is a dead mutie!’

‘Tell a mutie to kiss yer booty!’

‘We were here first!’

And other colorful slogans were spray painted all across the walls of the buildings they passed while the walked to the garage a few blocks away where the car was parked. They passed by the front of a electronics store, little to Oneca’s knowledge she was standing in the very spot her ‘boyfriend’ was standing just several weeks prior and like him the current news caught her and her companion’s eyes. The newscaster talked to the camera as the message ‘Mutant Hive Routed in Los Angeles!’

“Tonight’s top story,” He started. “Trial run of the Dreadnoughts has been hailed as a triumphant success as a mutant hive in Los Angeles was uncovered and neutralized with no civilian casualties. Authorities are still uncertain as whether or not the cell was linked to anti-human bombings and attacks in both New York and Washington. Department of Defense officials however say that evidence is undeniable.”

Professor Jensen appeared on the screen standing behind a podium speaking before a board of her ‘peers’ as the newscaster’s voice continued. “Human rights campaigners and Amnesty International have both condemned the action as ‘inhuman and unconstitutional’, provoking a stern White House response.”

The camera switched to a scene where man the screen introduced as General Conrad Drogan. “The President wishes to reaffirm his support for this project and offers his most sincere congratulations to the federal employees behind it. We will not give into mutant terrorist threats like those from this so called ‘Brotherhood’.”

The camera goes back to the newscaster. “Heavy stuff there, we’ll continue to follow this story as it develops. When we return Tiger Woods announces his seventeen million dollar contract promoting Durex condoms.” The commercials began and the young mutants were left on the cold dark streets of Manhattan suddenly feeling very alone.

Sometimes it’s not easy being different from everyone else...

Daniel felt like blowing the TV up. Instead he looked to his companions for the evening. "Not all Mutants are members of the damn Brotherhood. But it's too convenient for people to think that way."

His mood was far from normal and happy, and the ambient heat around him was at least eighty five degrees. He snorted in derision. "They treat us like we're a damn plague."

Realizing he was being something of a downer he sighed and then offered a smile. "At least the movie wasn't half bad. You all want to go get something to eat, coffee, or do you want to head back to the Academy?"

"Back. Now." Curtis' voice was authoritative, which took the others aback, but there was a ting of worry in his voice. "If these Dreadnoughts can flush out mutants with no trouble, and the trial run is over..."

He let the others put two and two together. "Call me paranoid, but I'd rather be bored for the rest of the night than sleeping forever."

Curtis finished in a low whisper of urgency. "Sorry, but do you think we can take that risk?"

"What the fuck are the 'Dreadnaughts'? That sounds like some lame metal-wannabe band."

Her voice was sharp and critical and she glared at the tv with enough force that Sonja might have feared her doing something....indiscrete on the public street. Dressed like she normally did: cloak, corset, boots, and enough makeup to make a Pharaoh blush, she certainly was already getting them enough attention (even if most of it was actually for Sonja).

She shrugged at Daniel and gave Curtis a withering look, "I'm up for coffee and pie or something. No need to rush back to Mommy so soon, we can take care of ourselves for a few hours, right?"

The last was a barb to the collective pride of the teens there, and Oneca was an expert at hitting that particular mark.

Sonja was having a surprisingly good time out, even with her sister. The movie had been okay, even good, and they hadn't been hassled at all, well not for being mutants. The Bahaar sisters still drew a lot of eyes and not a few comments. She was about to agree with 'Neca - surprise again! - about staying out for some pie and coffee, when something she said struck a nerve, a sense of dread rising.

"Mom..." Oneca heard her sister's soft exclamation, and turned to face her, a sharp retort freezing on her lips when she saw Sonja hovering close by her side, creamy tanned face growing pale.

The tall, young woman reached into her purse, pulling out her iPhone, hand shaking slightly. A long finger slid across the smooth surface, tapping her mother's phone number with a click of her nail, her other hand twining in a loose strand of silvery hair as she waited for her mother to pick up.

Daniel looked to Jeremy and shook his head. "I'm not that worried. We can stay out awhile longer."

He was about to ask Oneca where she wanted to go when Sonja pulled her phone out and called her mother. There was a part of him that wanted to laugh, but he knew he'd have been worried too, just abit. Besides he knew if he laughed she'd probably hit him far harder than he felt like being hit.

Curtis wasn't convinced by the others' bravado, but he also wasn't willing to leave them behind. His dark face showed his capitulation. As he turned his head aside for a moment, short string of words muttered low, short and quickly, and thus rather unintelligible except to Curtis sprang quietly from his mouth.

Asa Yngveldurdottir-Bahaar, the mother of both the Bahaar sisters, despite their disparity in everything, answered on the second ring, her voice husky, smooth, and warm with mirth. "Sonja-hon, this is a pleasant surprise. You and your sister are getting along, right?"

"Whuh? Am I... Me and 'Neca are doing... fine. I was calling about you. Are you okay?"

"Why wouldn't I be, hon? Your father and I are in wine country, doing a round of taste-testing. It's been very fine, so far."

"But - nothing weird has happened? Nothing?" Sonja hunched around her iPhone, her voice dropping so any passerbys wouldn't be able to make out the words. "The news - they were saying that they activated the Dreadnought Initiative in LA, wiped out a group of... mutants. When I heard that, I was worried. You haven't heard a thing?"

"The only noteworthy thing so far today is this incredibly pretentious Frenchman who may get thrown into the lake if he continues his disparaging diatribe and what some people believe can be blended into wine." Sonja's mother chuckled with wry warmth. "Don't fret, Sonja, I've been living off the commune for more than twenty years now, I'm pretty sure I can take of myself without my Skjalmo of a daughter rushing to my rescue. These Dreadnoughts do sound dreadful though. Hmm, your father is trying to get my attention. Keep an eye on your sister - is she still in that phase? - and tell her I love her. Hope you girls come visit soon. Kisses, bye!"

"Huh." Sonja stared at her phone, a brow arched quizzically, then answered Oneca's impatient roll of the eyes. "Mom's fine. Didn't hear a peep of whatever happened back home. Well, there's that at least. She hopes you're gonna outgrow this soon," Sonja said, gesturing at 'Neca's... style, then added, " and sends you her love."

"Oh, does she have some to spare from her precious Barbie Doll?" Oneca said, still showing her barbs.

"'Neca..." Sonja sighed, not wanting to fight. The evening had been nice, her mother was fine, and she wanted it to continue. She put her iPhone make in her purse and pulled out the keys to the BMW that her parents had gotten her for her sixteenth birthday.

"Seems like everything's fine. Let's not waste the rest of evening, hmm?" Sonja began leading the coterie of young mutants back to the garage, keys swinging on her finger, an extra bounce to her step. It was gonna be fine. "Anybody have any preferences? I've heard that Gimme! and Abraco are pretty good."

Dainel nods. "Either's fine. So long as we avoid Starbucks." He seemed happy, everything was going well for him, though he'd have preferred that Glacia had been able to come, then he wouldn't have had to be so conscious of his aura. Thankfully it was cold, so his aura was something of a blessing.

Curtis shrugged as he tried to put on a cheery face. "As long as the place we pick has plenty of ice for Hotstreak..." He buried his concern under poking fun at Daniel. "And wireless access, for poking around..."

At the others' stares, he scowled. "I'm not going to hack into anything. Jesus!"

She nodded to Sonja, the only indication she'd shown that she cared about the phone call. Turning to the others, she gave her own opinion on where to go.

"Steak-n-Shake, that place is always like twenty degrees colder than it should be. And who cares if you're hacking, Shane? I mean, shit, this is the kind of thing where that'd be pretty damn useful. Find out what really happened instead of the pretty-pretty-oh-look-we-killed-bad-muties shit they're selling to the morons. I mean public." She shrugged and lit up a cigarette once they were in the parking garage and out of the wind. "Same thing."

"Not quite necessary to hack, Oneca." Curtis countered. "Say what you will about the public and their manifold flaws, you can expect one thing out of them, and that is to expect someone to have a video or picture of major incidents. I'll just pop on the Web and see what the citizenry in LA really saw. Which for that matter, my laptop is in my pack, Sonja." he added for the blond girl's benefit.

At the mention of the Steak-n-Shake, Sonja's stomach rumbled, and she suddenly realized she wanted something a little more substantial then coffee and pie. "Steak-n-Shake it is," she decided, since she was the one driving.

The tall blonde scrunched her nose as Oneca lit her cigarette, but for a wonder, didn't say anything about it, instead turning to Curtis. "No super-big rush, Curt. We can wait 'til we're sitting down."

Sonja led the group to her sporty, silver BMW, pressing a button on the fob, the beep-bweep of the alarm system disengaging echoing from the concrete walls of the garage. Reaching for the door, Oneca scowled to find it still locked, turning golden eyes on her sister over the roof of the sleek automobile.

Deep indigo eyes glared back pointedly. "You're not smoking in my car, 'Neca." Oneca snorted, blowing out a stream of blue-grey smoke to the ceiling, refusing to be rushed. Taking a last drag, she crushed the butt under a sharp heel, then gestured at it with an annoyed flourished. "There! Happy?"

Sonja sighed then nodded, unlocking the doors with another button on the fob. She slid in behind the wheel, and after making sure everyone buckled up, with three sets of rolling eyes, pulled out of the lot with quick, but controlled, speed.

Sonja weaved through the New York traffic casually. The Island wasn't that big until someone tried to actually get somewhere on it, then it seemed impossibly long. There wasn't much conversation to be had but the ride was comfortable enough and the thought of real food appealed to every occupant.

Above them, however, patrolling the city was a spark of thrusters and a trail of ebony smoke...

Mutant Gene Detected: Commence Termination

Negative. Chance of Civilian Casualties, 77%.

Override, Commence Termination

Thrusters engaged and the mammoth war machine streaked down to the pavement below. The four mutants heard the crash of the impact behind them as it landed onto the asphalt, taking a few vehicles with it. The thrusters engaged again and sparked flew up from its feet as it streaked towards them sliding along the avenue and gaining on them incredibly fast. Compartments on its wrist slid open and several barrels extended around the radius of its forearm, it's weapons were powering up.

"Mutants in the BMW. Please, halt so that termination may commence, thank you for your cooperation." The barrels began to spin incredibly fast.

Click to reveal..

You each have on action to do something before all the hell actually breaks loose.

Dreadnaught02.jpg

"Holy fuck!" Sonja yelped at she felt her car rattle from the impact, saw the metal behemoth in the rearview mirror. "Everyone, outta the car!"

Sonja stepped on the gas, then slammed on the brakes, swerving to a jarring stop around the corner of the next block, breaking line of sight to the Mutant Annihilating Robot for all of second, if that. Sonja slammed her door open, snapped her seat-belt like a thread and leapt out of the car, yanking her sister along with her, head craning around to keep an eye on the several tons of death.

Daniel bolted from the car going with Curtis. "Quiet Curtis. Time of snarky comments later. Can you hack that thing?"

He contemplated turning on his flame barrier, but that woul draw too much attention. Instead he grabbed Curtis and ran, hoping there was only one.

Oneca was more than willing to be hauled out of the car by Sonja, for once the endless bickering and powerplays of the sisters completely forgotten. She did spot the boys heading away from the direction Sonja was dragging her in and dug in her heels with a, "Splitting up now just means it'll kill us one by one. We gotta stick together."

With that, she headed around the car to where Dan and Curtis were. "Dan! Can you carry Curtis? Better to try to outfly than outrun this thing. If nothin else, we can reach some backup at hell of lot quicker!"

"I can grab him if I have to, but it'll be really damn akward." She was already a few inches off the ground, motioning for Sonja to grab onto her so they could fly away from the scary ass thing that was trying to kill them.

The whirling of its wrist alerted them to it's assault long before it arrived. Yellow beams of energy tore through the street and shredded anything in their path. One by one the BMW was slammed his energy bolts and each impact marred the car's perfect surface and kicked it back several feet as the concussive energy beams ripped it to pieces.

The students all dove to the side suddenly to avoid the attack, getting to safety just in time as Sonja's Beamer exploded and lit of the Manhattan streets in a ball of fire.

Click to reveal..
Initiative is as follows. Hotstreak and Oneca are up first.

Curtis - 10

Dreadnought -12

Sonja - 12

Hotstreak - 15

Oneca - 15

It wasn't going to give them time to get away. They'd have to split up and he wasn't sure they could beat this thing in smaller teams. He pulled his hood down hoping to try and mask his features some.

"New Plan! Slag it right here Fast!" He was counting on his display to attract its attention. A veil of flames wreathed the young mutant and flames wreathed his eyes as fire shot forth from his hands towards the killer mechanoid.

Click to reveal..
raising Shield for +8/+8 soak

attack with lethal blast

(08:27:48) ChatBot: (Hotstreak) rolls 9d10 and gets 6,6,2,1,2,8,4,3,6. 1 success

damage from attack is [2]+ 8d10

soak is 11/10

"Dammit!" Boys! Oneca utter a few more choice English phrases, but darted out with the hot-headed upperclassman, beyond thankful now for the lessons she and Revanant had been having. She swallowed hard as she got a look at the giant murdering robot, but steeled herself and called up the power inside of her. The faint red haze that was always around her thought usually only dimly visible in the dark sprang into a hellishly vivid outline as she pushed the chaos inside her towards the enemy.

Click to reveal.. (Entropy Control, Breakdown)
1d10=3, 1d10=5, 1d10=7, 1d10=5, 1d10=9

2 suxx against the robot's Stamina (according to the book, Stamina should be lower for more complex objects per what breakdown does, but these robots were also made to kill mutants. wink )

6 qp spent

Originally Posted By: Oneca
"Dan! Can you carry Curtis? Better to try to outfly than outrun this thing. If nothin else, we can reach some backup at hell of lot quicker!"

"You can fly?!" Sonja exclaimed at her hovering sister. Oneca glanced at her shocked sister, a small smirk playing on her lips, despite the tumult. She thought there was something in Sonja's purple-blue eyes that she had never seen before, at least not ever directed her way - envy.

Originally Posted By: Dan
"Sonja you carry Curtis, you're stronger and probably faster than both of us. Get out of the city!"

Sonja blinked the surprise away at seeing 'Neca levitating in the air, then shook her head, silvery hair flying. "If you think I'm leaving my sister behind to face that thing without me, you're sorely mistaken, Dan. And 'Neca, we can't lead it back to the school, there's little kids-"

Anything else she was going to say was interrupted by her sweet sixteen present being shredded to scrap then exploding into a ball of fire, followed by Dan turning into his own ball - okay man-shape - of fire.

"Dammit!" Sisters! Sonja uttered a few more choice English phrases as her sister zoomed ahead after Hotstreak, limned in vivid vermilion. Adrenaline surging with fear and anger, Sonja's feet pressed against the ground with the sound of cracking pavement as she charged at the Machine 'O Mutant Destruction.

She turned into a streaking blur, wind tearing from her rising velocity, the sound blending with her wordless scream. Moving with nearly the speed of a jet fighter and the power of a freight train, Amazon Barbie leapt, one, long, shapely, astonishingly strong leg arcing out to kick the Dreadnought's Gauntlet of Lasery Mayhem from its shoulder, prepared to duck and roll from any retaliation.

Click to reveal.. ( Combat!)

Activating Enhanced Movement for the Scene (3fp)
Activating Hypermovement 2 (2fp)

Multiple Actions: 2 (-2 first Roll, -3 second Roll)

Action 1: Hyperspeed Strike, aiming for the arm with Gauntlet 'O Death, spending WP for extra success. (Difficulty +2, +1 success)
Hit Roll, first 2 Mega: 8d10.hits(7) = 6 successes
Modify for Difficulty and Willpower = 5 successes, 4 overflow to damage Roll
Damage = [10] + 4d10 (Str) + 2d10 (Strike) + 4d10 (Hyperspeed) + 4d10 (Hit Overflow) = [10] + 14d10
Damage Roll, if M-Str clears Soak: 14d10.hits(7) = 5 Bashing

Action 2: Dodge, if needed
Dodge Roll, first 2 Mega: 9d10.hits(7) = 6 successes

+2 difficulties to hit Sonja due to Hyperrunning

HL: Uninjured, F-Pool: 17/22, WP: 6/7

[Hotstreak] Super-heated flames scorched the Dreadnoughts heavy armor plating encasing nearly one side almost entirely in flame. The metal blackened and scarred and slowly began to shimmer a molten orange.

Click to reveal..
Final damage was 4 Lethal.

[Oneca]Swiftly the monstrosity found itself in over it's mechanical head. Pure random causality tore through the machine's subsystems, bypassing armor and corroding circuitry all at one. Patches of rust formed at its joints as hydraulics seized and its logistics centers began notifying it of over two dozen subsystem failures nearly simultaneously.

Click to reveal..
Final Damage was 2 Lethal.

[sonja]The powerful Amazon smashed her leg into the Dreadnought at neck breaking velocity. Metal crunched and the titanium alloy barrels that spun relentlessly with their high pitched whine were silenced in a single super powered kick...

...and tendons and sinew tore along with metal. Although Sonja was incredibly fast, and he body could handle super high speeds, slamming herself into hard objects was not part of the package.

Click to reveal..
Final damage was 5 Bashing to the Dreadnought.

Hyperslam damage on Sonja was [5]+7d10.

Final damage to Sonja was 3 Bashing.

[Dreadnought]"Running diagnostic... compiling data..." The behemoth war machine's modulated voice echoed in the city streets as it staggered from side to side. Its armor was dented and marred while sparks shot from heavy cracks in its casing. A single red eye remained unscorched as its targeting array assessed the situation.

Swiftly it sifted through data, which unfortunately was corrupted and several packets were formatted due to Oneca's 'unforeseen technical difficulties'. "Targeting... Error. Data corrupt. Assessing... Error. Data corrupt."

Swiftly it lashed out swung a powerful arm around in Sonja's direction. Like a blur she sidestepped out of the way as the megaton punch smashed into the street and cratered the area around the impact. A small quake shook the ground from the force of the blow but all the students seemed to retain their footing, if not left somewhat impressed by the sheer force of power these things could dole out.

Click to reveal..
Attack -> Sonja = Miss (dodged).

The quake was just an effect, drama only.

Curtis shook from the force on the blow, but he was undaunted, considering the pounding they were doling out to the Dreadnought. Well, apparently this was more effective on surprised, isolated, unprepared single targets. Fighting back was not entirely there it seemed.

And he was ready for the coup de grace. Stopping the machine dead straight including many methods, Curtis knew. But the best method seemed to simply be letting its power source run rampant.

He let his mind dive into the machine, searching for the image of the electricity from the power source, grasped it, and tore it free to go wild.

Click to reveal..

(06:23:38) (Curtis): Cyberkinesis: Overload

(06:23:54) (Curtis): Wits+CyberK+WP [1]

(06:24:04) ChatBot: (Curtis) rolls 8d10 and gets 3,2,2,2,2,4,10,9.

(06:24:42) (Curtis): 3 sux on Overload, hopefully, this will bring in down for good

OOC: Dave has given the blessing for me to take over here. We shall now move forward here apace.

Curtis' overloading the machine finished the Dreadnought. It barely had time to vocalize a "Warning! Power C-" before the energies unleashed tore it apart in a mini-explosion of electrical energy. The boom was guarenteed to attract attention. Fortunately, the students were unharmed by the blast.

Daniel grunted and looked around. "We need to get out of here right now. I sugges relxing the powers and we can call the School. We could go back on our own, the quick showy way, or take a cab."

He thinks for a second. "If anyone's got Jaime's number we can call her up and get her to open a gate to get us back home."

He eyes the wreckage of the robot. "Think we ought to take a peice of it back,for evidence?"

He looks at Curtis. "Any chance you could figure out that thing with a peice of it?"

The voluptuous teen Valkyrie stomped over to the mass of metal and circuits and picked the arm-cannon that outweighed her as if it was a paper weight, slender, powerful fingers crumpling the armour plating. She eyed the flaming wreckage of her silver Beemer with angry sadness, it had been her sweet sixteen birthday present and this was far worst than a scratch or fender bender.

She rejoined the others, cajoling them into an alleyway and out of sight. "Come on Sis, stop flying for now. Okay guys, I don't have Jamie's number, so unless someone does, we play some phone tag. We have to call Drumm anyway, warn him about these things and find out if there are any other students in Manhattan. If there are, we should all link up and go back together."

Curtis nodded, stepped further into the alleyway for a moment and pulled out his cell phone, dialing Jamie. After a minute or two of talking and what sounded like muffled shouting from the phone, the portal opened up. Curtis closed up the phone and signaled for the remainder of the group to come with him as he stepped through.

[OOC: My proposal is to open up another (or more) fic open to all to represent the aftermath of Dreadnought back at the school. That would start after we get back. Naturally, someone(people) who'd be willing to should play Drumm and other school NPCs. They'll want to hear about this event.]

Archived