Big Eyes, Small Mouth (BESM): Nexus Earth - Hotsprings Day three: Hotsprings Hijinx

Justin OOC

The morning was an uneventful one. It was the third day from their arrival and things had gone well. Today was unique in that the baths were fairly crowded this morning so everyone decided to hit the springs first. Kai was there before everyone else, and He was talking about something indistinct with the blue-haired man Lawrence recognized as Lancer. Kai was looking better since awakening the previous day, though he was still under orders from Dr. Kaunac to take things easy.

There was noise on the other side of the bamboo panel wall, splashing and the sounds of female conversation.

(Ok there are 2 men beyond Kai and Lancer in the spring already. All Male PC's are on one side, the females will be on the other.

This is really the first chance any of you have to talk to Kai when he's awake and talk amongst yourselves as the first days were spent getting situated and recovering from the battle. At this point Lawrence recognizes only Lancer in the spring, and on the other side Shizuru, Asia and a quartet of catgirls are already there along with a black-haired woman who was sitting fairly by herself.

Now post as you want and if you wish to listen to the the conversation on the otherside of the wall it's a mind check DC 12. Post and have fun, feel free to let off some steam that's what this is for.)))

Lawrence was second to make it to the Springs. He'd spent the first night and most of the second day with Asia. She was outgoing and fun, a lot of what Lawrence wished he himself could be. They'd even traveled away from the Hotsprings for a bit on the previous day as if they were going hunting. Lawrence had been feeling really good with the past few days, even though he was sure something deeper was going on than what he knew. Still, it was a relief to see Kai up and around.

Lawrence stepped towards Kai and Lancer, but stopped upon hearing the girls speaking. He looked around but realized there was a wall between them. He continued over and began listening in on the conversation with intent on joining in.

Kai had been saying how he was traveling with A really awesome young red-headed woman named Lily when Lawrence walked in, and Kai immediately stopped and turned to great Lawrence. "Hey Lawrence how have you been?"

It was a fairly energetic greeting from someone who'd nearly died about four days before.

Lily sat some distance from the main pool where the catgirls were. They were strange...like Hiroga, but not. She was curious about them, but at the moment she was MORE curious about something else. From the corner of the pool that she lounged in, not far from the bamboo screen, she could hear Kai talking to someone. She wasn't sure who. She didn't really care.

...yeah, the redhead. I've been traveling with her for a while now. She's just...aweso...

He cut off when the door over there opened, and more people came in.

Her cheeks flushed with both frustration and swelling pride, Lily sat still a moment longer, wondering what they'd talk about next.

Lawrence takes notice to the fairly chipper Kai, but didn't quite hear what they were speaking about previous to his entrance. "Kai, good to see you. I am okay. Sorry I didn't get a chance to see you yesterday, as I was otherwise preoccupied." His eyes glance to Lance for a moment, than back at Kai. "How are either of you?"

Kai smiles. "Im doing well, still kinda sore though."

Lancer nods at Lawrence's entrance. "I am well Lawrence, though I never did find a sparring partner. I heard you went hunting with Lady Asia yesterday. That's a fairly rare treat you know. She is a Clan Leader among the Ctarl-Ctarl. Few people can say they've hunted with someone like her, as opposed to by someone like her."

On the other side, the four catgirls blanche a bit as Asia sits there listening to her teammate slam her to the young man she'd spent alot of time with. Her only vocal response was "It's not worth getting kicked out over, it's not worth getting kicked out over..." As all the women could hear her knuckles cracking as she made a fist. This of course did little to disabuse anyone of the notion that what Lancer said was true.

Shizuru makes her way over to Lily. "So, how are you doing today? Any problems I should know about? You're starting to look a little flushed."

This mischievous glint in her eyes was there again, as if she had somehow read Lily's thoughts.

Lawrence blushed, but only because it was hard for him not to hear anything said on the other side of the wall. He had no reply for Lance so he quickly moved the topic of conversation to something else, wondering if they could hear him as well as he could hear them. "So, sorry. I didn't mean to disrupt your conversation." He said. "What were you talking about?"

While speaking, he could feel exactly how this place was effecting him. He was happier. His paralyzing fear of water had toned down a lot, and he felt like he had a lot more energy all the time. Maybe he just needed to keep his soul where it belongs, inside of him.

Georgi walked into the male baths after an intense morning workout and run. It was great respite for sore muscles. A group of men were clustered about the spring, and speaking in relaxed voice. When he saw Kai in the group, awake and in better spirits, he swiftly moved to his side.

"It's good to see that you are better." Georgi said, giving the young man a pat on the shoulder. "We were worried about you."

(Georgi, Shizuru is with Lily...I don't think a woman is tending to Kai in the men's area. :))

Lily jumps, so intent on the other conversations that she didn't hear Shizuru coming.

"What?!" she blurts...then realizing the jig is up, she grins a guilty grin. "No, I'm fine. Hey, did..."

Lily glances slyly at the bamboo barrier and lowers her voice.

"Did Kai say anything to you when he woke up?"

"Not particularly, only The usual "Where am I and what happened?" She chuckles. "And of course he did flatter me abit. Something along the lines of thinking I was a pretty young redhead. at least 2 decades younger than I am. I think he's got it bad y'know. The first word he said when he woke up was your name."

Everyone, even Asia and Suzuka laughed a little at that. "Yeah sounds like he's got it pretty bad."

Suzuka spoke next, her voice firm and and slightly haughty. "Come now Asia, are you any better with that little catboy you went gallavanting with yesterday?"

It's Asia's turn to blush as she reacts. "Welll, what can I say he's really cute. He's a whole lot of fun to be with too. He actually kept pace with me, something most men of any species can't do. I really have fun with him." There were alot of undercurrents in her tone, some warning, some playful, and one that could easily be construed as possessive.

Shizuru laughed again. and the the four catgirls in the spring started talking.

Michiru, the blonde started. "I just can't believe so many champions are present.

Hikari, the redhead continued. "Yeah this is the first the break the four of us have had since all of them showed up."

Artemis, the raven-haired one took things from there. "Well you do realize that Lady Asia and Lady Suzaku and Lily are all champions you two." Michiru and Hikari turned to look at the three champions, somewhate paler than they had been.

"Come on Artemis, you know that in the springs everyone is equal, especially in the springs." Akane spoke with a playful tone to the others.

She turned to the three Champions. "My apologies, but we don't get breaks to often, and the Springs are essentially the only place we can ever really go."

Lily blinks and refocuses on the other girls from a little daydream about waking Kai up and hearing him say her name...

"You know, I have to ask...this Champion thing. Is it all really just over this flower? How many champions are there? And if we win the flower, what do the archmages get out of it?"

Suzuka answers. "The Flower is nothing. Well nothing compared to the real prize, the Holy Grail. Archmages have vast power, but it comes with a price, as does all Magic. The Grail for one Wish, miracle, whatever you wish to call it, elimanates the price."

"As to why each Champion serves a Master, I'd say we all have things we want, and An Archmage can nominally grant them. Though I cannot answer for all the other champions."

"As to the exact number of champions, I'd say it varies depending on the power of the Master. My master can easily support a team of ten champions."

---------

On the otherside Lancer hears Suzuka and frowns.

"Suzuka talks to much at times. Not all of us have noble reasons for serving."

Valerie walked into the springs just like the night before, having fallen sleep tiredly, she woke up early and practiced on her Kyuudo awya from the Inn on targets in the mountain, once the sun had risen she had returned dirty, sweaty and a lot more relaxed.

Wanting to enjoy the springs with everyone else, Valerie gave herself a through scrub down with cold water before she allowed herself into the hot springs, removing all the dirt, dust, mud and sweat she had gathered on her trip. Walking to towards the hot springs enveloped in nothing but her towel she was surprised to see such a large number of women already partaking on them, not to be left behind Valerie jumped into the hot springs near Lily splashing water all over the place and easily making enough noise to be heard over the wall.

"Hiya Lily! Lady Kunaq! How are you this morning?" She was back to her joyful disposition as always sunny and radiant. "Want to grab some breakfast after this?"

[OOC:

Mental Roll to listen to the other conversation 17 + Any bonuses for Enhanced sense (Hearing)*2

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1708016/ ]

Kai nods to Georgi. "It's good to be awake again. Evidently i didn't miss too much though." he chuckles. My hat's off to whoever decided to come to the Hotsprings. I can't think of a much better way to recuperate than one."

Lancer nods too. "Amen to that Kai. Nothing beats a hotsprings after a hard battle, well almost nothing."

There's a leer in his eyes that foreshadows his next comment.

"Though now if this were a co-ed bath things would be even better. We've got some real lookers running around this place. I saw one yesterday, she had short grey-white hair, probably the cutest young girl I've seen in ages."

---------

Right behind Valerie came Ibis, her auburn hair framing her face as she climbed into the spring. "Now this feels good." only after a moment's relaxation does she speak again. She turns to Valerie. "You know I think some guy over there is talking about ya Val."

She smiles. "I wonder If Saito's made it the the springs yet..."

((OOC as long as you make the check you can hear what's said if you exceed it by 5 or more you can identify each speakier)))

"All you missed was a few days of relaxation in the hotsprings." Georgi chuckled, obviously relieved that Kai was better. "I hear the doctor here is quite skilled. I haven't had the honor of meeting her to thanks her yet."

The giggles and laughter of women in the room adjacent to their perked his curiosity. "The women seem to be enjoying themselves as well." He said to Kai. "I hear that one of them has taken quite the liking to Lawrence." He turns and winks at Lawrence with a big grin. "He'd better be careful or he'll have claw marks across his back."

Once again a few chuckles emanated from behind the partition. Georgi had to discover what was so funny. Putting his finger to his mouth, he moved closer to the wall and put his ear close to it. He mouthed the words as he pointed: "Hot naked women."

((Mind Check to listen:19 [heightened senses: hearing] didn't include Heightened Awareness..not sure if it applies))

"Valerie!" Lily yelps in greeting. She grins and splashes at the other girl as she comes over. "What is that, a towel? Underwater? It's not going to be much good drying off..."

Then, "Ibis!" She puts a finger to her lips when Ibis teases Valerie, and she says more quietly, "They don't know we're listening, don't spoil it."

She adds with a mischievous grin, "I could check to see if he's here if you really want."

Ibis nods. "Go right ahead. Though I'm sure a desire to sneak a peek at Kai doesn't even remotely factor into that offer." Her voice couldn't have contained more mischief if she tried.

She chuckles "I swear, all the boys in our group are attractive, even the Hiroga and Even Georgi, though he's a bit old for my tastes."

Then she notices something. "Shizuru, do you have a sister named Amane?"

At this Shizuru starts laughing, hard enough that she can barely answer. "I'll give one thing to your companions Lily, you all certainly know how to flatter a woman.. That or Amane looks far older than she is."

(((OOC yes it does Georgi all forms of enhanced senses that pertain to hearing do apply))

2d6 15=27 ((I was assuming I could hear everything with my +15, but I just rolled. Wow.))

Lawrence blushed slightly at the comment about him being cute. He was beginning to realize exactly how many women were on the other side of that wall, including Asia, servants, and cohorts. He didn't speak for several moments, than noticed that no one else on his side has spoken since Georgi put a finger over his mouth. The lack of words made him nervous that they might find out which began making him nervous about some other things. Namely, his fear of water. He'd been trying to ignore it, and had been doing so. But it was becoming too much. He liked being around the guys, but he had to stop.

"I need to go." Lawrence said. He wasn't sure if anyone knew about his fear and wasn't sure he wanted people to know. He started moving towards the exit. "Finding me shouldn't be hard." he said, on the verge of passing out.

Valerie blushed immediately at Lancer's talking and at Ibis pointing it out, harshly whispering "Cut it out!" to Ibis while throwing her wet towel in her general direction. "They might hear you!"

Valerie, now completely flushed ducked under the water up to her neck and went to sit besides Lily. Unfortunately for Valerie the removal of her towel reveled just how different her torso was from a human torso, what with the multiple scarring and the more obvious metal covers and implants, everything was flesh colored but the usual makeup had come off on the scrubbing before going into the spring, realizing this Val sank deeper into the water and tried her best to cover herself with her hands.

Shizuru's eyes quickly focus on the seams along Valerie's back as she tosses the towel at ibis and then damn near implodes into the water to hide them.

"I didn't even think about it the other night, but that does explains some things. "You're a cyborg."

Her comment is made so off-handedly, that it borders on disbelief. "She eases over to Valerie. "An astounding intergration of Young woman and machine. from what little I saw, your entire spinal column is artificial. I was unaware of any facility on Earth Prime that could do that." She was far from totally serious, but suffice it to say she was highly intrigued by Valerie now.

"Just where did you recieve those Cyberimplants Valerie?"

Ibis stood up from getting hit with the towel revealing her own toned body, and the pair of scars, one like a jagged tear in her right side and another just to the left of her navel. each was at least three inches in diameter. "Of course you realize this means war." she said playfully as she wadded the towel up and sent it flying back at Valerie.

"Those Implants aren't circinus, we just regrow what's damaged."

Valerie almost sunk deeper into the water when Shizaru spoke, trying to avoid the obvious spin the conversation took. "Of course this is war Ibis!" Val threw more water over to Ibis as she tried to ignore Shizaru's prying questions but she did give a single answer that might just bring more questions. "My mother made them, They are her parting gift." Valerie laughed as the water splashed her face and slid down her cheeks.

"I see. Well in any case if you have some time I'd like you to come by my office. It's nothing bad I would just like to continue this discussion later."

She gets splashed as the two younger women start a water fight and she joins in as well, splashing both of them. The four catgirls immediately jump into the fray, not to stop it but to participate. Suzuka sits alone quietly drinking what appears to be tea and chuckles. "honestly They all act like the children they are."

At that moment Asia sniffs the air. "That's odd, Lawrence seems to have left. Excuse me."

Kai nodded as Lawrence left. "We'll catch up to you later Lawrence."

She stands and gets out, seeming to not care about her nudity. She grabs a towel as she rushes inside after Lawrence. Just as he gets out of the door back intot he building she comes out clad only in a towel. "Already done in the Springs Lawrence?"

Her voice betrays a hint of concern. "It looks like something's wrong, Is there anything I can do to help you?"

As he was on his way out Lawrence grabbed a towel and waved a backwards hand, acknowledging Kai. He couldn't bring himself to look back. As proud as he was that he voluntarily went into a pool of water deep enough to be completely submerged into, he was still terrified. As he entered the door he was breathing heavily, and his mind was filled with terrible thoughts. It was so much that he didn't notice that Asia was anywhere near him. Until she spoke, anyway.

And as she spoke, he threw himself, back against the wall, obviously startled. He caught the towel moments before it abandoned his lower torso and was a calm a little when he noticed Asia. When he was about to speak, his eyes betrayed him to look at Asia's wet and barely clad torso. His cheeks grew to a rose color as he brought his eyes back up to her face. "Yeah, I.. "

He paused, wondering if she would like him less if he were afraid as something as simple as water. Things were going good between them, but there was no reason to put tension on that. "I don't know. I just don't like it much in there." He said, there obviously being more to the story. "Want to go grab some food?" This was him changing the subject.

"I'll meet you back here in a few." He said, wondering exactly how long it would take her to get ready. He took a deep breath to calm himself down, still leaning against the wall. He watched Asia stroll down the hallway, her tail swaying gracefully. He began moving once she was out of sight. He headed back to his room, walking around the springs in his towel and avoiding routes with very many people.

He equipped his clothes and nothing more than that. Surely they wouldn't run into trouble while grabbing a bite to eat. He rushed back to the hot springs entrance, only a few minutes after he left.

When Lawrence returns Asia is waiting in a green and white Kimono. "Shall we go? What are you in the mood for?"

----

In the spring, Ibis lobs the towel back at Valerie and hits Lily instead. "Sorry Lily" she says while chuckling. Shizuru looks to Lily. "Your secrets, beyond innate natural use of magic? Color me intrigued."

-------

On the other side Kai laughs. "Sounds like they're having fun over there."

Lancer nods. "You could always go peek. I won't tell."

"I just awoke from being hurt bad, I've no desire to look over that wall and getting blasted by at least two of the women there." I'll pass."

Lily peels the towel off of herself and hands it to Valerie with a mysterious shrug and smile. "Just girl stuff. Nothing as interesting as magic."

She quickly changes the subject then as well, "So Shizuru, what can you tell us about these archmages? What are they going to do with the power of this grail thing?"

Lawrence took a long look at her, using the time he was deciding to get comfortable being around her. "I haven't thought that far ahead, actually. I think I was just going to go and see what happened." He seemed nervous, but if yesterday was any indication he would lighten up soon enough. "Is there anything you wanted?" He said with a smile.

Shizuru stops. "I don't know. Theorretically they can cast any spell. or do any one thing. That includes saving or destroying the world."

Suzuka interjects before Shizuru continues. "Thus far no Archmage has ever successfully attained the grail, though Xellos has come close twice, and Arich almost had it last generation. Only failure of a Master Seal stopped him from getting it last time, so I've heard."

-----------

Asia looks at him appraisingly "Several things. though for now we can go see what's to eat in the main hall."

She took his hand and lead him to the main hall. There was a grand buffet that due to it being fairly early was serving breakfast. She grabbed a plate of sausage, bacon, eggs, several biscuits, and an entire pot of what looked to be coffee.

"Come on, grab your food, it'll get cold if it doesn't get eaten and with so many people not doing so well in the rest of the world, I can't in good conscience let good food go to waste."

Lawrence felt warm when she took his hand, but made him feel guilty about not telling her the truth about why he left the springs. Soon the guilt subsided, but only when he decided he would tell her. He took some food, following in the command. It struck him as odd, her comment. He was yet to see any suffering on this planet, although his stay had been short. His plate simulated hers, except he took juice. When they sat, he took a long look at her. He opened his mouth as if he was going to say something, than quickly shoved food in it. "Tell me about other parts of this planet" He requested before eating some eggs.

"I knew you weren't from here. You smell different, too clean." It was such a matter of fact statement and she pressed on as she ate, talking between mouthfuls.

"About a thousand years ago by the human calender A great Empire called Azar was shattered when the royal family was assasinated. Since that time, the Nine great Noble families of Azar have waged war for control of the nine Shards of Azar. Each family is lead in battle by a powerful Archmage, and each generation yields another one. For five hundred years The Archmages waged war themselves with armies of created creatures, dragons and everyone else."

About five hundred years ago they decided that an Archmage was simply too powerful to engage in combat and the population was on the brink of annihilation, thus each archmage was allowed to choose a number of champions to fight for a specified time each year. These champions fight in place of the archmage, and it's their duty to procure the grail for the archmage. This is where you and i come in. The marks on our shoulders are our Master's seals. Some champions have more than others, but the seal grants certain powers. If the Archmage is in need he may summon us from whereever we are by expending a seal. He may also use them to force us to do any command, even against our will. However the benefits of the Master's seal allow us to draw directly on the Archmage's power to accomplish our mission."

She smiles. "I'm guessing you never got told that, but it's ok. I'll get one of the others to fill you in on all the particulars."

"The Shards are all west of us. The mountain country around us belongs mostly to the Dragons and dragon-blooded. In the foothills bordering the moutains you have my people, the Ctarl-Ctarl. Because we look less human than other races, we're generally disregarded, even though we helped found the Azar Empire millenia ago. People have forgotten our power, and disrespect us. In some shards they actively hunt us as monsters."

He could eadily hear the anger in her voice. My Father died trying to make peace with the humans inhabiting the shards, on his knees, as a champion for Arich, who abandoned him, rather than support a beast of ctarl blood."

"My people go hungry, forced as we are to live only in the woods, and mostly on the move. We wanted peace, and respect. We got murder, and persecution. I became the sword of my people, waging my own war against the humans who hunted us."

There's a fire in her eyes that lights up as she speaks. "Eventually Lord Xellos found me and offered me a better way. He said he knew my father, even though he served another master, and that he was a truly noble man. He then guaranteed that my people will be respected, that they shall never go hungry if I serve him in this Grail War. that's the reason he has my fang and claw at his call in this war, and why he marked me with five seals."

She pauses to let him digest what she just said.

He listened, and it took his mind off of being guilty. He scarcely filled his mouth with food while listening, looking into her eyes for almost every moment of the story. He mouthed the name 'Arich' as she said it, trying to remember where she had heard the name from. All the names seemed so familiar, but wasn't sure when or where he'd heard the names. They must've all been in passing.

When she stopped speaking, he felt like he had to say something. It was a lot to take in. "I crashed here, something pulled my ship out of space. It must have been.. Lord Xellos? Was that his name?" He waited for a moment. "My friends are serving Arich, I think. But since im on your team, does this mean we're going to have to fight my friends?" He seemed a little scared, but overall was taking the idea of all of this rather well. He was silently committing to helping Asia with her cause. He reached a hand out to her, offering her to hold it if she continued.

"It's very likely Lawrence, and even though we don't need to fight to the death, we may be forced to kill them." She holds up her right hand and allows him to see the command seal on the back of it. before taking his hand. "These seals are of the highest order of magic. It's virtually impossible to disobey their call. It is my hope that we won't have to fight. If your friends would simply submit I'm sure a fight can be avoided."

"You have only one seal though, unless there are more I haven't seen. he can only summon you once, or command you once. I still have three of my seals."

She smiles. "Now onto the other side of the coin. On the eastern slope of the mountains we have the Land of the Seven Stars. Feudal lords keep highly trained warriors and the fight major wars there. Suprisingly they have little Magic there, and it's all about brute combat ability. I've long thought about relocating my people to the other side, but the trek is difficult, and the children may not make it.

They have no care as to your origin in the Stars, battle ability determines rank, and victory determines prestige and honor. There are times I wish I had been born there instead of as a Ctarl-Ctarl."

She brings his hand to her lips and gives it a single lick. "Though these last few days I haven't thought that way. I'm quite happy I am who I am." Her voice was almost a purr as she spoke.

Lawrence smiled at her, taking the implication that he was actively improving her opinion about her life. He felt a little selfish, being happy that she was happy.

"I hate water." He said, seemingly out of left field. "I'm afraid of water, because it is the only thing that can kill me." He took her hand, as she did to him, and licked it as she had done to him. He let her hand go with a smile and took another bite of eggs.

"So that's why you left the Springs." She continues to eat, blushing abit as he returns her display of affection.

"To be honest I don't like the Springs much either. I go because my comrades go. I much prefer an nice private sauna, or perhaps the company of a nice, cute young man..."

There was little masking her meaning in her tone of voice.

"perhaps you'd like to join me Lawrence. We can relax, and relieve some of the tension this morning's dip in the spring caused."

"But we don't have any way of knowing what Arich will do with it?" Lily asks, her brow furrowed. "Or Xellos. Or anyone. It seems like...who could really be trusted with that kind of power?"

Then she doubletakes and looks at Shizuru. "Saving the world? From what?"

"Some S-rank spells can annihilate the world easily, and most Archmages if given the time and resources can cast them."

"It is said that we owe the state of the world to the power of the grail, but I really don't know. The power of the grail can literally rewrite reality. As to who can be trusted with that sort of power, that's all for each of you to decide."

Archived