Aberrant: Dead Rising - Chapter 8a: The Refuge Does Dallas

Dawn OOC

The week off had done everyone well, Fox noted happily. Those gathering in the pre-dawn light was a well-rested and more at-ease crew than had left for Elijah's last week. The vehicles that were being used today had been tanked up last night, and now stood waiting in the cool morning air. It was quite a convoy of vehicles, from Bond's sleek Hummer to Wesson's Something Blue to The Up-chuck. With everyone's vehicles, it was probably the longest train to ever leave Fox's.

As always, a crowd was gathered around, watching the departing supers. There was a mixture of hope and casual boredom as the people watched. Off to one side, Jules and Markham were taking the final requests for supplies and needs that individuals had. Everyone understood that they may not find the requested items, but it allowed them to try to get them. Willy and Bethany were doing the same with more people, trying to get all the requests in while they could.

It was almost time to leave.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Captain hit the radio channel, "Fox here, get those rigs started up we're about ready to roll. Here's the plan, we're heading first to Jon's lab, that's on the northern outskirts of the metroplex and defensible. We'll use it as a staging area for supply runs. There's a ton of good stops within a mile of his lab, Walmart, Sam's, Home Depot, Lowes, Super Target, and a bunch more. Great place to get some of the necessities. Once we get there we'll take an aerial tour of the city and check for Jasmine's parents. That'll be easier than running in there blind on the ground. At that point if anyone wants to go exploring or hit specific targets we can discuss it." He finished with a chuckle, "And we are taking the dreaded sled with us in case we need to air lift anyone or anything out." He clicked off the radio.

Fox walked over to Jules and Markham, "Ok, get those lists to one of the drivers and we'll be on our way." Taking the two aside from the crowd for a moment for a last minute bit of instruction, "After that talk with Kiet I'm pretty convinced that the RUS would like nothing better to control everything. We'll be tested at some point and what better time than while the supers are away? Not saying it will happen, but be prepared. Double the watch, and keep an eye on new folks coming in, we learned some things from that issue last week. We'll have a portable shortwave and check in every 6 hours just to be safe. If anything happens we can be back in under 2 hours." Looking to Jules, "I know you guys can handle it though. I have confidence in you."

He shook Markham's hand and gave Jules a quick hug.

Priest and Leo did a final walk around of the double trailer they were taking. This wasn't normal, but with the refinery gear they wanted to get and the 'basic necessities' they needed to get, they were going to need all the room they could roll on wheels. Leo was sure the engine and chassis could make the trip, but the shape or the road was the great Unknown.

When they had finished, he got on his headset and tapped the command frequancy.

"Fox. Tractor One ready to roll."

This time everyone going had head sets. It was his gift to the mission and something made to make up for the oversight of communications on the last run.

That done, the two supers went over to see Wesson and make sure his rig was also ready to roll. Sure, it was a boring and largely unnecessary thing to do, but the routine could save lives and the realm of the walking dead was filled with those who 'winged it'.

In a moment of humor Dan groans over the radio. "Another walmart, and the Damn Sled..." He stops. "Roger that Fox. Hawkins is ReadyOP." Dan signed off and smiled. He'd requisitioned a demolition kit, and he had enough rounds for his weapons to handle alot of zombies. He knew he was there for recon and Security, Having already checked his limited stock of 50 cal ammo, and the heavy machine gun itself thoroughly.

He was near the head of the Convoy, and ready for anything. The Humvee's engine had been cleaned completely during the downtime, it ran better now than when he'd first approriated it.

Jasmine, like last time, was up and about early. Unlike last time, she hadn't really gotten any sleep the night before. Not that it mattered too terribly much, sleep was a thing that Jasmine could go without for a long time. But she wouldn't have minded a few hours of blessed unconsciousness. Ever since Fox had announced the day they were going to head to Dallas, Jasmine had been a bit on edge.

She spent most of the night at one of the tables downstairs, working on drawings for the new bedrooms and private areas for Violet and her.. family. She had been struggling with it a bit, and was hoping to pick up some books for the refuge's new budding library on building and construction.

Eventually, she had given up and headed upstairs to get ready for the mission. She had gotten dressed in the looser fitting jeans she had favored since acquiring them from Jim, her trusty boots, and a red button-down shirt that she'd tied at her waist. Last time too many of the shambling horde had been able to grab a hold of her braid, so she left her hair loose in the hopes that clumsy, undead fingers would slip through strands of hair that they might have otherwise grabbed onto. She picked up the machete she had held onto when they left Kansas. It had been cleaned thoroughly, and she'd stored it under her bed for future situations. This trip, into the heart of a city, was a good example of one of those situations.

She headed outside, reaching Jules and Markham first, who were handing out headsets to the departing supers. She took hers, and began to fit it over her ear, as she saw Captain Fox approaching, talking into his own. She waited for him to speak with Jules, and after he had broken away from their hug, she spoke up briefly.

"Captain, I don't expect a full city scan or anything, I hope you're not thinking it. Dallas is a huge city. I figure.. well, if there's anything there for me, it'll be at the house. We're not downtown or anything, we lived in a suburb nearby. If my parents were able to get away, I think they'd have done everything they could to leave me a message, just in case. Besides.."

Jasmine hesitated for a moment, and when she spoke again, her voice was a bit more detached, and more distant, as if she was trying to prepare herself for the worst.

"Besides, if nothing else, there are some things I want to get if I can, and some things that I'd like you to have for the refuge - we had a pretty good selection of books on medical stuff, and on construction and electrical things. My Mom was.. is.. she's a nurse. And Dad's an electrician, so.. there might be some useful material. College textbooks, and how-to manuals, you know?"

Morgan nodded and squeezed Jasmine's arm, "I understand. After we get to the staging point at Jon's lab, I'll fly you directly to your house, it'll only take thirty minutes at most to get there no matter where it is in the city going directly by air. Then you'll have your answers. I hope we find them or at least a message." His look spoke sympathy and compassion. "We'll take the sled so you can bring back as much as you want, and thanks, the books will be very welcome."

Jasmine nodded at him, and flicked on the headset, glancing around for Jim's Hummer.

"Testing.. testing.. this thing work? Okay. Priest, I think I'm gonna drive out with Bond - thank you for the offer though, I'll probably take you up on it some time. But.. I wouldn't mind a quiet trip today, I think."

Her voice sounded a little anxious, even over the headset, and anyone listening could tell the girl was nervous about the upcoming trip. Jasmine finally spotted Bond's Hummer through the confusion, and headed over towards it, and him, carrying her machete and looking ready for business.

Myfwany came driving up in her 4x4, with sunglasses on and a blue bandanna covering part of her hair. She'd put on a loose, cool white shirt, a vest, and blue jeans.

"Anyone seen Jon yet? We're going to have a heckuva time finding his place if we don't have him to give us directions."

Bond had finished making sure all of his precious stock was under lock and key, leaving the hummvee nearly empty and ready to pick up as many supplies and as many people as it could hold. Dressed in his grey-green armor, he had collected a headset from Jules with a smile before making his way to the Falcon. Now he stood on the footplate, a pair of aviator shades covering his eyes as he watched the hustle and bustle of people preparing for the expedition. He spotted Jasmine moving around, talking to Fox before testing her headset and telling Priest she'd be travelling with him this time round. Bond grinned to himself.

"Hey Jim, don't forget those smokes I asked for, okay?" a burly man called from the crowd.

"If we have room, Waite!" Jim shouted back. "Ciggies aren't exactly a necessity. Plus it's a filthy habit!" That was good for a laugh. from Waite and those nearest him.

"Jim, for god's sake get him the smokes. Waite on a nic fit is worse than any zom." Another man shouted with a grin.

"Good. We'll get him good and mad then throw a pack of twenty at the next crowd of zoms and watch him go after them." More laughter rippled through the watchers as Jasmine finally made her way to Bond's side. He looked down at her.

"Ready for the off, then?" He unfolded his arms and stepped down from the footplate, lifting the shades up on his head and giving her a friendly smile.

Jasmine smiled a bit nervously at him, and nodded.

"Yeah.. as ready as I'm gonna be."

Jasmine climbed into the passenger seat of Bond's car, and the contrast between the dainty-looking girl sitting there now and last occupant of the seat (besides Priest) was enough to draw a slight chuckle out of Bond. She stowed the machete safely on the floor, and glanced at him as he climbed into the driver's side. She made sure the microphone was set to transmit only if she chose for it to - at least for now - before she spoke.

"Thanks for the invite. Priest and his crew seem nice and all, but they're all from Dallas too, aren't they? I think that might be too much nervousness for one vehicle."

"Most of them are, yes." Bond replied with a calm nod. "And you're probably right." With a smile, he passed Jasmine a pair of shades identical to his. "Here you go. An essential part of the experience." He grinned at her before slipping his own shades down over his eyes and keying his mic.

"This is the 1KFALCON ready to roll up here, Captain. Want us to start off at a steady pace for Dallas, or hold for awhile?" While he talked, he slipped a CD into the sound system and, reaching behind his seat, passed Jasmine a large bag of jerky. Keying off the microphone whilst he waited for Fox's reply, he looked at Jasmine enquiringly. "Do you know how to shoot or drive at all?"

Jasmine grinned a little at him, slipping on the sunglasses. She didn't need them - the sun certainly didn't bother her any - but if it was an essential part of the experience, far be it for her to miss out. She pulled off the top of the jerky bag, and unzipped the fresh-lock seal, taking out a piece and holding the open bag out to him.

"Nope - my parents hated guns, they would have melted them all down if they could have. Very un-Texan of them, if I do say so. And I was in the hospital too much, so I never got the chance to learn to drive. So unless you want to teach me on the way, I guess I'm just along for my winning personality."

She grinned again, and nibbled on the jerky.

"Well, that personality is a big point in your favour, that's for certain." Bond fished a piece of jerky out and chewed on it as he relaxed back into his seat. He shot her a mischievous look over his shades. "I'm sure I could teach you to drive as we travel. It'd add some excitement to the trip, especially if we try it without stopping."

He let that sink in, grinning as he glanced out of the window to see how close the column was to getting moving. He was a little restless, though like everything else it didn't really show in his demeanour as he turned back to Jasmine.

"As for shooting, that's something we can work on if you're willing. Though not at the same time as driving school. Mixing guns and automobiles is strictly for the practiced user." He smiled at her.

Jasmine watched him for a moment, as her mind tried to wrap it's way around exactly how to interpret that comment. Then her cheeks turned a faint shade of deep rose, and she shook her head slightly, and smiled.

"You know.. if it turns out my parents aren't dead..."

She waited a beat, and for a moment he was afraid she was going to become melancholy, or upset. But instead, she glanced at him over the tops of her sunglasses in response, and her lips twitched a bit in amusement.

"...they may have a heart attack when they find out I'm hanging out with someone like you."

"Someone like me?" Bond feigned hurt puzzlement. "They don't like charming, handsome and devastatingly talented Englishmen?" Then he grinned at her, a genuinely friendly expression. "I consider it a community service. Guys like me give nice girls something for their parents to worry about. And something for nice guys to rescue them from." He whistled a short snatch of a tune as he folded his hands behind his head and stared out of the windshield, his expression sombre and still for a moment. Then she saw his eyes flick sideways at her from behind the sunglasses and the familiar wry grin quirked his lips.

"So we'll have to make sure we find your parents just so they can thoroughly disapprove of me, won't we? After all, it wouldn't be fair to all the effort I put in to being such a complete scoundrel otherwise."

Jasmine looked at him, and for a moment her face softened a little, and she smiled warmly at him. Then the smile turned into a smirk, and she relaxed into the seat, adjusting the glasses back to their proper position on her nose.

"Yeah, I guess we'll have to do that. And just so that I can give them a proper first-time, non-medical panic attack, I'll make sure not to tell them what a nice guy you can actually be.. we wouldn't want to ruin your reputation, after all."

She didn't look back at him when she said that, to all appearances her full attention on glancing ahead to see if they were ready to go. But when he looked, he could still see that soft little smile playing at the corners of her lips.

Jon bent down to give Maddie a kiss. He stopped short of her lips, allowing her to go the last mile. She did and smiled faintly. It was a good sign, but she was progressing slowly. Her eyes still held the look of a broken soul.

He gave her a squeeze and said. "We'll be back soon."

Jon checked his gear to make sure he had everything he needed. The large greatcoat he had found in the army surpluss,great for stopping zombie bites, concealed the small arsenal he had put together. A couple of military auto-shotguns, sawed off roomsweeper style hung at his hips. A sidearm was slung under his armpit and a large bowie knife was inveted on one side of his tac-vest. The other side held 5 grenades...high explosive of course...it only made shambling corpses more dangerous when you used incendiaries on them. Of course Jon himself was the most dangerous weapon but it was a good idea to take every precaution where they were going.

He hadn't brought any extra plasma. he would restock at the lab and in any case, he knew he wouldn't lack for opportunities to feed. He switched on his radio and climbed up into their transport, a simple boxtruck with a large forward window.

"This is Jon. Saddled up and ready to roll out."

He made his way to the front of the convoy, pulling up alongside Bond and Jasmine Priest.

"I'll navigate when we get closer to town."

Given the way others were packing for this trip, he thought it would be wise to bring items. His rig was a large part of this caravan's load. Still her brought some medical supplies, fuel, part of his ammo stash, a few extra weapons, and Min. Min well, he needed someone who he really trusted.

"This is something blue, Wesson, and Min are ready to roll out. Just friendly little reminder, bring water, and food. We don't know what we will be getting into, and how long we be there."

Turning to min.

"Let's show these folk how to re build a city. Let's see how many people we can save."

Violet got up too late and Jas was already gone to join the mission to Dallas. She had completely forgotten to ask her a favour and since James couldn't do much scavanging given his condition Jasmine was the only other person Violet knew she could ask.

She put on the large brown robe and threw over the hood concealing most of her body and moved as fast as she could to the vehicles. Her first guess was right - Jas was with Bond sitting casually next to him.

"Hey Jas, got a minute before you leave?", Violet was removing the hood as she approached the vehicle making sure Jas recognized her.

Jasmine sat up a little, lowering the window of the Hummer as she saw Violet approach. Even in the brown robe, the woman was unmistakable. It was like Dolly Parton dressed as a Jedi. Jasmine concealed a little laugh at the mental image, and nodded slightly, smiling warmly at Violet.

"Sure - what's up, hon?"

Violet came really close to the window, waving Jasmine closer to her. She wanted to make sure no one would eavesdrop on them.

"Can you get some books for me... special books I mean? I'd like to have as much as you can find on Wicca. I know a few authors and titles if you don't mind?", Violet's eyes sparkled intensely at Jasmine hoping the young woman would do her this favour.

Jas looked a bit confused for a minute, but nodded a little.

"Yeah, I suppose I could.. I mean, if I get the opportunity. Hey, actually.."

Jas flipped on her microphone for a second, so that she could communicate again.

"Hey Captain, if we're looking for books for a library and school, maybe it might not be a bad idea to stop by a Borders or a Barnes and Noble or something, as well as a library? They're bound to have more up to date stuff, and a lot of copies of the classics of literature, you know, Shakespeare, Dickens, that kind of stuff? And they'd probably have a lot of how-to books, construction, engineering, you know - practical stuff to help get us up and running. And maybe audio books and stuff, in case we get people who can't read, you know?"

She switched off the microphone, and glanced back at Violet, waiting for a response. She knew it might take a second, the Captain looked busy getting ready for departure. Her voice stayed fairly quiet, though - Violet seemed to want the conversation to stay quiet.

"Wicca.. we had some people at my school who practiced that. Goths, mostly.. I don't know much about it, I never really got the chance to make a lot of friends there, in any clique. I was gone too much. Isn't it some kind of witchcraft thing? Like, magic?"

She paused for a moment, thinking about what she just said, then laughed a little, her expression a bit ironic.

"Come to think of it, believing in magic doesn't sound quite as crazy as it used to, does it?"

Violet smiled mysteriously at Jasmine and nodded briefly. "I suppose you're right, Jas. But actually it's less the magic part and more the part about the religion I'm interested in. Gardnerian to be precise. If you find anything written by Gerald B. Gardner, Doreen Valiente or Vivianne Crowley I'd be a happy girl.", Violet got on her toes and gave Jas a little kiss on her cheek.

"I make it up to you, ok?"

Jasmine smiled at her, and nodded.

"Sure, Violet. And if, for some reason, we can't make it on this trip, then maybe I can see what I can do about making a book run at a later date - we're gonna need more stuff than what Dan brought back, and some good, fun reading books might help improve moral a bit too."

Jasmine hesitated, then popped open the glove box on the Hummer. She dug around for a minute, and then lucked out, pulling a pen out of the glove compartment. She found a random scrap of paper, and had Violet repeat the names and info so she could scribble them down, then she tucked it into her pocket.

Fox clicked on his radio, "Sure, bookstore would be a good idea, there should be quite a few along the highway or close to it I imagine, at least once we get into town. Have to tell you though, my priority is science and hard knowledge first and fiction second. I do want to have the classics and some fun stuff to read, but rebuilding civilization and preserving technical knowledge is first. Still, we should have enough room to bring back at least one copy of all the major classics on this trip." Fox was completely oblivious to the conversation on wicca books being at the other end of the convoy at that moment.

As he finish on the radio he clicked it over to the open channel, "Ok folks lets roll. I'll take point in the air and lead the way. Since we're heading to McKinney first to Jon's lab we'll cut across highway 82 just south of the Refuge over to Highway 75 which will lead us straight down to McKinney at the northeast side of Dallas. That should be much safer and faster than going down into the city on the west side before going cutting over to the east. Stick close and follow me."

The Oklahoma landscape flowed by the rolling vehicles, empty and desolate. The occasional sign of wildlife was fleeting as the animals avoided the noisy machines. Things were smooth rolling until they reached Thackerville, in Oklahoma. As Walker had mentioned, the deep curve in the Red River was bottle-necking zombies there.

After a brief consensus, they backtracked to 377 and took that south. It crossed the Lake Texoma, and there was no loop in the lake bed to trap zombies. Where they picked up the 82 was clear, but the 82/I-75 junction at Sherman, TX, was a tangled mess of cars and barricades. It looked like someone had mounted a defense against zombies, but the barricade had been breached and it was clear that there was no one there anymore. The smaller vehicles could pass, but the big rigs were unable to pass. Once again, they had to backtrack a bit to circle Sherman.

They would have had the same issue at McKinney, but Jon had kept the roads into his area clear. With some care and effort, even the big rigs were able to make it through into the compound.

They parked within the walls and entered the complex. The above-ground areas were partially secure, but they hadn't been secured as strongly as the below-ground part. That was as safe as could be. Six large rooms full of laboratory equipment formed part of the complex, but most of it was offices, some of which had been converted into living space for Jon.

The journey had passed easily enough in the 1KFALCON, despite all the setbacks. Jasmine's driver didn't seem to get upset, or frustrated, or even disappointed at the few about-turns and detours the convoy had to take. Bond had an exceedingly large collection of CD's and wasn't at all shy about singing along with them, his fingers keeping the beat on the wheel as he drove. In between he'd kept up a steady banter at some times, and let a comfortable silence reign in the HummVee at others. His laid-back calm was as infectious as it was appealing.

They took turns picking out discs, so the soundtrack for the ride to Dallas was eclectic to say the least. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers gave way to Pink, who in turn bowed out to Dire Straits, who gave up the stage to Garbage, and so on. When they pulled up at Jon's compound, both Jasmine and Bond stepped down from the Falcon and looked around.

"Not bad." Bond said as he regarded the place, before stretching like a cat.

Dan smiled as he stepped from the Hummvee and had his feet back on the ground. He looked up to Fox and smiled. "Want to switch for awhile? No sense in you burning all your reserves."

It was an offer no one had ever heard him make before, allowing someone else to drive his vehicle.

He knew of something else on the south side of Dallas that would be useful. Why hit a regular walmart when you could hit a distribution center? Ten times the size, five times the amount of merchandise at the minimum, and quite possibly additional trucks. Dallas was potentially a treasure trove of gear, if no one had beat them to the punch.

Wesson let others think meof short term gains. He knew what he wanted. He looked to Min, smiling.

"We have to get your guns back on the base. I have a plan, you should talk to Fox. Tell him that as a former MP, and seemingly the only female with your skill set, you should start teaching the women how do defend themselves. Talk to him here away form his power base."

He slipped out of something-blue. A tear in his eye. He wanted to let Min be free. He wanted to let her live her life, but he knew someone would have help her. Someone was going have to stop her. He just didn't want to push her away. Quickly recovering himself he pulled his day gear down. Turning on his radio.

"The base seems safe enough, I say a few of us take a look around wile the rest make sure the people in the base have what they need, providing we have it.Anyone else want to come?Who know what we will find in this brave new world."

"Alright, teams of two. Let's take a look around. Colt - Willy, Rhonda with me. Once Jon gives the labs an 'All Clear', Leo - Bethany check it out. See what we need to move and what is on site to move it if it comes to that."

Moving toward Fox and Dan,

"In case defending this site isn't an option ... and we want to equip all those OTHER scientists back at the Refuge."

Priest reaches out and taps into his Spidey Sense. Moving around the they check the fences and for any sign of zombie activity or access into the facility by anyone.

Click to reveal..

Healthy 26/23q 10/10 WP

Premonition (Others) active

Fox moved over to where everyone was stretching their legs and found Jasmine. "Jas. Next stop is your parents house. Rather than spend half the day trying to negotiate zombie packed streets and abandoned cars, I want to just fly us there. We'll take the sled so we can bring back anything of your former life you want or anything important we come across." He looked to Dan, "You want to come along as well and bring one more?"

Dan nods. "Myfwany would be my pick, just in case." He walks over to the young doctor and smiles. "Fox and I are gonna take Jasmine and the Sled out to her parents place to see if there are any survivors, and anything of import. Would you come with us?"

Being polite was a new thing for him, but one forced on him by how things were going at the refuge.

Dan found Myf leaning against her truck, flipping to the beginning of a little leatherbound booklet. She looked up from it at him as he came up and listened as he talked. When he was done she nodded.

"Sure, I'll go," she replied. "I think I'll be able to help."

The doctor eyed Dan for a moment, then asked, "Any idea what we'll be getting into in there?"

Priest's recon found no sign of zombie penetration into the compound. In fact, there was little above ground, save some deserted buildings. The place was teeming with small life forms - rats, raccoons, rabbits and even some pets gone feral. But none of the walking dead appeared to be in here.

Jasmine nodded, trying to brush off her nervousness. She walked over, and reached into the Hummer, pulling out the machete she had brought. She glanced at Jim for a minute and he could see the nervousness written on her face. Then she headed back over to Fox, and drew in a breath.

"Ready when you are, Captain. If we stick to the highways I can get us there pretty easily."

Bond trailed over behind Jasmine. "Would it be a problem if I rode along on the sled, perhaps? Many hands make light work, after all, and I doubt I'll be needed here."

He gave Jasmine a reassuring smile, then turned his attention on Fox, waiting for the answer.

Fox nodded, "Fine by me. We were going to carry the sled anyway for supplies and possible survivors. You're guns will be a welcome addition."

He moved to the big rig that had the sled strapped on top and with Dan's assistance harnessed up. "All aboard." With a smile he and Dan lifted slowly off the ground. Some day they would have to rig up something a little better than this sled, maybe install some seatbelts for people to strap themselves down or something.

Priest walked over the the team ready to head out. His rifle was slung lazily over his shoulder, but his eyes kept scanning around for trouble. It was a veteran thing.

"Keep it simple guys. Watch out for those specials and no heroics. You can only go back and search again if you are alive."

"Beyond that, good hunting and good luck. I'll keep the home fires burning."

Looking to Min.

"Stay in the walls, I have to do some scouting"

He waved to her and was off. If people were not going to listen him, he was going go get him some good walking. He was in no mood to wait. He saw the others gather around a hummer and let them deal with whatever they had to deal. If they did not wish to talk to him then so be it.

Walking to wall, he jumped over it, and walked into the city.

Archived