Aberrant: 200X - Keiko (Appraisal)

Dave ST

Just an honest appraisal.

Quote:
** Note on Teleport

This may need some scrutiny. Basically she doesn't really teleport. She freezes time and moves normally to a new location, then restarts time. From an outside perspective she seems to teleport. But in game terms, she can't move to any location she couldn't get to on foot. She can't move through solid objects, or over water, or into the air. I probed a bit with more experienced souls to see what sort of weakness this might be worth, and came back with 3 levels. This was enough to buy the Combat Teleport Extra, which means she can freeze time just about instantaneously, which fits the theme. If it is deemed that this limit is not worth 3 levels...or that the strength/weakness combo is too much, I will make whatever adjustments are deemed necessary. Thanks.

Effectively the character would need to stop time, world wide. However, since she's only moving to places she can walk/run then she'd only need to stop time within that area. Two things came to mind. 1) Despite being 'teleport' it should be limited to only places she can move in a single turn, since the duration is instant it keeps the teleport and time stop all within the characters same turn. 2) Time Stop doesn't permit an area effect option until Q6, which seems like stopping time to TP would be out of the PCs capabilities.

Quote:
** Note on Healing

Temporal distortion that accelerates the normal healing process. Might be a bit of a stretch, though it seemed okay. Let me know if it seems too cheesy.

This sounds like aging, just seriously toned down a bit. I like it, it's a nice twist on the power. However, without Mega-Stamina (Adaptability) the character will eventually accelerate her body to point of death. Obviously this is dependent on how often she needs to heal herself.

Responses:

I'm not sure what to say to the thought of Time Stop with global area effect. That would be way more than I'm doing here. This is just a special effect for teleport. She can't interact with the world, save to observe it, or move through it...

Broken, you're absolutely right...which is why I replaced Healing with ESP. The ESP reflects her ability to scout around while the world is stopped. smile

More stuff!

After talking with some folks in chat, I propose a change to Teleport:

Keiko is limited to jumps of 500 meters or less (this is using the standard combat range of 100 meters per success, and using only the autosuccesses from quantum to determine range). She can only hold the 'frozen' state for long enough for her to traverse that much distance.

I'd rather not get into nuances like "what about going uphill or up stairs" and so on. Just to keep things sane. smile In most situations she won't be going -exactly- 500 meters anyway, so the specifics of how far she goes won't be an issue.

That, plus the ESP, will hopefully help answer reservations about the non-teleport applications of stopping time.

Thoughts?

The duration of Teleport is instant. Which means that she can't use ESP while 'walking' from one spot to the next. If it takes her five turns to walk 500 meters, that's not 5 free turns she's had to use ESP while to the world was stopped. You use TP, you move from point A to B. That's it.

Time Stop only affects a single target unless you have Area on it.

I like the idea, I just don't think a world wide time stop is a good idea. I'm not trying to bust your chops, but not even a Q10 PC can freeze the globe in place while they take a stroll.

No, the use of ESP is separate.

And her Time Stop is normal, affecting only a single subject.

In game terms all the powers function as written in the book, with the exception of the notes I took...which are all pretty much nerfs to the powers, not attempts to grab more.

Still, it's good to hear what other people think. If you guys really think the concept is unworkable, then I'll withdraw the character.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. smile

Originally Posted By: SalmonMax
In game terms all the powers function as written in the book, with the exception of the notes I took...which are all pretty much nerfs to the powers, not attempts to grab more.

Well see that pretty much sums it up nicely. If that's the case, rock on brutha man, rock on.

Well, mechanically it works just like the power in the book except it's a tich more limited. Rather than choose a viewpoint that she can see events as they transpire, she picks a view point that she can see a still frame of whatever events are in progress at the moment she begins using the power.

From her point of view time seems to stop. She then walks to the viewpoint that the ESP is working from, or uses some means to observe from that point in another way (via telescope, for example). She then returns to her original location and stops using the power.

The utility of this is that she can go into a room (with an open door) for example and see who's inside, or look around corners. With repeated uses, she could explore whole floorplans. A little pool intensive, but still useful.

Archived