Aberrant: The Long March - Chapter 8: Those who have strayed from the path.

Mr Fox

Originally Posted By: Courier
Steve shrugs in partial (dis)agreement but not willing to argue about it to Ulric and Andrew and says out loud,

"Cody, how strong are these lizards at telepathy? How much of a mindshield do you think it'd take to keep them out?"

Cody responds,

*Pretty strong actually...stronger than the average psion individually and with the innate experience of being born with the ability. I am also quite sure that they have set aside their tribal differences to deal with us. We are looking at an entire sentient race mobilized against us.*

*Joani, I think you need to step back abit. Your emotionalism is clouding the issues. If it helps you to know, Im not planning on working towars their destruction, but our mutual emancipation from this plot. That is all. If we go to war on our own agendas thats another matter but i won't see us played as pawns in a game.*

*Also...This isn't a commitee. Kyria and I will handle this on our own, no brining in inexperienced mentalists at the 11th hour. Ulric, that means you stay here. Sorry old friend but your world war one notions of diplomacy aren't going to work with an extraterrestrial mindset. I am thoroughly convinced that if we show weakness or deference they will choose war and genocide of their own accord.*

*Now. I am exhausted. As far as i am concerend the matter of the negotiations is settled and I will continue briefing Kyria tomorrow after i have had some rest. In the meantime, I would suggest you all stop wasting time hand wringing over the natural consequences of war and start working on capturing our enemies and discovering who is behind this. I need hard evidence to bring to the table, not helpless pleas of why war isn't fair...If it comes down to us or them...suck it up.*

"Goodnight.*

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not quite understanding why Cody chooses to ignore the reality that Ulric was the FIRST President of a united Earth, Ulric moves over to Michael's daughter.

"Would you please work with me so that I can better understand this telepathic communion. I would like to hold it out as an option and I need your help. Will you give it your best? I really need it. I'm of little use unless I can communicate with them."

Ulric asks with honest, open eyes. His presence, which has caused thousands to cheer and cry, is that of a welcoming peer, and someone who sees Kyria as an equal partner in this endeavor.

Steve puts his hands together and sends,

*All this talk about xenocide, extermination, and/or destruction of a species is a straw man argument. By civilian standards what is on the table is only mass murder. And yes, I know how horrible that is.*

*What I am pointing out is we need to start thinking about preparing for war, and the rules of behavior are different there. Worse, we're talking about Total War fought with modern weapons. At the moment we're still trying to avoid the conflict, and this is a good thing. We haven't had a sizable war here in 80+ years and we've never had one with modern technology.*

*If we go to war, we fight to win. If that sounds brutal and evil, well, tough. War may be evil but losing is worse. This isn't the Olympics second place isn't a silver medal, second place is dead.*

*Oh, and one other thing. If we don't have a war with the Lizards, and I hope we won't, that probably won't matter in the long run. Am I the only one who realizes that the Chromatics are the first alien race that we have encountered who has NOT attempted to exterminate us the moment they found us? Sooner or later we'll be going to war with someone.*

Originally Posted By: The_Fool

*Joani, I think you need to step back abit. Your emotionalism is clouding the issues. If it helps you to know, Im not planning on working towars their destruction, but our mutual emancipation from this plot. That is all. If we go to war on our own agendas thats another matter but i won't see us played as pawns in a game.*

Joani looked at Cody but swallowed down her impulse to directly answer to him. Arguing won't make it better...
She sighed and answered a bit defeated, "I suppose you're right. I apologize for being me."

Joani went to the President and positioned herself at his side. "I gave a promise and I'm going to keep it. IF war breaks out, I will defend Earth." May God have mercy for our souls...

Leaning back in his chair Andrew's face goes blank for a moment before he recites:

"Life is an immobile, locked,

Three-handed struggle between

Your wants, the world’s for you, and (worse)

The unbeatable slow machine

That brings what you’ll get."

Smiling weakly he adds, "I read that somewhere, somehow I think it fits."

[OOC - quoted from Philip Larkin (1922–1986), British poet. “The Life with a Hole in it.”]

Later on after the meeting, Cody approaches Ulric privately.

*I wanted to apologize to you about the way I shut things down in there. After the interrogation and Michael I really needed a break. I still don't know if its a good idea for you to be physically present at the meeting. Without Michael they may already be suspicious...especially around non-telepaths. The thing is Ulric...your power is all about charisma, about making people like you. But I fear that sort of concilliatory approach will only make things worse here. These aliens aren't interested in making friends, they are interested by conquest. I think your talents will be much more useful uniting humanity towards our purpose. You were right of course. Even if we manage to deflect war with these aliens, there are others that must be prepared for...Let us hope our idealism has not doomed us.*

As the meeting breaks up Andrew takes the opportunity to talk to Kyria privately, "I'm sorry by the way, I didn't know about your relationship with Michael or I would have told you separately ... and frankly in a much more sympathetic manner." Andrew looks more than a little embarassed, "Regardless I'm sorry you had to hear it that way and I want you to understand that Morgan and I will do everything we can for him."

Kyria regarded Andrew for a moment, then shook her head with a small, soft smile. "No, I'd have rather heard about it the way I did, then. The truth is more useful than kindness right now." Her eyes look far away for a moment, "My father raised me well, to be what I am; I'll survive."

She smiled back up at him again, "And with you an Morgan helping him, so will he. I'm sure of it. Please, don't worry about me right now. We all have the things we must do and I don't want to be a distraction."

She excused herself quietly from the room and asked Lorean privately over her link if there was a room she could stay in, near the infirmary if possible.

Omar casually walks over to Amber and begins talking to her. Both of them were oblivious to Steve, who also didn't seem to notice. Every so often, he would stop speaking with Amber to survey the room. After a quarter hour, she excused herself. As she left, Amber stopped long enough for Omar to plant a kiss on her forehead. She smiled and went to hunt down Steve.

Omar sat by himself, seemingly in thought.

Over the next two days everyone works on their shared goal. Kyria and Cody practice melding and discover that they have the same affinity as they did with Michael. That is not to say that the meld wasn't awkward to some degree. Getting to know someone and melding so completely with them at the same time can be both embarrassing and very much uncomfortable, however, the 'power' of the meld does not seem to be effected which is a blessing under the circumstances. Unfortunately, it is also discovered that it is impossible to bring into a meld someone that doesn't already have the talent for telepathy so Ulric will not be participating in direct negotiations, unless there is a face to face with the aliens.

Andrew and Morgan spend their time divided between tending Michael who has shown no sign of change, and working on a drug to suppress Psi abilities. Andrew made a small break through on this front, but not enough to feel completely confident that his formula will work on the Uber-Psions.

Omar, Joani and Ulric spend their time with the President guarding him and guiding him to make the right decisions. Not that he needs much guiding. He is a complete product of the indoctrination and education system that you all set up nearly 80 years ago. One of the major things he has done in the last two days is mobilize the population. Every citizen goes through basic military training and serves the League for 3 years after finishing their education, and the President has called the entire population of human space to active duty. Not that they have been asked to leave their current jobs or anything, but they are officially in the military pending the outcome of this crisis.

Meanwhile Steve, Lorean and Amber with the assistance of Cody and Kyria have again pinpointed two more individuals who are somehow dangerous and presumed to be Proxies for the aliens. In the process they've also discovered that a good number of the guards that normally protect the president have been tampered with like the guys at the ship yards, only these have been set to kill the President and any other League official in their reach. One of the Proxies is an assistant who normally would have daily access to the President and his advisers. The other Proxy is in the power generation infrastructure, and is in a position to have tampered with any number of people who could do major damage to the powergrid.

Steve sends,

*Lorean please inform Omar, Joani and Ulric of this.*

*If I were them I'd have someone in the military and in the communications grid. Then have everyone strike at once and try to fire up a civil war, maybe have a General try to take over.*

*I think we pretty much have to try to pick up both of these guys, although it might warn whoever is pulling their strings what is happening and cause them to pull the trigger.*

*I also have some ideas on how to do them both at the same time.*

A bit alarmed by the message from Steve, Omar looks at Joani and Ulric. He wondered if they had the same feeling.

He sends back to the others: I think that one of us should be with the president at all times. I need neither sleep nor food, so I can watch over him until the rest of you can secure the situation. If the team needs me, Joani can watch him. Or we can switch off. Ulric, I don't think you should burden yourself with securing the president. If something does happen, humanity will need an experience leader to fill his shoes.

Omar began to think of other possible conspirators, who would have a vested interest in killing the president. Omar looked at the president.

"May we see a list of people in your cabinet, Mr. President? Also, can we also get a copy of the list of political succession? The one with a list of those people who would become president should you be unable to fulfill your duties."

Originally Posted By: Ziggurat
A bit alarmed by the message from Steve, Omar looks at Joani and Ulric. He wondered if they had the same feeling.

Joanis face expressed the same concern but only for a brief moment. She didn't want the President to worry too much.

He sends back to the others: I think that one of us should be with the president at all times. I need neither sleep nor food, so I can watch over him until the rest of you can secure the situation. If the team needs me, Joani can watch him. Or we can switch off. Ulric, I don't think you should burden yourself with securing the president. If something does happen, humanity will need an experience leader to fill his shoes.

Joani sends in direct answer to Omar, * I would like to stay with the President. I already gave him my word. If you think that you need me in trying to catch the Psions then tell me, but given choice I want to stay and protect the President... and Ulric.*

Joani agreed with Omars request, "Thats a good idea, Omar. Maybe there is something we have overlooked - a pattern of some kind or a network of sympathizers.", Joanis voice and demeanor was serene and calm. She smiled confidently at the President.

"We're going to get them, Mr. President. Whoever is trying to disturb our peace."

Quote:
* I would like to stay with the President. I already gave him my word. If you think that you need me in trying to catch the Psions then tell me, but given choice I want to stay and protect the President... and Ulric.*

Omar sends back to Joani: * You must choose one, Joani. We can't have them in the same place together. If a large bomb goes off, both of them will be killed. Therefore, we must keep them separate. Ulric can stay with Lorean. If Ulric needs to travel elsewhere or you want to be with him, you can go to him. I will take over watching the president in those cases.

Omar hoped that Joani would understand.

Omar sends back to Joani: * You must choose one, Joani. We can't have them in the same place together. If a large bomb goes off, both of them will be killed. Therefore, we must keep them separate. Ulric can stay with Lorean. If Ulric needs to travel elsewhere or you want to be with him, you can go to him. I will take over watching the president in those cases.

Omar hoped that Joani would understand.

Joani frowned mentally and looked at Omar, *I'm going to stay with the President... please take care of Ulric, Omar..

Then she looked at Ulric and sighed, "I love you, Ulric... but we need to keep you and the President seperated, the risk is too high taking you both out in the case of an attack. I really wished we had other options. I'm going to stay with the President as I promised."

Omar could tell by the way Joani looked, that she didn't like what was happening.

Back onboard Lorean Andrew was in his lab cursing up a storm. Two days straight he had worked with Morgan and the best drug canidate he had created was a strong maybe. He picked up a plastic beaker an tossed it across the room frustrated. Finally he composed himself, burying his anger deep, and perpared a fresh sample of his "dietary supplement".

Some time later he emerges from the lab and heads to the bridge, *OK folks, I've got somethign that may help, I honestly can't be certain until we test it against one of these high powered psions but in tests on one of the psion crew members it shutu him down for a while, about 6 hours. Hopefully it'll give you the upper hand we need and prevent another of us from ending up on a bed in sickbay.*

Arriving at the bridge he takes a seat at one ofthe data consoles and begins to review all of the new informations from the past few days, committing it into his encycloedic memory.

Quote:
*I'm going to stay with the President... please take care of Ulric, Omar..

Omar flashes a mischevous smile and sends back. * I will. And I'll try to keep him out of the strip clubs while you are gone.

Omar flashes a mischevous smile and sends back. * I will. And I'll try to keep him out of the strip clubs while you are gone.*

*Not funny, Omar... but maybe he should. Looks like I'm going to be out of business for a while* , Joani didn't sound serious about this but tried to change her mood to little effect.

Originally Posted By: Andrew Murphy
Some time later he emerges from the lab and heads to the bridge, *OK folks, I've got somethign that may help, I honestly can't be certain until we test it against one of these high powered psions but in tests on one of the psion crew members it shutu him down for a while, about 6 hours. Hopefully it'll give you the upper hand we need and prevent another of us from ending up on a bed in sickbay.*
Steve sends back,

*Good. I think what has to happen here is a replay of last time without the telepathic interview. We plant mini cameras or locators in both of their offices. Lorean gets both of them at the same time, we leave.*

*Then we do an interview the old fashioned way.*

*Someone, probably several someones, will need to play clean up back on the Earth in both spots. Andrew, once again IMHO we can't risk you being on the ship until we have a better idea on how well, or whether, this wonder drug of yours will work.*

"Damnit!" Andrew curses under his breath, it was galling to know that while the rest of his comrades were actively investigating these telepaths that he was not only unable to help but would actually be a liability.

*Fine, whatever, is there anything to be done in the meantime? Anything I can do?* Andrew finds it difficult to hide the bitter quality within his mental "voice", feeling helpless is something he's not accustomed to especially given his contributions over the many years.

*Fine, whatever, is there anything to be done in the meantime? Anything I can do?* Andrew finds it difficult to hide the bitter quality within his mental "voice", feeling helpless is something he's not accustomed to especially given his contributions over the many years.
Steve sends back evenly,

*You only need to be gone when the uber-telepaths are here. Someone needs to round up these guys minions. Joani will probably be dealing with the President's crew, how are you with power plants?*

Andrew smirks though nobody can see it, *Steve, did you seriously just ask that question? It's me!*
Steve sends back, *Exactly. Interviewing people was never your strength anyway so stop getting hung up about not being able to interview these two. You designed and built those plants or helped others do so. If we have a bunch of people trying to shut them down you'd be the guy to have on site.*

Steve starts putting together some spy type stuff. Ultrasmall cameras and Directive type stuff that Lorean will need to locate the new pair.

Damn if he doesn't have a point. Well, I guess loafing isn't going to get any work done. Andrew pulls up the data for the worldwide power networks and begins pouring over the plans and the personnel files of the saboteurs looking for the most likely ways that the grids would have been tampered with.

Ulric's mind was sick with the possibilities. It was much more than the personal risk to him, Joani, or Omar, it was the perversion of everything the Cabal had been working for. In Ulric's mind, everyone of the Cabal wanted the world to become free of undue influence. Even influence from them. They had wanted to make this as close to a Utopia as they could imagine.

Now it had seemed to go so horribly wrong. It wasn't their fault. They weren't threatening to decapitate the World Government and send Human Society crashing into the dark. The sensations of anger and hopelessness filled Ulric with a terrible resolve to punish those who had done this to his world and his people. Peace became a most unwelcome option for the beings behind this. They had to be taught a terrible lesson.

Ulric kissed Joani somewhat absently and turned to leave with Omar. He stopped, went back, and kissed her deeply on the lips.

"We'll be coming back real soon," Ulric told her. "Promise me you'll wait."

Originally Posted By: Ulric Reikspar

Ulric kissed Joani somewhat absently and turned to leave with Omar. He stopped, went back, and kissed her deeply on the lips.
"We'll be coming back real soon," Ulric told her. "Promise me you'll wait."

Joani wanted that kiss to last just a little longer but Ulric already stepped back and looked into her eyes. She wanted to tell him how much she loved him, how afraid she was and how helpless she felt. For a moment she was 19 again, like that day when they found her and discovered she had been abused by Caroline for more than a year.

She nodded at Ulric as she heard his words - "Promise me you'll wait."

"I... love you.", she half whispered but he was already gone.

Joani looked back to the President and excused herself, "Mr. President, please excuse me... I need some time for myself. I'm here if you need me."

• 2 weeks later...

The next two days passed in a flurry of activity. Andrew and Morgan did their best to tend to Michael, but without any visible success. Andrew also worked to determine the most vulernable points in the powergrid's infrastructure. Steve and Amber with the assistence of Cody and Kyria first compliled lists of likely suspects then narrowed them down, then tested them. Omar and Joani guarded the President which is becoming more difficult. Even though he is staying aboard the ship, he can't exactly remain out of the public eye in a time of crisis without consequence, which means he's had a steady stream of VIP guests brought aboard, anyone of whom could have been a potential assassin. So far no attempt has been made, but there is beginning to be some grumbling among League representatives that would normally have access to him but have not been allowed on the schedule. If this situation continues too long the grumbling will become political.

Meanwhile Cody and Kyria also spent some time bonding and getting used to melding in preparation for the upcoming confrontation with the aliens. Ulric has assisted the President and though he may be a secondary target himself has beem difusing much of the grumbling by accepting his own avalanche of visitors looking for assurance or information.

So far no acts of sabatoge have taken place...

The third morning dawned the same as always, the media are settling into a routine, replaying the same old clips and rerunning stories. The population is starting to get accustomed to the idea of the mobilization, although no one has yet to be called up to active duty. Everyone knows it is only a matter of time and organization.

Omar spends his time looking over dossiers of high profile political figured close to the president. When Joani is away from the president, Omar relieves her.

Every night, Omar heads to see Steve and Amber. He hopes that she can help figure out who, on the lists, might be suspect.

Every night, Omar heads to see Steve and Amber. He hopes that she can help figure out who, on the lists, might be suspect.
It was fortunate Steve wasn't lacking in self assurance or social skills. He's married to and sleeping with the favorite grand-daughter of the world's most powerful combat oriented nova, so both come in handy. If he had allowed it could have been an uncomfortable situation... but he hadn't. To be fair all three of them had worked hard at that, and that was even before going public as a nova. Steve thought since he'd gotten "younger" the relationship was easier. Everyone at least looked the part for their respective roles now.

When Amber was asleep Steve would work on company business or shift through data on the alien agent problem. Awake the big problem was pacing her so she didn't over use her powers. There was a strong temptation to involve Amber for every question, but that way lay madness for her. It was moments like this when you had to keep in mind your limitations.

The point he kept coming back to was they needed more information if they were going to search for agents better. Their other problems were gathering momentum as well. The President was going to have to return to Earth and his duties soon. For that matter the Company would work a lot better if he could devote his full attention to it. It was a risk but they were going to have to pick up Agent #2 and Agent #3 and try to take this to the next level.

A grim task fell to Ulric. He had to create lists of people ... people to replace key personnel in case the enemy launched a strike against the League infrastructure. And, he had to create a list of people to replace those people in case the replacements were also taken out. At least the final decision on this wasn't his, he lied to himself. The President knew he was loyal, and more to the point, the best man to make these decisions.

Ulric chose personalities and skill sets. He chose ambition, courage, and interpersonnel dynamics. This 'new' government might very well inherit a war - humanities first war in over fifty years, and they would probably only have one chance to get it right. This was not a time for Ulric to doubt himself, nor to doubt the capabilities of those around him. Still, in the back of his mind, Ulric felt that fear that was more than 80 years dead. It was the fear of despair.

A bleary eyed Andrew pushes himself back from the computer terminal, "Done. Finally." He breathes. He scrubs at his face with his hands, rubbing his eyes in a useless gesture that he has held onto from the days when he actually had real eyes. He shambles to his bedroom stopping in the lab to grab a pair of syringes. Sitting on the end of his bed he injects the pink sludge into his body. Immediately he begins to feel better, Sometimes you need sleep, even if you body doesn't. he thinks.

He's about to fall into bed when he decides he should contact Steve, Oughta check in I guess ...

*Steve, it's Andrew, if you check the power grid control systems I've uploaded a new baseline command code. Basically if anything happens to any station we can send a command out that will sever the intercontinental and regional links. Hopefully we can avoid a system-wide overload. The command code is A Murphy zero zero one and the password is Earth six one six. I'm going to crash, wake me if you need me.*

Even over the mental communication Andrew sounded tired. And as he shut the link his eyes slide shut, and despite the bright midday sun he was alseep before his head hit the pillow.

Geneva, Switzerland

The Presidential offices

The Octagon as the President's office is called due to it's distinctive eight sided room, had been unoccupied for nearly a week. Only secretaries, assistants and other functionaries of the office had entered recently. One man in particular was scheduled to meet with the president this morning. Martin Abersdale, one of his personal assistants, had been requesting meetings since the crisis had begun, but like everyone else had been denied access for security reasons. Today however, the President scheduled a full morning of meetings with various leaders and it was a great opportunity to take the actions he'd been planning for some time now. A few subtle suggestions here and there and enough chaos should ensue to bring his plans to fruition. He looked longingly at the President's chair but settled himself comfortably in one of the seats across from the desk instead and settled in to wait.

Gibraltar, Spain

Primary Junction Facility for the Europe-Africa segment of the power grid.

Adam Coulter was just finishing his inspection of the facility. It was part of his position that he personally inspect all of the main junction facilities at least once a year. Under the circumstances it wasn't at all out of character for him to have inspected five of the major facilities in the last 48 hours. This was the final one. Once he inputed a certain bit of code there would be massive unstoppable power surges that should disable the world wide grid and a large chunk of the generating facilities. It wouldn't make any major difference in the long run. There were enough local backup facilities to keep things minimally functional world wide, but the political ramifications would ensure that the current regime would fall. Of course it wouldn't be his hand that inputed the initialization code, but that only needed for him to speak make the briefest of contacts with a certain disgruntled worker, then the deed would be done and no one would be the wiser. He smiled as he sat down at the desk in the office set aside for him during his visits. He'd been working for quite sometime on Ramirez. On ever visit he was careful to ratchet up the mans discontent by tiny fractions. Now the man had a file half an inch thick, but was just too good of a worker to be let go, and he was the only one with the depth of knowledge for certain systems that management was afraid to lose, besides apart from his discontent he was pretty likeable. Best of all he wouldn't have any connection to Coulter in anyone's minds.

Late, late at night. There's a flash of light and Steve, wearing a maintenance uniform, teleports into the office building for a power plant. He moves around like he is supposed to be there and knows where he's going. As he moves he talks to Lorean and Amber.

*I really should hear anyone before they see me, but if all else fails a maintenance uniform is much more stealthy than a ninja costume. Light to no security at this point. I'm inside the wall so I'm supposed to be here. And this is an office building. Even if some idiot did something stupid nothing around here could go boom.*

*Targets office... hmm... he has a room with a door. Well good for him. Door is locked, and the standard skeleton key works. One would suspect I did my homework.*

*Let me guess, engineer promoted to supervisor, yep. Just like every other engineer I've met, he's got a set of dusty technical books, 'just in case I need them'. They all have about two years worth of dust on them. Bet that's the last time he changed offices and he hasn't opened them in a decade.*

*Let's just get out the dead-fly-cam.* Steve got out a sealed container and with a pair of tweezers took out the high tech camera. *Wow. It really does look like a dead fly. And I think it will sit nicely on top of the CRC here. And then I'll add one more to the top of that picture, then I'll plant the bird's nest amplifier and I'm out of here.* Steve carefully positioned the "flies" to make them hard to see but also used his 'I know you're seeing me' sense to make they were working.

Finishing up, he closed and locked the door then had Lorean teleport him up.

Joani was slowly coming to terms with the situation. She still didn't like where everything was going but at least they had a plan at hand and she could distract herself by remaining focused on the job. Over the last days she never left the Presidents side, helping him wherever she could, going through security protocols and even scanning and sampling personally everything he drank or ate - just in case it was poisoned.

This wasn't the world she tried and helped to built. All this warmongering was not good. Even with the educational programs they've established and the high moral standards everyone lived and strived for it bore too many loopholes for those who wanted to take advantage of it.

Joani realized that this was the time for Novas like Ulric, Cody, Andrew and Steve. Earths future path lay in their hands - she was just a soldier bracing herself for the tide that the storm of uncertainty birthed.

Omar saw the look of uncertainty in Joani whenever he saw her. He had similar feelings. Because of the negative emotions associated with such a thing, Omar did his best to distract himself. One of the best ways for Omar to do that was to excersize.

At times, he invited Joani to spar with him in the gym. At other times, he dragged Andrew or one of the others into there. It was his way of coping with their current situation. He and the others had spent almost a century fighting the evil side of man's nature. For all of it to collapse now, made him ill. Dedication to his original cornerstone, wrestling, kept him focused. If the crap flowed into the river, Omar wanted to be there to stop it.

Zero Hour

In the Octogon, Martin Abersdale sat in a good mood, today's meeting would seal the fate of the pompous windbag that he worked for and set the stage for his own rise to power. The havoc that he and his associates would unleash would lead to the downfall of this current government. He was a little concerned that nothing had happened yet at the ship yards, that was supposed to be the opening gambit of the coup, but it didn't matter. That was only a minor piece of the puzzle and he'd never really been comfortable with the idea of leaving Earth vulnerable to alien attack even if it would work to their advantage.

Meanwhile, in the primary power junction facility in Gibraltar, Spain, Adam Coulter was thinking his own dark thoughts. Five minutes and the deed would be done. He would simply brush against Rameriez in the hall on the way to the restroom and implant the necessary instructions, and nothing would ever be traceable to him. Besides, he would the the one to restore power and gain all the glory for himself. He would end up Secretary of Power in the new government, he'd been promised that. That was just the start though. When it was all said and done he would end up one of the richest men in the solar system. He'd make that Steve Courier look like a pauper. Damn novas and their extra long lives!

_____

At the exact same moment in high orbit Lorean silently slid through space above Europe and the unsuspecting conspirators. Aboard, Gabriel, Steve, Cody, Ulric, Morgan, Lorean and Kyria waited in silence staring at a pair of empty rooms on the big screen from the safety of the bridge. On Earth, at Joani and Ulric's villa waited the President, Joani, Omar, and Andrew. The President sat serenely in the best chair in the room, while Joani and Omar tried to be prepared for that which could not be prepared for, and Andrew sat at a terminal ready to immediately implement his backup plan if the next step should not go according to plan.

_____

Adam stood up and prepared to leave the room as he felt Rameriez coming closer to his door. Suddenly he was elsewhere, and before he could react, even to his conditioning, needles stabbed into his neck from opposite directions one hitting the artery that took blood to his brain. He didn't have time to do more than gasp before he was crumpling to the floor unconscious.

In the next room an relaxed Martin, appeared and also felt two needles prick his neck as he fell onto his rear. He didn't even have time to open his eyes and take in his surroundings before he slipped into oblivion.

_____

On the bridge Lorean spoke and sent over the link, "Containment achieved."

Steve says,

"Good. I think we wait a few hours to see if the other shoe will drop. Hopefully not and we can send in the telepaths to undo what they did without power outages and the like."

"In the meantime it's medical scan time, maybe we can get a better idea of what happened to these guys."

Archived