Aberrant: 200X - Character Progression: An Amendment

Sampajanna

Well...it's that time of year. We've finally all received our four nova points, those of us that are somewhat active. And after spending them, I'm left to think...

Is this it?

It's too much if you're playing a baseline, 4 nova points every six months, because you're gonna be putting them in attributes and abilities, but for a nova...that gets eaten up fairly quickly. And you have to store that up just to progress on a level three power, which is five nova points to raise. I think that's kinda slow.

Now, I know I'm probably gonna be accused of powergaming just for bringing this up, but really, 4 nova points bianually is pretty fucking glacial character progression, in my mind. Maybe we can do something about that. Four nova points every three months strikes me as a happy medium. Thoughts?

Four every 6 was the agreed upon rate. If you have issue with that you should have said something six months ago.

Besides, Flicker is the boss and she's not around all that much, so getting it changed prolly isn't going to happen until she gets back anyway.

Besides... tripling the rate of progression reeks of power-gaming. Focus more on RP and less on power builds.

Originally Posted By: Revenant
Four every 6 was the agreed upon rate. If you have issue with that you should have said something six months ago.

I'm bringing it up now. No good Constitution is set in stone. How is this an issue?

Besides, Flicker is the boss and she's not around all that much, so getting it changed prolly isn't going to happen until she gets back anyway.

I could probably get ahold of her (whether she'd be interested is another matter), but that's beside the point. We still have Fox. I think.

Besides... tripling doubling the rate of progression reeks of power-gaming. Focus more on RP and less on power builds.

If you're serious I'm amazed that you can still believe this bullshit. No, it's not about getting a super-awesome build, it's about seeing my character grow. As it is he's growing at an incredibly slow rate, and I'm unhappy with that. Nothing more, nothing less.

If you're being facetious you needn't oblige me.

My bad on the math Santa's Pajamas, I went to public school in Da' Hood.

But I'm not being facetious about the increase. When this first kicked off everyone wanted something different. We couldn't give everyone what they wanted and this was the number that was decided on.

One of the focuses of 200X was slower progression so it didn't turn into a 2018 nightmare.

Couple of things to point out.

1. This is theoretically Nova's baby. If she says no, fine.

2. Nova has also not made more than 4 posts since May.

3. The intent of 200X may have been storytelling, as opposed to powergaming, but precious little of either has been going on. There's a pulse, brought about very recently by the efforts of a few to inject some life into a forum that died when the mods vanished. I understand that Fox is still here now and again, but it's a little unfair to expect him to carry it all himself.

If that sounds like vacillation, it is. Personally, I'm a little torn. On the one hand, I don't think it's reasonable that absent moderators for an "Open World PBP Game" should get to swoop in and make decisions or claim authority over a forum that they (and most of the players, at this point) have all but abandoned. On the other hand, real life creeps up on us all, and I also realize that a significant amount of work went into the forum's creation. It would be unfair to expect Nova to simply roll over.

If anything, I'd suggest a majority vote of the issue (since it's ultimately up to the players trying to keep it going whether it succeeds or not) and/or the appointment of new mods if anyone's interested and available to take the reins.

I've been playing City of Heroes for about three months, and it's been a lot of fun. However, it's starting to get repetitive, and I'd really like to get back to using all twenty-six letters on my keyboard instead of abusing W,A,S,D and the spacebar.* To that end, I'm prepared to drastically dial back my CoH play and get much more involved in 200X.

I re-read a lot of the threads from the formative stages of 200X earlier today, and I have got to say that I must have been absolutely out of my mind to have patiently put up with the right furious motherfucking that a few users saw fit to unleash on me for having the temerity to try to create something nice for my friends to enjoy. Hell, I even bent over backwards to allow one of the perpetrators to have the right to participate. I made it a point that rule one would be "don't be a dick-- dicks get kicked," and then never followed through. Never again. I'll come back and devote the full attention to 200X that it and my friends deserve, but if you are intent on not being my friend, then I advise you to GTFO right now, because your words will be as ephemeral as wisps of smoke in a hurricane.

In a separate thread I'll have a little to say about the state of 200X, including the other two MIA mods (Mr. Fox has talked to me recently, so I want to talk to him about his status, and I'm going to try to contact Seph), the census of authors, and the recent 4NP bump in the power cap.

This is not really a good opportunity to advance one's pet projects, proposed powers, amendments to the 200X Bible, or anything else. I'll have my hands full just doing basic housekeeping and getting my writing mojo working again, and I'd rather not deal with the controversy** that always accompanies a new idea on N! Prime.

I'm back. It's still my baby. I'm still listening to the writers. I still don't like a couple of you. Let's get our shit together and write some fun stuff and be friends. Whaddaya say?

(* Not entirely true-- I'm left-handed and play mouse and arrow keys, but gamers understand WASD more readily.)

(** Read: flamewars.)

Archived