Aberrant: Dead Rising - Chapter 8a: The Refuge Does Dallas

Dawn OOC

Fox found the library after a bit of searching. It was still intact, though the front doors had been forced open and he could seen a few pamphlets and lighter books blowing around outside. There were a few zombies wondering around, most of them drifting to stand wherever he was at the moment. Satisfied that the trip wouldn't be wasted, Fox headed back to report.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For Priest, everything came in its own order and its own time. Dan took Highguard, making sure no zombies snuck up on them. Jaz and the rest of the crew got bodies stacked, gas found, and a bonfire set (but not started - working near burning human flesh as not a mistake anyone wanted to repeat). Priest and Wesson went into the Walmart and walked the walls and back areas, trying to find any zombies that had been pinned away form all the others and might be stumbled on to.

These choirs done, the peopke set off two by two, with the lists of stuff and the carts to carry them in. Willy and Bethany had the sort and stack duty in the truck by dint of poor lottery choices. Everyone else got to run into the much cooler building and shop until the sun was looming low on the horizon.

Where they would continue filling orders, or go on this library sidetrip this journey still lay with Fox and his return was much anticipated.

At the library site Fox keyed his radio, "Ok folks the library is intact and only a handful of deaders here. My eta to you guys is one minute. Someone crank up the truck and we'll get rolling as soon as I'm in sight. Should only be a ten minute drive to get here and that's only because of a few cars that will have to be shoved out of the way. I'll lead from the air."

Myfwany got in the backseat with Jim and Jasmine, and stared pensively out the window at the all but empty Dallas metroplex. It was hitting her all over again what kind of crippling blow had been dealt to humanity. She found herself wondering about life, death, the zombies and 'supers,' and what as-yet unknown lines of causality connected them all.

The library, once a bustling ediface of knowledge, was now a tomb of humanity. Zombies milled around outside, but only a handful, and they were easily destroyed. Once they were cleared, the supers were able to enter the building.

It had been ransacked somewhat, but not for the books, exactly; the lobby showed signs of a fire, and the charred binding of a book left there indicated exactly what had been been used as fuel. The only saving grace was that the cold raiders had avoided burning encyclopedias or 'important' books. There were a few of the 'important' ones, piled up just inside the door, protected from the weather.

Jasmine glanced around the library with a small sigh. She motioned towards the pile, and then began to move further into the library.

"I'm going to see what else is salvageable, if anything."

May as well see if I can find any of those books Violet was looking for too.. this might be my only chance for now.

Jasmine grabbed a cart and began pushing it through the library, trying to find books that hadn't been scorched that might be important to the refuge and salvaging them. She also attempted to locate a religious section to see if she could find any of the "Wicca" books Violet was looking for.

Morgan headed over to the information desk and started rummaging through what was there. This library was in bad shape already, but at least they would be able to salvage some useful books. Damn, if things were this bad already, they didn't have any time to lose in recovering books. There were numbers for several other public libraries taped to the desk. Grabbing a phone book he looked them up and wrote down the addresses, along with the addresses of other bookstores in the area. After storing away the addresses he moved to supervise what books to take. The vast majority of the books that were left remained on the shelves untouched. Entire sections were left undisturbed. Romance for example was not something that was going to be granted space in the truck. On the other hand almost everything in the reference section went into the truck one dolly load at a time. Mathematics, literature, language, anything on science that looked useful, they all were stacked into the truck. He even made room for several stacks of the 'classics' and popular fiction for entertainment. When it was all said and done the truck wasn't anywhere near full despite combing through the full selection of the library. Well, there was a Borders and a Barnes & Noble and two public libraries in adjacent towns, plus there were at least three high schools and numerous middle and elementary schools nearby and a stop for some textbooks and raids of their libraries would be a valuable addition and should fill up the truck. He was coming back and was going to get a big rig next trip, or maybe this trip depending on how things went.

Jasmine finished combing the library for books, and cleared the stuff she found with Fox. Then, she briefly found her way to the religion section, and hunted around for any of the books Violet was looking for. She managed to find a couple beginner's books, a small one called "Wicca A to Z" that seemed to be some kind of encyclopedia about the religion, and another that was just called "Wicca", by some guy named Scott Cunningham. She kept those separate, carrying them apart from the others tucked under her arm.

After she finished searching, she headed outside to load the books she had salvaged into the trucks with the others. She stopped briefly at the Hummer though, and tossed Violet's books into the glove compartment before shutting it. Then she headed over where Bond was waiting to help her load up her find.

While Fox and Jas organized the books they wanted removed, Priest and crew moved them out to the trucks, plalletized them, and stacked them up. It was cluck work, but needed to be done. Beyond that, the picked up some books more inclined to be sellable/commercial/what have you, plus those second editions of other eductional works. There could be satellite communities were such things could be useful.

As Jas moved around in the back of the library, she heard a sudden bang. Jumping, she spun, just in time to see something small dart between two rows. It was about the size of a German Shepard, but appeared to be blue in color. Whatever it was, it was moving pretty quickly.

The thing darted up another aisle, Jasmine hot on its tail. And it did have a tail, a long, whip-like structure. Whatever this was, it wasn't natural. Jas caught a glimpse of something like a bulldog's head when it peered over its shoulder at her, but the body was more like a cat's, long and agile. It was coated with blue fur, which were crossed on its sides with gray stripes.

It dashed behind the reference desk, nearly giving Fox a heart attack before ducking into the director's office. As Jas and Fox peered into the room, the tip of the blue tail was disappearing into a hole in the wall.

Oblivious to the drama unfolding in the other section, Myfwany has headed to the Health and Fitness books to select a few useful references. The latest DSM, and books about childbirth and rearing along with how to diagnose and treat common ailments and injuries. Those books she sifted through before picking out, to make sure they were based on good science and not an irrational love of homeopathy or other mythical cures.

Fox gave a sigh that came from the bottom of his soul. "Awww, heeellllllll no!" He grumbled some very choice words under his breath as they stood looking at the hole. He turned to look at Jasmine, "You know what this means right? Zombies are no longer the only thing we have to worry about. Things just got a lot more complicated."

He looked at the wall and office to see if he could figure out where that hole might lead. "We should capture that thing and examine it if we can."

The hole was dark, but the wall corresponded with the men's room. Trying the door to that room revealed that the door was blocked. Clearly, that hole was meant to be the only ingress to that room, now.

Jasmine clenched her jaw in annoyance, then turned to Fox.

"Okay, I'm going after it, hopefully I'm quick enough - but you stay here and be ready, in case it gets past me, okay?" She briefly clicked on the headset, and transmitted to the guys outdoors. "Looks like we've got activity in here, doesn't look like a zomb, we're trying to capture it. Block of the front doors so we can keep this.. thing trapped in here, okay?"

She pulled back, and gave the door a good slam with her shoulder to break past whatever was barricading it. The door split horizontally and the top two-thirds of it swung open, the bottom third blocked off by shelving. Jasmine braced herself, eyes darting around the room for evidence of the creature while leaving the bottom blocked for now.

Fox clicked on the radio, "Ok, folks we've got some kind of mutated critter in here. Close the doors and anyone outside be ready to open fire if this thing gets out. Those inside, be ready to shoot it. Jasmine is going to try and grab it, if she misses I am the next line of defense, if it gets past me shoot the bastard. Better we have a dead critter to examine than none at all."

Morgan stationed himself square in the middle of the hole in the wall, it wasn't getting out without going through him.

Jas had to get a flashlight; someone had blackened the windows with spray paint. As she shone it around the room, she found that it was half-storage; bottles of water, boxes of granola bars, candy and other non-perishables lined other shelves. Most intriguing was the hole in the floor that revealed a ladder slanting downward into more darkness - though when Jasmine moved the light away, she could see a faint glow down there.

Fox could also see the situation though the hole with the help of Jasmine's light.

Myfwany looked up from the book she was making unconscious faces at as she skimmed it when she heard Fox's message.

"Mutated critter? An animal? Wait! Guys! I'll be right there!"

She dropped the book and ran through the dark and forbidding shelves to their position. From there she wastes no time in searching for the thing not with eyes and ears, but by searching for where its net of green light should be. If she could find that, she could try to push her mind out to the hulking beast and perhaps speak to it, calm it down.

(using Sense Life to try to find the thing...then Nature Mastery to 'speak" to it, if possible.)

Myf senses life, but the green lines aren't an animal's; they're a human's. There is an odd echo of life, something she's never felt before. It's near the human's signs, and it's lines are a pale golden color. They're also all wrong for something alive; the lines don't match up right, or don't seem to do anything. Myf could believe that it was a mutated animal, but she'd expect it to make more sense than it did. This thing shouldn't be alive, yet it somehow almost was.

Jasmine climbed carefully over the bottom part of the door, leaving it blocked off for now so that it would serve as a barrier in case anything tried to run. She tucked her flashlight into the waistband of her pants, at the small of her back, before making ready to go down the ladder. But first, she glanced at Myfwanny.

"Can you do anything? Or should I go down?"

"It's not a zombie," the doctor says after a moment. A deep frown creases her forehead as she tries to focus more, get more details. What she finds only makes it more mysterious.

"It's a person! Only...no, wait. There's something else there too. Almost like two in one, but the second one is nothing I've ever seen before. I can't read it at all...it's like it has different rules than us. But there's definitely a human being in there somewhere too. A living one."

She shook her head.

"I don't think I can call it or compel it though. One's a human being, and the other one is too...different."

Grumbling Fox keyed on the radio again, "Ok folks we've got someone alive down here and something not zombie but not normal either. Jas and I are going in for a closer look."

Fox flipped on his own light, "Ok Jas, let me go first in case we need to make a quick escape I'll fly back up and grab you on the way."

Priest saunters on over once his team has moved out of the building. Close quarters fighting isn't their forte. He reaches out with his senses beyond senses.

"Let me see if this thing is intentionally out to do you harm," he chimes in, "okay now?"

Priest immediately gets a tearing sensation in his legs and gut; the natural attack points for something about waist-high.

At the same time, Myf felt two more of those things appear, their golden lines forming out of nothing.

In the hole, Fox begins to hear an odd growling. It isn't as violent or scary as he thought it should be, but it was definitely from an animal, warning him back. A moment later, his flashlight fell on the creature. It snarled louder, the pupils in its blue eyes narrowing to slits. And then he saw the two flanking it.

But odder was the child they were crouching protectively in front of. The child was very young, maybe eight. It was so dirty that it was hard to tell hair color or skin tone, and its clothes were a mish mash of boys and girls styles, so gender was obscure.

((Activate Persuader))

Morgan stopped descending and smiled a friendly smile at the child. "Hello. My name is Morgan Fox. I don't mean you any harm. What's your name?" He was ignoring the animals for now hoping the kid would not make the attack if he didn't feel threatened.

"Oh, they definitely mean you harm. They are going to come in hard and low - waist and down at least at first."

He hefted his shotgun and took aim at the lead creature illuminated in Fox's light.

"Let me know if you guys want me to open up on this critters. I'm not so sure if that's a good thing or not, but we are about to find out. Jas?"

"Go 'way!" the kid shouted, its voice rough with disuse. "Go 'way, can't have my s'uff!"

One of the creatures snaked forward a little, head low, snarling evilly. Red began to ripple through the gray streaks, and their eyes began to glow red. They were ready for a fight.

Morgan did his best to be soothing. "We don't want your stuff. We didn't even know you were here until we saw your pet. We thought it was a dangerous animal that might hurt someone. If you like we could share some of our food with you. Is there anything else you need?"

Click to reveal..
(22:10:58) ChatBot: (morgan) rolls 2d10 and gets 2,2.

0 success + auto successes from Persuader = ?

"What the hell?" Myfwany murmured.

"There's more appearing! Literally just appearing out of nothing. Maybe they can hide themselves somehow, and I can only just now sense them, I don't know..."

"Fox, are you okay down there?"

Jasmine made a cautious motion towards Priest.. it was probably best not to let the kid see him pointing a gun down there, especially one as intimidating looking as a shotgun. She moved towards the ladder and glanced in, but didn't move to head down yet. She called out to the child, trying to keep her voice gentle.

"He's right, I promise.. we just came looking for some books to read, that's all. We don't want anything that's yours, we swear. Are these.. your pets?"

"Pwease don't h'rt us," the little kid said again. Tears were starting to run down its face as one of the animals came back to lick its face comfortingly.

Priest felt the sense of danger fade as Fox replied. "No one will hurt you," Fox promised, smiling. After a moment, one of the creatures stepped forward, sniffing carefully. Though tense about it, Fox let it smell him before it backed away. After a moment, the kid rose. It was even smaller than Fox had thought; huddled in those ill-fitting clothes, his or her true size had been hidden.

"Cross yer heart, hope ta die?" the child asked earnestly, its eyes flickering between Priest, Jasmine and Fox. The 'animals' all tensed, looking expectantly at the three as well. Eerily, the animals were looking at exactly the same thing that the child was, the three noticed after a moment.

Jasmine nodded again gently, her eyes softening with pain at the child's condition. She forced herself to ignore the disturbing actions of the creatures for now, and held a hand down the hole towards her.

"Absolutely, cross my heart. My name is Jasmine.. would you like me to help you up, and out of there? It seems awfully dark and lonely, and you probably haven't had much to eat."

Calm. Wesson was calm this whole time. When he first entenered the library he went for maps. Geological maps were his friends right now. The simple fact was that rocks were the easiest things to use to build a castle with. At least one that would endure a zombie siege. Wood could slow them down, but stone would last longer. Hopefully long enough.

When the ruckus started Wesson let the rest of the team deal with it. He was going to have to talk to Priest, set the boy down and hopefully only have metaphorically beat some seance into him. Pulling out his radio.

"One thing we should pick up on way out of town, is a cement truck."

Morgan smiled again calm and friendly. "Cross my heart and hope to die." He pulled an energy bar from a cargo pocket in his pants and opened it. He took a small bite and began to chew then held the rest out to the child offering it as a token of friendship. "We are alive like you. Would you like to come up above with us? We have food and light and safer places to live that this library. You are welcome to live with us if you want."

((persuader is still active - He's trying to convince the child that they are friendly and to join them.))

Archived