Adventure! RPG: Dark Tidings - Chapter 1: The Long Night

jameson (ST)

Daphne became very serious. She examined each gem closely without touching them, lowering herself until her eyes were on a level with the gems. She stared for several minutes, then touched three of the stones. Next she bent over them, sniffing softly. Finally, she pointed to one, about twenty-two carats. "That one," she said firmly. "That the right one."

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally Posted By: Dr. Raphael Bradford

Arch and Ben meanwhile parked the car in Chinatown, it would be easier to read the signs and ask the people on the street from the sidewalk as opposed to the car. Arch took the lead, knowing of a seller who might have what they were looking for. Minutes later they stood inside the dark and odorous shop of one Chin Li Fook. Mr. Fook greeted them in heavily accented English, “Goo’afta noon, how I hep you?”

Over in Chinatown….

Arch makes his way to the counter “Hey there Mr. Fook, I have some items I need to acquire and your shop here is at the top of a very short list on having those items I need.”

Fook is quick to respond, “Ahh yessa sir I hava, plenty stuff yousa need. Holding up some items, "Here ah Tiger penis, good for boom boom with ladies.” Holding up a hand, Arch says, “Don’t need any of that, how about some powdered buffalo horn, and some nightshade? I think I see some over there on the back shelf?”

Originally Posted By: Dr. Raphael Bradford

Arch and Ben meanwhile parked the car in Chinatown, it would be easier to read the signs and ask the people on the street from the sidewalk as opposed to the car. Arch took the lead, knowing of a seller who might have what they were looking for. Minutes later they stood inside the dark and odorous shop of one Chin Li Fook. Mr. Fook greeted them in heavily accented English, “Goo’afta noon, how I hep you?”

Over in Chinatown….

Arch makes his way to the counter “Hey there Mr. Fook, I have some items I need to acquire and your shop here is at the top of a very short list on having those items I need.”

Fook is quick to respond, “Ahh yessa sir I hava, plenty stuff yousa need. Holding up some items, "Here ah Tiger penis, good for boom boom with ladies.” Holding up a hand, Arch says, “Don’t need any of that, how about some powdered buffalo horn, and some nightshade? I think I see some over there on the back shelf?”

Mr. Fook nods and gathers up a handful of the nightshade. "Wewy poison, be of great care. What kind horn?" Arch indicates the buffalo horn and Mr. Fook takes it down and pulls out a saw and a grinder. "Good, good. You make woman wewy happy! How much you need?" He sets to work and saws off a chunk of the horn weighing it in an old fashioned balance. As he grinds the horn into powder he asks, "What else? You need anyting else?"

Mr. Fook nods and gathers up a handful of the nightshade. "Wewy poison, be of great care. What kind horn?" Arch indicates the buffalo horn and Mr. Fook takes it down and pulls out a saw and a grinder. "Good, good. You make woman wewy happy! How much you need?" He sets to work and saws off a chunk of the horn weighing it in an old fashioned balance. As he grinds the horn into powder he asks, "What else? You need anyting else?"

Originally Posted By: Catori
"I'm sure they will.", said Catori without looking at the count. "I have a good feeling about that. Are we done here?"

"With the stone in hand and the bill paid up, I'd say we are done," he responds with a grin. Janos pulls the address from his pocket. He looks at it before handing it to Catori. Quietly, he adds,
"Thats were we need to go for the magnet and the two iron rods. Personally, I think we are going so fast we can also get the blessed water from a nearby church."

Originally Posted By: Catori
"I'm sure they will.", said Catori without looking at the count. "I have a good feeling about that. Are we done here?"

"With the stone in hand and the bill paid up, I'd say we are done," he responds with a grin. Janos pulls the address from his pocket. He looks at it before handing it to Catori. Quietly, he adds,
"Thats were we need to go for the magnet and the two iron rods. Personally, I think we are going so fast we can also get the blessed water from a nearby church."

Daphne looked suddenly nervous. She waited until they were outside before she said, "At church, will stay in car with Spot. He be upset near holy place. Other side, you know." She chewed on a lip and tugged at the seam on her pants.

Daphne looked suddenly nervous. She waited until they were outside before she said, "At church, will stay in car with Spot. He be upset near holy place. Other side, you know." She chewed on a lip and tugged at the seam on her pants.

Ben took the moment to pipe up. "<Actually, honourable sir,>" he said in perfect Mandarin, "<We have another request. We are looking for a candle, but a very special candle. One made with the ash of ancestors. Perhaps you have one? Or perhaps you know of someone else who can help us find one? It's very important that we find one...>"

Ben took the moment to pipe up. "<Actually, honourable sir,>" he said in perfect Mandarin, "<We have another request. We are looking for a candle, but a very special candle. One made with the ash of ancestors. Perhaps you have one? Or perhaps you know of someone else who can help us find one? It's very important that we find one...>"

Mr. Fook gave Ben an odd look and then laughed, "You speak Mandwin well but you speak Sichuan?" He quickly rattles off something in Sichuan Chinese, "Yes, I may indeed have what you are looking for. Very expensive and very dangerous. These candles are not common use. You intend white magick? Necromancy? I'll sell them to you but do not remember where you found them." Returning to English he says, "Wait he-ah."

Mr. Fook goes into the back of his shop leaving Arch and Ben alone within the myriad of bizarre holistic and herbal ingredients. After a while out of the back Mr. Fook yells, "How many need?" He then returns with a small parcel wrapped in white cloth. He gently sets it down on the counter and peers about his shop before opening one end to show the grayish black waxy rods contained within. "Horn cost ten dolla, nigh'shade tree fity, and dis," he pats the bundle, "Dis cost you sewendy fife. You need anyting else?" Mr. Fook's eyes and voice are grave, the candles betray their intent even if they do not explicitly state their purpose.

Mr. Fook gave Ben an odd look and then laughed, "You speak Mandwin well but you speak Sichuan?" He quickly rattles off something in Sichuan Chinese, "Yes, I may indeed have what you are looking for. Very expensive and very dangerous. These candles are not common use. You intend white magick? Necromancy? I'll sell them to you but do not remember where you found them." Returning to English he says, "Wait he-ah."

Mr. Fook goes into the back of his shop leaving Arch and Ben alone within the myriad of bizarre holistic and herbal ingredients. After a while out of the back Mr. Fook yells, "How many need?" He then returns with a small parcel wrapped in white cloth. He gently sets it down on the counter and peers about his shop before opening one end to show the grayish black waxy rods contained within. "Horn cost ten dolla, nigh'shade tree fity, and dis," he pats the bundle, "Dis cost you sewendy fife. You need anyting else?" Mr. Fook's eyes and voice are grave, the candles betray their intent even if they do not explicitly state their purpose.

"<That will be all, Mr. Fook, and thank you for the effort>" Ben replied in excellent Sichuan, peeling off and then handing over three crisp $50 notes. Always leave them surprised was not Ben's motto, of course, but he couldn't resist an opportunity to show off. "<You may keep the change, if we both agree to a lapse in memory. I thank you for your services, although that is by far the most I've ever paid for nightshade, I'll have you know. Were my requests not so serious I would never pay so much!>"

It's not like Ben didn't have the money, and it wasn't that he wasn't willing to pay that much, but that was quite an exorbitant price for Nightshade, even in Boston, and he felt it was important to let Mr. Fook know that he knew it too. With such important business resolved, Ben made to walk out of Mr. Fook's store, motioning for Arch to follow.

"<That will be all, Mr. Fook, and thank you for the effort>" Ben replied in excellent Sichuan, peeling off and then handing over three crisp $50 notes. Always leave them surprised was not Ben's motto, of course, but he couldn't resist an opportunity to show off. "<You may keep the change, if we both agree to a lapse in memory. I thank you for your services, although that is by far the most I've ever paid for nightshade, I'll have you know. Were my requests not so serious I would never pay so much!>"

It's not like Ben didn't have the money, and it wasn't that he wasn't willing to pay that much, but that was quite an exorbitant price for Nightshade, even in Boston, and he felt it was important to let Mr. Fook know that he knew it too. With such important business resolved, Ben made to walk out of Mr. Fook's store, motioning for Arch to follow.

Mr. Fook laughs, "It be cheepa if you no buy candles! Want to poison mistess? Cost you one dolla twenty five cent. But I know what you doing ... you pay moah for dat!" Hr takes Ben's money and sticks it into his pocket as they leave the store. He watches them go, his eyes wary as they walk out, worry lines his face despite the grin as he rubs the money in his pocket between his fingers.

Mr. Fook laughs, "It be cheepa if you no buy candles! Want to poison mistess? Cost you one dolla twenty five cent. But I know what you doing ... you pay moah for dat!" Hr takes Ben's money and sticks it into his pocket as they leave the store. He watches them go, his eyes wary as they walk out, worry lines his face despite the grin as he rubs the money in his pocket between his fingers.

The sergeant palms the wad but takes a discreet look at it quickly counting bills off. Thirty-five dollars in smaller bills. He tucks the money into his pocket and smiles. "Why thank you for the information Ms. Foster, we'll have some officer's shut down the wharf immediately and put a call in to the city's safety inspector. It would be a tragedy were these claims of structural damage not investigated and an accident happened." He calls back to a couple of the men behind him and tells them to head down and close the wharf down until the safety inspector can give it the thumbs up.

Turning back to Mia he says, "That'll keep it quite for the rest of the day, I expect the inspector will get out there come morning though so you'd best be quick and discreet. Now answer my question, does this have anything to do with that Russian who got sliced up?" Mia can tell that although willing to pull some strings for the right price this man is still on the right side of the law and very much interested in finding the murderer.

The sergeant palms the wad but takes a discreet look at it quickly counting bills off. Thirty-five dollars in smaller bills. He tucks the money into his pocket and smiles. "Why thank you for the information Ms. Foster, we'll have some officer's shut down the wharf immediately and put a call in to the city's safety inspector. It would be a tragedy were these claims of structural damage not investigated and an accident happened." He calls back to a couple of the men behind him and tells them to head down and close the wharf down until the safety inspector can give it the thumbs up.

Turning back to Mia he says, "That'll keep it quite for the rest of the day, I expect the inspector will get out there come morning though so you'd best be quick and discreet. Now answer my question, does this have anything to do with that Russian who got sliced up?" Mia can tell that although willing to pull some strings for the right price this man is still on the right side of the law and very much interested in finding the murderer.

Meanwhile Janos, Daphne, and Catori several pounds of silver and a large gem richer loaded into the car. Despite the cold winter weather the driver had kept the windows open and the car was chill but it did not smell of sulfur and smoldering upholstery. Janos could see scorch marks from the hellhound's paws on the back seat but there was little to do about it. Stephen navigated through the slushy streets and soon pulled to a stop in front of a small shop. The sign simply stated "Iron Monger". Within was evidence that the proprietor was anything but an Iron Monger. Wrought iron lamps, and gates and more decorated the store and from the back the dinging sound quickly stopped and a burly man came out from the workshop area. "Afternoon, what can I do for you?"

Meanwhile Janos, Daphne, and Catori several pounds of silver and a large gem richer loaded into the car. Despite the cold winter weather the driver had kept the windows open and the car was chill but it did not smell of sulfur and smoldering upholstery. Janos could see scorch marks from the hellhound's paws on the back seat but there was little to do about it. Stephen navigated through the slushy streets and soon pulled to a stop in front of a small shop. The sign simply stated "Iron Monger". Within was evidence that the proprietor was anything but an Iron Monger. Wrought iron lamps, and gates and more decorated the store and from the back the dinging sound quickly stopped and a burly man came out from the workshop area. "Afternoon, what can I do for you?"

Ben and Arch continue walking through Chinatown. "Right," Ben said, to himself as much as anyone else, "We have the candles, the nightshade, the horn, the last thing we're collecting on the list is the white animal. Now, a place to find it..."

Ben looked around, trying to get his bearings, when he suddenly noticed a flock of doves sitting on an unused bench in the area, with one perfectly white dove right in the middle of the flock. Well, it did say no smaller than a dove, Ben thought, A dove's no smaller than a dove...

Ben nudged Arch, and whispered to him conspiratorily. "Arch, look over there, the flock of doves. Notice the white one right in the middle?" Arch scanned the flock and then nodded back. "Think you could just hit it to knock it out?"

Ben and Arch continue walking through Chinatown. "Right," Ben said, to himself as much as anyone else, "We have the candles, the nightshade, the horn, the last thing we're collecting on the list is the white animal. Now, a place to find it..."

Ben looked around, trying to get his bearings, when he suddenly noticed a flock of doves sitting on an unused bench in the area, with one perfectly white dove right in the middle of the flock. Well, it did say no smaller than a dove, Ben thought, A dove's no smaller than a dove...

Ben nudged Arch, and whispered to him conspiratorily. "Arch, look over there, the flock of doves. Notice the white one right in the middle?" Arch scanned the flock and then nodded back. "Think you could just hit it to knock it out?"

Arch takes a moment to think before he makes an answer. "Worst case I kill the thing or it flies off and we go looking else where." Arch puts on his biggest grin, "I just love me a challenge and this a real dousy you've cooked up Ben."

Looking around using his superb eyesight, Arch spots a building that may provide him the right angle to ricochet the bolt. Taking aim, Arch winks and says "Here goes nothing!"

(Spending a point of inspration for Dramatic editing, and one point to help with the trick shot.)

Arch takes a moment to think before he makes an answer. "Worst case I kill the thing or it flies off and we go looking else where." Arch puts on his biggest grin, "I just love me a challenge and this a real dousy you've cooked up Ben."

Looking around using his superb eyesight, Arch spots a building that may provide him the right angle to ricochet the bolt. Taking aim, Arch winks and says "Here goes nothing!"

(Spending a point of inspration for Dramatic editing, and one point to help with the trick shot.)

Picking up a small pebble Arch sights the bird and concentrates allowing his superhuman senses and steady nerves to take over he flicks the rock toward the dove. With the speed and accuracy of sling shot the pebble strikes the bird soundly and it topples to the ground as the other pigeons fly away in a flurry of feathers. The pair walk over and find that the stunned bird is already trying awkwardly to regain its feet. Arch reaches out and grasps the creature, pinning it's wings to its body.

Picking up a small pebble Arch sights the bird and concentrates allowing his superhuman senses and steady nerves to take over he flicks the rock toward the dove. With the speed and accuracy of sling shot the pebble strikes the bird soundly and it topples to the ground as the other pigeons fly away in a flurry of feathers. The pair walk over and find that the stunned bird is already trying awkwardly to regain its feet. Arch reaches out and grasps the creature, pinning it's wings to its body.

Originally Posted By: burly man
"Afternoon, what can I do for you?"

"Yes, Herr Craftsman. I need three items. Two rods of your purest iron, twelve inches long each. The third item is a natural magnet. Can you be of assistance?"

Janos eyes the Iron Master evenly, being neither meek, or challenging (he hopes). So far they were making excellent time and he didn't want to ruin it.

It also occured to Janos to find the name of a good leather upholsterer. If he kept lugging Spot around, he was going to need one.

Originally Posted By: burly man
"Afternoon, what can I do for you?"

"Yes, Herr Craftsman. I need three items. Two rods of your purest iron, twelve inches long each. The third item is a natural magnet. Can you be of assistance?"

Janos eyes the Iron Master evenly, being neither meek, or challenging (he hopes). So far they were making excellent time and he didn't want to ruin it.

It also occured to Janos to find the name of a good leather upholsterer. If he kept lugging Spot around, he was going to need one.

"Right," Ben said, "Now we've got the animal, we're going to need a cage. Hang on a moment and I'll see if I can find a dealer around here, since holding it all day will get... cumbersome..."

Ben started to look around the busy marketplace, looking for a cage seller.

"Right," Ben said, "Now we've got the animal, we're going to need a cage. Hang on a moment and I'll see if I can find a dealer around here, since holding it all day will get... cumbersome..."

Ben started to look around the busy marketplace, looking for a cage seller.

As soon as they entered the new shop Catori stayed close to Daphne, just in case the young woman would do something unexpected. She was glad that the Count took care of the deals and started to ask herself if it was such a good idea to come along in the first place.

Yet she remembered her father's request and she was a faithful daughter and wouldn't fail him. Sighing a little she watched the Count and the shopowner exchanging pleasentries. She wasn't sure if she would ever fit into this world. There was a hint of sadness in her eyes as she waited.

As soon as they entered the new shop Catori stayed close to Daphne, just in case the young woman would do something unexpected. She was glad that the Count took care of the deals and started to ask herself if it was such a good idea to come along in the first place.

Yet she remembered her father's request and she was a faithful daughter and wouldn't fail him. Sighing a little she watched the Count and the shopowner exchanging pleasentries. She wasn't sure if she would ever fit into this world. There was a hint of sadness in her eyes as she waited.

With little effort Ben and Arch find a store that will sell them an empty cage. In the process they find three that would have sold them a cage and a dove together, and for less money, but sometimes its the principle of the whole thing. With that taken care of they have all the items on their list and with plenty of time to spare.

Meanwhile the blacksmith, for that is really what he is, looks at Janos and nods. "I can do that, half inch OK for the bar stock? It'll cost you four dollars for everything." He pulls out a long iron rod half an inch think and begins to make a couple of measurements before he starts sawing away at it with a hacksaw. In a few minutes he places the two rods on the counter. Next to these he places a small disc of what appears to be loadstone and sure enough it slowly pulls itself toward the iron bars, connecting with a dull click. "Anything else I can do for you today?"

Archived