Aberrant: Mutant High - [OW] Not So Alone

z-The Morrigan

The footprints in the snow were silver-blue breadcrumbs in the snow, leading her into the night. These were the woods in which she had found and fought Kazuo. That fight was weighing on her mind as she picked her way carefully through the woods. While she knew that Kazuo wouldn't (probably) come crashing through the trees again and lie about swords, her memory still retained the terror and instincts of the moment.

So her steps were as silent as possible as she worked her way through the slumbering woods. She couldn't be completely silent; the snow squeaked under her feet and her clothing made soft noises.

Morri came to the edge of the woods and stopped. Sonja was sitting against a tree, looking sad. Morri moved into her line of sight and crouched, waiting. Now that she wasn't moving, it was very cold out here. Goosebumps rose on her skin, and she was shivering, just a bit. But still she waited, quiet and still. It looked like she just might wait forever.

Sonja sat against a tree, head tilted back and eyes closed, her coat still worn on her right arm and hanging off her left shoulder. Her wounded arm was held tightly to her chest, the coal black rings shrunken to craters the size of a skittle, the centers a crusty red. She shivered, though she didn't if it was the chill wind blowing across her mostly bare legs, or the lingering pain, physical or emotional.

I almost hit her! Really hit her. I could've...

It seemed lately, every time she tried to help, she just fucked-up, or stuck her foot in her mouth. With 'Neca, she been fucking up for years, but she just couldn't stop herself from trying to protect her. Now, with 'Neca's changes, she didn't know what she could actually do - well, she knew one thing, now - or what her limits were. Worst, 'Neca didn't know her own limits. If she had done what she did to someone else, she might have taken an arm off.

Any suggestion she made to her sister that she needed to learn control would be seen as condescending, probably, and received with bitchy comment to mind her own business and that she had put Sean Cassidy in a wheelchair for life when her attributes had really started to grow.. And Sonja wasn't even sure how to teach her control. She was stronger and faster than human, but she wasn't capable of doing things like most of the other students at LHA were. She had no idea how they activated their powers. Was is like flexing a muscle or relaxing one or something else entirely?

Sonja banged her head against the tree in frustration, the trunk vibrating with the force of the blow. There was a thump, as the limbs overhead dropped their load of snow. She opened her eyes with a tired sigh, looking around, surprised the snow hadn't landed on her.

Then she saw two points of red, glowing in the star filled night.

"Hi Morri. Looks like everything I do is bad. Sorry you came out here. I didn't mean to ruin your fun, dancing."

At the invite, Morri stepped forward, into the starlight that fell over head. It bathed her in silver, drawing color from her skin and clothes; only her eyes retained their full majesty.

"Need keep nose to self," Morri said, but it was stated without rancor or hostility. "Choose to come - no ruin my fun. Ruin L'vira's fun." The red orb narrowed to slits. "She punish mean, though. Bad person."

Morri moved to a low log and brushed the snow off of it. She attempted to balance on the log, but the heels of the boots kept messing her up. Comically, she kept at it, determined to find a good way to stand on the round object in four-inch heels. Her face was set in a moue of determination - and she had forgotten all about Sonja's warnings about her skirt.

Crunch crunch crunch... was the sound of Kia's footsteps in the snow, a little behind Morri.

"Sonja? Morri?" she called. Then she came trotting around the trees and shrubs, looking at the ground where she was following Morri's tracks in the snow.

When she looked up, she broke into a relieved smile and came towards the two.

"Are you guys okay?"

Originally Posted By: Morri
"Need keep nose to self,"

"I know that, Morri, but I can't help myself. Elvira - Oneca! 'Neca I mean - she's my sister!" Sonja said with mounting frustration, then sighed at Morri's narrow eyed accusation. "She's not really a bad person, she's just... her, and new to what she can do. I really don't think she knew how much what she did would hurt. I hope."

The leggy Valkyrie gracefully flowed to her feat, and leaned against the tree, the chill having started numbing her ass. "I think I'm done with the party, Morri, I've caused enough trouble there. I don't V will want to see-"

Crunch, crunch, crunch...

Sonja cut off as she heard the crunching snow, Kia's tiny form resolving in the moonlit dark. Hastily, she stuff her injured arm back into the sleeve of her coat, stifling a wince as the shrinking pock marks slid against the fabric.

"Kia!" Sonja exclaimed with mock severity, "You should have stayed at the party. You didn't have to follow me out here to see me feelin' sorry for myself."

Sonja glanced at the determined Morri, lips curving slightly with a soft smile at her antics."Morri, please, recall what I told you about wearing a skirt?" she reminded her, then assured Kia, "Really, I'm fine, it's just... Do either of you have any siblings - brothers or sisters?" finishing with her question for both of the other girls.

"Oh." Kia paused at the momentary awkwardness. Sonja standing there with an arm behind her back and the slightly too-bright cheerfulness of someone who had just been doing something wrong...and Morri balancing on the log with her skirt riding up rather blatantly.

"Uh...no, I don't," she admitted. Then she tried to plead her case. "I didn't mean to interrupt or anything. It's just, at the party I smelled smoke, and you went running out, and everyone was talking like you were hurt."

Sonja sighed, then forced a nonchalant smile on her face, though Kia could still see a tightness around her exquisite indigo eyes and her left hand was fisted at her side, the arm held rigidly.

Sonja tugged Morri's skirt down back to a modest level, then faced Kia. "You're not interrupting anything, Kia. I just had to get out of there before... " I decided 'Neca needed a slap. Sigh. I don't want her to start with the reputation that if you piss her off, she'll burn ya, "... I did something else stupid. As it is, Violet is already probably gonna be pissed that I had not one, but two altercations tonight."

Sonja glided back to her tree, having no difficulty despite the snow and hidden brush, and leaned against it, her eyes back on the starry sky.

"Ah, sisters. I wasn't hurt so much as surprised," Sonja fudged. "I hadn't expected what she would do when I plucked her away from thst Revenant guy." The almost impossibly gorgeous teen chuckled ruefully. "I guess everyone is right - I can care too much. But it's so hard to let go, after-"

Sonja stopped abruptly, her gaze dropping down to Kia with narrowed eyes, almost as if she was suspicious of her trying to pry secrets out of her, but her expression softened so quickly, Kia might have imagined it.

"Thanks for your concern though, Kia, seriously. It's just, I think I'm gonna skip the rest of the party. I already ruined Morri's dancing once, and I could have handled my sister in a better way, I guess."

"You're entirely too tense and worked up over this," Kia decides. "If you ask me, the party's exactly what you need. Only..." she grins, "...you need to actually party, you know? From what I've heard, you've been so wrapped up in what people around you are doing, you've completely forgotten to have fun yourself."

The little Hawaiian girl trotted over and offered Sonja her hand.

"Come on back with me. I met a really nice guy with like...a scar over one eye? And there was another guy named Jor who's kind of a dweeb, but he's pretty good at dancing. Or there's a room FULL of guys. Just pick one and dance and talk and have fun! I promise you, cross my heart, the world will still be here tomorrow if you take your eyes off everyone else just for a night."

"It's not the easy. Ever since my sister tried..." Sonja sighed, her breath a silvery grey plume, almost luminescent in the moonlight, then her strong, elegant jaw firmed in resolve. "You know what? Screw it! Just 'cause 'Neca is coming here now, doesn't mean I have to spend all my time worrying about her, right?"

The amazonian sophomore accepted the tiny freshman's hand and let herself be pulled away from the tree. Sonja, towering over the other girl by more than a foot, smiled down at the grinning Kia, looking lively and adorable and couldn't help it. Sonja chuckled warmly, ruffling Kia's hair with strong, agile fingers.

"How is it that you're talking me into going back to a party that I invited you to? Just give me a moment, and we'll go back."

Shaking her head at the oddity of the night, Sonja slipped off her jacket, revealing the mismatched sleeves of her dress. Using her inhumanly strong fingers, she smoothly tore the sleeves off at the seams at the shoulder, making them even. There were a few small, loose threads, which she picked as best she could, but they weren't really that noticeable. Besides, her other attributes would be garnering most of the attention anyway.

"There we go, that's better," she said, slinging her coat back on. "Time to go back, Morri, and no more ruining fun, I promise."

Sonja put an around the shoulders of each of the girls and led them back to the boathouse, indigo eyes twinkling with her wry smile. "A nice guy with a scar over the eye, you say? I think we've met."

The three girls made it back to the party without any difficulty, most of the male heads turning their way when they entered, as they realized the female hotness quotient just got a big boost. If any of them even noticed Sonja's altered dress, they had the good sense not to say anything.

Sonja's lips tightened when she found her sister and Revenant gone, but with a pleading look from Kia and a direct one from Morri, she shrugged the tenseness from her shoulders. She gave them a nod, got herself a drink of whatever was left and alcoholic, and presented herself to Violet, offering her sincere apologies for her actions and resolved to accept whatever reprimand her purple-haired friend decided to give her.

Then she proceeded to tear the dance floor up. She may not have had a lot of skill, but Sonja did possess an inhuman grace, some spectacular curves to bounce and sway, and a reason to force herself to relax. Some boys who shared the dance floor with her got closer to the voluptuous amazon than they ever expected to, though any wandering hands were still swiftly corralled by a crushing grip. Sonja may have relaxed, but only to a degree.

Still, with the help of several more drinks and the pleasant exertion of dancing, Sonja was able to push any worries or concerns aside, at least for the night. There was a brightness to her cheeks and eyes, and she realized, she really was having fun.

When the clock struck midnight, with the erupting of a dazzling display of fireworks, one lucky person - or unlucky, depending on how they saw it - was wrapped tightly in Sonja's inexorable, yet gentle, embrace and received a remarkably ardent kiss. The fortunate recipient was barely aware of the fireworks, or at least, the ones in the sky.

Click to reveal.. (OOC)
Feel free for either the two others in this thread, or someone in the Oil & Water Thread to determine who Sonja actually kissed. Thought it'd be more amusing if I didn't know who received it, and I wasn't sure who was willing to suffer it, willing or unwilling. laugh

Several hours later, with the majority of the students exhausted, passed out, gone, or some combination of all three, Sonja, Morri, and Kia finally decided to call it a night - or an early morning, rather. Sonja's steps somehow managed to be both graceful and unsteady, resulting in an intriguing perambulation, even as she stubbornly refused any of Kia's solicitous aid.

The trio decided - Sonja thought they had decided, it might have just happened - to stop by Kia's dorm room first, as it was the closest, at least by the route they took. Sonja was simply grateful for the wall - it helped her navigate the infernally elusive ground.

Some mutants had really strange powers, y'know?

Morri enjoyed returning to the party. Sonja was as good as her word and didn't put her nose into anyone's fun again. And Morri was careful not to dance with her; she was still being punished. She looked forward to the next dance though, where she could dance with her friend again.

During her brief forays from the dance floor to get food and drink, Morri considered her friend's reactions. She understood that Sonja thought it was right at the time, but saw it as bad later. Or did she? Morri was often told something was bad, but she didn't know or believe it. Maybe Sonja was the same way.

That was a revelation to the young feral. Other people didn't always understand what was right either! That was shocking to her; she'd thought that others just knew what was right.

It gave her something to think about as she followed the other girls to Kia's room. She was concerned about Sonja; she kept stumbling, but insisted she was just 'drunk'. Morri wasn't sure what that meant; she had had a lot more to drink than Morri had, certainly. The feral had thought most of the drinks there smelled bad, like chemicals. At several points in the evening, she'd stepped outside, cut a hole in the ice and had fresh, cold water. She wondered if the drinks had made Sonja sick.

"This room?" she asked Kia, pointing at a door that might be hers. There were two words on it, and one started with a K. She was totally guessing, of course.

"Yep!" Kia chirped happily. She seemed completely unaffected by the drinks she'd imbibed...even after she'd succumbed to peer pressure and switched to alcohol. For such a small person, she'd had quite a lot, but wasn't even swaying from it.

As she dug her keys out of her pocket she confided, "We should probably hold the noise down, cuz I have a roomie. She keeps weird hours though...all this time and I still haven't met her. Still, she might be in, so..."

The lock opened with as quiet a 'khchunk' as Kia could manage, and she opened the door proudly. "And here we are."

That's when she saw who was in her roommate's bed...and her eyes widened in a moment of embarrassment and panic...

(Continued in Aftershocks)

Archived