Aberrant: Mutant High - Homesick

SalmonMax

Jor shook the offered hand and it was a strong grip. Without Revanant and Kuzuo around he looked pretty imposing, but where the other two looked all broody and dark, Jor looked companionable and less outright intimidating by comparison. "Jor, nice to meet ya."

He started in on his food with a vengeance but not without all table manners.

"Oh, LA isn't that bad," Sonja said with her own grin, really wishing Alex wouldn't smile at her like that - it was making her feel much too warm. "But that might be just because I grew up there. Movie stars and supermodels get pretty boring when you see them every day on the street. The neighbors really aren't that bad. When they throw a party, it's their guests you have to watch out for."

Sonja's eyes twinkled with mirth. "The Playboy Mansion can get pretty wild, certain times of the year. It over just a street from our place."

The azure pools of his eyes glimmered with their own mixture of flirtation and laughter. "Really? I'd imagine with a pair of binoculars and time to kill that someone capable of, say, flying would be able to pick up quite an education." Alex chuckled then, shaking his head as though to derail his train of thought.

He glanced at Morri, wondering what the deal was with her. The red eyes were still fixed on his face as she chewed on her food, but she seemed more intent on just watching him than actually harboring hostile thoughts. He almost asked her about Africa, but he doubted the question would do more than confuse the poor girl. Or possibly anger her: who could tell? Either way, it was best avoided.

"So Morri. Apart from jerks and liars..." he made a dismissive gesture with one hand off to the side, as if to indicate that jerk and liars were not worthy of consideration. "...do you like it here?"

Kia looked at Morri as well, very curious to know the answer to that herself. For her own part, she liked the school already and she hadn't even started classes yet. The snow was a bit inconvenient...but she was sure she'd work out a way to be comfortable in it. There were always ways.

But what would someone like Morri like?

Morri stopped chewing; after a moment she swallowed. Her eyes didn't leave Alex as she considered his question.

She wasn't being chased by mutants; she didn't have to kill anyone; she had all the food she could eat. She was always cold and confused; she was surrounded by mutants who could kill her; this place was familiar and strange at the same time.

"Yes. No," she said, feeling for the first time the limits of her vocabulary. Unable to state more, she returned to her food, her movements harsher than normal.

"Well there you go, as direct a statement of mixed feelings as I've ever heard." He grinned. "Can't say I blame you. This place takes some getting used to. I think for the most part I like it though. It sure beats the alternatives by a long shot. That's for sure."

Sonja nodded at Jor, grinning in agreement. "It was quite an adjustment from school in LA when I ended coming here, but it grows on you fast." Her grin turned more consoling when she looked at Morri. "It'll get better Morri, I promise."

Sonja was silent for a while as she continued devouring her high piled plate, looking around at all the new faces at the table. Taking a long sip of her drink, she gestured around the table. "Since you guys are all new, and I don't know how much you've been shown, would you like a tour of the campus?"

"Sounds wonderful." Alex smiled at Sonja as he ate. "I've been here almost 36 hours so far, and I've seen little of the place."

He shrugged, a wry grin quirking his lips. "As for adjustments, I came here from a single-sex place, which I'd been attending since I was nine. Bit of a change coming here. Feels like I'm emerging from a cave and blinking at all the pretty scenery." He said with a hint of mischief in his glance as he looked at the three girls opposite him.

"Things have certainly brightened with your arrival, Alex," Sonja tossed back, the impish quirk to her lips distorted by her biting into the last morsel of beef on her plate, shifting in a unconsciously practiced manner designed to subtly emphasize her most prominent attributes. He's not the only gorgeous guy at LHA, there's... there's... Damn it! There's more, there is! That glow is intriguing distracting... I wonder if you can sun-tan... Stop!

Taking a sip of her pop, Sonja glanced around the table. Kia was just moving stuff around and Morri was staring almost mournfully at her plate. With a smile, she noted the boys were paying more attention to their table companions then their meals.

"Guess we're done. Time to throw out the trash and get the tour started. We can come back later Morri." Sonja got up and walked over to the trash bins, then led the way to the main doors, walking backwards and gesturing them to follow like a tour guide.

"We're walking... we're walking... and stop. This is the Cafeteria, used by all the school kids from kindergarten to seniors, not to be mixed up with the CollegeCafe, used appropriately enough by the college students. This place was the scene of the Jello Enfilade of 2008. I am sorry to say that the high schoolers did not acquit themselves well - the elementary kids fought like rabid pygmies and won that terrible day. Was Drumm ever pissed, Jello was off the menu for three months!"

Sonja turned and threw open the main doors (gently - she didn't want to be sent to Ms. Childs again) and led her newbie flock outside, having no problems walking backwards in the snow.

"I think we'll skip the dormitories for now, and move on to the sporting facilities. We're walking... we're walking..."

Kia followed along, snatching up her coat from the back of her chair and shrugging into it as they got to the door out of the cafeteria. Sonja's performance got a wry smile out of her...she was very well acquainted with the antics of tour guides.

Once outside she kept Sonja in the corner of her eyes, but spent a lot of time looking around too. The school was pretty in the snow, even if she didn't much care for the cold of it...

Alex likewise rose, waiting for the others to start moving before falling into step. He chuckled a little at Sonja's tour-guide spiel, rolling his eyes with the others, but smiled at the tall blonde as they set off again for the Great Outdoors.

He noticed Kia tugging at the sleeves of her coat to make sure the garment covered as much of her hands as possible, and with scarcely a thought fell in next to her, walking close enough that the haze of his aura stole the worst of the cold from the Hawaiian girl. When she looked up at him, he gave her a small smile without saying anything, then went back to looking around as they walked, listening intently as Sonja pointed out areas of interest.

Archived