Mutants & Masterminds: StarGate Freedom - The Resistance HQ -- OOC Talk

z-Servant of Ra

Originally Posted By: Krul
I'm not really a fan of changing characters in the game, unless it's due to something fairly permanent happening to them, like dying, ascending, or becoming a Goa’uld

I would, under this system, try to arrange for people's characters to be changed into whatever they wanted to become through whatever transformation needed. The next preference would be a heroic death, with the last being some kind of retirement. All of these would be done without the loss in xp I've mentioned before.

So far most people like the idea, with exceptions, which comes back (roughly) to where we were before, save that a few people have changed their concepts through discussion. I think I've tipped back the balance to Taur'i (with people liking the new concepts more than what they had originally proposed - if I'm wrong, please let me know).

There are only 3 left as possible aliens (yes, including the Tok'ra), out of ten or eleven of you. How do the other 7 or 8 feel about this? Ok? Feeling like you agreed to play by the rules but gyped because other people are proposing aliens and getting away with it? I am trying to defuse any hard feelings before they possibly become nasty feelings, with all the added unpleasantness that erupts from that. So talk to me, peoples. laugh

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm good with it. I'm not ending up with what I had originally wanted, but after talking with Carver and brainstorming, it will be an interesting character and likely have a lot more depth than the original character idea. Of course I will be a formerly blended character, but from Earth.

Well clearly I'd be happier being able to keep this interesting and more than a little bizarre concept I thought up.

That said however I am, above all else, very interested in maintaining player happiness and a feeling of equity. If it comes down to it I'll either invent something else or step aside if I'm not able.

One of the things that was going to eat up a ton of my time from now until the end of October is gone. Freedom *may* start earlier, like as soon as I feel like it. Perhaps as soon as after my birthday (Oct 18th). I'm sure you guys wouldn't mind starting sooner?

If so I'll need to fix some minor issues, but we could start the prologues, at least for those with PCs.

For those of you who want to be in the first round of the game, please have your sheets to me by Sunday, October 18. If you can't make that deadline, it's cool, just going to mean your story will be more 'cramped' since some of the early stuff will get brushed over.

Those who are approved can start to put up their first post; title it with your PC's name and then describe what your character is doing before and around 8:15 GMT (Zulu Time). Use the Greenwich Meantime Site if you're not sure what your local time would be. Colorado is GMT -6, for example, which is 2:15 pm MST.

Some of you, such as those in the SG program or stationed at Cheyenne, will have some of your day dictated to you. Just ask me if you think that's the case. Those of you like Shawn and Yseult, just set up what you're doing that at that time. After they're up and I roll the game, I'll reply and we'll start the back and forth.

At this time, the only PCs who are starting together are Fox's and Jameson's PCs. If you want to start with someone you have a tie with, let me know and we can make arrangements.

Any questions, shout them out.

OK, some changes:

Haven't heard from Shawn in a couple of days, but I'm moving him forward with Lori.

Ryan and Curtis are in the same thread, since they're right in the heart of this mess.

Bethany and Nari, please contact me about how to handle your threads (do you want to still be linked to start?).

Other than that, we're rolling.

From Welcome to the Resistance

Quote:
What IDing information do you mean?

Identifying information is: height, weight, hair color, eye color, high (16+) physical stats, high (16+) Charisma and ranks of Attractive. In addition, notes about your character's appearance and ethnicity are appropriate here. These are really, really, really handy for the other players to help them 'see' your character. If you absolutely can't put them in your sig, then you should amend them to the end of each post.

Originally Posted By: Bethany DeCoursey
I update my profile and I have a question: what synergies are being used, should they be accounted for on our character sheet anywhere, and are you using any homebrew synergies?

Suggest to me the synergies you think are appropriate. As I approve them, I'll note them in a resource post I'll stick somewhere (how very organized of me, no? wink ). I'm going to try not to go crazy with these, but am willing to consider them.

Originally Posted By: Jono
Bah, its just wrong that the Unas is more likable than Jono. grin

He's got the child-like cuteness working for him. Ladies love a man they can baby. laugh

Hah, Ladies love a man they can baby... right up until the bad boy walks past ignoring them. Then you could pry their attention away with a crow bar. wink

(I suppose for fairness sake that I should add that this isn't true of all women, but it is true of enough that it has become a cliche, one I've personally witness a time or two from both perspectives, the guy ignored and the bad boy.) :P

Rorx, thank you! I know how much you hate multi-accounts; I appreciate your effort.

Also, just as a note, I'm not going to be calling for a lot of rolls in the Prologue. I will call for them in cases where it's necessary for the story. I'd rather everyone get a feel for their character and immerse themselves in the story of being on the wrong end of an alien invasion. Rolls will be used much more heavily after the prologues.

• 2 months later...

Carver, a couple of notes on the combat

1) Bruised and injured do not stack (pg 164) so after the first failed save Kor was at -1 to both lethal and non-lethal damage, if he still fails the 2nd he woud then be at -2

2) Per the grappling rules (pg 156-157) first you must make a grab attempt and then you make a grapple check. Improved Grab uses the attack roll as the grab roll and a grapple check would still be needed. In this case the unconscious and dying Jaffa would auto fail and Kor would have him in a grapple for next round.

Bruised and injured do stack; first paragraph "Characters can have any number of bruised or injured marks..."

When you fail a Lethal Toughness save, you get a Bruised and Injured (see Lethal Damage chart on page 163 and the text just above the table).

Last paragraph on page 164 says that "Each injured condition imposes a -1 penalty on further Toughness saves against lethal damage." Hence, -2, one for the Bruising and one for the Injured. One only works on lethal and the other on non-lethal, did you mean that?

On the Grappling, you're right, I misread that.

The penalties on your injuries stand until you find me the exact text that refutes what I quoted above. I read all of page 164 and didn't see anything that did. Because M&M is so complex, if I messed up a rule, it's best to direct me exactly to the paragraph that best supports your argument.

p 164

Quote:
Bruised means the character has been battered and bruised and is in less than top condition. Each bruised condition imposes a –1 penalty on further Toughness saves against nonlethal damage

Injured means the character has suffered some minor injury. Each injured condition imposes a –1 penalty on further Toughness saves against lethal damage.

You stand corrected. So yes, you get both, but they work separately.

No, I said that right. Yes the first attack dealt to Kor did Bruised and Injured, but against all of the remaining attacks, as they're lethal, the Injured x1 is the only applicable penalty. If it were nonlethal, the Bruised x1 would apply instead. Either way, the penalty for the other attacks were -1 and now minus -2, assuming the difference is enough to soak the remained attacks.

Originally Posted By: Curtis Shane
You stand corrected. So yes, you get both, but they work separately.

Jer, if you don't stop using rude phrasing when dealing with me OOC, I'm going to reach through the computer and punk you. Since I can't do that, you're just going to piss me off, which is not helpful to anyone.

Also, don't edit your posts after someone has replied to them. It's rude and assish. Create another reply responding to what they have posted.

I have little (read that as 'no') patience for rude, abrasive people. It's all been sucked away already. If you can't talk to me in a polite manner OOC, you can't talk to me at all, and that will make your presence in my game impossible.

Fix your attitude.

Originally Posted By: Dawn, OOC

Jer, if you don't stop using rude phrasing when dealing with me OOC, I'm going to reach through the computer and punk you. Since I can't do that, you're just going to piss me off, which is not helpful to anyone.

Also, don't edit your posts after someone has replied to them. It's rude and assish. Create another reply responding to what they have posted.

I have little (read that as 'no') patience for rude, abrasive people. It's all been sucked away already. If you can't talk to me in a polite manner OOC, you can't talk to me at all, and that will make your presence in my game impossible.

Fix your attitude.

Punk me? So you like to challenge people to matches of... grin

Well, anyway, sorry about that. Bad phrasing. My point stands that I think I've answered your question. I've posted another response to try to explain things further. If not? Well, I surely should never become a teacher then.

Well, anyway, sorry about that. Bad phrasing. My point stands that I think I've answered your question. I've posted another response to try to explain things further. If not? Well, I surely should never become a teacher then.

Thanks for the apology. Just as a note, we're not your students, and talking to us like we are is likely to get reactions like today. I'm not trying to pick on you - I'd just like you to see what I find to be rude and difficult to deal with. Hopefully, we can keep communication open and work it out.

And btw, the Kor/Curtis prologue has the wrong Icon, just fyi.

Thanks, that'll be fixed. I'd appreciate it if people remember to make individual posts with the right icon too, but don't require it.

Originally Posted By: Dawn, OOC
Thanks, that'll be fixed. I'd appreciate it if people remember to make individual posts with the right icon too, but don't require it.

This would be much simpler if it defaulted to the tag of the post you were replying to, I'll ask Chosen about this.

Edit: I had asked this previously and Chosen said he was working on it.

Archived