Star Wars: The Sith War - Interest Check: Open World Star Wars Uni Forum

Seph OOC

Despite all the games starting recently, I thought I'd toss my idea in the ring before things get too saturated. In the interest of spreading the focus of the board a little wider and in the spirit of the new forum, I'm proposing an Open World Star Wars Universe game.

Tentative details are as follows, though if interest sways heavily in one direction or another, I'm flexible:

• Forum will use the d20 WotC rules, Revised Edition.
  • Game will take place approximately 1800BBY, at the beginning of the New Sith War which followed a ways after the Knights of the Old Republic era.
  • All standard core races will be allowed, as well as various other alien races, pending Mod approval.
  • Default starting level for all new characters will be 3. XP will be awarded on a XP/per lvl basis once a month, with additional awards given out via vote.
  • Before you even ask, yes, Jedi and Sith will be playable PCs.
  • Storytellers will be encouraged to run games within the existing Open World framework with the caveat that they abide by character generation rules and not thwack the plot pieces of nonconsenting players.
  • PCs will be approved by Mods, who'll be me and, I don't know, a couple of other people. Any volunteers? Anyway, we'll be answerable and accountable, so you're welcome to whine all you like to my face.

Pending an adequate amount of interest to get the ball rolling, I'll post up expanded details on character creation, game world, history, races and classes available, notable NPCs in the game world, etc.

Now would also be the time to voice any concerns you have, bitch about my decisions, or start proselytizing for all characters starting at level 8 or lightsabres being standard equip for all characters or whatever bullshit you insist I bring to the table.

Originally Posted By: Dozer
I'm in. Just gotta figure out if I have the revised core book or not.

If not, i'll get it. smile

There really aren't that many glaring differences, and I'm sure those of us who do have the books would be more than happy to help you out with the discrepancies. (Unless, of course, you can get the books on the cheap somewhere. They're worth having- I just hate to think of someone spending money on gaming books if they don't have to. Expensive hobby, and all that.)

Originally Posted By: VileBill

Because posts of

"Urrraanngnhuannanguaagguurrraangu. Roar." would be annoyting.

Not if the person he's talking to understands Shyriiwook! smile

Edit: Rev and I already have a couple of ideas for characters, so, needless to say, I'm anxious to get things going.

Seph, if you need anything from us, say the word. smile

Unless I've missed my count, I'm seeing eight individual affirmations, and I've had first-hand confirmation from Wargear/Rena's player and Juri's player (I'm pretty sure, anyhow). I don't know what qualifies as "enough", so I'll let the issue stay open a bit longer while I address some of the more prominent points.

Originally Posted By: Hyoseph
So the question is: Alien Anthology - Yes or no?

Provisional 'yes', but again, that's pending Mod approval. I try to be open to most ideas, but I've also known to be a right fuck about pitches that don't make any sense. Creatures that fall into the "Why the fuck would you do that?!" category will require commensurate justification.

In case it wasn't made clear above, non-Galactic Basic speaking creatures (eg, Wookies) and Droids are both playable character templates straight out of the core rules, and will be available.

A couple of other features of this world that I thought I'd mention:

• What we recognize as the OpNet forum in Aberrant universe games will be replaced by a galactic, text-based BBS system set up by the Exchange. For those who are not familiar with the SWU, the Exchange is much like a legitimized form of mafia that exists in the SWU, very much like the Yakuza of Japan. The public forum will ostensibly be a sort of mercenary's classified ads, though of course, discussion will be possible. ExchangeNet will only be available for access on worlds that have an adequate tech level or from very expensive ships that have been outfitted with very expensive equipment used to send data through light years of space.
  • Because Mods and Storytellers will be taking a more active role in causing events to occur, I'm going to be trying a slightly new Moderation system. Mods will exist both IC and OOC. OOC, they will help to solve player disputes and make final rulings on ambiguous issues. IC, the three Mods shall represent a Jedi Master on the Council, a Sith Lord, and a Hutt Boss. These roles will not be Mod characters so much as incarnate plot devices used to help move things around, and between the three roles, all PCs should have an "ultimate authority" to appeal to.

1800BBY nothing exciting is going on in the Galaxy. I mean quite literally... nothing.

However, in 1750BBY The Underlord takes the mantle of Dark Lord of the Sith and rises up to wage war on the Jedi. He stays in power for quite some time. I'm not sure the actual amount. The Sith Lord who comes after him on the canon time line isn't until 500 years later (Belia Darzu, 1250BBY).

Also Darth Bane was not born until 1026BBY and did not institute "The Rule of Two" until after the battle of Ruusan which took place in 1000BBY.

Basically, in 1800BBY there is not a limit to the amount of Sith Lords that may be encountered.

Also, the title 'Darth' was not used until after the battle of Ruusan as well.

Here are some ideas I've had for review by those interested.

1. How about each player makes two characters (let's leave it at two for now) a Light Side character and a Dark Side character. As we progress through the game we can see how our characters influence each other. Could Seph's Dark Side Marauder turn Vivi's Consular to the dark side, and could the other light siders save her if he does?

Star Wars is more epic story lines of heroic deeds or insidious evils. I think it would be fun to pit our characters against each other in that manner. We're all on the same side, except we're not. Essentially we'd be both heroes and villains.

It might be fun, give it some thought.

2. Seph mentioned using the point buy system. I'm curious as to what system everyone would like to use:

Low-powered = 15

More Challenging = 22

Standard = 25

Tougher = 28

High Powered = 32

I assume the 25 point standard system that's described in the book is what most people default to when someone says "Point Buy'. Personally I'd like to go with 32. No, not because it's the most points avail. All the major canon NPCs from the movies (Anakin, Luke, Obi-Wan, Dooku, Padme') all use the 32 point system (I checked Obi-Wan, Anakin, and Luke Skywalker as well as Padme').

*patriotic music silently plays in the background*

This is our story, this is our epic saga. We are the Vaders, the Padme's, the whatever you wanna bes. Our character should be on par with the heroes of the saga that hasn't been told yet.

*get off his soap box*

Just a thought, express your opinions.

Also, just cuz I'm nit picky...

3. Ambidexterity should be removed from the feat list. We should just use the Two-Weapon Fighting feat in the 3.5 PHB... smile

I'm a fan of a mild tone of PvP on the board(what am I saying? There's Jedi and Sith, Mild doesn't even begin to describe it), even to the point of forging alliances of PCs. However, a caveat should be put into place that says that you cannot corrupt / redeem your own character. (Seph's Dark Marauder cannot turn Seph's Jedi Instructor to the Dark Side)

I appreciate the interest, but at this point I'm still waiting to hopefully generate some more. A lot of the familiar faces haven't been seen in a week or two for whatever reasons, so I want to hold off. Starting a forum with three Mods for a total of six or seven players sounds like a lot of gamble, little gain.

We'll see how things look. In the meantime, anyone really interested in this idea should do what I'm doing: keep trying to get other players engaged in the idea. The more people who'll sign on, the better.

Character creation will be a point buy. I need to give the matter some thought, but the starting points will probably be between 25-30.

If we're using a point-buy system for character creation, 28 would be my preference. It's slightly higher than standard (but we're starting at level 3, which is also higher than the norm, so it doesn't seem too far-fetched), but not quite as high as the canon NPCs.

Rev makes an excellent point- this would be our game, not some abstract form of hero-worship for the Skywalkers and their cliques, and they shouldn't completely overshadow the PCs- but it's hard to say how it would work in practice. Either way, it's only 4 points, and not a deal-breaker for most people, I think.

Well, I for one would like to see a SW section, whether it be moderated or just a section like 2018 where we could all just share ideas and fictions and mingle characters together for stories.

I think that putting the idea off only because nine people are interested doesn't make much sense. I think once writers see the fun we're having they'll be more inclined to give it a shot. I was like that with 2018 when I first got here three years ago.

So far we have:

Seph

Vivi

Dave

Hyoseph

Alex

Dozer

Craig (maybe... smile )

Nova

Carver

Possibly Joani... I think she supports the idea, but just doesn't have time at the moment.

10 players is a good start... I think we should start hammering out details and start breathing some life into it so when we do attract more attention from other players we're still not at square one with our thumbs in our asses.

I'd rather not wait til we attract more players just to get the ball rolling.

So let's hear it people, what ideas can we use to market this puppy?

If we can get Character Creation guidelines up, discuss which sourcebooks we're using and what races/classes will not need Mod approval (probably anything outside the core book will need to be considered), and figure out if 1800BBY is the best timeframe to use (the post-Vong period would be interesting, as well, and without the problem of nonexistent tech)... People can get started developing their characters.

Right now, all we can do is toss around ideas. If people aren't getting attached to the idea of a game or character, they're just going to drop out or not bother signing on. We need to give them something to work with, or why else would they bother?

I know that I'm much more interested in a game if I can actually make a character for it? All of the games that are running currently on these forums posted char-gen guidelines pretty early on. I understand the desire to wait for more people to sign on, but I honestly think more people would be interested if they could get started.

My recommendations thus far:

* 28 points to spend at creation.

* Core races/classes do not require approval. AA/UAA (Alien Anthology/Ultimate Alien Anthology) and other sourcebooks may be used, but rare or extremely unusual race/class combinations will be subject to review by the moderators before the character can begin play. (I'm looking at you, Sith Kushiban of Doom.)

These are my ideas... mind you there just ideas. Give me feed back on what you like and what you don't.

* 30 points to spend at creation

* Core races/classes do not require approval. AA/UAA (Alien Anthology/Ultimate Alien Anthology) and other sourcebooks may be used, but rare or extremely unusual race/class combinations will be subject to review by the moderators before the character can begin play.

* Legacy Era of play which is about 130+ Years after the battle of Yavin IV. This removes The Vong, but also the Rule of Two is abolished and permits more than one character to play the Sith Lord class.

* Players may create characters who are from canon bloodlines, subject to moderator approval.

* Each player has 4 Character 'Slots' 2 Light Side, 2 Dark Side. You may not play more than one member of your own family (you can't play twins, for example) but other players may play your your sibling or parent in a PC capacity.

* If your character falls to the Dark Side, only other PCs may restore him/her to the light. You cannot send in your own character to save your character.

* Revenant should learn to use the 'list' feature.

Originally Posted By: Revenant

* Each player has 4 Character 'Slots' 2 Light Side, 2 Dark Side. You may not play more than one member of your own family (you can't play twins, for example) but other players may play your your sibling or parent in a PC capacity.

At the most, I think people should have 2 characters. Allowing 4 is only going to encourage idleness when the writers/players can't keep up. Remember, with the other forums and games that are active, most people who choose to play here would be hard-pressed to devote enough time and energy to SW to maintain multiple characters. I would honestly prefer to start with just one character, because it requires the player to invest more thought and effort into their creation and play.

As far as familial ties are concerned, I agree.

Originally Posted By: Vivi OOC
My recommendations thus far:

* 28 points to spend at creation.
* Core races/classes do not require approval. AA/UAA (Alien Anthology/Ultimate Alien Anthology) and other sourcebooks may be used, but rare or extremely unusual race/class combinations will be subject to review by the moderators before the character can begin play. (I'm looking at you, Sith Kushiban of Doom.)

Moi?

At the most, I think people should have 2 characters.

Okay, how abou everyone has a single character to start with. Once the game reaches a particular level (Like 7 let's say for example) then we'll look into adding a second slot.

This way by the time seventh level rolls around people could have established story lines while others may have thought of ways to connect either their PC or a new one to those threads. And thus... Destiny is born. A big theme in the SW universe.

Okay... KoD... I'll admit... I chuckled.

At the most, I think people should have 2 characters.

Okay, how abou everyone has a single character to start with. Once the game reaches a particular level (Like 7 let's say for example) then we'll look into adding a second slot.

This way by the time seventh level rolls around people could have established story lines while others may have thought of ways to connect either their PC or a new one to those threads. And thus... Destiny is born. A big theme in the SW universe.

Okay... KoD... I'll admit... I chuckled.

What I've generally noticed about games that start low lvl is that both mechanically and stylistically characters generally hit their stride between lvl 7 and 10. They're getting to the point where they've found the niche that they were aiming for(or at least gotten close) and have had time to get into their character's head.

Hell, the Jedi classes treat 7th lvl as going from Padawan to Knight. It's the official Star Wars benchmark for "substantial character".

Point of the post: I like Revan's idea. Let's get this thing going. Once it's more actual activity for people to see and less "well, this is tentative and hidden away in the 'Online Gaming' section" I think interest will increase fairly rapidly.

Okay, people are pushing, so I guess it's time for a status update and provisional ruling on a few issues:

• After much thought, the Point-Buy system I'm leaning towards would be 26 points, with all scores starting at 9 rather than the standard 8. Points above 9 will cost 1 each up to 14. Points 15-16 will cost 2 points each, and points 17-18 will cost 3 each. This system still allows for PCs that are a cut above normal while minimizing opportunities for min-maxing, as the top-tier scores are still expensive and points are still at a premium.
  • To quote Dave verbatim: "Core races/classes do not require approval. AA/UAA (Alien Anthology/Ultimate Alien Anthology) and other sourcebooks may be used, but rare or extremely unusual race/class combinations will be subject to review by the moderators before the character can begin play." I'm sticking by that.
  • I'm sticking with the era, if not the definitive year that I first chosen. Legacy Era opens up a whole new can of worms that I have no interest in opening. People who have only seen the movies are going to have a hard enough time acclimating to a period thousands of years before the revolution, let alone having to absorb the events of a cataclysmic war involving aliens from outside Galactic Space that happened afterward. Further more, an older game can use most of the same vehicle and weapon stats as a game that takes place during Palpatine's Empire by simply switching out the names and making a few cosmetic changes. This is not true of the time following the Yuuzan Vhong war.
  • Couple more things to quote Dave on:
    * Players may create characters who are from canon bloodlines, subject to moderator approval.

* You may not play more than one member of your own family (you can't play twins, for example) but other players may play your your sibling or parent in a PC capacity.

* If your character falls to the Dark Side, only other PCs may restore him/her to the light. You cannot send in your own character to save your character.

• At the time of the board's creation, players will be limited to one character that must be defined as either Light or Dark Side. As the most current PC a player has reaches character level 7, they may introduce a new character. This new character must be of the opposite alignment from whatever the previous character currently is. Players found to be abusing this rule by having a character fall shortly before 7th level and redeeming them shortly after (or the reverse) will be kicked in the genitalia. Over and over.

Since everyone's clamoring for it, I'll request a forum from Chosen.

Archived