Mutants & Masterminds: Future Imperfect - Chapter 1: The end of the world as we know it

Joani

The elevator doors slowly opened revealing 2 large metal-hulks just like you encountered in Las Vegas. The cold red eyes focused on the intruders and took aim. Right behind them a third machinelike humanoid was standing – not quite as tall but intimidating nonetheless.

Kevin braced himself for the impact upping his Forcefield and projecting it to protect anyone behind him. With a high-pitched noise the mass-driver guns of the Terminator-like robots spit death and destruction bouncing off the invisible shield making it ripple with each impact.

Instantly Kevin’s face was covered with cold sweat. He couldn’t tell how long he could hold against the incredible force of the high-velocity rounds.

Suddenly the corridor went dark and red lights turned on. A distant alarm went off and a German voice kept repeating a message that sounded like a warning.

Click to reveal..
<Attention, Attention. Powerloss imminent. Switching to emergency power. Evacuation recommended.>

The metal-hulks slowly moved forward, firing salvo after salvo. The third humanoid behind them suddenly jerked as if he was hit by something. He reached with his arms to his head holding it as if he heard a sound no one else could hear. An invisible scream was painted to its face and then it collapsed to the floor.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Ah crap!" Travis wondered if this was poor timing or perfect timing. "Fuck, fuckity, fuck fuck!" As his eyes adjusted to the dimness of the red emergency lighting Travis saw the skeletal outlines of the robots advancing on Kevin. Old man's actually holding them off ... for now anyway. Travis located Grav, "Chicka! Time to go home!"

He allowed his mind to open up to the full extent of the room, he could sense all the movement around him, kinetic energy. "Dammit dammit dammit... OK, screw it, live or die time." Travis focused on the kinetic energy in the room, gathered up spare shreds and focused them into his hands. He poured forth his own energy and fueled the golf ball sized flickers of physical movement into softball sized cannonballs of power.

Travis planted his feet and sighted his targets. It felt like an eternity and yet it was barely seconds. He didn't so much throw the blasts as simply will them onto their course, the kinetic energy did the rest, ripping through the air and slamming into the chests of the two killing machines.

Click to reveal..
Hurling 2 Kinetic blasts, one at each robot. Taking a turn to spend double QP and avoid damage.

Attack Pool 1st attack: 6+1 (-1 for hurt -2 for 2 actions)

Attack Pool 2nd attack: 5+1 (-1 for hurt -3 for 2 actions)

Damage Pools: [8] 8L + attack sux

(15:58:41) ChatBot: (Travis_Kincaid) rolls 6d10 and gets 10,10,2,3,8,4.

(15:58:47) (Travis_Kincaid): mega

(15:58:51) ChatBot: (Travis_Kincaid) rolls 1d10 and gets 2.

Result = 3 sux

(15:58:55) (Travis_Kincaid): 2nd attack

(15:58:59) ChatBot: (Travis_Kincaid) rolls 5d10 and gets 6,7,10,2,5.

(15:59:03) ChatBot: (Travis_Kincaid) rolls 1d10 and gets 4.

Result = 2 sux

Damage:

Robot 1: [8] 10L - 9L soak = 9L dice

(16:12:16) ChatBot: (Travis_Kincaid) rolls 9d10 and gets 2,2,2,6,3,8,3,9,7.

Result = 3 damage done

Robot 2: [8] 9L - 9L soak = 8L dice

(16:12:25) ChatBot: (Travis_Kincaid) rolls 8d10 and gets 3,8,6,7,8,2,3,6.

Result = 3 damage done

Hurt -1 / QP 0/28 / WP 1/3

EM: Shield is active total soak is now 23/21 vs physical (11/9 vs energy)

The girl collapsed to the floor as she was pushed aside, coughing and wretching the last of the liquid out of her lungs. She whimpered slightly, trying to pull herself up and over to her brother. She heard the sirens, but didn't seem to notice them. Even when she heard the sounds of the mechanical monsters plow into the nearby hall, her attention was only for her brother.

"Simon..."

*Are you okay? Please.. please be okay..*

The man let out a groan of pain and confusion, his mind only slowly interpreting the signals from his senses. He leaned heavily into the person that was propping him up; his legs felt like lead and wouldn't quite hold him up.

*Jer....? Are we dead yet?* The thought was both despairing and hopeful. At least she was with him.

"Ronnie, get my sister! I'll manage these two."

Adrian reached out to Ronnie and took Simon into his arms. He then repositioned him so that one of Simon's limp arm was around his neck.

He then bent down and took the girl by the arm.

"I'm going to get you out of here," he told her.

The Kid's arm snaked down around her waist and pulled her up as well. His grip was tight. It had to be because of the slime and both of the Aryans were trying to slip away from him.

"Hang on both of you," he said as he prayed for a quick exit.

Click to reveal..

Might roll to keep and carry them both (assuming they don't resist) Burning a Willpower: 16:28:09) ChatBot: (Adrian) rolls 10d10 and gets 9,10,9,3,5,7,9,5,4,4 = 6 successes.

Travis' blasts of kinetic force make the metal hulks almost stumble backwards. For a short moment they cease their fire trying to readjust to the damage done to their system.

Several parts of metal blew off their exoskeletons and sparks littered the floor to their feet. Then they proceeded with their advancement.

Click to reveal..
The Robots already acted this turn. You're all up once with your actions before we roll initiative.

Kevin pushed himself to what could possibly be the brink of death. But, if it saved everybody's life, it would be worth it.

All of Kevin's energy and focus was being poured into mainting the wall in front of the doorway. As the blood trickled out of his nose and ears, Kevin knew that the only thing that would move him would be retreat through the portal, unconciousness, death or the elimination of the threats.

Despite everything, Kevin was glad that he was here. His entire life had been devoted to helping people, and by saving these people he could save many more in the future. If nothing else, his sacrifice wouldn't be in vain.

Click to reveal..
(( [Crippled -4] || 6/28 QP || 5/6 WP ))

Powermaxing FF, spending 1WP, 3 extra QP

Base Virus Dmg = 5d10L

Powermax Virus Dmg = [3]L

Total Virus Dmg = 5d10[3]L = [Joani] 3:49 pm: I rolled 3 suxx + 3 auto damage netting 6 HL damage to Kev

FF lvl 4 + Q 3 = 15B/15L soak on FF

The sounds of fighting back down the corridor made Ronnie's stomach clench. There were two reasons for this:

Travis!

Sly!

Sly?

That's my pick, Lena said smuggly. He's too cute to let die.

"... take my sister..."

"Sorry, Kid," Ronnie said, turning toward the fight, "I'm a fighter, not a babysitter."

Click to reveal.. (flashback)
"I'm a spy, not a babysitter, Travis!",,

"I don't need you to wipe my ass, Purple Bits, I fucking need your help up here!"

The facility shook again, as if they were under attack. Ronnie slipped on the floor and nearly went to one knee. Her hands shook as she struggled to get the tube open, but she wasn't sure what she was doing; all she knew is that she couldn't leave these people - HER PEOPLE - here.

"Ronnie!" Travis screamed, and the fact that he used her name made her abandon her struggles, right as the tube opened. She turned and ran for him, knowing that he was really in trouble-

The explosion rocked the building and was followed by a deafening roar. Ronnie hit the floor, coughing and choking on dust. The lights were gone, and the sound of rocks bouncing filled the silence after the roar. Dust? Light...

She dug out her light and shone it forward-

The was a new rock wall not three inches from her outstretched hand. For one greedy second, she was glad that she was safe, before she realized that Travis wasn't. "Travis!?" she croaked, listening. She coughed despite herself, then shouted, "Travis!"

Silence.

Tom targetted the robot on the right and gave it a lethal blast, hoping to hit the resonance for the metal alloy it was made from.

Click to reveal..

EM: Lethal Blast, drop M-Dex to avoid Virus = 7 dice, -1 for damage taken = 6 dice. Spend a Willpower as well.

(22:21:52) ChatBot: (Tom_Davies) rolls 6d10 and gets 10,7,3,1,6,10.

(22:22:17) (Tom_Davies): 3 sux +1 from Willpower = 4 sux

Base damage = [8]+6L +4 sux = [8]+9L

EDIT by ST: Damage after soak (8d10.hits(7)=5) = 5 net Damage

Click to reveal..

Health = Hurt (-1)

QP = 8/28

WP = 2/3

The Terminator-like machine to the right got hit by another invisible blast shaking and tearing it up from virtually inside. With a loud clanking sound it came to a halt before it collapsed into itself as metal and circuitry got destroyed by the lethal sonic blast.

Click to reveal..
One down one to go

Joshua watched as the two mutants were released from the machine. He moved to helped but was drawn away by the sounds of what sounded like gunfire. Adrian's call for Ronnie to help his sister went unheeded which spurred him into action.

Directing his 'helpers' to carry and surround Adrian's sister, "I got your sister! If your bulletproof like you said, now's your chance to prove it. I'll keep her safe till we get out of this mess. Now go and do your thing."

"Wait right here. I'll be back in a jif," he told the twins. He set them down gently and ran in the direction of the fire. He contemplated turning it on - totally on, but the last time he had done that, things hadn't worked out too well. He would wait.

Adrian turned the corner and saw the monster in the trapped in teh elevator, firing out into the force field. Doc looked like Death warmed over and Travis look pale and weak. The guy called Tom was ... Adrian wasn't sure what he was doing, but he looked like he might do it again.

Travis was still standing.

"Travis, were do you need me?"

Oh Shit! He was John Connor again. His limbs were sluggish and moved as if they were immersed in molasses. Something made him move at a glacial pace-be it fear or apprehension. It happened everytime he found himself in a chaotic situation- a self-imposed limitation in which his mind worked, but his body refused to respond. I am John Connor's left testicle, just before the foot strikes it.

He began to motion towards the General, within who he saw a glimmer of intelligence. Reaching out to touch the bleeding man should present no problem at all.

Click to reveal..

Touching Kevin and using QI. Dropping a die to avoid damage. -1 for injured= 5 die

(22:11:24) ChatBot: (Tim_Wiley) rolls 5d10 and gets 9,5,3,4,9

2 sux

Health: -2 (hurt)

WP: 4/4

QP: 10/28

Annalise nodded once. She focused hard, the nausea having evaporated once the engines shut down. Slowly the pinhole of darkness began to spread again. It wasn't going to be enough, the effort just wasn't enough, they were too far away.

Her strength Flagging badly she grit her teeth and kept pushing, giving one last showe with everything she had. "This has to work!" She could feel gravity distorting further around her, could feel her body weakening slightly as she tapped out every last erg of power in a final attempt to get them all home. The pinhole exploded into a two meter wide portal linking their current location to the school where she taught.

She dropped to her knees as her nose began to bleed from the exertion. Already the Virus's effects were manifesting, pain starting to wrack her body, even as she weakly managed to speak. "I believe someone ordered up a way home..." It was all she could say, her every bit of consciouness and strength focused on the Warpgate, holding it open just long enough for everyone to get back home, and fighting the virus that killed mutants who pushed too hard. It was her silent hope someone had the presence of mind to carry her home, because she didn't believe she'd be able to move on her own.

(ooc Spend 1 Wp to powermax

adding 1 to quantum score for 2 points

(00:38:54) ChatBot: (Grav) rolls 5d10 and gets 8,3,7,6,1. 2 success +1 WP= 3 successes + 4 from quantum = 7 total

7 success warp= 2,000,000 km Range.

Spent double qb to activate warp and avoid virus damage qp remaining 2/26))

Ronnie relaxed as she saw the warp go up. "EVERYONE OUT!" she bellowed, trusting that the General would hold, since he'd chosen to do that - and had done it so far.

She waited on this side of the warp - she wasn't going through without Travis.

Or Sly!

Or, apparently, Sly.

Travis sagged, exhaustion washed over him and combined with despair as he saw the robots recover from his attacks, Oh no ... A scream, like tearing metal, cut through the air and one of the robots crumpled, shredded, and collapsed. Way to go man ... Travis heard footfalls pound towards him, muffled by the ringing in his ears.

Originally Posted By: Adrian Moss
"Travis, were do you need me?"

Travis blinked his mind faltering under the stress and fatigue. Out of the corner of his eye he saw a distortion tear space asunder and suddenly the image of a rooftop could be seen through a doorway in the air. Travis pointed, "Kid, I think that's our ride home. Grab your sister. Grab the Q-tip chick. Get them through, get them safe." Travis looked down field, and saw Juno with the others. Crap, they need to retreat ... like now.

On weak legs Travis started to stumble forward, Leave no man behind ... not ever, no matter who ...

Adrian had just come around the corner when he took in the situation. The mutants, the terminator, his sister and ... there was someone else. She lay behind the terminator. Something deep inside his mind - his six year old mind - clicked and stirred.

The Kid ran up the the barrier and hit on it, to no effect. Turning he looked at Kevin and Tom.

"Tom, kill that thing. Doc, drop the barrier, I've got to save that girl!"

Adrian points to the back of the elevator where the third figure lies wracked with pain - the cyborg.

"It's important", he pleaded.

The first Terminator was still active and stopped for a second readjusting it's sights and took aim at Adrian. With guns flaring and a mechanical cackle it resumed its forward march unphased by it's inability to tear through Kevin's forcefield.

Click to reveal..
Forcefield holds against the Terminator's HV-Bullets. It's your turn again guys. I saved us initiative. Rest of the group at Grav can go through the portal anytime they want. Combatants please post each your action - but just once. Travis had his go already

Seeing the effect that his first scream had on the right hand robot Tom targets the one on the left and lets lose again. Then he waits to cover Adrian as he moves towards getting the figure at the back.

Click to reveal..

EM:Lethal Blast, dropping the M-Dex to escape the Virus = 7 dice, -1 for Hurt = 6 dice, +1 Willpower as last time.

(13:19:24) ChatBot: (Tom_Davies) rolls 6d10 and gets 4,7,9,6,2,3.

(13:20:03) (Tom_Davies): 2 sux +1 sux from Willpower = 3 sux

Base damage = [8] + 6L + 3 sux = [8] + 8L

ST EDIT: Damage after soak vs. Terminator#2 (7d10.hits(7)=2) = 2 Net damage.

Click to reveal..

Health = Hurt (-1)

QP = 5/28

Willpower = 1/3

The second Terminator got hit by the sonic blast and stumbled backwards falling over. It didn't destroy it right away like the first machine and it seemed to struggle to get back on it's feet.

Click to reveal..
Machine is crippled but not out. It is stunned for the following turn, though

The second machine was blown backward and Travis felt a glimmer of hope even as he saw Adrian go right for the enemy. "Dammit people, that hole isn't going to be open forever!" Travis himself was unsteady on his feet but he braced against the wall and prepared to dig deep and pull whatever energy he had left to cover their retreat if need be.

He's not going to make it, if things go bad. Tim realized what Kevin was doing and how to help the man. He was saving their butts. Tim could risk delaying his exit by returning the favor.

He shouted to the others. "I'll be there in a second!"

Click to reveal..

Healing 2 Lethal health levels to Kevin

health: -2 (hurt)

WP: 4/4

QP: 6/10

Savannah had let out a little startled noise as she was picked up.. but then, almost as quickly, she was set down, and her head was still spinning from everything that had happened. She glanced over at her brother, whom the person holding her had sat down next to her. For the first time in.. who knows how long.. she reached out, and touched his hand, squeezing it gently with her own and turning to him.

*I'm afraid, Siegfried.. what's going on? These aren't our captors..*

Tom shouts again at the remaining robot, surely it must go down this time?

Click to reveal..

EM:Lethal Blast, drop M-Dex dice to offset Virus

7 dice -1 for Hurt = 6d10

(18:52:08) ChatBot: (Tom_Davies) rolls 6d10 and gets 7,2,3,8,7,1.

(18:52:16) (Tom_Davies): 3 sux

base damage = [8]+6L+3 sux = [8]+8L

ST EDIT: Damage after soak vs. Terminator#2 (7d10.hits(7)=4) = 4 Net damage.

Click to reveal..

Health = hurt (-1)

QP = 6/14 - had forgotten main theme powers get -1 to QP cost smile

Willpower = 1/3

"Kevin," the Kid pleaded, "let me in."

By in, he obviously meaning the elevator. Why he wanted to get in was another question, but the time for question asking had passed with Annalise's heroic effort ... that they really shouldn't be wasting. Worse, there were three other bodies to move - Becca and the Aryan twins.

Why Adrian wanted to get into the elevator more than he wanted to get his sister to safety was odd indeed.

"Dammit! Grab those people and get moving for that ... whatever it is." Travis shoved off the wall and stumbled over to the twins. He grabbed the male under the armpits and started dragging him towards the warp. "Honey, the exit is right over there," he indicated with a jerk of his head, "I suggest you stumble, crawl, or whatever because only God knows how long that doorway thing is going to stay open." Travis tried to smile but he was tired and achy and worried that he was going to have to push himself further still to get the others home alive.

Ronnie grabbed the female twin and flipped her up into her arms. The tall purple-hued woman was obviously strong as she hopped through the warp and set her down, then was right back through. "Travis, go through with them," Ronnie said, grabbing the boy's legs and helping her partner lift. "I'll finish clearing people out."

"Fuck that. You and I know damn well that's not happening. I'm still on two legs and breathing, I can help." Travis set the young man down and realized he was sweating from the exertion, it would have been effortless if he could use his telekinesis but he was too tired to concentrate and so he was forced to use brute force, something he was neither accustomed too nor good at. Still he stumbled back through to the darkened facility behind Ronnie, "I think we might need to do this the hard way ..."

Kevin couldn't think clearly as the virus effected every part of his body, including his mind. One robot had been destroyed, and the other seemed to be out for the moment, but trying to get up. The bulletproof boy that he'd meet earlier in the clinic was wanting him to drop his forcefield, something about saving a girl. No one in there but bad guys...

Then he heard it, the portal was open. Time for a tactical retreat. Then something happened that had never happened before; healing powers flowed through him. The warming sensation filled him and lifted some of the fog from around his mind.

Then the other machine went down. The immediate threat was over, but if that cyborg got up, no telling what it may or may not try to do.

His healing merits a quick and heartfelt nod of thanks. Everybody else, however, get's a general's battlefield order. "Everybody to the portal, NOW! I'll cover our exit, but we have to GO NOW!"

His words to Adrian were somewhat softer, but not much. "Only people in that elevator are with the robots. They did this to us, leave 'em." We'll be back for them soon enough. They'll answer for this, one way or another...

Kevin took a couple of waivering steps backwards, ready to move the forcefield to the next most narrow spot, the hallway; once everybody was back behind him.

Click to reveal..
(( [Wounded -2] || 6/28 QP || 5/6 WP ))

He's making his way back to the portal, but he has to wait for Adrian and anyone else that's still by the entrance

"Stubborn asshole!" she snarled at Travis. But she didn't try to stop him - she'd rescue him if need-be.

Ronnie and Travis came trotting up and saw the situation. "General! She's a battery, not a pilot! She needs rescuing. Drop the field, the Kid can carry her!" Ronnie could carry them on her own if necessary.

And even if she isn't on our side, she doesn't deserve to die here, at our hand...

Adrian pushed slowly through the force field realizing that Tom's attacks had also passed through. Getting out would be another problem. He stumbled through the last bit of the way, but fell toward the cyborg. Quickly he picked her up and turned back toward the field.

"I know her. I don't know from were, but I know her."

How could he say it had been more than a decade? How could he make them understand he knew the face without all this ... filth committed to her. Why did he care?

"Drop the wall before the warp collapses!"

"Bite me," Travis replied to Ronnie. He focused on the pain and fatigue and forced them down and away. I can last long enough to see this through dammit.

Click to reveal..

Resistance roll to ignore pain

(16:56:25) ChatBot: (Travis_Kincaid) rolls 6d10 and gets 9,8,8,5,4,1.

Result = 3 sux

Endurance to resist fatigue

(16:56:29) ChatBot: (Travis_Kincaid) rolls 6d10 and gets 3,5,3,5,4,10.

Result = 1 sux

Hurt -1(ignored) / QP 0/28 / WP 1/3

EM: Shield is active total soak is now 23/21 vs physical (11/9 vs energy)

Juno stood where she was, near the force field, wavering between wanting to help, and wanting to get out. When Adrian grabbed the last girl, Juno nodded and went back to Rebecca.

"It's gonna be okay. Once that shield is down he'll be right here with us, but we've gotta go, ok?"

She pulled Becca towards the warp, keeping an eye on Adrian.

"Someone get that shield down!"

The others were taking off through the hole in Space-time. When Keving gave his orders, he ran to the edge of the portal and took one last glance at the place. I'll be back! He heard the Governator's voice loud and clear in his head. Without wasting any more time, he jumped through the portal.

Joshua was startled when Adrain took off towards the robots. Crazy dude I wasn't be serious when I said to prove your bulletproof. If he get's killed I don't want to be the one to tell his sister. He watches a moment longer and breaths a sigh of relief that the robots are blasted by Tom. Whew, he made it.

The girl Juno moved towards Adrian's sister and said something he didn't quite hear. Words of encouragement he hoped Joshua directed his 'helpers' to move Becca to the warp field that was their escape, with him following close behind.

The force field down, Adrian staggered toward the whole in reality. He stopped, looked for his sister but he didn't have to look far. Joshua was herding her through. Adrian waited for them to go first then followed. Hoping that the rest made it through, but unwilling to be so seperated from his ward, the Kid trudge on into ...

Sly waited a moment while the others moved through. He wanted a moment to scan the third guy in the elevator, the one that went down when the power went off. If he could get some useful info or even just get the feel for their mind he could perhaps find out something useful that would prevent people from having to come back.

Looking to Ronnie, "I'm going to try and scan that guy, drag me through if I don't come out of it before everyone is gone."

Click to reveal..

Spending a willpower for an auto success (dropped one die to avoid the viurs)

(19:09:45) ChatBot: (Sly_Fox) rolls 9d10 and gets 3,4,3,8,4,8,2,6,10.

4 total successes

Archived