Big Eyes, Small Mouth (BESM): Nexus Earth - Chapter 1: Fracture-Session 3

Justin OOC

Inside the Student Council room President Hayami felt the spiritual shockwave and doubled over. "I'm so sorry Kai." He fell to his knees and when his head came back up his eyes had changed into an azure cerulean blue unheard of in humanity. "Everyone, something bad has happened to Kai. The Black gate has been opened, and very soon creatures from the other side will pour through. For the moment I can contain them all in this general area but it will take most of my power to create and maintain this enclosed space. I need you, Naien, to remain with me in case I need to draw upon your power. The rest of you hurry, find Kai, seal the gate and destroy anything that's come through. Good luck to all of you. Do not stay together for this. The larger a knot of spirtual power they feel the more of them that will attack. They will be guarding him, so try to use non standard routes, Now Go!"

Silver light shines from the President as his lips begin moving quickly and silently in an ancient chant. Those in the room feel a sort of calming peace radiate from him, but everyone gets the distinct impression they should not even try to touch him.

((OOC ok here we go. Everyone decide who's going with whom and start your search for Kai. The smell of brimstone and charred earth permeates the air and outside all the grass and trees have died and the air is heavy and like ash. The entire city is within the contained space, but there seems to be no humanity present other than you. All is quiet except for the crackling of roiling energy from the gate and the sounds of the demon hordes fighting to come through.))

The ground and walls of the school shake and rumble, and the nearby windows implode spectacularly, throwing shards of glass around. Strange lights dance in the night outside, and unearthly, horrible noises reverberate through the halls.

Lily lowers her arms from shielding her face from the glass and says, "...or maybe we're too late."

When the walls and the ground shaked, Valerie shrieked, even if Japan had quakes much more frequently than Spain and Germany, when the glass shattered she didn't raise her hands to protect herself, all the glass shards bouncing from her skin and body.

No, her eyes and ears have gone beyond that, the horrible jeering and howling from the Black Column of darkness emanating by the school's perimeter. "Wha..what's going on!? We must find Amaya and Kai! We have to..." A renewed wave of Jeering, Howling, and Grinding of Theet hits Valerie like a rain of razors skimming through her skin. She falls to her knees hugging herself "Make it stop, Please, make it stop" muttering to herself, she continiues to listen to the sound of torment and death.

(Er...everyone else is rolling soul, so I guess I will too, even if the GM didn't ask smile Soul roll is 14. http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1210493 )

Lily shoots Georgi a worried look, then hunkers down to be face to face with Valerie.

"Hey...hey, it'll be okay." She reaches out to grasp Valerie's arms in a comforting...and oddly strong...grip. "Whatever this is, we can handle it. Lets just concentrate on Kai and Amaya. I'm sure the others are looking too."

She looks away, towards where the sounds are emanating from.

I just hope he's still alive...and intact...or this whole trip might be for nothing.

"Coach, what's over there?" Lily asks, pointing towards the noise. "I bet that's where Kai is."

When everything exploded around him, Coach Illiyev stood there, stone faced, and unconcerned. The metal and glass, that pierced his skin, fell away a few seconds later as his healing wounds pushed the invading material out of his body. Everyone else seemed to have survived the glass shower as well.

"I..I don't know." Georgi replied, his voice faltering slightly. "Your guess is probably as good as mine."

He didn't want to tell them that he was worried. To do so might frighten them. Still, the sounds coming from the school perimeter were reminiscent of the sounds of the dying on a battlefield. For Georgi, it was unsettling. It looked like for Valerie, though, fear already had hold.

Georgi squatted next to Valerie and put his hand on her shoulder.

"We need to be strong. Right now, others may require our help."

"O...Ok...B..But...Amaya and Kai, the senpais are still alone in this school." Valerie shakily got up, unable to stop looking at the column of black light. "...Do you honestly think that's where Kai is Lily?" Valerie looked a bit different, freaked out yes, but this was not her cheerful, bubbly self.

"If it is, Amaya is most probably there and we have to go find and help both of them."

• 1 month later...

Out in the main yard where most of the council was, Atsushi tried to rise. "I won't let you do this, This gate will close and you will go back!" He began to glow, but just as quickly the Phasewolf struck him, doubling him over its head. "Not now, Aradian, your strength is insufficent, as is theirs. Until next time."

Atsushi's eyes closed as the phasewolf backed away, his vision going black, looking up at a creature of legend, what had been said to be the greats defenders of Aradia. "Kai, I'm so sorry."

As he lost consciousness, the effect of his power failed. everything returned to normal and the couls see the utter devastation the fighting had truly wrought. The entire district was a flame, and they could hear the sounds of combat still raging, the unearthly howl of the giant demons and crackling roar of the flames.

He hit the dust and dirt hard, but by that time the wolf was already bearing up its master. "Mistress, we must leave now. Your injuries require treatment, and my reserves are not wholly formed. Please let me convey you someplace before I lose the "ascendancy" effect."

Inside the building, Kai's eyes snapped open audibly. "Oh my God." He pulled himself to his feet and surged passed Valerie Ryo and Amaya out into the courtyard. He burst out to see the demon who'd started this and he began to glow. "No escape, not for me, certainly not for you." The lights of the gate began to shine, the pillars once again reaching into the sky, one only narrowly missing a police helicopter. "You used me, used my pain, now I will return it to you, I will Destroy it so it cannot be used again!"

"No boy, not here, not now!"

Kai wasn't listening to the phasewolf, a primal scream, almost roar issuing from his mouth. In a voice two octaves deeper than his normal one The words came forth. "Omphalos, the center, radia the northern spire, Enid the Northeastern spire, Cathedral the Northwestern spire, Ikaris, the Southeastern spire, Imago, the Southwestern spire, Bazaroth the Southern spire...."

"Mistress we go now!" The phasewolf shimmered and vanished as Kai said the words. " Bazaroth Lock and Seal!"

The gateway cycled through its colors as engergy flooded from the pillars into both it and its key. The light seemed to fold back in on itself. At the center of it all stood the Student Council and faculty, transfixed by the shining force Kai was wielding. There seemed to be multpile images of him as a side effect of the power he was channeling. He held out his hands and formed the power into a blade. "Now.... Shatter into nothingness!!!!!!!!"

There was another flash of white light that blinds everyone. Though blind they hear the sound of what sounds like an ancient stone gate crashing down, shattering to peices and they see Kai standing at the center. "No more demons." Then he collapses back into unconsciousness.

The blast radiated through the city, shattering windows for miles around. The group could hear sirens wailing, and could they find the moment to just look and breathe, to take solace in their survival.

(( This isn't over yet, so stay with me. Everyone has a chance to post here in the "Aftermath" of the gate's destruction. Once we have that, then I will wrap this chapter up.))

The concussion from the gate's sealing blew Lily off her feet, landing her sitting on the courtyard pavement, a little dazed. The distant secondary explosions, the sound of sirens and the caterwauls of frightened people far away...the smell of ozone and cordite and brimstone...the still lingering pains of wounds still drawing together...it was all too much to take in for a moment. The enormity of what had just happened, what had just ALMOST happened. She'd nearly died. Earth had nearly died. The President and Naien might actually HAVE died.

That was the thought that got Lily moving again, getting unsteadily to her feet even while her mind still reeled. Naien was Hiroga...that Guardian had been Hirogan work. Damn the Federation! If she hadn't lost her ship, she would have KNOWN that! She could have made contact early on, coordinated efforts. She would have known the identities of all the Imperial agents on this world...well, all the ones that were -cooperating- anyway.

She went to Naien and kneeled down to see how bad the injuries were. It helped to have something to do...something to block the rest of it out. Things had changed tonight. The jig was most definitely up, at least here at school. With bluish blood, which the last glow was just now fading from, staining what was left of her school clothes, the time for posing as human was long gone. The same went for the rest of the students and teachers who had stayed. Nothing would ever be the same for any of them...or for the planet.

Georgi managed to keep his footing, unlike his companion Lily, and he walked over to help her. Helping her to his feet, he noticed that everything seemed to turn to normal. Sounds of a panicked and confused city were all around, replacing the otherworldly howls of tormented souls.

He arrived with Lily to where Naien lie, and he watched Lily tend to the wounded ally. Standing a few feet away, he examined his weaponry, and reloaded them from the supplies that seemed to always be present in his large athletic bag.

For others arriving, Georgi looked like a glistening, crimson figure. When they got closer, Georgi looked to be mortally striken, as his clothes were heavy with arterial blood, and large gashes and holes peppered his gym suit. For Georgi, however, that was not the case. His wounds had healed long ago, and his blood volume normal.

I need to get out of these clothes he thought to himself, as he readied himself to head to his office and grab some clean sweats.

Amaya sagged with relief as Kai closed the gate, kneeling in the dirt, supporting herself on a fist and bowing her head. For a long moment after the rumbling and light had faded, she remained there, letting the tension and stark fear drain from her body. When she stood up, she was calm again - calm and determined to find her ward.

It didn't take long; the moment she saw the form in the center of the destruction, she knew who it was. "Kai," she whispered, racing forward to kneel by his prone body. She quickly checked him over, but her concern was unneccesary; other than being unconscious, he didn't have so much as a scratch. Without effort, Amaya picked him pu and cradled him in her arms. She needed to get him away from here, just in case there were more demons around.

She glanced around to see if any of the other students or teachers - Kongouohgodisheok?! - were around.

Ariel felt the blast, as she was making her way into one of the many buildings. Glass was instantly everywhere, and she ducked for cover in a shadow. It took several seconds for her to re-orientate herself, but it did eventually happen. She had no idea what was happening on the other side of the door, exactly, nor was she sure that she wanted to know. It hit her like a brick, but she realized that she wanted to leave this place and to go home. The friendships that she had here were nothing to brag about, and the one thing that Ariel wanted from this place didn’t seem particularly interested in her.

She was finally over her brothers’ death, and now she just wanted to go home. She stood up, and with a swipe of her sword she created a rift to another existence. There was low light coming from inside, and she looked back to the door. She could see the courtyard, and as she mouthed a goodbye she stepped through the hole in space and it closed behind her.

"Am...Amaya-Senpain, is...is Kai-senpai ok?" Valerie crawled her way closer to Kai and Amaya. "Uwuuu..." Valerie broke into tears as she saw the state in which Amaya and Kai were, shakily getting up to her knees Valerie held up the Stock der Zaburei, and it hummes ominiously. "I...I will...protect you and Kai senpai....I won't....let anything get close to you."

A metal whine suddenly came from Val's left leg, and a snap could be heard as Valerie fell back on her butt besides Amaya. "I will protect you both..."

"I don't think there's anything to protect from any more," Amaya said softly. She studied Valerie closely for moment, intrigued. She'd always suspected that there was something different about the girl, but a robot? That was certainly different.

Amaya debated what to do for a long moment; with a nod, she shifted Kai so that he was doubled over shoulder. Bracing her legs wide, she squatted and caught Valerie by an arm. "Up you go," Amaya ordered, standing and pulling the girl up with her. "Lean on me until we can see to that leg, Valerie-kohai."

As they started to limp away from the epicenter, Amaya said, "Kai is going to be ok, once he wakes up, but we need to find the others first. Can you hear them nearby?" She glanced around. "Wasn't... Murazaki Ryo here earlier?"

Her heart was screaming at her to find Kongou, but Amaya ignored it. Her duties came first, before herself and before Kongou. She wasn't sure she believed that, but she was certainly trying to.

(OOC - Kai collapsed in the middle of the courtyard, which means that Lily and Georgi are visible over with the President and Naien, both of whom are still out of it. I think those are the only ones actually in the courtyard though... Someone correct me if I'm wrong. :))

"I can." Valerie leans on Amaya a bit further and wipes the blood from her eyes, concentrating on her listening she looked for a specific sound within the myrid around her, the roars of flames, the crumbling of cinder and the wailing of sirens. The sound of four hearts beating fast together in a small group, their rapid breathing all out of sync.

"Over there!" Valerie pointed and winced right after that, "I will be better in a couple of minutes, but I don't know about them. We should get as fast as possible to them."

"Right." Amaya took a better grip on Valerie's arm. "Let's get over there." Amaya support Valerie as they moved that direction; she didn't allow her smaller companion to dawdle, but she didn't drag her along either.

Over here... please let Kongou be there!

As they approach the group, Amaya could see who was there - and they could see their 'normal' student, walking with the taller, heavier Kai flung over her shoulder and supporting a limping Valerie. "Lily, Georgi... what's wrong with the President and Naien? And have any of you seen any of the others?" Where's Kongou!?

Lily looks up at Amaya and Valerie, a little surprised to see them relatively unhurt. But then again, what was surprising now?

"I'm not sure...the wolf did something to Naien and Hayami...I don't know what. I haven't seen anyone else yet either. It's been chaos out here."

She considers, then adds, "There WERE a couple of huge robot looking things fighting." At the distant sound of buildings collapsing, Lily nods. "Maybe that's them."

Amaya went pale at the comment and the sounds. "That is probably K- them," she agreed, helping Valerie sit down. Her face was thoughtful and worried as she set Kai down carefully next to Naien and the President.

What to do? she wondered. What should I do? Her duty lay here, but Kongou may need her too. He's not a child anymore. He's a grown man, with a giant robot. He can take care of himself.

That didn't change the fact that she wanted to rush after him.

She'd decided that she was going to stay here when she heard herself say, "Who's staying here to care for them, and who's going with me to find the others we're missing?"

"I don't think that's such a good idea," Lily says uncertainly.

"They were fighting these huge demon things...I don't think anyone would stand a chance without some kind of combat machine. And if one of us showed up, it'd just force them to protect that person, instead of concentrating on defeating the demons. Not only could you get killed, but you might distract them and make them lose."

She reaches out to pat Amaya's shoulder. "Have some faith in them."

"Lily is right" Coach Illiyev interjected. "They are far to large for us to engage up close. Of course..." Georgi lifts up his monstrous sniper rifle and sets it on the ground. "...it is entirely possible to help them with a few well placed shots."

Georgi looked for a shooting location facing in the direction the demons chased the others. Emotionless, Georgi attached a large scope to the rifle and lay on the ground. Once prone, he looked for any targets.

"It's not a matter of trust," Amaya said firmly, meeting Lily's gaze. "I have complete trust in Kongou, at the least, more trust than you realize.

"If they were fighting giant demons, then the demons are likely gone, just like the others," Amaya said to both of them. "I imagine that the robots will be getting powered down now, and getting put away... where ever they go when they're not being used. No, I'm worried that the pilots may be injured and in need of help. Plus I want to find the others that we haven't seen yet and try to gather us all in one place. I'll go alone, if I must." The last was given with the firm tone of a promise.

Lily looks at the fallen classmates, then at Amaya.

"Georgi...you're probably better at first aid than I am. I'll do more good helping Amaya than I could here."

She nods at Amaya.

"Lets go then. Take my hands."

The battle-weary, but by now undamaged, redhead holds out her hands to Amaya.

"Captain Ishiyama, we have two distinct Hiroga signatures, along with several more human ones. We even seem to have a Dalaraan Pureblood down there." The power armored Lieutenant reported to his Captain.

"Good Lieutenant Amagi. I will acquire the one in the courtyard, you and team two are to secure the second for R&D. I want the medical team standing by. These people are at the source of the explosion and gate collapse. They will likely need attention. Make sure the division knows to ask and answer no questions. We just do our job and acquire our targets and leave. Captain Hayami will handle the civilians if indeed that's what they are. As it stands, Captain Bordeaux and Khirghiz are taking a stealth team to reign in the two robots and remaining C-class demons."

Captain Raisho Ishiyama, the head of Division 5 of Satoshi Heavy Industries Crisis Response Corps sighed. This was all one huge mess. He wore what seemed like standard anti personnel armor, but was far more than that. His sword rests acrocss his back and both his guns were in their holsters. He hoped violence wouldn't be necessarry here. He just wanted to get it done so Engineering could work the magic.

"As you command Captain." Lieutenant Amagi rejoined team two of the stealth suits and Led them down to the building where the second Hiroga was. Captain Ishiyama meanwhile took a more direct approach. He simply landed next to the Hiroga female on the ground and disengaged his cloaking field. "She's so young, but her potential is at least A-class." He froze when he looked a few meters away at the prone form of President Hayami.

"Atsushi Hayami????" His suprise quickly faded and he summoned his team. "Five -Prime to team one, converge now, medical personnel are to be prepped immediately for emergency evacuation!" A host of "roger's" followed as a dozen white and black suits landed and decloaked. Some bore the red cross of the medical corps, all bore the emblem of Satoshi Heavy Industries Division five.

Quickly the medical corps began preparing both Naien and Atsushi for evacuation. Only then did Captain Ishiyama approach the others, most of whom looked to be students. He saw the young man unconscious and called for another medic. The medic walked over to where Kai was and started giving him a full workup. No one could take their eyes off of the Captain however. "I don't suppose any of you will tell me exactly what's going on here, or why there are two giant mecha battling giant demons and and over Tokyo when moments ago we thought it was a nasty earthquake?"

He speared each of them with a look that seemed able to gaze into their souls. Looking into his eyes made it easy to forget the armaments on his hips and lung on his back. "You have nothing to fear, I'm With Satoshi Heavy Industries Crisis Response Corps. We're going to take your injured friends to our facilities where their injuries can be treated with the utmost care."

He looks to Valerie who is obviously favoring her damaged leg. "We have some people who can help you with that prosthetic as well. Now if you would please, come with me. A helicopter will be here in a moment and we'll be leaving. With the two Mecha and three demons still operating, it isn't safe yet around here, so I will have to ask that all of you come with me." He motioned for a medic and an engineer and nodded to Valerie. "This young lady's prosthetic has been damaged, please assist her to the transport. "

He looked away for a moment and put a hand to his ear. "I understand. Yes Sir, at once."

"The Demons have been destroyed and the Mecha have both survived, though with heavy damage. We are escorting them to the SHI hangar for refit and repair. To my knowledge the pilots are unharmed. Now if you all would please follow me."

Though her heart leapt at the news that Kongou was probably safe, Amaya remained calm. However, the situation itself, was not acceptable. It was also non-negotiable, at least not for them. They were in a position with a serious lack of strength.

Without missing a beat, Amaya flipped over to her usual, gentle and slightly air-headed persona. "I am glad to see you guys. We clearly need some help."

The only reason to go peacefully was Kai. His safety came first, over her own. But Satoshi was a mortal enemy of her people, and she would not forget it.

"Everyone just wait a second," Lily growls, glaring at the Captain with equal parts anger and sullenness.

"First of all, none of this concerns Satoshi. This is all a private matter; a -school- matter, and no one invited you. Second, there's no way I'm going anywhere with you, and third...I did NOT just almost get killed by a demon wolf just to hand Kai over to you now."

She lifts her chin belligerently as the last of her wounds close up, though the bruises are still fading.

When Georgi sees armed men appear, he quickly gets up and breaks down his rifle, ignoring them. Once secured, he checks and clears his submachine gun, and then makes it vanish somewhere on his person. He waives off the medic.

He approaches the Captain, who is already talking to Lily, and gives him a slight bow before introducing himself. "I am Georgi Illiyev, Physical Education teacher, and until the students are safe at home, I am responsible." Georgi smiled at the armed man before continuing.

"And...with all due respect..sir. The young lady is correct. It is a private matter." Georgi's voice takes on an authoritative tone. "Once more, you are a private company, and as such, have no sway here. And the last time I checked, this school was not part of Satoshi Industries. So unless you mean to kidnap us, you had better leave." Georgi gave the captain a dangerous look.

Calmly, Georgi removed his bloody top and tossed it down on the ground. "If you will excuse, I have a shower to take." WIth that, he began to walk towards the faculty showers.

Captain Ishiyama looked displeased. Some people just had to do things the hard way. He looked to Lily and then to Georgi. Young lady I really don't think you grasp just what is going to occur here. First this school recieves a majority of it's funding from SHI. It is our company that will help rebuild this entire sector of Tokyo. Second, THE SHI CRT's are authorized by the Japanese government to handle ANY situation that has been classified as a crisis, which this one has. Third..." He snapped his fingers and suddenly a dozen large combat frame battlesuits appeared.

"Currently I don't want to believe any of you are the CAUSE for this mess. That would make my men very unhappy. We are going to take the boy for medical treatment and there is little you can do to stop any of us. The Mecha and their pilots are being brough in as we speak. I invite you to join them and enjoy our hospitality while we sort this matter out. Please do not waste any more of my time and make your way to the transport helicopter."

There's a suble change in his tone, it isn't as polite anymore, and it's easy to see he is ready to defend himself.

((OOC Georgi the showers were in the gym, which was totally obliterated by the Phasewolf Alpha))

"It sounds like they're in charge, then," Amaya said, moving over to sit on the ground near Kai. As the medical team started working on him, she brushed hair back from his forehead, the picture perfect image of an attentive girlfriend.

The palmed throwing needle in her other hand would have ruined that image, but that wasn't really her problem. They wouldnt' see it until it was too late for them.

One of the Satoshi Industries 'soldiers' got closer to Valerie and offered her his shoulder to lean on, Valerie gracefully accepted but moved aside when she felt the soldier knee's buckle. "I I'm sorry!" She jumped aside. "Do..Don't worry, I will be much better in a bit, thank you."

Val hobbled towards Amaya, who had just sitted besides Kai, taking guard behind her Val clutched the SdZ to hear chest. "I will go with your decision about them Senpai, but it seems many don't like them."

Lily actually becomes a little mollified on seeing the power armor squadron appear. The idea that they thought they'd need all this to catch them was kind of flattering, in an infuriating sort of way. Still...it rankled. And what about honor? What did it mean to fight the phasewolf bravely to the death, then meekly give up when another enemy appeared?

That you choose your battles?

Though the thought was hers, the voice she imagined it spoken with was that of her father. A rough, slightly gravelly baritone that had lectured her long before she entered the Dalaraan Academy on topics of philosophy and politics and war...

A brave warrior will sacrifice his life, if need be, to achieve an objective, even in a losing battle. A wise warrior will choose the battles he can win. An excellent warrior is both wise and brave.

She hadn't understood then, how one could be both brave and wise...it seemed mutually contradictory. You either were willing to die, or you only fought when you could win.

Now she understood.

Eying the power armor again, Lily nods. "Well, when you put it that way...okay then."

Georgi was not happy about the situation. He knew what this group wanted to do to them was wrong, but he also realized that they were outnumbered and outgunned. For now, the safest option would be to play their little game. When an opportuity presented itself, Georgi would take full advantage. For now, he would play the taught crossbow, ready to activate at the appropriate trigger.

"Let us suppose" Georgi grinned, with a sly wink to Lily, "that I refuse your 'hospitality'. Would you shoot me?"

Georgi was playing a gamble..one that might indeed get him shot. What he really wanted to know was just how far they would be willing to go. He wanted to know their resolve.

"You do realize, that I will personally lodge a complaint with the Japanese govenrment, with regards to this unlawful detention. We are not soldiers of yours that you can command. Civilians have rights."

He waited for that to sink in so he could judge any reaction, before continuing. "But, out of respect for the rank you hold, Captain, I will go peacefully."

"Of course not, but nor would I just allow you to go. You are most welcome to voice your complaint. But for now, please follow me." With that Captain Ishiyama turns to lead the group of students and faculty to the waiting tranport. After they board, The windows go opaque and The doors lock without a sound.

"You all never really had a choice, not this time. You belong to us now."

OOC this Ends Chapter 1 session 3 CP awards are 11 CP all around.))

Archived