Maya Flynn

As it seems to be so rampant on these forums, I elected not to vent my frustrations in one of the many trivial threads so rife with it.

To state my feelings bluntly, having read many of the anecdotes, quips, and "discussions" posted recently, I'm of the opinion that the vast majority of you are little more than base liars.

As many of you would apparently have the rest of us believe, you are shining beacons of virtue, tolerance, and generosity overflowing with the very milk of (if you'll pardon the expression) "human" kindness. Your saccharine simpering is enough to induce nausea.

Abhorrent as he is, and content as I would be to simply see him utterly erased from existence, Alptraum seems to be one of the very few on these boards willing to be honest with both himself and everyone else. He makes no grandiose offers of benevolence or charity, offers no sickeningly sweet appellations to those he addresses ("honey," "sweetie," etc.), and makes no pretense of concern.

The rest of you? Ha! Pretend all you like. I'm not so naive as to think anything but that you're either simply insincere (and thus possess some sort of ulterior motive) or else utterly delusional.

If you wish to adamantly believe that it is a deception, neither I or anyone else can convince you to the contrary, but I'd advise you to reconsider. The average person does not tend to be exceedingly mean, aggressive or bitter, and would sincerely help others if he had enough to spare. Most novas, by one reason or another, have their basic needs covered and are free to do more or less as they will, as helping others is something that normally brings personal satisfaction to individuals, I do not find it all that strange that a few of us are dedicated to that end.

Also, I'm naturally nice and help people on my way, but it's not my life's work, Gabriel is not even always nice, or at least PC, and giving away when you have that much isn't exactly a great sacrifice, LiberTeen enjoys herself a lot while doing everything she does, I know, and Troy probably gets paid for it. They're not ulterior motives, explanations or excuses, but proof that we don't claim to be reincarnations of Mother Theresa, simply people that like to treat others well.

Plus, there's a sense of brotherhood between novas. We are, after all, a small minority in a big world.

Originally Posted By: Nyx
...you are shining beacons of virtue, tolerance, and generosity overflowing with the very milk of (if you'll pardon the expression) "human" kindness. Your saccharine simpering is enough to induce nausea.
I don't know what saccharine is, nor do I know what gives you the impression of the rest of that.

Alptraum seems to be one of the very few on these boards willing to be honest with both himself and everyone else. He makes no grandiose offers of benevolence or charity, offers no sickeningly sweet appellations to those he addresses ("honey," "sweetie," etc.), and makes no pretense of concern.

*Ahem*

I'm genuinely sorry you feel that way, Nyx. It must be awfully lonely to go through this world with that perspective. I can't say I envy it. frown

Like Percy already pointed out, if you think that the altruism people show here is fake, there really isn't much anybody can do to convince you otherwise. Whatever you've gone through in your life has probably convinced you that everyone's playing an angle or trying to con you. I know what that's like, and I'm sorry to say that wolves in sheep's clothing are too common a species in this world we live in. frown However, even you must understand that altruism is inherently selfish on some level. Given that perspective, is wanting to do good for other people really so hard to understand? Even if Gabey or Percy only do good things because it makes them feel good, isn't that reason enough? People are motivated by different things, Nyx, so is it so hard to believe that what motivates or gives pleasure to some people might be helping others?

As for Hr. Alptraum, his candor is commendable, and I'm fairly confident that if he ever wanted to do me harm, I wouldn't have to worry about an attack from the back. If being hateful is what makes him happy, then there's little to be said on the matter. But that doesn't make him a more genuine person than Robby, who I can say from experience really is a genuinely honest, sweet, gentle man.

All of this falls under englightened self-interest, Nyx. It makes me happy to make others happy, and that's part of the reason I keep doing what I do. All of us are improving the lot of ourselves both directly (by giving ourselves pleasure) and indirectly (by improving the overall tone of the world in which we live) by helping others. And in all seriousness, some of us are blessed with so much, it's frankly easy to give a little away.

I'd be happy to discuss this with you further sometime, if you wanted to get together. smile

Curious that in order to be true, you need to be a complete sociopath. In my short time as a Nova, i've had to tolerate only baselines and the la foi a défié. The pleasantness, or lack thereof, of Nova's here in comparison is a refreshing change. This is, I believe, a great medium of realism. I think what you expect everybody to be, Nyx, is dead on the inside. Many Nova's here still have a notion of empathy, and care of, I don't care how tedious they are, baseline issues. Expecting everyone to be what you describe is unrealistic, therefore shouldn't even brought to the table.

Originally Posted By: Lina Doritha
la foi a défié

Forgive me in advance, but at the sake of soundign rude, you seem to type in english rather well. Could you pick one language and stick to it?

I've read a few of your posts so far and to be quite honest, you've had me up until the part where you switch languages.

I'm only asking this as a courtesy to others and as a favor to myself.

Please and thank you in advance.

~Gabe.

Sometimes, Mr. Law, but sometimes some words aren't meant for the English language. I like the english language.. I really do. But groups like.. I don't know. Lets say 'Les Catholiques'. Thats pretty obvious. They don't deserve the use of the English language. Some languages I like, and some I think are shit. There are some believes I like, and some that just 'sucer'.

I will continue speaking this way, Monsieur Loi, because this gives me a sense of faith that maybe somethings just don't exist in my world.

Originally Posted By: Lina Doritha
Curious that in order to be true, you need to be a complete sociopath. In my short time as a Nova, i've had to tolerate only baselines and the la foi a défié. The pleasantness, or lack thereof, of Nova's here in comparison is a refreshing change. This is, I believe, a great medium of realism. I think what you expect everybody to be, Nyx, is dead on the inside. Many Nova's here still have a notion of empathy, and care of, I don't care how tedious they are, baseline issues. Expecting everyone to be what you describe is unrealistic, therefore shouldn't even brought to the table.

How quaint. You would presume to tell me what I expect? I hardly consider the OpNet "realism," and your pathetic attempt to tell me what is and is not plausible is laughable at best. I don't encourage sociopathy- merely the shedding of these silly, simpering facades presented to the populace of an OpNet forum.

As for the rest of you...

I neither need nor want your false pity, your oh-so magnanimous offers of kinship, or any further continuation of the behaviors I've already stated I find abhorrent and rather pathetic for a group of supposedly superior beings. I only hope that the lack of dignity and sincerity by which several of you are characterized is not representative of novas as a whole.

I neither need nor want your false pity, your oh-so magnanimous offers of kinship, or any further continuation of the behaviors I've already stated I find abhorrent and rather pathetic for a group of supposedly superior beings. I only hope that the lack of dignity and sincerity by which several of you are characterized is not representative of novas as a whole.

Cunt.

Want to hang out sometime?

I am so amused, Nyx, by your attempt to defend yourself. You come into the forum, guns a blazing about facades. Fun how everyone keeps up this charade even after others start being dicks. Anyway, you come in here, guns a blazing about facades, and shedding them because we're a superior race. Are we superior? Of course. Do we need to show it by being complete, unadulterated dipshits? I think not. We're superior because we are human, and yet we are still more than human. I'm not nice because I think that I will be accepted. I am nice to Novas because I am generally nice to Novas. Unless, of course, they piss me off.

Or worship Dieu. Than they are just pissing me off.

Just because you're not nice doesn't mean it should be the default for all Nova kind.

Is English a second language for you, or have you not yet passed your junior high examinations?

Those are the only reasons I can think of to justify your lack of reading comprehension and a tendency towards pseudo-intellectual rambling interspersed with obscenities.

Interpret my words however you like, Lina. I would be hard-pressed to care any less about your erroneous assumptions. Labor on in ignorance if you so desire.

Archived