Aberrant: 2011 - Dorming down: How?

Anateus

Okay, suppose you're a new nova. And suppose you've gotten to a point where you'd kinda like to not be a nova for a bit. And there's this technique called "Dorming down" that everyone's talking about, but you can't quite get the hang of it on your own.

Anyone have any tips, tricks, or OpNet sites that are reliable?

I've tried it once. I concentrated while meditating. I visualized my Quantum as a ghostly entity then I put that image in a box inside my mind.

I felt like someone had driven a spike into my brain. Everything seemed out of focus and slowed down. I gave it up before going outside.

Mind you, I'm not a flashy nova and I don't have a problem with Quantum Backlash. I can pass for normal most days.

I dorm. I spend a lot of time dormed actually. Utopia taught me exercises using viualizations where I pictured myself as I was before my eruption, amung other things.

They also said some people just don't have the knack for it, so take that for whatever it's worth.

While I wouldn't necessarily put absolute trust in the folks at your friendly, neighborhood Rashoud Clinic, they did alright by me. I don't 'dorm, but everyone I know who can (present company potentially excluded) either knew it when they erupted or learned it from someone who knew. I hear it's sort of like meditation in that regard; some people have to learn, and some people just have a knack for it.

"Iso," short for "isolation". Essentially it's Skrewdriver and Prussian Blue and Stormfront: music for neo-nazis, but they also hate us "aberrant" types as well. Goose-stepping hate-rock for the embittered masses.

One of those groups had the huevos to send my parents one of their albums. It sucked, both in sound and content.

omg Prussian Blue!? laugh That brings back memories. I still remember the first time I heard them, something like:

"Oh, those two girls are so cute! And you say they're a musical duo? That's darling! Sure, I'd love to give it a listen. ... ... ... Aww, they've got such nice singing voices, and... WAIT, WHAT?! shocked "

Originally Posted By: Mellow
Okay, suppose you're a new nova. And suppose you've gotten to a point where you'd kinda like to not be a nova for a bit. ...
Stop. That's your problem right there.

Originally Posted By: Ravenshire
I can pass for normal most days.
Gack. There's another problem.

Originally Posted By: Alptraum
Because they are foolish and stupid.
I wouldn't phrase it that way... which isn't to say I disagree. "Short sighted" is a better way to put it. The only possible reason for Dorming that I can see is so that we get drunk easier, and I'm sorry that's not much of a reason at all.

We novas are at the top of the heap. We get more money, more women, can drink much more wine, than any baseline can. Yes, I realize it's a heavy burdon... but it's one we need to learn to enjoy.

Ravenshire: Cheers! grin

Originally Posted By: Gabriel Law
Ravenshire, you just said a mouthful my friend. What I wouldn't give to just be another Mr. Nobody in the crowd sometimes. Ah well, can't complain I suppose, we have our role to play on this stage we call life.

Hey, speaking of stages, You might not remember me, Mr. Law, but my parents brought me along on a business meeting with you about a year or two ago. Constellation Sounds, a strictly OpNet label? Anyway, I'm Barry, and I wanted to give you a shout-out. Hope to see you at the TBO Concert.

Chances are I met you briefly, my parents were still in control of Law Enterprises last year around this time. I wish I could say I remember you, but I don't, sorry. I was kind of half baked a lot until last year or so. I do remember something about CS OpNet however.

I hope your endeavors have all gone well since we last met.

Originally Posted By: Gabriel Law
Chances are I met you briefly, my parents were still in control of Law Enterprises last year around this time. I wish I could say I remember you, but I don't, sorry. I was kind of half baked a lot until last year or so. I do remember something about CS OpNet however.

I hope your endeavors have all gone well since we last met.

Well, I can sing now, and I just did a quick gig at the TBO concert! So yeah, I think it's been going great! wink

Ravenshire: Thanks for the assist, man! I think it went well...

• 2 weeks later...
Originally Posted By: Riley
How easy is this skill to learn, anyway? Are we talking "riding a bicycle" or "doing quadrilinear equations in your head while doing ice ballet"?

It was fairly easy for me but I can't speak for learning the skill overall. I can do it almost subconsciously now.

Dorming down is a great way to stay off the Grid when the flies get thick. Flies can't bring down a lion, but let one of those fuckers bite you when they're carrying a virus your immune system can't handle...little fuckers can make your life miserable. Plus, it sucks when you have things to do and you're getting mobbed. Damn, now I know why celebrities go postal on paparazzi. You convince them you're another fly, and they'll all go buzz off somewhere else to piss someone else off.

It's...meditation. Visualize who you were before your mind expanded. Feel yourself folding in on yourself. It takes work, but it can be done.

Originally Posted By: The Paramancer
It's...meditation. Visualize who you were before your mind expanded. Feel yourself folding in on yourself. It takes work, but it can be done.

"Feel myself folding on myself." Okay, I think I know what you're getting at.

As for the rest...wow. Dude, can I buy pot from you? wink

Originally Posted By: Mellow
"Feel myself folding on myself." Okay, I think I know what you're getting at.

As for the rest...wow. Dude, can I buy pot from you? wink

Heh.

Believe it or not, I'm not much of a partier. Too many people use partying as a way to fill the void, and right now I have precious little void to fill. If you have a reason to celebrate, or if you just need to take a mental-health break, that's cool. Just remember: it's a lifestyle, not a life.

And more seriously: I've done some studying on you. Right now, best as I can tell, you're an entertainer and happy to be one. That's also cool. But the instant you diverge from that, and talk about any topics that aren't "safe", you'll be on The Grid and you'll have snipers gunning for you. And no one can play it safe all the time. So practice hard on that Dorming, and get yourself some bolt-holes established.

Originally Posted By: Primal
Screw dorming. It's for those too weak to revel in what they've become.
I hear that.

Dorming down is a great way to stay off the Grid when the flies get thick. Flies can't bring down a lion, but let one of those fuckers bite you when they're carrying a virus your immune system can't handle...little fuckers can make your life miserable.
Sounds like you need stronger allies or better lawyers.

Plus, it sucks when you have things to do and you're getting mobbed.
That's what room service is for, and guarded enclaves, and nova bars... and flight for that matter.

Archived