Aberrant: Mutant High - [ST-Dave] An Offer You Can't Refuse

Dave ST

Each had been summoned to Director Drumm’s office; a large room that seemed like is was more of a massive study than an office. Alex, Josh, Violet, and the obsidian boy who called himself Shard had all received a summons while in the middle of their clsses to report to the Director’s office. Gracie had let them in and although Josh was the first to arrive the others got there within minutes of him. This Director himself, however, was no tin his office waiting to greet any of them, in fact it was just the four of them left to wonder exactly what they’d done wrong –or right- to merit such a visit.

As they all stood, or sat, waiting for the Director to arrive they were left with wondering what exactly the big mystery was...

Click to reveal..
All characters are present and together in the Director's office when this thread begins.

As she waited in the Director's office, Violet allowed herself a few subtle indulgences. Even in the presence of other students, being there without Drumm present seemed somehow taboo, and the thrill of doing something "forbidden" brightened her eyes suspiciously. Her pale fingertips stroked the leatherbound books lining mahogany shelves, explored the texture of the large globe that concealed the Director's secret stash of bourbon, and traced the sculpted trim that decorated his desk. She loved being in here, for all that it was generally for one of their little "chats" after she'd been caught doing something her instructors didn't like. It smelled of leather, old wood, and the faintly spicy notes of Drumm's aftershave, and it took considerable effort to focus on the fact that she was not alone.

Clearing her throat with a slightly guilty flush in her cheeks, Violet perched on the edge of the Director's desk and looked at the other students inquisitively. Her gaze settled on Josh, and she grinned in spite of herself.

"Well, if you're in here, I can only assume we're not all in trouble. Any ideas why we were all called up?"

Alex perched himself on the arm of a couch, the swirling haze of his aura warming the room in all senses of the word. The solar mutant was dressed simply enough: a crisp white shirt open at the collar, and black pants, with a book-bag resting by his Gucci-clad feet. His mane of molten gold hair fell around his shoulders in an artless tumble, the tip of a pencil poking out from behind one ear an incongruous note that somehow just served to highlight his attractiveness rather than mar it.

"I don't think I've incinerated any school furniture." he said deadpan in response to Violet's playful tone before his lips quirked in a wry grin. He seemed relaxed and confident as he leaned on the couch, as unrumpled and fresh-seeming as he had been when he'd strolled into the cafeteria for breakfast that morning. He looked around the study at the other two mutants present. "Either of you got a clue about this? I'm certain I've not done anything wrong lately, but I'm not expecting any big news either."

When Josh first rolled into the Director's office, with no one else in there, he felt very awkward. Being alone in the room with three other people, but still no Director, didn't alleviate the awkwardness of the situation at all.

But then there was Violet.

At her comment, making it seem like he was some sort of Teacher's Pet (which, in all honesty, was a fairly accurate description... at least as far as Prof. Jensen goes... but then again she was his mentor), Josh rolled his eyes a little. Then, in regard to both Violet and Alex, he responded. "I'm not certain why we're here. I haven't missed any of my classes, and it's still too early in the year for any of us to be here because of poor academics. If it were just me, I might suspect that it had something to do with lab use policies, but the three of you shoot that idea in the foot. The four of us don't share the same mentors, classes, dorm floor, sex, extracurricular activities, abilities, or much of anything else that I can theorize. So, I would assume that it's not something class or school in particular related.

As far as I know, none of us has a peachy keen home life, so that might have something to do with it. Or it could be some big news that none of us have any idea about... or some sort of infraction or association that has gotten us in trouble without us realizing that we share it."

Josh sighed and shrugged. "I got no clue." And then he turned to the one called 'Shard', as he was the only one who hadn't spoken yet.

Shard looked at the others and quietly shook his head, "Sorry. No clues here, unless it has something to do with our families... you never know with this sort of thing." He sat down in one of the chairs there for visitors, leaning forward to keep from damaging it too much.

The doors of the office burst open and Drumm stormed through them moving at an extremely hurried pace. Like a CEO with more work than time. "You know what you've done, right? Right? I mean really, think about it for a moment guys you've declared a war."

Suddenly confused and fearful at Drumm's proclamation of how the students had begun a war they could help but look oddly at one another. Violet quickly began planning a way to somehow blame Warren or Kazuo for he part in this...

"You built those things to counter the Brotherhood and so you decide to test them on innocent mutants. Really?" He looked right at Josh as he spoke his accusation and before Josh could retort the Director's eyes grew wide in surprise and he feigned a gasp. "Oh, that's lovely... just lovely, don't even bother with the excuses. Let me tell you what you've done since you've obviously put no forethought into this whatsoever."

He pointed to Alex, who could only manage a confused point to himself in the universal 'me? are you sure?' mannerism. "What you've done is create an infernal death trap that no sane mutant will tolerate the existence of and will destroy if given half the chance. Then you label those mutants who are simply fighting for sporting chance in this world terrorists for destroying government property! You're a real bastard Drogan, you know that?"

"But... I'm Alex..." was all the solar mutant could manage as he swallowed hard, a bit worried like the others.

His hands rested on his hips as he paced back and forth from behind his desk now. "I understand you hate them, but if your going to hate something do it honestly, don't hide behind your pathetic justifications and bureaucratic nonsense." He laughed suddenly and slammed his hands down on the desk and looked at the students. Each of them jumped suddenly, startled by the accusations and still living in a confusing swirl of misinformation.

"Oh you think so, you piece of slime?"

Shard swallowed hard and just barely managed a whiny "No..." as he shook his head slowly hoping someone would clue him in or save him soon.

"Send one..." Director Drumm's eyes grew so cold and the tone of his voice was so serious that the students felt a sudden wave of fear. "...and if you so much as harm a single hair on the head of any of the children at my school I will bring down a wrath of God upon you the likes of which you could never dream. Believe that or not you knuckle dragging filth, but do not doubt it."

He slid off the slender bluetooth ear piece and let it bounce on the desk. The students all suddenly sighed in relief as some clarity was introduced to the situation. "Sorry you all had to hear that, forgive me." Drumm's mannerisms went back to the Director they all knew; kind, sincere and honest. He cocked an eye brow and panned across his students. "You feeling okay? You all seem a little pale."

Alex blinked, looking from the headset to the Director. Okay, so something had seemed off: after all, Alex was pretty sure none of them had declared a war or had built any 'death traps'... Well, Josh might have, but the solar-powered young man was pretty sure that the momentum-controller had better things to do. And Alex was certain that none of them were called Drogan. Nevertheless, the Director's ire was nothing short of impressive, and even the surface illusion that it was aimed at the students present despite no rational cause was enough to leave them all rattled. Now that the appearance of insanity had gone, Alex recovered his composure with admirable speed.

"I think we're alright now, Director Drumm." he said politely as he glanced at the earpiece on the oak desk. "It is entirely possible they make those things too small, though." he deadpanned, then relaxed back onto the arm of the couch, blue eyes thoughtful as they regarded Drumm. After a moment, he spoke again.

"You wanted to see us about something, sir?"

Josh simply nodded in agreement, his relative fleetness of mind having left him during the storm that had been Director Drumm.

His mind, however, was busily processing everything that he'd heard through his current framework of the world.

Some group, the leader of which is Drogan, had created some form of 'infernal death trap', that was owned by the government, to combat some group called 'the brotherhood', and tested it on innocent mutants. Thus, that group had declared war on... mutants... And, apparently, the idea of sending one of those 'infernal death traps' to the school had crossed the mind of this group... Josh felt a sudden wave of fear and nausea as this clicked into place and he wondered how much longer the LHA would continue to be a safe haven for him and his class mates.

But, Director Drumm had confidence in... the student's ability to defend themselves? or some other means of keeping the students safe, and he had some 'wrath of God upon you the likes of which you could never dream' up his sleeve that he could bring down on this, probably governmental, group.

That would help Josh sleep a little easier tonight...

But just barely.

• 1 month later...

The dots were all connected in Drumm's mind rather swiftly and he smiled big and laughed a bit. "Ah, terribly sorry. No, no, none of that was aimed at any of you, I was just getting reacquainted with an old friend."

Turning his chair to face him better he took a moment to sit down and get comfortable. The assembled students could see that under the exterior of the whimsical and seemingly care-free man there was a torrent of worry and concern today. After a long pause that came from him trying to consider his next words carefully he finally addressed the group. "I've called you all in here for a single purpose: to help me with a task."

He smiled that devil's grin of his. "I'll give you the cliff's notes version. The Dreadnought Initiative has passed. Yesterday morning twelve foot tall carbonadium armored mutant killing machines with a limited Artificial Intelligence and the latest in gravitic propulsion systems was sent out into the world with only one thing in their programming: hunt mutantkind to extinction. Now, before you get alarmed, the Dreadnoughts are not permitted to attack a government facility, this being a recognized and accredited university means were safe for the time being."

He sighed. "I'm doing all I can to keep these thing off our front lawn, so it may seem silly that I'm asking you to leave the safety of the school to assist with a task. There is a young man named Micheal Christian, a mutant. He possesses a rare set of powers and I've gotten word that an A.E.G.I.S. squad is being deployed to retrieve him. I wish I had more time to explain who or what A.E.G.I.S. is, but suffice it to say that they are only interested in turning your species into lab rats."

His hands seem speak a thousand words all their own as they moved while spoke. "That is why what I'm going to ask is difficult. I would like you to go and retrieve Michael before they do. I won't sugar coat this, you may have to force him, but it's better than the alternative. Now listen very carefully, all of you. I will not make you, I can not make you, do this. I, as the Director of this school have just ask you to potentially commit a crime and am willing ask you to place your self in a potentially dangerous situation, I am aware of this, but I need your help. If the Department of Defense show up on our doorstep I need to be here or else I'd go and get Michael myself."

"I will not hold it against any of you if you decide not to go. I'm asking a lot and my request is irresponsible of me, but I ask it none the less." He looked to each of them, his eyes scanning the room. There seemed to be no pity or 'puppy dog eyes' in his expression. He wasn't trying to guilt anyone into anything, simply just asking for their aid, although it was undeniable the man had a charisma that seemed to bleed into ever word he spoke. "So, any takers?"

Alex had listened quietly as the Director made his case, but now stood up from where he was perched on the arm of the couch. Mutant-killing machines were one thing, and a definite problem. But one young mutant about to be hauled off to a lab the likes of which Warren had escaped? Not if I can do something about it.

"Count me in, sir." he told Drumm gravely. "We'll bring him back here for you."

Almost unconsciously, Violet shook her head as she stared wide-eyed at the other students. Her thoughts racing, she blinked incredulously at Alex, wondering what had happened to the otherwise perfectly rational young man that he would be willing to throw his life away.

No. No, no no! There is no way I'm going to go running off to rescue some kid from a government agency. I've seen movies that started out this way, and they always have a lot of explosions. A LOT of explosions. Especially if giant robot killing-machines are involved. I'm allergic to explosions. And dying. Someone always dies. And, let's face it. The "pretty girl" usually gets mortally wounded, and makes some tearful request of the hero. Being mortally wounded is so not on my agenda! I'm not a big fan of pain, guys, and I really don't think this is-

The Director's gaze swung her way, coffee-colored eyes inquisitive and searching, and her smitten young heart surrendered without any further hesitation as the faint strains of violins echoed in the back of her mind.

"If we don't do it, who will?" she heard herself ask, distantly, as if in a dream.

No, that's not what I wanted to say at all! I just- Oh, hell. He so owes me for this.

Josh listened to what Director Drumm had to say, making a mental note of everything he said. He knew he'd be able to recall everything the Director said later, but with information this important he wanted to make doubly sure. He then watched and listened to Alex and Violet as they agreed to the mission, all the while fitting Drumm's words into his framework of understanding the world. Some things were an easy fit, but others required severe rearranging.

Then Josh looked to Shard, and seeing that he wasn't quite yet ready to say anything, directed his attention back towards the Director and gave his question. "I'm going to assume that the four of us were specifically chosen for this... errand for a particular reason. I'm also going to assume that it has something to do with our abilities and how they compliment and/or could work together. That being the case, I would be endangering not only this Michael Christian, whom none of us know, but also my friends here.

So that's a yes," He stated resolutely and matter of factly.

Then he broke the tension. "I assume that this will count as an excused absence from classes?" He gave a hint of a smile. He was being, at least partially, very serious about this question; but he also knew that it was very much not in line with the current air of the room.

"Perposterous!" Drumm's face turned to a mixture of scorn and disbelief. "I'm not running an outreach program here Mr. Stephens. 'Excused absence'... of all the..." Then he shrugged off the voice with a jovial grin. "I'm just messing with you guys, but yes Josh, your abilities do compliment each others and I do not know what will become of this situation. Watch over your classmates, keep each other safe."

"Very noble of you Miss Vincent, I excepted you'd be a bit more resistant to the possibility of danger." She could have sworn she saw a sparkle reflect off his teeth as he smiled at her. "Thank you to all of you, sincerely. It's always darkest before the dawn my students, and if we're going to help this world come to it's senses then perhaps foolishness like this Dreadnought Initiative is just what we need to open the people's eyes. Peter, Shard, you guys keep them safe, okay?"

Shard nodded, offering a pleasant smirk. "Will do."

With the GPS in the school van locating Michael Christian's home in an upscale suburb was not very difficult. His family didn't appear 'rich' by any means, but 'well off' certainly fit the bill. His home was in the middle of a small cul-de-sac, about halfway down the block. It was almost out of a movie as Violet drove slowly down the road. Children played outside in the snow, threw snowballs across the street or between yards at their friends and laughing and merriment seemed the order of the day... which meant this was not going to end well.

The van slowed to a stop outside Michael's house. "Lawrence Hunt Academy for the Genetically Gifted" was emblazoned brightly on the side of the van, which the occupants couldn't help but read as: "Hey, look! We come with our own Bulls Eye! Lock n' load A.E.G.I.S., we're right here!"

The black stone man known as 'Shard' set foot into the snow as he exited the van. His Hawaiian accent was thick when he spoke up. "Man, kid's living good." He looked down to his feet, ice cold in the snow. "My kingdom for a ten foot wave though bruh."

The children all stopped playing as their gazes turned to the mutants exiting the van. A few scurried into their homes to warn their parents while others were simply enchanted by the awesome figures standing before them. "Woah!" "Cool!" "Wicked!" were the choice phrases for the more fearless among them who dared get a closer look.

"Maybe they have a wave-machine out back?" Alex quipped deadpan as he slid back the rear passenger door, flashing the braver (or simply more awestruck) kids a literally dazzling smile as he climbed out of the van, his swirling aura a golden herald of the warmer months to come as it shone off the snow around him. He dropped the ramp for Josh's chair and stepped aside, letting the kinetically-gifted mutant extricate himself from the van whilst studying the house ahead. He was dressed smart-casual today, wearing black slacks, white shirt and a long black woollen coat, topped off with a white scarf tossed idly around his neck and shoulders. His long golden hair was tied back loosely into a pony-tail, and as usual the young sun-god made looking good seem ridiculously easy. As soon as Josh was safely down, he smiled at the others and rubbed his glowing hands together, partly from nerves, partly from anticipation.

"Well, let's do this then. Shard, you want to take watch? We'll try to get this done without freaking out too many Mundanes. The kid is likely to be less trouble than his parents." Blue eyes narrowed in thought for a second. "One honk for 'something funny' or civilian trouble, two honks for police interest, three honks for 'all hell is about to break loose'. Sound good to you all?" He looked at Violet, Josh and Shard inquisitively.

Shard nodded. "Cool with me." He gave Peter a slap on the shoulder. "I'll handle things out here, you guys go play nice. If we got trouble, I'll let ya know."

He took a moment to glance at Violet and Josh. "You two keep an eye on him, and if the Michael kid gives you any problems, you call me, yeh?" It seemed that he felt Peter could take care of himself and was more concerned about the lovely young woman and the handicapped genius. "I'll be right here."

Wearing a simple white button up shirt and black slacks, Josh was silent most of the trip. In his mind he replayed the events from Director Drumm's office over and over, looking for nuances that he'd missed before. A lot had happened in the 15-20 minutes that they were in there, and he was doing his best to make sure that he didn't miss any of it.

When they got to Michael's house, Josh tried his best to take everything in; the neighbors, the children playing in the streets, the relative wealth of the family, the number of cars in the driveway, if they had security stickers or placards on their front door or in their lawn, bird feeders/baths... everything. Any detail that he could notice now could provide a valuable insight later. When you were as quick on your feet as he could be, it was prudent to know as much as you could... so you didn't end up quick off a cliff.

When Alex dropped the ramp for him, something that he could've done for himself, he rolled down and thanked him. Then, thankful that the walkway to the front door was clear, tried to start figuring out how fast he'd have to go, and what angle he'd have to leave the ground at to get his chair up onto the porch. Doing this with his chair was just the same as if he'd jumped a ramp, but, if his timing was right, he'd be able to land as gently as a feather. It would definitely be a spectacle for the kids that were still watching them (one they might try to duplicate on their bicycles come spring... yay for being a role model?).

Josh listened to Alex's plan, and nodded his agreement. "That sounds good. Now, as for the front porch, I think I can get myself up it, if I can get up enough speed first. I just need you two to stand back once you reach the steps. That is, unless either of you think you could carry me up the steps?" He looked at Alex and Violet, knowing that even together they probably couldn't dead lift his chair up those steps.

It'd been so long since he'd been out in this van and needed them before, that he completely forgot about the portable set of ramp boards stored in the back of the van.

Willing her teeth not to chatter, Violet winked playfully at Shard as she stood on the sidewalk, pushing her sunglasses back atop her head and glancing around the yard. She was dressed as casually as anyone had ever seen her, her hair in a French braid, wearing a pair of brown Doc Martens, dark jeans, and a forest green angora sweater, but on her, it still seemed sophisticated and... expensive.

"No, I'm afraid I've never been good at the heavy lifting," she grinned apologetically at Josh, flexing a slim arm as if to display a nonexistent bicep. The movement of the children caught her eye, and she offered them a bright smile and a wave that was essentially just a wiggle of her gloved fingers.

Captivated by the purple princess, who seemed to move in slow motion for all the young boys looking at her, the most Violet got as a response was raised hands that would have wiggled back and forth like hers if they weren't moving so slow having been almost halted by their lack of concentration and sudden loss of higher brain functions.

Peter did a fine job of wooing just about every girl in three blocks who fit into the 13-15 demographic who simply just stood there awestruck like smiling idiots as if he were the lost Jonas brother...

Shard and Josh didn't fare so well in the fan club bracket, but neither seemed to particularly care. The obsidian skinned Hawaiian teen simply grinned and shook his head at the younger kids' antics. "I tell ya brah," He lifted up Josh's chair effortlessly. "Must be nice to be a walking photo-op, yeh? If they start throwing their panties at him, I say we bail."

A few steps later Josh found himself on the porch, set down softy by his polished-to-a-sheen companion. Shard walked back down, past Violet and Peter as they made their approach to the house. "I'll be here. Tell em' I said hello, will yeh?" a pearly white smile of sarcasm seeped through as he made his joke.

Whispers and murmurs took hold of the streets as parents and children took notice of what was going on at the Christian household across the way. Nosy neighbors and 'concerned' citizens (read: super nosy) either stepped out onto their porches to peered through curtained windows. Several called for heir child to come home, with some complaints...

Swiftly the front door opened and Josh was faced by Candace Christian, Michael's Mother. Confused and slightly frightened (the black stone guy at the van didn't help much...) she managed to ask: "C-can I help you? Who are you?"

"Hello, Mrs Christian." Alex said politely as he stepped up to flank Josh, offering the woman a warm smile and an outstretched hand as his other hand indicated the others in turn. "I'm Alex. This is Violet and Josh, and the big fellow by the van is Shard." Realising that he was being gestured at, the obsidian-skinned young man gave a short wave before going back to watching the street as Alex went on, radiating sunlight, good manners and an educated English accent in equal measures. "We're here to talk to Michael, and yourself naturally, on a matter of some importance. Is he in?"

Click to reveal..

Charisma and Etiquette roll to make a good first impression

1d10=9, 1d10=7, 1d10=5, 1d10=2, 1d10=9, 1d10=9

4 succs

Josh turned his chair to face Michael's mother as she opened the door, and suddenly realized that he was all alone. He hadn't given any thought to what he would say in introduction, he assumed that one of the two socialites would begin the conversation.

He did his best to not look like a dear caught in the headlights, and actually succeeded... due to Alex's timely intervention.

Thank you Alex. You may have saved this entire encounter. I'm not nearly as good with people as you are. Thanks.

Josh decided to not add anything to what Alex said, best not to pressure her too much. If they did she'd be well within her rights to ask them to leave. Hopefully that wouldn't be the case.

[Alex, Etiquette: Failure] "M-Michael?" She stuttered nervously for only a moment before she composed herself. Her motherly instincts send a shiver down her spine as these strange mutants approached her and her family's home. She placed herself between the threshold and her guests, pulling the door close to her to prevent any from looking inside. "I'm sorry, he's not here and I don't believe I recognize any of you, I'm aware of the company my son keeps. Now, please leave."

The tone was matter of fact and the scowl she was giving them told them were no longer welcome on the porch...

Click to reveal..
Alex's successes were adjusted for Social Penalty from taint, and the general mutant hating populace in general...

Inwardly, Violet winced. This was not at all how it was supposed to go, and if she didn't think of something quickly, the situation was going to spiral rapidly downward.

"Mrs. Christian," she began, her tone mollifying as she caught the woman's gaze. "My name is Violet. I realize that we're unexpected, and unwelcome guests here, and we apologize for disturbing you. We mean absolutely no harm to you and your family. Actually, we're here as representatives of the Lawrence Hunt Academy, and we would like to talk to you about the full scholarship being extended to your son. Our Director believes he's a very talented, very special young man, and if he's interested, we'd like to take you all on a tour of the campus."

Without breaking eye contact, she stepped slightly to the side, allowing the woman an unobstructed view of the van, its logo, and the bright suburban sunshine with all its peace and promise.

What threat could we possible pose? her hopeful smile seemed to ask. We're on your front porch, in broad daylight, and we're just a group of kids who want to talk to you about sending your very gifted son to school.

Click to reveal.. (Power Use)

"Pretty Please?"

Energy spent to activate: 2

(14:51:44) ChatBot: (V._Vincent) rolls 5d10 and gets 1,8,3,8,4.

(14:51:59) ChatBot: (V._Vincent) rolls 3d10 and gets 9,10,8.

2 successes for power activation v. 3 successes for the woman's willpower.

Failure.

Click to reveal..

Apparently I forgot the social roll. Violet has no Etiquette skill, so per Dave, no Mega use.

(00:16:45) ChatBot: (V._Vincent) rolls 4d10 and gets 9,5,9,6. 2 successes. Yay.

Click to reveal..
(Mom from Hell) rolls 4d10 and gets 6,7,1,1.
Violet wins by a single success. Not enough to convince her you are trustworthy, but enough to keep her from forcing all of you off the porch.

"S-special?" She paused and looked at the purple princess. Thankfully most baselines didn't have the will or genes necessary to detect when mutant mind trickery was used against them. She wasn't a foolish woman and the pieces quickly began falling into place. "Scholarship? But, that would mean he's like you." Those on porch didn't think the accidental turn of phrase could have carried with it more racism, even if she'd actually been trying.

She didn't take notice of her offense.

Her eyes narrowed and she seemed irritated. "Michael! Michael you get your butt down here right now, and by right now I mean five minutes ago!"

Although she didn't move from her position at the door, the mutants had gained some ground.

After a moment everyone heard the sounds of movement upstairs followed by someone running heavily down the stairs. Michael half yelled out, "Hey Mom, is it for me?" Michael looked past his mom out the door at Violet and the others and said in shock, "Oh my!" shocked

Michael was wearing a maze and blue sweater with the logo from the University of Santa Cruz Banana Slugs. He'd probably been studying like a good little high school student athlete.

Josh put on his best nice face; this lady was starting to remind him more and more of his own biological parents. That wasn't a good thing... but it could turn out to their advantage. If they could convince her that her son was indeed like them, she might turn out to be more than willing to send him away, just to be rid of the sight of what was once her son.

He addressed Michael first, quickly covering the ground that Alex and Violet had covered with his mother. "Hello Michael, my name is Josh, this is Alex and Violet, and we're from the Lawrence Hunt Academy." He figured that it was best to leave the 'sub-title' out. It would hopefully put a more 'normal' spin on it by not specifically mentioning 'raging sub-human mutant', or any of its derivatives any more than necessary.

"It has recently come to the attention of Director Drumm that you are eligible for enrollment and a full scholarship." It was now that he changed his focus to both of them. "Naturally this scholarship would pay, completely for both the remainder of your High School and College education. They are both fully accredited and have the best student to teacher ratio in the Nation."

Hopefully they could win his mother over, primarily, with the 'elite private school and college' routine and not have to play the 'let us take this filthy mutant mongrel off of your hands' card any more than absolutely necessary.

The door opened up, since everyone seemed to be able to see right through Micheal's mother who was blocking their view (terribly it would seem). She crossed her arms and looked at her son with that look

(You all know the look... the look that tells you that she knows something that you know but you're not sure what it is you know that she wants to hear so all you can do is smile like an idiot and hope you guess correctly).

"Did you hear that Michael?" She asked, the irritation in her voice was obvious. "Lawrence Hunt Academy..."

"You know..."

"The school..."

"For mutants..."

For some reason the trio on the porch felt like it might be a good idea to say a prayer for Michael... in fact, he might need those A.E.G.I.S. guys to show up just to save him. His mom had that sort of aura to her that made even those on the porch feel like she had complete and total 'Mom authority' over them. Mutants in Times Square... giant robots chasing them down and killing them... the others got off easy, nothing could have prepared them for this woman.

"Full scholarship even..." She tapped her index finger gently against her bicep. "Is there something you might feel like sharing?"

Click to reveal..
She could go nuclear... I'd make sure Shard has the van warmed up...

Mike's mom opened the door removing the need to look over her and letting him see the others better. This wasn't good. What do they know? How do they know? An official greeting team? Lawrence Hunt Academy? Mutant High?

Mike looked from the three... mutants... to his mom and back again, at a loss on what to say. This wasn't the way he'd intended to step out of the closet. Actually he hadn't intended to step out at all. And his mom's reaction... of all the reasons to stay in the closet, somehow it hadn't occurred to him that she might be one of them. This could be really bad.

Starting to panic, Mike croaked out, "Now let's all calm down..."

Click to reveal..
Activate Sooth. 5 dice, first is mega. http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2461078/

5d10.hits(7) [6,8,4,9,5] = (2)

2 Sux for power activation.

Feeling better, Mike took a deep breath and added, "...Please. Mom, I've never seen any of these people before."

Although he wouldn't mind seeing a lot more of the girl.

"That's true, at least. I'm sure Michael had no more clue we were coming than you did, Mrs Christian." Alex said soberly, his good humour somewhat evaporated in the face of Mrs Christian's antipathy. Great. Can't even say 'How d'you do?' without them freaking out now. At least she didn't reach for a gun or a phone. Yet. The sour thought was swiftly followed by And I just referred to them as 'them'. Great. Hooray for my adaptation skills.

Still, at least the woman's mood had shifted to 'Freaks in the street!' to 'You're in trouble, young man'. Strange though it might be, that was an improvement all round.

"I'm going to be straight with you both." Sky-blue eyes regarded Michael gravely. "Yes we know, Michael. And we're not the only ones that know: we're just the friendly ones. You might want to talk to your mother, but there's more at stake here than a grounding-for-life." He switched his gaze to Mike's mother.

"Mrs Christian, I know what the press and the government says about mutants, but we..." he indicated himself, Josh, Violet and Shard with a slow sweep of his hand. "...aren't some heavy-mob. We're kids with gifts that we didn't ask for but have to live with and make the best of anyway." He smiled at her a little sadly. "That said, we really are here to help Michael."

Click to reveal..

Wits roll to resist Soothe.

1d10=6, 1d10=8, 1d10=9, 1d10=5

2 succs

Charisma & Rapport roll to try and 'reach' Momzilla.

1d10=3, 1d10=2, 1d10=2, 1d10=9, 1d10=8, 1d10=8, 1d10=9

4 succs (minus the freak factor) wink

Originally Posted By: Procyon
"I'm going to be straight with you both." Sky-blue eyes regarded Michael gravely. "Yes we know, Michael. And we're not the only ones that know: we're just the friendly ones. You might want to talk to your mother, but there's more at stake here than a grounding-for-life." He switched his gaze to Mike's mother.
Mike gave a-deer-in-headlights stare and gulped. It was like being in the 1950's and discovering high school students were discussing technical details on how to build an atomic bomb. He was saying that everyone knew.

"Don't you start that 'calm down' crap with me Michael!" Instinctively, fueled by a mothers worry and rage, she shook off the effects of Michael's mutant manipulations. It was obvious though that Michael didn't possess much in the way of moral fiber, having mentally juiced his own mother as his first course on how to handle a situation. She didn't notice, although Josh, Violet and Peter all detected that little 'something' in the back of their minds. "Why didn't you tell us!? What were you thinking!? Was it something we did, you father and I, that made you feel you couldn't share with us your problems?!"

Her gaze went to Alex (formerly known as Peter :)) and once she looked past the aura of sunlight and saw the young man on the other side she gave pause for a moment. They were 'just kids'. With a sigh she stepped back from her post at the door and no longer barred them entry. "You have ten minutes. Someone make some sense of all this."

Her Momzilla gaze fell on Michael. "Sit." Was all she managed to let slip through pursed lips.

Click to reveal..
Your puny Jedi Mind Tricks have no effect on Mamma the Hutt! On the up side she is not aware you tried anything. On the down side you might have to actually rely on some skill finesse during this scene. She's a bit to riled up (this is her son's future, after all) to be falling victim to all but true mental powers (i.e. Level 1 or higher) and she's done a good job of shaking those off too!

I'm thinking we need to recruit 'The Mom' too...

Looking unhappy Michael sat down on the stairs. Michael waited till the door was shut then looking at his feet he said guiltily, "Mom... I heal. Your migraines, Sis's complexion, Dad's new eye glass prescription, 9 inches in 12 months, that was all me."

Mike looked up to see how his Mom was taking it.

"And you said nothing." Her gaze could have pierced stone. "Why, Michael? Please tell me why I'm having to learn about this from complete strangers."

She seemed more angry than shocked and he was pretty sure after the initial bout of anger and frustration she'd become an emotional tsunami. She turned to face the trio who had all taken seats of their own on the couch, except for Josh, he brought his own. "And you're here to take him to some school? I don't my son at a school, I want him cured. Surely there is some gene therapy or something that can be done."

Cured?!

Therapy?!

What the hell? I'd almost forgotten how nuts people on the outside really are.

Despite the fact that she was seething inwardly at the woman's insult, Violet took a deep, slow breath to calm herself before she spoke. Only the set of her jaw and a faint trembling of her hands, clenched tightly in her lap, betrayed her anger.

"Mrs. Christian," she began, tilting her head up slightly to catch the older woman's attention. Her voice was tense, but even, and if the pale ivory of her knuckles was any indication of her true feelings, she was making an admirable effort to restrain herself.

"If someone told you that being born a Caucasian female was some fluke of genetics, and the very fact you existed was an insult to nature, to God, and to every other living human being on the planet, how would you feel about that? You didn't get a choice, you didn't decide to be born that way, and you know da-arned well there's nothing wrong with you, but every Tom, Dick, and Harry with a badge or a podium or a big, shiny religious icon says you need to be killed, imprisoned, or dropped into a 'medical facility' to be treated like a lab rat for the rest of your life. You don't need therapy, or a cure, or prayers, or voodoo, you need a chance to live a decent life, get an education, have a job, start a family- all the things your parents wanted for you, and you want for your son."

She paused for a moment to let that sink in, refusing to break eye contact.

"That's it. We've all got parents, we all had pretty normal lives, and for the most part, that's pretty much all we want now. I'm sixteen, Mrs. Christian, and the Academy is one of the few places left that's safe for me. Yeah. I'm supposed to be thinking about going to prom and where I'll go to college, if I'll join a sorority or not. Instead? I get to think about the people who aren't Director Drumm, the people who want me dead because I had the nerve to be born."

A faint hiss of air escaped through Violet's clenched teeth as she finally looked away, amethyst eyes glistening with unshed tears as she stared at the family portraits and candid photos on the walls. When she spoke again, her voice was softer, more subdued than before.

"There's nothing wrong with Michael. We've all got gifts, and at the Academy, we get a chance to learn to use them without hurting people, or ourselves. We get the chance to be with other kids like us, to figure out how to maybe make things better than they are now. We get the chance to have as much of a normal life as people like us can hope for right now, without a bunch of crazies trying to kill us or lock us up or cut us apart looking for some 'cure.' Come back with us if you don't believe me, and see for yourself."

Click to reveal.. (Social)

(21:54:06) ChatBot: (V.Vincent) rolls 4d10 and gets 2,6,10,8.

(21:54:11) ChatBot: (V.Vincent) rolls 1d10 and gets 1.

1 total success. (2 successes, at +1 difficulty.)

Everything that this woman said, no, everything this woman was was the embodiment of racism. Josh was usually a pretty 'live and let live' kind of guy, but when you had the personification of everything hateful towards himself and everything that had been done to him and his... well, Josh could only take so much. When this monster said that she would rather preform an unnecessary, experimental and dangerous surgery that would literally destroy an integral part of her own progeny, that was Josh's limit.

It was also what his parents had said on the other side of his hospital door.

What Violet said didn't calm him at all, she just said the essence of what he was going to... but better. Josh knew that he should keep his mouth shut, he knew that what he was about to do could ruin all their chances at a 'political' or a 'nice' resolution to this issue. He knew better...

...but he couldn't help himself.

"Mrs," he didn't call her 'ma'am', because that was a title of respect. He had none for her. He tried to keep his tone even and with a thin facade of civility, but he really felt like using his power to push her up against the wall and knock some sense into her. Luckily he had no intention of actually doing that. "Let me tell you my story, let me tell you why I'm in this wheelchair." Josh took a breath; the pause not so much to give her time to interrupt, but so that she could see from the look in his eyes that he wouldn't tolerate interruption. "Three years ago, less than a month from my 13th birthday, I was hit by a car. I was walking across a crosswalk and I was hit by a car. I was a normal boy doing what I was supposed to, but some jerk wasn't paying attention. That was when my gift activated and slung me several miles across town. It was because of those injuries that I can't walk anymore. When my parents found out that I was hurt, they rushed to the hospital. They hugged and kissed me in the ICU, telling me how glad they were that I was alive. They even started the ball rolling so they could sue the pants off of the jerk that hit me. Four days later, four days, they started their legal precedings, not to sue the jerk that hit me, but to legally get rid of me as their child. They asked the same question you just did; the answer is no.

Less than a week after I got put in ICU, while I was still in the ICU, my parents decided that I wasn't worthy to be their son. They got rid of me, their own flesh and blood, because of something that they gave me, something that wasn't my fault. Then, once they did that, the hospital found out that I didn't have any rights, since I was a stinking, filthy mutant, and they were about to take me out of ICU and put me directly on the side of the street.

My parents were such bigots and racists that they would rather kill me when I was literally and completely helpless than acknowledge my existence.

Are you ready to kill your son? He is what he is and nothing in this world is going to change that. We are here to give him a chance at as normal a life as is possible. Those that come after us, the agency that is on their way won't. They'll be here to medically study and eventually autopsy your son. He'll wish he could die, but they won't let him; it'll be a living hell until the end. High school biology class frogs will fare better than your son in the end."

Finished, Josh waited for a response, from Mrs. Christian and Michael, as well as from those he came with. His tense, slightly shaking body posture showed that he didn't regret anything that he'd said... but he would regret a negative response from the Mom.

Violet almost had her convinced, a good follow-up was all she needed until Josh lectured. She listened and visibly grew more and more irritated as Josh compared her to a racists and a bigots. "Well, I'm certainly sorry you had to go through that, Josh? Was it?" She finally said, mustering as much kindness as she could.

"The fact of the matter is though is that I'm not going to abandon Michael to anyone. Yes, he is what he is now but I'm still his mother and I still love him." She manage a slight grin when she looked at him, despite how furious she was at him. "All I want is what's best for my son's future. If I could cure him, I would. If there is no other options than, really, all I'd ask is that he'd be safe."

"Think of it from my perspective, there are purple and glowing people in my living room who apparently take offense at every word I utter. I feel like I'm the enemy here simply because I'm being cautious about the welfare of my own son. My son, not yours. I don't even know what to call you people, the media claims you've all taken monikers for yourself and here you are asking me to call you 'Josh' and 'Alex' and 'Violet'."

A gear shifted in her mind and she suddenly grew incredibly worried and she looked to Josh. "Wait, what agency?"

"We know that they're called AEGIS. What the acronym stands for I don't know, Mrs Christian." Alex replied to the besieged woman, his own manner considerably warmer after her statement of support for Michael. "We do know that they are off the books and therefore 'deniable', whoever they work for." The young Adonis leaned forwards with his elbows on his knees, hands clasped in front of him as he smiled at her.

"I'm sorry for our prickly reaction. We really are just young people like Mike here, and it shows." He grinned engagingly. "My own story is similar to Josh's, at least on the parental abandonment side. It's a common story at Lawrence Hunt. So I'm really glad that you're not like my parents, or Josh's, or any number of others, ma'am." Blue eyes the colour of gold-tinted summer skies met Mrs Christian's for a moment. "Thank you for that."

"Now..." Alex sat up as the moment passed, smiling reassuringly. "You are, of course, welcome to visit the school to see for yourself how it is run and what we do there. It's not dangerous... Well, no more dangerous than any other educational establishment." He gave her a sparkling grin. "And as for monikers... It's a little pointless for me to take on a secret identity. I can't imagine a pair of tights and a bandit mask will stop me from standing out in a lineup."

Not trusting himself to speak, Mike kept quiet and listened. He wanted to beg forgiveness and/or rage at fate, but an emotional break down wouldn't help anything.

I'd planned on never telling her. A son who is a big name doctor is something she can brag about to her friends. Wait... they know. This AEGIS 'treat-mutants-like-lab-rats' knows. How the heck does everyone know? I'm not getting funny looks at school and the football team let me beat up one of their own. I'd swear no one there knows. It could be Doc... but he doesn't know my name.

My Doc. Those wellness tests he did... no such thing as medical privacy?

Her words melted Josh's heart... a little. He still wasn't convinced that she wasn't racist against them, but at least if she was, she seemed to have a double standard when it came to Michael. Hopefully Michael would change her outlook on mutants and not the other way around. There was still that possibility, that she could turn into his parents, but the fact remained that she wasn't.

And that fact cooled his temper.

His tone was subdued. He still wasn't sorry for what he said, but he was sorry for how she felt she'd been treated, and he deeply regretted what he'd wanted to do to her (even though he knew he never would have). He'd never thought that she might be in a position even remotely like what he was in... at least emotionally. "Mrs. Christian, I'm sorry for the accusations that we've leveled against you. I apologize for comparing you to my parents. Even if there is no love lost between you and the rest of mutant-kind, we can at least see that you care deeply for your son. In that, at least, you are a far superior parent to what most children at Lawrence Hunt have. For that we are grateful.

As Violet and Alex have said, if you want to know more about us, you can come and visit. We have a website, with pictures and floor plans, and even a letter to prospective students from Director Drumm himself. Of course, no website can compare to seeing it with your own eyes. So please, come, allay your fears about letting Michael attend Lawrence Hunt Academy.

But I'll tell it to you straight. Know that if you don't accept this offer from us, and soon, AGEIS will be here, and they won't ask, much less ask nicely. We don't want to pressure or force your choice; we just want you to know the truth."

Having finished speaking, Josh scooted himself back in his seat. He'd said his piece, apologized, and was content to let Mrs. Christian, Alex, Violet and Michael hash out the rest of the details. Even with all of his recent activities, Prof. Jensen was right; he needed to work on his social skills.

• 4 weeks later...

She pondered for a moment, pacing back and forth as the students watched her. Michael's father, her husband, was away at work and as far as she could tell she had two choices: let him go to the Lawrence Hunt Academy or let AEGIS come and take him. She hated having to make these decisions, especially one that could effect her son's future.

Finally she spun about and looked to her son. "Michael," she stated calmly. "You've heard them, and this is your future. What do you want to do?"

Originally Posted By: Dave ST
Finally she spun about and looked to her son. "Michael," she stated calmly. "You've heard them, and this is your future. What do you want to do?"
Mike looked at Violet then he looked away to consider the question rationally.

After a moment Michael replied, "What I want to do is be normal, or better still, go back to the closet. If no one knows then what I do doesn't seem to be a big deal. I had it all planned out, just..." Michael looked at the future that might-have-been and smiled ruefully, "...just 10 more years. I've had made a brilliant doctor."

Michael sighed. That was over, somehow everyone knew, or would very soon. He could scream 'NO' in denial and run upstairs and hide under his bed, but somehow he didn't think that would help. He hadn't heard of this AEGIS but he knew the army or some alphabet agencies did anti-mutant stuff. Knowing the exact initials didn't change anything. It wasn't just them either, Coach would have to kick him off the team, he'd also be kicked out of school. The next step on that path was over the edge of a cliff.

He'd also heard of Lawrence Hunt, aka, 'Mutant High'. The big advantage was they wouldn't shoot him. If he was lucky they might even be able to train him to do his thing better.

Michael faced his future and said with regret, "Mom, I think I'd better go with them. I don't... I don't see any better options." frown

Archived