Aberrant: Stargate Universe - [Mission SG22]: P3X-559 second visit

Mr Fox

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

*Alright....can you give me some thoughts of what surrounded the time when your memory was taken? Not the time of the memories themselves, just whatever led up to the loss?*

She sat down on a dead tree a few feet off the path, her eyes staring out down the road. So engrossed was she in this puzzle Vinny had put before her that she hadn't thought to say anything out loud to him or to look at him when he walked over.

*If you don't remember what you lost so much you don't even know where to start looking for it, then that's going to be the best place to start. Also, knowing what happened at all, even just a little detail, might help me figure out if there's anything I can do.*

Click to reveal..
Kyria digging about in Vinny's memories: 2 suxx to start with.

1d10=5, 1d10=9, 1d10=1, 1d10=2, 1d10=7

Vinny followed her to the log, dredging up his past mentally for her to look at.

Click to reveal.. (Fair Trade)
"That it? That's the one you want?"

"The experience is unlike any we have on file," replies the alien. "But perhaps you wish to retain it? Shall I continue the process in search of a different memory?"

"No, it's just that..." Vinny feels that he's going to start crying any minute. He decides not to cry because he doesn't think he'd be able to stop afterwards. "I...that's..." He stops, takes a deep breath, and continues with more gravity and composure. If not clearly wracked with emotional turmoil. "You're welcome to it if that's what you want in exchange for my team. I assume safe passage back to the Gate is part of the deal."

"Of course," the alien waves a solicitous tentacle. Vinny doesn't realize that the procedure is over until a trickle of fine dust escapes his left ear and he realizes that it is the remains of the extraction device.

Shivering at the memory of dealing with the slimy creature he continued, recalling the story that at one time had been his past.

Click to reveal.. (2H2H)
When Vinny woke up in the morning, she was still there, her warm breath rolling over his shoulder in an even, steady rhythm.

Mark that one off the Small World list, Vin.

He was pleasantly surprised to find her still here, or maybe his internal clock woke him up earlier than her normal time. Whatever the reason, he needed to get up, his bladder was screaming at him, his muscles were dying to stretch and a glance at the clock confirmed that it was indeed time to get ready.

The work he had left last night needed done this morning before work could start, let alone the normal morning retinue of planning. Carefully pulling back the sheets on his side and slipping out of bed, he walked to the bathroom, limping on a strained calf muscle and scratching his ass as he went. The sound of the pipes banging were soon followed by the rush of water running in the shower.

"You know, we're in a desert here, and I have to shower too. Might as well save some water."

Vinny opened his eyes, surprised, when he heard her stepping into the tub. "Morning darlin', come on in, the water's warm." He was obviously happy to see her, in more ways that one.

She's fuckin' sober and still here? Maybe the shit ain't done? How much fuckin' revenge on Fuzz does she want?

He leaned in to kiss her as wrapped his arms around her. "Last night was the fuckin' shit."

Better not be like the bitch Aussie and ask for light duty.

"Last night was fun," Liv agreed easily, hugging him and returning the kiss.

She stared off like that, absolutely silent, for nearly ten minutes. She was shifting through his memories, feeling out the edges of the hole in his mind and searching for something to lead her into it. As she worked, images and sounds flicked at the edges of his consciousness.

Click to reveal.. (2H2H)

He leaned against the crate, "If you'd like to see just how adventurous I can be, stop by my house tonite, I have cold beer and a warm bed."

"But first," He said standing up and grabbing his clipboard from the ground where it had fallen in his mirth. "Do believe we have some MSDS shit to go over."

Her slap never landed. The kid caught her wrist, holding it with a rough hand used to manipulating harder materials than her soft arm. “Save it for tonight, darlin’” he drawled, his cigar bobbing as he grinned. “I like it rough.”

“I’d rather fuck a scorpion,” she hissed, pulling against his grip. He didn’t let go and she had to catch herself on a crate when she lost her balance. “Besides, I have a boyfriend.”

"Reapply every couple hours, it sweats off fuckin' quick." Vinny said, tapping the bottle on Olivia's burnt arm before she swiped it in anger.

"Thanks for the advice Asshole." Granola retorted, glaring at Vinny.

He could feel the capital 'A', she hated him, sad thing is, it just made him smile all the more. This was pure entertainment, he hadn't had any fun like this since he had been assigned to this god forsaken armpit of a town. A class of preschoolers with legos could build this shit, he was being wasted here. But now...now this was makin' it all worth it.

"Darlin'." he asked softly, pausing to make sure she was awake.

"Hmm?" Liv replied, her face buried amongst the blankets on his chest.

"What would you say if I asked you to stay?"

Finally she put a hand to the bridge of her nose and shook her head in pain. "That's it. No more. I-I don't think there's any more I can find. Something....something's just gone. Man, I wish you guys had some Adrenocilin."

"S'alright, didn't expect much." Vinny muttered, offering her a hand up.

Fuckin' squids. Least I remember most of it, if not unlike reading the fucking newspaper...

"K, newbs, let's get this flush down the drain." He said, turning back down the path. "Walk it off KT, you and Steve will be the face when we get to town."

Aradia had waited, and watched curiously. After a minute or so she'd found a low-hanging branch to grab onto, and had silently pulled herself up a couple limbs higher into the tree. She found one to sit comfortably and watch from, keeping an eye out from a slightly elevated viewpoint. Whatever was going on, she figured it must be important. After it was all said and done, and Vinny had helped Kyria up, she hopped back down off of the limb, landing gracefully with not much more than a quiet thump.

"K - we ready to get goin'?"

The rest of the perimeter sweep went smoothly. No further evidence was found of Jaffa in the area. The town itself looked like an ancient Eurpoean village from the dark ages. The largest structure by far was the church all other buildings were dwarfed by it. The people looked fairly dirty and they had an odor to them. The town too was dirty having the sewers as open channels at the edges of the streets. Not a pleasant place to hang out long term. As the team approached the people in the streets stopped their activities and just stared open mouthed. Many people genuflected upon seeing Kyria and Steve unsure if they were angles or demons.

Finally one of the kids ran off up the street calling for someone. Ten minutes later a large portly man in black robes came up the street followed by a group of what looked like laborers.

He stopped before the strangers, "I am Brion, Shepard to this flock." He looked confused at the group unsure what to make of you. Vinny and Aradia were both dismissed in favor of looking to Kyria and Steve. Looking at Steve he started to say, "Are you...?" and then stopped.

Quote:
He stopped before the strangers, "I am Brion, Shepard to this flock." He looked confused at the group unsure what to make of you. Vinny and Aradia were both dismissed in favor of looking to Kyria and Steve. Looking at Steve he started to say, "Are you...?" and then stopped.
*Oh, the good looks strike again... Midevil culture?, ergo men are in charge?*

Steve answered earnestly, "We're strangers from afar." *First tell people what they know...* "We're here to greet you and become friends. My name is Steve and I'm glad to meet you." *Then tell them what they want to hear...*

*Although there's something to the idea of saying 'Yes' if someone asks you if you're a god.*

Aradia glanced at her teammates, and seeing what was happening, decided to follow Vinny's lead. She might be attractive, but she was nothing to those two, and that had all the attention on them. Best to follow along. She concentrated on not crinkling her nose, but it wasn't too bad.. kind of like being back in the animal tents at home.

Although once she thought about it, that was kind of depressing. These people lived here all the time, they probably didn't have a choice.. at least the people who worked animals had the opportunity to shower at the end of the day and wash the smell off.

The people all seemed to defer to Brion and look to him as a leader. He seemed to take this all in stride but he looked powerfully curious about the team. "Perhaps friends we can retire to the cathedral to speak more comfortably? I have many questions about you and your travels, we do not often have visitors from beyond Rooksford." Smiling he gestured toward the church, "Come." His big men fell back as if commanded to let you all pass and he led the way toward the church.

Up close you can see that the town is old and dirty but well made despite the grime.

Once inside the church things are different. All the cleanliness that is lacking in the rest of the town is made up for by the care with which the church has been maintained. You don't see any gold ornamentation but there does seem to be a good deal of silver. Brion leads you to what must be his office and offers you refreshments. "Please, be comfortable and tell me what city you hail from. I don't recognize your clothing, it is very different from what we have seen before. Is this a new fashion?"

((Everyone please make a perception + awareness roll.))

Kyria looked curiously around the cathedral as they were led through it. This was her first look at any architecture or culture on a planet other than Earth with the Stargate Program. She nodded to Brion and accepted a drink in the spirit of hospitality.

Click to reveal.. (Perception Roll)

Steve bowed to the altar on entering and took his hat off as a sign of respect. He accepts the refreshments but only pushes them around the plate, just enough to be polite. He took his spoon and stirred his drink as well.

Steve said gracefully, "We're from Earth, and this is very in fashion for travelers there. Earth is *very* far away, it's a completely different planet, not a city."

Steve paused to see how the Priest took this announcement.

((1 success gets you a feeling that Brion just got nervous. 2 successes get Steve that he knows something.))

"Come through? Uh, well, yes, I've never seen any travelers such as you before." That seemed to have the ring of truth to it. "So what brings you to the back woods town of Nuparse? I would think travelers would venture to the Holy First rather than come to such a small town as this."

Steve said, "Chance, mostly. We're looking for places of interest to establish trade routes, that sort of thing." *Which of course is one of the keys to economic prosperity at this culture level... and also could explain our ignorance and gives you an incentive to play tour guide.*

"We're not 'lost', exactly. We know how to get back home, that's not a problem. But it's not clear to us where we are, what's around us, that sort of thing. How far away is this Holy First?"

Brion frowned, "The Holy first is near on a week's journey from here. You can't get much further from the center of the church than here." The mention of trade didn't seem to spark his interest, if anything he looked perhaps slightly more nervous.

Aradia sat quietly, listening to the exchange. Then finally, she decided to speak up, and hoped she didn't get in trouble for it.

"Sir, if you don't mind my asking - are you at war? I notice there's no men in this town. Only boys, and elders, and women. With the exception of yourself, and your guards, that is..."

She trailed off quietly, waiting to see his response.

Brion's face suddenly became very still as if he were consciously putting on a poker face to avoid giving anything away. "No, we are not at war with anyone nor do we have plans to make war. As for our men, well..." He looked at each of you in turn and took a couple long seconds to answer, "Well, seeing as you are armed travelers and we only have a few of our men at home at the moment I had hoped you wouldn't notice. Not having many defenders in town is not something we are very comfortable about. Our men are at a holy ceremony at the Holy First. It only occurs once every twenty five cycles, but it is a very important rite. They should be returning soon. Yes, very soon now. Only a couple days."

(Feel free to make another wits+rapport or manip+subterfuge roll)

Steve says reassuringly, "We didn't come to make trouble sir. We're a long way from home."

Click to reveal..
manip+subterfuge

8d10.hits(7) → [6,5,8,2,2,8,1,6] = (2)

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2049899/

Steve tries to do a 'ping' with his cyber-k, just to see what's out there.

Click to reveal..
perception + cyberK

6d10.hits(7) → [1,2,4,2,1,2] = (0) Yeah, botch.

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2049946/

((Steve: oops, did that one wrong... Steve has a rather painful headache now. He reached out trying to find electronic devices and pushed too hard in the wrong way and strained his brain. smile

I will wait for Kyria's roll before giving more info.))

Click to reveal.. (Manip/Subterfuge Roll)

Kyria looked at them curiously and spoke for the first time, her voice pitched to reassure them. "We do not mean your people harm. Please, tell us about this ceremony."

Click to reveal.. (The Voice Manip roll)

1d10=8, 1d10=2, 1d10=8, 1d10=4
3 suxx on the suggestion to talk about the ceremony. Defended by a Wits roll with successes negating 1 for 1.

"Oh, well, it's just a ceremony in celebration of our Lord being raised from the dead. I can't give you outsiders the details, it is for the faithful only I'm afraid." That last bit is plain full on bullshit and it doesn't take a genius to figure it out and he seems to realize that he's made a mistake. "It was a pleasure to meet you, if you need a place to stay for the evening, we have a custom of hospitality and would be happy to put you up for the night before you move on. Will you be returning to your people?"

Vinny tried to wait for someone else to pipe up, but he had reached his fill of shoveled shit.

"Alright Brion, ass-tard we came through the Stargate fuckin' primate, and we know that Ba'al goddamn snake has been here. So cut the fuckin' shit before I get pissed and let us know what the hell is going on so we can help you." Vinny said, showing obvious restraint.

"Ba...ba...Ba'al?" He stammered. "I'm sure I don't know what you are talking about. Stargate? Snakes? The only snakes I know of are the serpents spoken of in Holy writ." He was looking openly nervous now. "I think perhaps you should go back through that star gate that you mentioned and leave us."

Kyria sighed, wishing she'd spoken up sooner now. "Captain, yelling at the village priest isn't really the best way to earn trust or figure out what's going on here. If Ba'al is here he might be going by a different name, or he might already have the devotion of the population. Either way, hostility to the baseline population isn't going to achieve our mission objective."

As she spoke she used the distraction of Vinny's outburst and Brion's nervousness to slip into the mind of their host.

Click to reveal..

*Right, that went well. Let's try to redirect this conversation again...*

Steve said sympathetically, "Brion... we're not hostile, we came here to make friends, not trouble. But I get the feeling you're already in trouble. There's a good possibility that we could help if you told us what's going on."

Archived