Mutants & Masterminds: StarGate Freedom - The Resistance HQ -- OOC Talk

z-Servant of Ra

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm interested in that...either Tok'ra or former host...

Still juggling ideas for story and background. I have this vague idea for a member from the original Abydos team encountering the Tok'ra and eventually getting back to Earth, but it's all still very nebulous...

I'm rebooting Yseult, obviously, though this time she hasn't been whammied by any Alien Artifacts (yet). Still French-Canadian, extremely intelligent, and a very adept doctor/scientist.

Not sure yet if she has any affiliation with the nascent SGC, depends on what is needed for the story I guess. She still has her husband and two children - or maybe had, depending on what happens in the prologue.

I'm fully amendable to modifying some background details if it help with any character connections, if anyone else is interested.

P.S., I don't think this Yseult will look like Dichen Lachman (sonce they haven't found Ma'Chello's Mind Switching Device... yet), so I'll probably end up with yet another account. laugh

I'm going to ask a question, and please don't anyone take this as me being grumpy, but a genuine inquiry.

Did I misjudge what people would find to be fun? Should I just make this a symbiote and/or other alien game? I ask, because out of ten or so interested parties, only 3 people have shown any interest in playing a Taur'i (though one alien request started as a joke, yes, you know who you are wink ). And given that it's about the liberation of Earth and the destruction of Ra, I thought that being an Earthling would be a large part of that. Are people not interested in playing a normal person?

Again, I'm not upset. I'm trying to determine what people want in a game, because if you're not playing a game you're going to enjoy, it probably won't be as much fun. And the game should be fun for you. So speak up. I need to know.

I'd like to play both. I don't know if the option is available to play multiple characters, but I have my original character concept that I pitched to you (a Tok'ra host) and some ideas for 'nilla humans to play.

I think that part of the rush to play the aliens is that is wasn't really an option in Fox's game and so people are psyched about the idea of getting to play one in this game. So, you've got a run on aliens and symbiotes and a dearth of humans. I love your basic concept for the game and don't really want to see that changed in favor of a more alien-focused storyline, personally. Letting multiple characters for those that want it and some incentive (story or mechanic) for playing not-a-host/alien would probably get a better game balance.

I'm also thinking that Earth would be a very big deal to the Tok'ra. We haven't really seen much by way of large civilizations on any other world out there. Maybe a few in the millions, but Earth has Billion's of people and before the first rebellion it was a major feather in Ra's cap. He used the planet to dole out hosts to other system lords. Now we're a planet of billions with technology too advanced to be tricked into thinking the Gou'ald are gods. That's got to appeal to the aliens types.

I admit the idea of playing a Tok'ra host drew me in, partly because I didn't have a fully formed concept, and I liked the idea of being someone who has been changed by a symbiont, I'm not bound to that particular idea.

Meh to the multiple characters. It seems like we already have at least 10 people interested in the game, if only half of them make extra characters, it's that much more work for Dawn to involve them all in story arcs. I'd rather have it a bit more focused and intimate, and end up with better quality (not saying anyone with multiple characters would stint in their quality of course).

My only character idea is a pure human and not planning on ever being a goa'uld/Tok'ra host, so I don't need an incentive to play one.

On the other hand, if Dawn wants to try to influence people to play humans, instead of giving them a bonus, she could give aliens a penalty - maybe they have to pay a few PP (a variant of the Benefit feat) to play an alien, or rather quickly include in-game reasons why being symbioted is a detriment (some sort of gas only affecting them, some modified technology that doesn't work for them, they can be more easily detected by certain scanners, etc).

Another note, I'm not sure if the goa'uld devices should get the full price break of being devices since they can only be used by a limited group of people (I think Ultimate Power has a power feat that can apply to devices if they are limited to who can use them, which in effect would raise the PP cost by a point).

Well, I don't think Tok'ra/former hosts are going to be able to have the ATA merit, so there's one thing that humans can take that they can't.

There is a poison gas that only effects symbiotes that was perfected by the Tok'ra later in the SG1 series.

Goa'ulds (including Tok'ra) can sense each other, Jaffa, and former hosts by the concentration of naquadah in their bloodstream, though they have to be in very close quarters (touching or near-so) to do it.

The thing on the devices is an interesting idea, especially given the prevalence of Goa'uld tech in comparison to Ancient tech.

There is a feat for devices called "Restricted" 1 rank makes it work for a narrow group and 2 ranks limits it to a single person. Both Go'uld and Ancient tech with restrictions should probably look at having a rank in that. Having Naquadah or the ATA gene of course costs whatever Dawn says it costs so that is probably more of a limit then a single extra point on a device.

Originally Posted By: Ultimate Power Page 146
Restricted:

Only certain people can use your Device. It might only work for members of a particular bloodline, people with extraordinary (20+) Strength or Wisdom, only women, and so forth. For everyone else, the Device has no powers at all. If you apply this feat twice, only you—and no one else—can use your Device. It can be taken away, but not used against you. With three ranks of Restricted, only a limited group can even lift your Device (which may require extraordinary strength or some other quality) and only you can properly use it.

Likewise there is a flaw in W&W that might be useful as it requires a skill check to use the device in question. Its normally used for sorcerer devices but it could apply to Ancient and Gould Tech:

Originally Posted By: Warriors & Warlocks page 79
Mystic Knowledge:

Activating this device is no simple matter. Each time you try to use it, you must make a Knowledge (arcane lore) check with a DC equal to the device’s highest ranked power + 10. This check is a free action and if you fail you can choose to do something other than activate the device; the device simply fails to function for you this round. You can retry the check each round until you succeed. Some magical items require a trained wizard to unlock their secrets, while others activate only with a proper command word or some symbolic action. The check might represent an attempt to complete a short ritual or some other action to bring the device to life.

Just swap the magic references with the appropriate Knowledge skill ...

Of course the flaw would actually make the tech cheaper so that might not be a wise choice in this game where the tech should be rare and/or expensive.

Seems so. I'm looking at a former Gou'ald host, much along the lines of Vala, but with a soft spot for the T'auri. Assuming it's approved of course. The host could have originally been from Earth, I'm ok with that.

Oh, and for the record, playing an alien in my SG game was and is an option. It's just not all that attractive of an option when the alternative is to play a nova, and not surprisingly no one chose to do so. wink

From the large interest in Tok'ra that were coming though, it looked like most of the players still wanted the host to be Taur'i, so I'd say people are wanting to play humans and aliens with both sides focused on Earth for their own respective reasons.

For the record, too, in defense of those of us interested in playing former hosts/Tok'ra, most of the ideas I've heard for the characters are Taur'i that somehow ended up Blended or hosted and rescued.

So....we want both. Aliens or alien advantages (for the former hosts) and Taur'i humans.

Guys, let's not make this a judgment thing, and if my post was taken that way, I'm sorry. Everyone has a reason for playing what they want to play, and it's not really constructive to question those choices. So, let's focus on the cooperative aspect of working these issues out.

I need to know what you guys want. I have an alternate suggestion. I have two phases for the game planned; the part on Earth, which will end at some point, and a longer phase off Earth. Sticking with the single character idea, we have everyone playing humans to start. We have a single Tok'ra; I play the Tok'ra symbiote, including taking over that PC when the Tok'ra is up.

Because there's the desire to play aliens, once we leave Earth, people can switch out or have their PCs altered to be alien (this can happen so many ways, and can be discussed as the time draws near). We have the option for more Tok'ra, Jaffa - given the breadth of SG-mythos, we can do pretty much anything.

As an option, what do people think?

I'm really not hip on the idea of switching out characters partway through the game. I'd definitely prefer to create one solid character and stick with him even if it meant sacrificing my first choice on character.

That said, if you want to have us all be Earthlings then we can definitely do that. I can adjust my background for it and I'm sure you can come up with some way to have him blended then rescued along the way during the game.

If we're going to do that however, why don't we just make it a rule that everyone starts the game non-blended on Earth and go from there. (except for the one Tok'ra of course)

Archived