Writers Group 2007 SIGN UP

Seph OOC

In an effort to get this started and please as many people as possible, I'm putting forth the following proposal for the latter half of the year for the Writers Group 2007. I suppose I'm still open to negotiating terms, but the last time we tried to do that we ended up with a fat lot of el zilcho, so I'll hope you understand if my tolerance for debating fine points is minimal. It's my hope that what I'm putting forth will be agreeable to enough people that we won't need to debate the details.

If you're interested in the Writers Group as put forward, please just leave a post saying so. If enough people show initial interest, I'll take the reins and marshal on with it.

Rules:

Unlike past Writers Groups, there will be no static group allowed into competition every month. If the topic for a given month interests you, write a post and post it by the due date. Participation is open to all players any given month.

Each month will present a new topic for a work of fiction. Some of these are very clear, some call for a take on a theme. The idea is to expand upon the NPrime canon, so ideally all entries will introduce a new element to the forums for the rest of us to play with. Pending Chosen's approval, I mean to use the forum discussed earlier: players can vote for as many stories as they choose, and all stories receiving 70% or greater approval of all voting participants will become official forum canon and considered public domain for all players.

Players are permitted to use canon and forum PCs in their Fictions but are strongly discouraged against using them as anything other than story elements. Writers should ideally receive the permission of any character's player before including them in a Fiction, and a player has the right to negate their character's involvement in a piece of Fiction even if it's voted canon; writers beware.

If it is desired that a clear "winner" be chosen at the end of the year, the writer with the most entries voted into canon will be the determined winner.

Jul-Oct Fiction pieces can be set in 2017 or 2009. The Nov competition is 2009 only and the Dec competition is 2017 only.

Topics:

The topics for the next six months are as follows:

Jul - Create a new individual or organizational antagonist.

Aug - Create a new philanthropic organization.

Sep - Expand upon the theme of 'Moral Ambiguity'.

Oct - Create a new Nova-centered religious or philosophical group, cult, or organization.

Nov - 2009 only. Expand upon the theme of 'Baselines Victorious'.

Dec - 2017 only. Closure! With the published canon material having effectively run its course, this is an opportunity to tie up one of the many loose ends left behind. Entries must not conflict the established Trinity canon and will ideally introduce a new (and hopefully better) element in place of the one sewn up.

Originally Posted By: Seph OOC
By the way: can it be inferred from this action that the >70% = canon motion passes for this function?

You don't think that's jumping the gun a bit? Perhaps it would be wiser to wait and see what is produced prior to accepting everything as canon. As you have it presented there, anything someone writes regardless how off the wall it may be would be considered canon.

Need I remind anyone about a certain individual whose temple idea and Denver idea caused such a ruckus, just to name a couple?

I would recommend judging each piece on a case by case basis. The last thing I would like to see is White Rat and Catalyst collaborating an idea then seeing every baseline on the planet erupt with a 2nd grade education, and you guys having to deal with that.

Just an idea. By all means, continue as you were.

Dave, I think you're confused. You might not be, but just to be sure, let me post the following:

Originally Posted By: Seph OOC
Pending Chosen's approval, I mean to use the forum discussed earlier: players can vote for as many stories as they choose, and all stories receiving 70% or greater approval of all voting participants will become official forum canon and considered public domain for all players. [emphasis mine]

I really doubt that any of the truly asinine ideas will get 70% of the members to approve them. And if that's not enough, I suggest to Seph that he add that the approriate Directors and Chosen both get full veto rights on any idea.

Oh, and this does mean I'll be participating, when and where inspiration strikes me.

• 5 months later...

All right, I realize that nothing's been posted for the month of November, but I've had this story in my personal queue for a while now and I thought I'd write it up since it's perfect for November's stated theme. It's called 'Extras' and it's a first draft and I haven't gone over it and given it the brush-up, so it may be a bit rough. Read if it you wish.

Archived