Aberrant: In the Beginning - Chapter 1- "Fiat Lux!"

Titan

April 8, 1998 9:00 am

Dr. Yael Rabbani stood at the podium in the lecture hall. The Æon library was much like a large university's, and the hall was built to seat three hundred people. It was by no means full, but it didn't seem empty either. Doctors and government representatives comprised the majority of those filling the seats, but there was a large contingent of the 'New People' as well. Over the last two weeks, seventeen more were added to their ranks. Some were qualified to participate in the research themselves, notably Dr. Spencer Balmer, from Manchester and Dr. Han Kevnoh, from Kiev University. For now, they aligned themselves with the test subjects, however, albeit reluctantly.

Dr. Rabbani cleared her throat, and the murmuring and chatting in the hall grew quiet.

"Thank you. We have called you all together to announce a milestone in our research. A series of articles have been prepared for publication, outlining our initial findings."

The applause was enthusiastic, some doctors whistling and shouting approval. When it subsided:

"Yes, thank you. It is a remarkable achievement, to have learned so much in so little time. The papers that will follow, will of course be of an academic standard, and must stand up to scholarly refutation. They will, therefore, take much longer to prepare. These outlines, prepared for joint publication in the Journal of the American Medical Association, The Lancet, and Nature magazine, will also be presented in video form for Nova on PBS, and a special on The Discovery Channel called The Galatea Effect. Most of the medical staff are aware of these findings, but I would like to present them to you, who have so generously given of your time and, yes... blood."

She smiles broadly, and many in the room chuckle. She gestures, and a screen lowers from the ceiling. The lights dim slightly, and a slide showing two cross sections of brains appears on the screen. She uses a laser pointer to indicate the brain on the left.

"It all begins here. You'll see on the left a normal human brain. On the right, is the MRI of one of your brains. Please notice the nodule of brain tissue nested between the left and right lobes."

The slide changed, this time showing one cross-section of a brain. The nodule of brain tissue was noticably larger.

"Here is another, larger node."

The slide changed again, again showing a brain with the node present.

"And another. In fact, given the degree of variance of the abilities displayed, there was no confidence that we would find any commonality among you. However, each and every one of you has this extra brain tissue, which we are tentatively calling the Mazarin-Rashoud node, for our lead researchers, Dr. Henri Mazarin and Dr. Farah Rashoud."

The applause, though enthusiastic, was much less rowdy. Not a man or woman in that room that wouldn't like for their name appended to such a monumental discovery. The named doctors rose quickly from the front row, waved, then seated themselves.

"How and why this node allows the demonstration of extra normal abilities is a question yet to be answered. There is, nonetheless, little doubt that it is responsible. Synaptic response in your brains is normal during most times. However, when your abilities are used, the rest of the brain begins to engage the M-R node, and synaptic response increases by an order of at least seven. In the larger nodes, response has been increased by an order as large as twenty." She pauses, to allow this to sink in.

"There also exists, in each one of you, a series of DNA sequences unlike any ever seen before. We believe, though we currently have no proof, that it is these sequences which cause the...'eruption' of the node in the brain. This eruption causes, almost universally, severe headaches and nausea, though these seem to subside as the brain adjusts to its new shape."

There are mutterings of agreement from the 'New People', scattered murmurs of sympathy from those unaffected. She waits for them to cease.

"Due to the DNA sequences, we are prepared to announce that you, and the others like you around the world, are in fact a new subspecies of Human. We are unofficially designating this species Homo Sapiens Novus, out of deference to the common usage of 'New People' among yourselves."

Again, the applause is somewhat restrained. Most of this can be attributed to a certain degree of shock. It is not everyday that one discovers that one is not strictly a human being.

"That covers the basics of our presentation. We would like to thank each of you individually, and collectively, for your participation. We hope that all of you will consider staying with Æon for a while, for testing, yes, but also in other capacities. We will be discussing some possibilites for these capacities in the next few days and weeks, and will be offering paid positions to those who decide to stay. For those who need to get back to families, loved ones, jobs, and lives far removed from London, let me say that we completely understand. Do not be surprised, however, if nothing about your lives seems familiar to you. We hope that you will stay in touch with us, and please remember that you are welcome at Æon for any reason or none, to stay or to visit, for as long as you wish. In addition, as thanks for your efforts, the Society would like to present each of you with an honorarium of Two Hundred Fifty thousand American dollars."

She pauses again, until the exclaimations of surprise and excitement have somewhat subsided.

"Those of you who stay can look forward to even more financial remuneration, but we will ask for the same level of dedication, commitment, and resolve that you have shown thus far. We have come far in a short time. We hope that you will join us for the rest of the journey. Thank you."

As the lights come up, the medical and scientific staff stands and applauds. The standing ovation seems less for the discoveries and revelation of the last half hour, but more for the people they centered around. The 'New People', Homo Sapiens Novus.

Several members of the Society began passing out envelopes to the 'New People', and as the meeting broke up, many 'New People' discussed with doctors and each other what they should do next.

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So that was it? Somehow Peter had hoped against hope that some sort of unity would come out of this. Maybe it was too soon.

Peter took his evelope, smiled and thanked the giver then left the hall. He had picked up some extra suits in London - tailored - so had a bit more luggage leaving than when he had arrived what seemed so long ago. It had been two weeks and he didn't know much more about himself than he knew then.

That wasn't totally true. He had known so much about himself when he arrived, but the tests had shown him his limits and strengths in what he had gained. Now he had consistancy.

Back at his room, Peter packed up the last of his kit. He called the taxi cab that would take him to the airport. There a flight would be winging him back home - New York City. As he walked out the door he gave his room one last, long look. Nostalgia perhaps.

Down the hall, Peter stopped at Sascha's room and knocked on the door. It seemed that she would be traveling with him to New York. Part of him knew this was a good thing. She needed help, needed someone to look after her. She needed time to get herself together for what was to come. Another part of him resented the burden so soon into his new life. He didn't want a girlfriend, and he certainly didn't want a dependent. But, if not him, then who?

[Peter's story will continue in the 'Peter Bell' thread. (Titan)]

Quote:
Again, the applause is somewhat restrained. Most of this can be attributed to a certain degree of shock. It is not everyday that one discovers that one is not strictly a human being.
Rich considered this then shrugged. He had doubts about this one. With three children it was pretty clear that they were 'close enough' and if it took a DNA scan to tell the difference he didn't see the point. Maybe he'd get the girls tested anyway. By now it wasn't a surprise that he could follow the medical terminology. He wasn't top flight but his powers had included an instruction manual.

Quote:
In addition, as thanks for your efforts, the Society would like to present each of you with an honorarium of Two Hundred Fifty thousand American dollars."
*Good grief. Five years pay give or take... looks like I just found my starting capital.*

Rich went from Doctor to Researcher thanking them, if only to be social. He'd only barely tolerated all the blood giving. While this navel gazing on the origins of the species had it's place, it wasn't for him. After he'd figured out "what" he could do the "why" of it seemed not all that important. Coming up with a more general cure for cancer based on whatever he was doing was a practical and worthwhile thing, and he made a special effort to talk to the Doctors he'd been working with.

"Guys, ah, and Gal, I seriously want to work with you on exploring why this works the way it does." Having some idea of his personal situation they braced themselves for a "Dear John" speech. There was no point in mentioning what "this" was. These were the cancer people. Every one of them had told him what he was doing was impossible. Two of them had mentioned it on camera when he'd gone public. But facts are facts, and the fact was he could cure a truck load of "incurable" diseases upwards of 85% of the time.

Rich continued, "I'm on the first plane back to Chicago. I've got a little girl in a coma who needs to be woken up, and I've got bills to pay before they kick me out and the like. I know that sounds like real bad news, but the good news is I'm serious about continuing this. Things are kind of up in the air and I don't know which city I'm going to end up in, but if it's anywhere close to New York I figure I'll set up private practice or something at your place and we'll continue to make a go at figuring this stuff out."

One of the Doctors asked, "By our place you mean Memorial Sloan-Kettering?" (There was some kind of pecking order on whose Hospital was better... Rich had never bothered to figure out the players in that contest).

Rich answered, "Something like that. I suspect the Government is going to want to have some kind of input in what happens next, and I don't want to make plans until I know where those chips are going to land. But I figure commuting isn't going to be a problem and I just wanted to let you know I'm going to make continuing this work a priority." There were some relieved looks exchanged among the doctors. Rich was pretty sure that several of them would follow him to Chicago.

Personally he planed to find out what happened to Dave and visit his kids. It'd be odd meeting Sam. The mirror told him he could be her twin brother now. Em on the other hand... he was really looking forward to seeing what he could do with Emily. Samantha was planning on being there and so was Bob. He wouldn't be shocked if one or more of the Doctors he was shaking hands with would be there too.

Time to rejoin the world... and maybe see about putting his "nuclear waste clean up program" to work. Even Aeon hadn't really had the resources to fully test that aspect of his power. Countries just had a problem with the idea of letting nuclear waste out of their sight.

[Rich's story will be continued in the 'Richard Stevenson' thread (Titan)]

Dr. Rabbani speech was well prepared and quite eloquent. Looking around Jay spotted some of the others that he ad meet during the last couple of weeks. It was hard to tell if they were looking forward to hearing the doctors or if they were just following along. Either way, Jay knew he had to be here. He had known that something inside him had changed but the doctors had only hinted that it could possibly have something that involved his brain. Now hearing Rabbani speak of a “node” inside of his brain that was the source of his powers had just confirmed that. Rabbani soon turned the floor over to Mazarin and Rashoud who in the course of their lecture, came up with a term that Jay found quite fitting Homo Sapiens Novas.

As with the others, King gracefully accepted the packet given to him, as his mind began to wonder about his future. His two week vacation was up and now it was time for him to finally head on back to his unit over in Germany. He wondered how Smith and his fellow troops would take his return. His face had been on the tube for a few days after his swim, and from what the Aeon PR reps had said that it had boosted public opinion of the “New People.” The Aeon folks were very adamant that if he wished he could return any time to continue any further training. Thanking them once again, he looked around the room, hoping to catch Fang before he headed off.

Fang listened carefully to the speech, coming away feeling very self-satisfied. They'd followed her predictions for the speech perfectly; she was pleased that she'd been able to accurately determine what would happen before it had occurred. Each successful prediction cemented her confidence in her own abilities.

And the money was useful. Fang already had some thoughts on what to do with it, based on her market research-

"Fang!"

Jay's voice turned her around with a genuine smile. "Jay, hello. What did you think of the speech?"

Man she picked up english quick. King smiles at the sound of her voice. "Fang, the speech was just fine. I didn't really follow to much of it though. I had some other stuff on my mind that I was thinking of." King's voice drops low. "I wanted to let you know that I have to head back to Berlin and rejoin my unit. I'm not sure how long I will be gone, but I wanted to let you know that if you ever need my help I will be there for you."

Fang smiled warmly at the sincerity of his offer. "Thank you, Jay," she replied. "I will remember that. Take care of yourself - I will call you." She paused and then added, "I could help you, while you are stationed." She tapped the envelope in his hand. "I could invest money for you. I could make you lots of money."

"I look forward to your call someday Wei." He pulls a stack of bills out of the envelope and hands the rest to Fang. "Here, you can start with this Fang, I'm know that you'll be able to do something with this." He gives a small laugh before he leaves, "You take good care of yourself and my money okay?"

(OOC: King is taking about 5g's with him)

Michael enjoyed the speech. It felt like the kind of event that kicked off something new. He had taken to wearing eastern style suits in the time he spent in London, the kind with the high collar and large buttons. The subtle physical changes his body had been going through had finally completed, leaving him remarkably beautiful. He had taken to thinking of himself as the new 'Million Dollar Michael'.

He had already made his plans to stay with the Æon Society. There wasn't anything for him back stateside, except a storage unit that some of his friends from his church had put his belongings and a new piece of road where his home used to be. He had recieved a request from the Archbishop of his diocese to go to Rome and speak about his changes, but he hadn't answered yet. After the past 2 weeks of science, Michael felt guiltily sceptical about the possible divinity of his eruption into a New Human.

Looking around, he sees Fang and King talking together. He had grown to admire Fang very much as her change had given her an almost frightening mind and will. King also seemed a good person, with a good head on his shoulders. He walks up to them, smiling broadly.

"Quite the speech, hmm? If you dont mind me asking: What are your plans now that the poking and prodding is over?"

It seemed that leaving quickly would never be a strong point with King. He turns to Michael, "My leave's up and I'm heading back to Berlin to rejoin up with my unit."

His voice takes a bit more of a serious tone again "I'm glad you came by though, I wanted to make sure that I keep in touch with everyone. I feel a bond has formed between some of here and I for one want to keep it going no matter where in the world were at."

"And I believe that we have some very tough times coming," Fang said softly. "There is much work to be done to preserve the New People. I hope to be able to call on some of us to do that work as needed, though I fear that some of us will not use our powers for the right reasons." She shook her head as if clearing away the thoughts. "Enough. Jay is leaving; let us not talk of gloom when a friend is preparing to depart. Time for that later."

Juno accepted the envelope with the poleaxed look still on her face.

"So...we can keep this," she said experimentally to the doctor passing them out, holding the envelope a little distance away from him as if concerned he'd snatch it back.

He smiled. "Of course, Juno. This money is the Society's way of thanking you for what you've already done and made possible. Think of it as a paycheck if you like."

She considered that. "For all the tests and stuff?"

The scientist nodded. "With some danger pay thrown in."

That got a smile out of Juno. "Cool."

Their benefactor then added, "Of course, as I understand it, since you're a minor, the money will have to be under your father's control until you become eighteen."

Hector chuckled at that and swiped the envelope from Juno's hand. Her mouth dropped open in dismay as she looked between him and the one who'd given her the money. "What?!"

"Don't worry, mija," Hector assured her jovially. "There'll still be some left after we get a new place."

"Yeah, but..."

"And make your college fund."

"But!"

"And Javier's."

Juno's face took on a mulish pout. "Let me see it."

Hector laughed and reached over to ruffle her already messy short hair. "What?"

"The check, I wanna see it."

He plucked the slip of watermarked, multicolored paper from the envelope and held it in front of her. Juno traced her finger over the line that listed the amount. She realized she could barely imagine what it represented. It meant having stuff. Having respectability. Having importance.

"I don't know what to do," she said softly.

Hector slowly pulled the check back, and she didn't resist. "What do you mean?"

"I want to go back...I miss home, I even miss school. But...if I stay, I can get more." She looked at the doctor, who was just starting to move on. "If I stay, how much will we get? What'll I have to do?"

Originally Posted By: Wei Fang
"Enough. Jay is leaving; let us not talk of gloom when a friend is preparing to depart. Time for that later."

Michael nods.

"I agree. It's been a pleasure meeting you both. If either of you need me for anything, just let me know."

Michael reaches into one of his pockets and pulls out a cellphone. He flips it open an checks the screen.

"This is my number..." He recites the long series of digits. He then flips the phone closed, puts it back in his pocket and extends his hand to Jay.

"I hope we keep in touch."

Dr. Alister Rutherford smiled inwardly and prepared to set the hook. "Well, we would of course like to perform more tests and continue working with you to examine your limits, but of course being a minor we wouldn't ask you to take part in anything that would be considered dangerous unless you volunteered to do so. But of course, given your abilities, what the government considers dangerous from a legal standpoint really doesn't amount to much for you, but that is really besides the point. For now your duties would mostly consist or more testing, and public appearances. We have a great need to make a good public relations showing on behalf of you Novus and a young person like you would be very helpful in that regards."

The Doctor smiles, "Barring any further 'hazard' pay, I think we could reasonably offer you something in the neighborhood of 150 per year. Being a minor however, we would also provide you with tutors so that you will be able to complete your education. In fact, that would have to be part of the agreement. We could not allow you to work with us and not perform well academically. Is this something you would be interested in?" Now he would see if this fish would bite, and he certainly hoped so completely aside from the hefty bonus he would receive if she signed up.

Originally Posted By: Peter Bell

Down the hall, Peter stopped at Sascha's room and knocked on the door. It seemed that she would be traveling with him to New York. Part of him knew this was a good thing. She needed help, needed someone to look after her. She needed time to get herself together for what was to come. Another part of him resented the burden so soon into his new life. He didn't want a girlfriend, and he certainly didn't want a dependent. But, if not him, then who?

Sascha took the sling bag with the Aeon-Logo and checked its contents again. She gave the room a last look and avoided the mirror which had given her quite some nightmares. Peter was very kind to her, always checking back on her and making sure he kept his promise. Thinking of him made her feel good, it gave her strength... Strength to do what she was about to do.

Staring at the envelope in her hand on which she had written Peter's name on she took out the letter and read it one last time before she left.

(ooc: Lyrics by Alice in Chains - Nutshell)

We chase misprinted lies
We face the path of time
And yet I fight
And yet I fight
This battle all alone
No one to cry to
No place to call home

Dear Peter,

I know you didn't deserve 'just' a letter for all you've done for me. But I just got enough strength to do it this way - if you would be here in my room I wouldn't go... I would just stay here with you and follow you. I understand that you're going through some changes yourselves, as everyone else of the so called New People have. I know now that there is something different about me, something that the others don't have or maybe its something I lack. Who knows?

Over the last days it kept getting exceedingly difficult to keep in control. I started hearing screams of pain and fear. I saw people dying from severe burns while I was awake. My nightmares have found their way into my waking consciousness and I'm afraid that I could hurt you or anyone of the others. I'm not sure if this is the right decision but I do know that I can't make myself dependent yet again on someone else. My whole life has been controlled by others and I've grown used to it. If I want to make a difference I need to step out of that shadow and face whatever awaits me on my own. I can't drag you into this - I like you too much to ruin your life.

I still want to find that man because I'm convinced that he can give me an explanation for why my life is such a mess. He has a connection to my... other side. Yes - I know now that there is someone... something inside me that I can't control. I tried - I really did but whenever she wants to she will break out and destroy everything that lies in her path or tries to stop her. Maybe with time I can find a way to keep her at bay and perhaps one day be just like the others - a hero.

My gift of self is raped
My privacy is raked
And yet I find
And yet I find
Repeating in my head
If I can't be my own
I'd feel better dead

She put the letter back into the envelope and put it on the floor just where the door would shut to her room. It was barely visible, but if someone opened the door they would find the letter.

She sneaked outside as best as she could. There was a meeting which she was supposed to go to but she was too scared to have "another of her episodes". Virtually everyone was busy with the preparations - perfect time for her little escape.

Outside the estate Sascha walked down the road heading northward. Several cars passed by but finally someone stopped and pulled over to the side. She took a few quick steps to close in with the car as the driver opened the door. "Where to?" he asked with a heavy cockney accent. "I don't care, just as far away as you can take me.", said Sascha. As she got into the car she looked back and hoped Peter was right about her...

[sascha's story will continue in the 'Fahrenheit' thread (Titan)]

Nathan stared at the check for a long time. That's a lot of zeroes.

He folds it up and sticks it in his pocket, hanging back and observing. Yeah. I think working at Æon will work out just fine. Can't get used to the press, though... everyone else seems to be enjoying it.

Juno regards Rutherford with a calculating expression, doing some math in her head.

"Would we have to stay in London?" she asks, giving no indication if she thinks it would be a good thing or a bad thing. "And what kind of public appearances? I'm not much good with speeches or anything."

Dr. Rutherford shrugged, "I think a good portion of your time would need to be spent either here or where ever Aeon decides the Novus would be safest. As for the appearances, there would not be too much speech making and we would provide you with coaching so that you would know what to say and how to present yourself. We certainly wouldn't just sick the media on you." He smiles when he says the last to let you know that he understands your concerns. "Plus, there will be time for you to return home and visit your friends if you wish on holidays and the like."

Originally Posted By: Michael Peters
Originally Posted By: Wei Fang
"Enough. Jay is leaving; let us not talk of gloom when a friend is preparing to depart. Time for that later."

Michael nods.

"I agree. It's been a pleasure meeting you both. If either of you need me for anything, just let me know."

Michael reaches into one of his pockets and pulls out a cellphone. He flips it open an checks the screen.

"This is my number..." He recites the long series of digits. He then flips the phone closed, puts it back in his pocket and extends his hand to Jay.

"I hope we keep in touch."

Jay firmly grasps the man hand careful not to squeeze to hard. "Thanks, you take care of your self. I have a feeling that we'll run into each other again soon." A wave good-bye to Fang, King head's off to the waiting taxi, with feelings of uncertainty floating around in his head.

[Jay's story will be continued in the 'Katalyst' thread (Titan)]

Juno chuckles wryly when Rutherford mentions 'home.' At a nudge from her father beside her, she looks back at the doctor. It seemed like such a good deal...really too good. That was part of what was bothering her. And this guy seemed like he was really wanting her to stay too...he was doing a good job holding it in, but he had that sort of repressed eagerness a sales rep has when he sees the customer pick up the pen to sign a contract. That didn't mean it was a bad contract. It just...bugged her.

Finally she voiced her only remaining rational reservation.

"What about dad? And my brother?"

Caryn sits still for a moment as everyone stands around her.

All of these powers.. I can do so much better than just a small town detective.

She stands and walks towards the group of doctors. One of them look at her with a smile.

"Okay, I'm In" Caryn says shaking the doctors hand.

Peter read the letter ... twice. He wasn't sure what course of action to take. He felt that warning the doctors would only inhibit Sascha's freedom and instigate a crisis. He opted to keep the letter and placed it inside his jacket pocket. There wasn't much more he could do, though he promised himself he would look in on her from time to time.

He closed her door and headed back outside. He would be going back to New York alone. He was also sure he wouldn't be bored, or lonely.

[Er, Peter's story will now be continued in the 'Peter Bell' thread...(Titan)]

Rutherford sensed the hesitation, but wasn't sure what to do about it. He shrugged, "Ideally your father and brother would stay with you, but that decision is really up to your family to make. They could go back home and rebuild, or stay with you here or where every you have to travel. If they stay with you here, we would do our best to find your father some work as well, I don't think he's the kind of man who would want to sit idle. Your brother would be provided with tutors when he is old enough and received the best education money can buy." He looked quizzically at Juno, "I don't know what else to say. This offer isn't unique to you, the others have the same opportunity, and I really do believe that both you and the world would benefit most if you stayed with us. You are free to go however and make any deal with any other group you like. I'm sure there will be other parties out there that will want Novus on their payroll. You contract can be renewed every year and you can always renegotiate if you think you are not getting the best deal with us."

His face became serious, "I can't speak for other organizations, but I can with absolute certainty say that Aeon has the worlds best interest at heart and not it's own profit. We want to do right by you and the world. That's something you should consider when making your decision."

Michael watches Jay depart, then turns to face Fang fully.

"So, what of yourself? Do you have any plans with Aeon?"

As he speaks, he plucks two champagne glasses from a passing waiter and passes one to Fang. As soon as he does this, he realizes he doesn't know anything about her habits.

I hope I'm not making a faux pas offering her alchohal...

Wes was the last one to make his way to accept the packet of "goodies" from the group of people he was now thinking of working for.

Well I think being on the inside is a start in the right direction. Also most of the people I have met have been great.

Wes shook hands with everyone he could. Some people he knew others were new. He walked past everyone and joined the others.

This is a large group of people with a lot of potential to wreak some havoc if I believe everything I have read, heard and scene. I almost feel guilty about spying on some of them. I will have to let them know asap.

Wes notices Juno and tries to flash a smile her way as she is talking to someone...

Caryn over hears Juno. "Yes, What now? Are we going to be separated into jobs according to our powers? Do you have any Plans for us... fighting crime... etc etc?" She adds.

She walks closer to the group. "I know it will be worth the money to stay.. I just hope that I am able to take advantage of my new "gift" and use it to protect. No matter what." She says again.

Dr. Rutherford smiles but shrugs, "I don't really know what to tell you about that. I do know that just about all of you will take turns doing public relations duties, all of you will continue to undergo periodic testing to see what changes might take place over time with your unique physiologies. I'm sure you will be given the opportunity to use your gifts when appropriate." Looking over Caryn's shoulder he nods, "In fact here comes Smythe now with your new cell phones. They are ultra small to be easily carried about on your persons, and we would appreciate it if you would keep them to hand in case of emergency."

A man looking for all the world like Alfred, Batman's trusty butler steps up and clears his throat. When everyone turns to him, he takes a cellphone from a tray full of them and examines it before handing it to Caryn, "Yours madam. Please to keep it on your person." He follows this by handing one to Juno, and then wanders off to give out the rest.

Rutherford speaks again, "There will be a meeting in the morning in the dining hall. Everyone is required to attend. Unless you have further questions, I'll take my leave of you, and see you then."

Wes looks over the group of people being given the cellphones and accepts his last. After a quick glance Wes is pretty sure these a re a bit more than just cell phones.

"So are these just "cell phones" or is there more to them?" Wes spoke up in a calm but questioning manner.

Smythe in his best 'Alfred' manner just responds, "I believe Sir will be told about them in tomorrow's meeting, however, I believe they also include a tracking device and something called 'Global Positioning System'. Sir would have to ask someone else what that does, as I am sure I do not know." Examining the phone it is clearly better designed than a regular cellphone and has a very large screen compared to current models, very much like an Ipaa PDA with a touch screen instead of a key pad. In fact it looks a good deal like an Ipaq.

After the envelops and Cellphone/PDAs are passed out the party eventually winds down with some leaving and some staying. The compound seems surprisingly empty that afternoon with the absence of faces you've become used to seeing over the last two weeks. In fact, the place seems almost deserted because it is the first time since your arrival that most of the doctors are gone, themselves taking a day off after the intensity of the initial testing period.

Eventually everyone retired to their rooms and bed. At 1:18 in the morning the nifty new cellphones ring. When you answer the voice on the other end says, "We have a situation, please come to the small conference room immediately and dressed. We need your assistance. You will be briefed when you arrive, but please hurry, lives are at stake."

"Man," Juno complains into the phone sleepily. "Do you know what time it is...yeah, all right, I'm coming..."

Blearily she yanks yesterday's clothes back on, purchased from a store in London before the meeting. Once dressed, she makes her way to answer the summons.

563e15.png

Caryn's eyes snap open at the phone's first ring. Years of being on call with the OCPD had made her used to the midnight phone call.

"Sanders." She listens to the man on the other end.

"Got it."

She hangs up the phone, and springs out of bed. She pulls on her black cargo pants quickly, tucking in the tee shirt she wore to sleep. She ties her boots tight, and leaves for the conference room.

I was going to leave today. That was literally Fang's first thought. She hoped that this wouldn't take too much of her time; so much remained to be done. Slowly, she pushed herself out of bed and changed her Western-style pajamas for her street clothes. Clutching her phone reflexively, she snapped her messy hair into two disheveled ponytails and headed downstairs.

The little conference room was only little in comparison to the large chamber that the doctors used earlier that day to address the press and the assembled New People. It was elegantly furnished with a solid mahogany table and leather chairs. At the front of the room Dr. Mazarin stood waiting for everyone to arrive looking quite impatient which was not like him at all. Less than ten minutes had actually passed from the time of the phone call until the novas were actually assembled. As the Michael walked into the room, Dr. Mazarin nodded and started to speak, not even giving the new arrival time to sit down.

"I am sorry to wake you, but a situation has arisen in Cardiff at the Whitchurch Hospital. There is another of the Novus who has just erupted, but he seems to be out of control and several doctors and nurses are already dead. Anyone he touches dies. We are not sure yet how he is causing the deaths, but the local authorities have urgently requested our assistance. I would like you lot to go there and try to calm him and persuade him to join us here for testing and help controlling his power, or if necessary to subdue him before any more get hurt." The doctor looks particularly grim, definitely not his usual demeanor, "The doctors have him pinned in the ICU there, but say they don't believe they can stop him from leaving. As I said so far they have only reported that he kills with a touch, but he may have other gifts as well that have not been displayed yet. Many of the accounts we have reviewed so far indicate that Novus are most powerful and unpredictable at the time of their eruption so please be careful. We don't want to lose any of you. Miss Juno, please be especially careful, even with your ability this could be dangerous and you are legally underage..."

Looking to the group, "We have a helicopter standing by outside, but if you can get there faster with your powers please do so. More lives could be lost by the minute. Thank you."

With that he sits heavily in the closest chair and wipes sweat from his brow.

Cardiff... Michael thought the capital of Wales. Lots and lots of people there. THis could get really really ugly.

Michael stood and moved towards the door at a jog. Any conversation with his teammates could wait until they were in the air. His mind was already mulling over the situation; how many dead? Will he listen to reason? How can we stop him if we can't touch him?

Michael felt a familiar coolness start to come over him when he saw the helicopter on the pad. It reminded him of Vietnam, that he had to be strong, to protect people. Whatever they found at the hospital, he would be ready.

Archived