Mutants and Masterminds: A Song in Time of Revolution - Prologue: Winds

Originally Posted By: SalmonMax

"If it helps any, kids called me that and I didn't even get any super powers out of the deal. I'd say you're way ahead of me.”

Valerie grinned broadly, “That’s because you are a Freak, Daniel”.

Then her mood instantly took a turn for the worse, “I was scared to death when they chased me, Daniel. I thought I would die.”, she put the apple to the side suddenly feeling not hungry anymore.

Whatever Daniel said about Olivia didn’t seem to reach her as she stared at the floor struggling with her emotions.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Daniel closes the refrigerator door and turns to give his little sister a hug. He hadn't really heard the details of Valerie's experiences before. She hadn't volunteered much, and it had seemed crass to pry. He figured she'd say more when she was ready. And maybe, in the bottom of his heart, he'd always kind of hoped she never would be...because as important as it was, the idea of his Valerie being in that kind of situation was both enraging and will-sappingly horrible.

But for now he could focus on comforting her, and that was fine.

"I'm sorry I wasn't there," Daniel says, still hugging her. "I won't let you down again."

"It wasn't your fault, Daniel. It is not your fault that people hate me.", she swallowed down a huge gulp of mixed up emotions and forced herself not to cry. As they embraced a few tears ran down her cheeks and she hoped he wouldn't notice.

"How could I ever blame you, Daniel? You're the only one who has ever taken care of me.", trying to divert his attention she slid of the work space releasing herself from the embrace and went to her rucksack without having actually any intention of getting anything. Taking her celular out she checked it for any messages or missed calls. "So Olivia and you are really getting serious?"

Originally Posted By: Vixen
Roxanne stares at the spatial warp, running a hand nervously through her white hair. I don't have a clue. Slowly she sat down on the bench.

Okay. Just observe. Just observe. It stops at the city boundaries so possibly it's a created thing. Made by someone. So I need to figure out who made it and why, if that's the case... and if it's not created then there has to be a reason it's stopping in such a specific spot -

Roxanne stands. "Oh hell." She looks up. "I could always..."

Do the impossible.

"Yeah." Roxanne sets her shoulders. She walked into an alleyway, took care to make sure no one was observing her... and changed.

Her head changed shape, her ears growing pointy and furry and migrating up her head. Her nose and jaw elongated and her teeth sharpened. Her body grew fur, and she sprouted a trio of foxlike tails. Her clothing changed shape as well, into a red and gold oriental dress.

She looked up, and left the Earth behind, traveling upwards slowly. She wasn't that fast when flying, but she could be patient. And once she was high enough she could figure out if the anomaly stretched over top of the city as well, or just what awaited her up there.

As she flew, she tried not to think of all the laws of the universe she was violating. She was on shaky ground already.

And then she wasn't on any ground at all.

The atmosphere got thinner, and still the strange sight stretched out before her. It was even more distorted-looking up at this height, presenting her with a twisted and warped view of what she supposed the sky might look like on the other side of the anomaly.

And still it stretched on. It didn't seem to...curve back in on itself, but it went on for as high as she could easily determine, perhaps out of Earth's atmosphere altogether.

Also, the air seemed to be...humming. Like a power generator.

"Well I guess i have no choice." Abel paused a moment and opened his mind to the minds of those around him. He walked on around the area, reading the thoughts of everyone he came across, trying to discern if anyone knew anything more about what was going on. After a couple hours of nothing more than the normal thoughts of normal people.

After awhile he turned his abilty on trying to find a mind beyond the barrier surrounding the city. "Well let's see if this idea works."

Originally Posted By: Velocity
"It wasn't your fault, Daniel. It is not your fault that people hate me.", she swallowed down a huge gulp of mixed up emotions and forced herself not to cry. As they embraced a few tears ran down her cheeks and she hoped he wouldn't notice.

"How could I ever blame you, Daniel? You're the only one who has ever taken care of me.", trying to divert his attention she slid of the work space releasing herself from the embrace and went to her rucksack without having actually any intention of getting anything. Taking her celular out she checked it for any messages or missed calls. "So Olivia and you are really getting serious?"

Daniel frowned at the people hating her remark, but decided not to push it for now. People had tolerances for how far they'd go all at once, and Val seemed like she'd reached hers.

"Serious enough," he said, taking some bread out of the fridge for sandwiches. "We're not rushing things, but I think there's something real between us. Something substantial."

Which was kind of ironic then, wasn't it, that the one secret he'd kept from both Valerie -and- Olivia was something insubstantial.

Why don't you tell them? It was an old question. Tell Valerie at least. She wouldn't feel so alone. Yes, but; yes, but... Then she'd be constantly hounding him to go public, bemoaning that HER powers didn't make keeping it a secret possible, and could he really trust motormouth Val to keep it secret even if she didn't think he should?

And Olivia. He had no idea how she'd take it, and that worried him. She seemed more or less fine with Val, so he didn't think she was prejudiced, but that was a whole other level of intimacy too.

And more than that, he didn't want his life to be defined by these 'powers.' He didn't want people to say, "Who? Oh yeah, that guy with the powers." It seemed silly, maybe...even to himself...but there it was. If he was going to achieve any kind of notoriety, he wanted it to be through his art, not his metahumanity.

Valerie nodded and smiled. „I’m glad you’ve found someone like her. I think she is really special. I would hate seeing you end up like dad.”

She came back to him and took some more stuff out of the fridge without really noticing what she was doing. “So you think I should go back to school? I would if you insisted. I’d go for you.”

Well, I can't go all the way up into space. At least I don't think I can. She looked downwards, wiggling her toes as she hovered in midair.

She sighed, and headed back downwards. Okay. There has to be something I can do. If this... warp, doesn't go away people are going to start panicking. She scratched the back of her neck. We might have riots. Or worse.

Once she landed, she changed herself back to normal, and then walked out of the alleyway she'd landed in, trying to think of who she'd contact, if anyone.

Originally Posted By: Velocity
Valerie nodded and smiled. „I’m glad you’ve found someone like her. I think she is really special. I would hate seeing you end up like dad.”

She came back to him and took some more stuff out of the fridge without really noticing what she was doing. “So you think I should go back to school? I would if you insisted. I’d go for you.”

"Well," Daniel said, "I'd rather you were doing it for you...but you'll still benefit if you do it for me, so I can live with that. Yeah, I want you to go back to school. I know it's rough, so you have to tell me what I can do to help."

With great effort he managed not to reach for his phone; to stay focused on his sister. Talking about Olivia made him think that it'd been a fair amount of time. Really, probably not, right? But what if there'd been trouble? He'd call as soon as Valerie was taken care of.

“I think you can’t help me, Daniel.”, sighed Valerie, “At least not at school. That’s something I have to deal with myself. I just wished I could go somewhere else and start over. The others at school just keep harassing me and I don’t want to be in the same room with the people that… that.”, Valerie didn’t finish the sentence and stared at floor unable to speak as a huge lump formed in her throat.

Taking a deep breath she sighed heavily and swallowed it down. Trying to change the subject she asked, “Olivia is taking too long… doesn’t she?”

Ryan

It was easily the strangest thing he had ever seen. Standing there, at the edge of the anomaly...he could see a bent, warped version of the other side of the city, as though through a cracked mirror or the surface of a lake where a stone had just been thrown. The creepiest part was that though the mirror-city moved more or less like he supposed the other side of the city was moving...it was dead silent. The shapes moving in the warped reflection made no sound whatsoever, and no scent touched her nose. This was...something else.

A few yards away an orange blur launched into the air and became lost among the fractured clouds, before tumbling back down and out of sight a moment later.

Originally Posted By: Abel Cross
"Well I guess i have no choice." Abel paused a moment and opened his mind to the minds of those around him. He walked on around the area, reading the thoughts of everyone he came across, trying to discern if anyone knew anything more about what was going on. After a couple hours of nothing more than the normal thoughts of normal people.

After awhile he turned his abilty on trying to find a mind beyond the barrier surrounding the city. "Well let's see if this idea works."

Nothing. Absolute, silent void such as he'd never felt even in his own head. The longer he concentrated on it, the longer he thought he heard something, or felt something...a rustling, like bits of aluminum foil rubbing together in his mind. But was this a mirage? Or a clue?

You're getting nowhere fast. It was the first thing that the necklace had said to her since she'd started walking.

Olivia rolled her dark eyes, tilting her head back and nearly knocking herself over. Her center of balance was all messed up by this body, and she stumbled forward to catch herself. "I can only walk so fast," she grumbled, flinching at the voice she heard rumbling out of her.

But you can run much faster, the necklace said.

"How much?" Olivia asked suspiciously.

Run, and learn.

Sighing, Olivia broke into a jog. She didn't see to be making too much time, but she was running faster. Her legs were longer and she felt as though this is what they'd been made for: long loping gaits across ground.

Well, this was going well. She pushed harder, opening up her stance and going all out.

The buildings began to blur past her. Olivia gaped and failed to turn. The building connected with her and she sprawled, falling backwards. For a second, she just lay still and groaned, trying to decide if she should move or wait for the ambulance. That was when she realized she didn't hurt.

"Wow," she whispered, hopping to her feet. With a grin, she took off running again, careful to watch where she was going. "Woooooooooooooooooow! Whooo-hooooooooooooooo!" she screamed as the buildings turned into a single blur and the wind roared past her. After a moment of goofing around, she turned her feet toward the edge of the city. Time to figure out what was going on.

Ryan scratched his head, Hmm, if this was just a spatial loop sound would travel normally I think, course I haven't tried that yet ... still this seems odd. Maybe I should try and push through it, see if I come out on the other side of ... what was that? Ryan watched as something shot up into the clouds only to come back down again shortly thereafter. Deciding to check it out he ran the few yards to where he thought he saw the "whatever-it-was" land. "Hello? Are you OK?"

"What the hell?" The sensation was so odd it prompted a small outburst, and he resolved to not do it again here. He checked his watch and saw he still had an hour to kill before he was supposed to call, so he decided to see if things were truly the same everywhere.

He made his way back to the Jeep and trekked across town silently, Idly scanning a few minds to just for kicks.

Ryan stepped closer and offered the woman his hand, "Here, let me help you up. What happened?" Ryan helped her up and with a quick glance around he located a bench. "Here, there's a bench over there so can sit and recover." He helped the woman to the bench and sat her down. "Can you recall what happened? All I heard was a sound and when I turned I saw you there," he lied. No need to alert her to what you saw. Not just yet.

"Well, it's not exactly ideal out there," Daniel hedged...then shook his head, defeated.

"I'll just...it's okay to be a little worried," he decides verbally, as if challenging Valerie to disagree. He gets out his cellphone and defiantly dials Olivia's number, already rehearsing what he's going to say.

It was weird to feel the creeping numbness grow as he neared the anomally, but just as he prepared to turn back someone's thoughts about their father's car or the fact it wasn't cut through the fog and peirced his brain.

He latched onto that thought with the tenacity of a pitbull. He saw memories of a traumatic car accident, worry over what's going on and a strange anomaly in the sky. He followed the trace to where the mind was and found a young white-haired lady standing with some other people.

Before he could think better of it He thought "You're quite special you know." Only after it was there did he realize he'd just broadcast it to the young woman he was looking at.

There was a momentary flash of relief as the young woman failed to trace his thoughts back to him. Then he made a decision.

No you aren't. Well not in the way you mean. As I said you're special because your mind cuts through the mental fog around the anomaly creates, I'm curious as to how that's possible.

He sends clearly, knowing the longer the thought he sends the easier it is to trace him, at least when he's not being stealthy about this. For the first time a small part of him wants to be found.

Ryan looked around, "I didn't say anything, and well, we're pretty much alone." He looked over at the anomaly, "Yeah I came here to get a look at it too. My family lives in St. Louis, I'm wondering if or when I'll see them next." And I can't believe that I am actually worried about just that. "My name's Ryan Jackson. What's your name?" Ryan offer her his hand in a freindly gesture.

Olivia's cellphone went unheard as she ran. The wind whipped past, caressing her foriegn body. But the exhiliration of running was incredible. But even that wonder was overwhelmed by her awe at the barrier surrounding the city. Olivia slid to a stop and looked up. "Wow," she muttered. Taking a deep breath, she extended her hand and lightly touched it.

In Olivia's apartment, Daniel frowned. He redialed. He shut the phone.

"Okay, Val," he said. "I'm pretty sure I know where she's headed. I'm just going to jog out there and make sure everything's okay. I need you to stay here so if she calls you can pick it up and call me on my cell, all right?"

He looked down at his kid sister, then hunkered down a bit himself, to be on level with her.

"And I know you're tough and you can come with me. This isn't just Daniel being your big bro and trying to protect you." He grimaced, unable to keep his mounting worries off his face. "I need you to be here, in case she calls, or someone else calls...so you can call me. Otherwise she could be stuck somewhere and we'd never know."

He stood back up again.

"I'll call in a few minutes to let you know I'm ok."

Valerie frowned obviously disagreeing with Daniel’s decision. “But I can…”, she started but then just turned around. Every fibre in her rebelled against his words but she had no choice. Defying him wouldn’t get her anywhere.

“Take care Daniel… and find her.”, she didn’t look up at her brother and wished she could do more than just wait. She didn’t like waiting…

"I will." Daniel leaned over to plant a smooch on Valerie's forehead. "You're the best sister ever."

Then he was out and down the hall to the elevator...no, wait, there were probably cameras in there. Stairwell? No! Think! He couldn't change in here anyway, because he'd have to go out through a window and he couldn't take the cellphone that way. Crap, could he even carry his cellphone when he was like that?

On foot then. Daniel got in the elevator and rode it down impatiently. He ran out the front doors of the building. He -sprinted- the two blocks to the grocery store, pausing to look for emergency vehicles or signs of havoc. There were some crowds gathering in parking lots, but no mass panic that he could see. These people had already fled home. Where was there left to go?

He started to feel a bit better. It wasn't as bad out here as he'd expected. Maybe her phone's batteries were just dead or something. Speaking of which...

Daniel opened his phone and dialed Olivia's apartment. When Val picked up he said, "Hey, just me. I'm just about to the store now. It's not so bad out here though. She's probably just tied up in a line. I'll give you a call when I find her."

As he talked he shaded his eyes and looked at the shimmering sky.

Abel began walking toward her continuing the conversation in her mind. "As to the mental fog, just as the area beyond the boundary is barred from our access, so are the minds of those on the other side. I can the thoughts of others, and if need be, send my own to them, as I am doing to you now. My name is Abel since you asked. May I ask to whom I am speaking?"

His mental voice exudes immense charm, while he has moderately invaded her mind, he also trying to be as calm and polite about things as he can be.

Originally Posted By: SalmonMax

Daniel opened his phone and dialed Olivia's apartment. When Val picked up he said, "Hey, just me. I'm just about to the store now. It's not so bad out here though. She's probably just tied up in a line. I'll give you a call when I find her."

Valerie's "but" never reached Daniel because he had already hung up. Staring angryly at the phone she was tempted to smash it on the table but decided against it. If she was at home the phone would have been in a lot of trouble but this wasn't hers and she respected Olivia's stuff.

Great! This is like being grounded. I'm not a helpless kid anymore, why doesn't he notice?

Originally Posted By: Abel Cross
Abel smiles as he walks up to within about five meters of Roxanne. "I'm right here."

Ryan gives Able a look that might as well say, Yes you are and who the heck are you? Before he can react or say anything Roxanne and the mystery man continue.

Originally Posted By: Vixen
"He's Ryan, and we just met. I need a seat." Roxanne shakily sits down on a nearby bench.

Ryan extends his hand, "And you are?"

Ryan nods, "Can't speak for Roxanne but I came to have a look-see. My parents don't live in the city, in fact I'm kinda new here and now apparently cut off from the rest of the world somehow. It's a little worrying."

Ryan turns and looks into the writhing maelstrom at the edge of the city, "You don't suppose that this could be caused by those paranormal folks do you? Like some kind of invasion or something?"

Archived