Character's MOs

Matryoshka

Here I will post a few of my character's MOs and well you guys can ask what you want or post some of your own.

Singy wants to remove humanity from earth. She wanted to make it so everyone can transcend humanities limits. She researches things like ways to alter DNA, to make people smarter, strong and so on. She also works on machine human interfaces. She invents devices all the time, and finds ways to make things cheaper.

Her back up plan is that she fears that there will be a massive war that will ruin the earth for all life. She spend a lot of resources building an arc that she will try to bring use to save as many people as she can if she has to.

Y.T. is a part of the teragen for simple fact. Novas do not need governments or societies. Their means far out stretch their needs. She could live alone and her only "need" would be company of others. She has no fear of age, sickness or weather ..Only acts of god could threaten her health or well being and or acts of others who willfully wish her harm..Thisactions would have to be done by novas or nation states as of now.

She seeks to live in a world where she can simply live and not worry about petty things like what you look like, where where you born or what gender you are. She is mean and cruel, but mainly out of not caring and lack of empathy.

Ezra, wants to be famous and powerful. Nothing fancy about it.She wants to one day be a leader of some political power.

Ask all you want to ask.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would point to my post above, but there are a few other details I would like point out.One if I did a character profile, I would not tell people so bluntly my character's motives nor ask for feedback. After all if I wright a story and only put a minor value to something you find interesting..Well I would most likely tell you it is of no important to the story. I put forth this post to see if anyone cared what my characters did and why.Seeing the lack of response I know that you guys as whole do not seem to care one bit so as a whole I will not explain myself to you.

That may not be a valid assumption. First, you pretty well described Signy & YT, but who the heck is Ezra. I don't remember an Ezra.

Secondly,

You change your nommes des geurres so often that putting an arbitrary name up there is relatively unhelpful...

You seem to have more than 3 characters, and many of them are posted on with different names... for instance Matryoshka doesn't appear anywhere in the first post.

Therefore, what can we ask questions about? A list of all your characters complete with how you post on them as would be helpful... (sorry if that's a grammatical atrocity) Not necessarily a list of all of their aliases, but at least something so we know what you're posting as for the char.

How come none of them are motivated to purchase a spell checker?

Over three characters, one is a super genius, and none of them can spell or demonstrate the ability to make any sense what so ever. When are you planning on putting more time into your posts to begin proof reading and taking measures that will prevent us from having to try and translate a super genius's super babble.

Oh, and when are they going to have individual personalities? They all seem the same to me. Full of philosophic metaphores and no flippin clue what they're saying.

There, blunt enough for you?

wrong fucking thread, you dumb ass. This not about critie. I simply put this out to see if anyone cared to know more. But what the fuck do you care, Revie poo. You do not care what other think or do, just as long as they do what you say. You say that you are sick of power gamers, yet you make revie...

You say it is a wonder why my character can't buy spell checkers..Well fuck off I have a learning disability and I live with it. You do not like it, well you can ignore me. I do not always use one computer, and sometimes I do not see spelling flaws or read posts and see them the way they should be and not the Way they are. But Fuck it, it is not easy for you, I should be chastised for it. Well fuck off. You are a spoiled child who seems to gets offended because it makes you feel good. I do not try to inter act with you and in fact I would rather if you did not try to interact with me. But there is one damned thing clear I can see, you know shit about me and I do not feel it is worht my time to try to teach you.

And that post right there is why I have no respect for you.

You have a learning disability. Fine. We get that. You have also stated in the past that for short posts you don't see the need to use a spell checker. Fine, that's your choice but you are choosing not to take the time to do something that would make interacting with you easier.

Your disability is yours to deal with or not as you choose, but if you aren't going to take the time and effort to make even your short posts legible then why should any of us put the time and effort into trying to understand what the fuck you are trying to say?

Respect goes both ways. I willingly forgive spelling errors and most simple mistakes if i can at lest understand the point of an individual's post. You want my respect. earn it.

Let's be honest here. Spelling/grammar is only half of the problem. The other half is that most of what Signy/Y.T./Dreamer/et all posts in-character is gibberish regardless of whether or not it holds to the rules of English. It's a non-sensical mish-mosh that makes The Crusader look lucid by comparison... and that's a trick that takes some doing.

Believe it or not, I have read fictions for these characters. And to be blunt, they don't convey the actions and goals to which they have been ascribed by the opening post. In fact, the only stand-out, clear fact about any of them is that Good Alice (or Alice Good, whichever it is this week) is huge and has done some heavy lifting for the public good.

Timeslip, this largely because I largely see little to no feed back to any fiction I do on my own and oddly even less when I try to get into group fictions..We will leave that open for now. Fuck, notice how when I flat out ask people to ask anything theywant , no one really has.. And what should i put hours of my time into stories that are going to be called NC, when people break cannon like there was nothing to it?

I will post more stories in the future but guess as it is normal I give you some and only get demands more.

Not whole true. I stated that I am less likely to use a spell checker on short posts. Not the same thing, but in all honestly fuck off tempest. This thread is not about me.This thread was about me explaining characters. If you can't figure that out, well go back to your own thread about places. If you want to point out flaws in me, start another thread or message me in private.

Sweetheart, you're not the only person with a disability here, but you seem to be the only one not making an effort to communicate on a normal, legible level. Most computers these days have Microsoft Office; use it.

I have completed literary studies and creative writing majors, and I *still* make mistakes in my posts. But I daresay that you can get the gist of mine. Quite frankly, my degree didn't include codebreaking or translation of foreign languages, and that's what reading your posts feels like.

Then there's the whiny, mysterious, angsty, bitchy, superior or just plain annoying characters you create. I concede that I tend to play disadvantaged females from minority backgrounds, usually with some kind of psychic ability, and that I hop from character to character (name to name on some PCs). But I try to keep my PCs relatable in some way, try to avoid doing the same thing, and check up with others before posting something out there. So far, I've yet to see the same consideration from you.

In short: slow down, think a bit more, lose the angst and don't use your disability as an excuse.

Originally Posted By: Y.T.
wrong fucking thread, you dumb ass.

See, that's why I don't invite you over for cake and ice cream.
Quote:
This not about critie. I simply put this out to see if anyone cared to know more.

I did wish to know more, that's why I asked. Pardon if I didn't sugar coat it with niceties. By now you should know, I don't beat around the bush.
Quote:
But what the fuck do you care, Revie poo.

I do care. I'm sure you think otherwise, but to be quite honest (insert which ever title you're using atm) if I didn't care I would not bother replying to your posts, or write this one.
Quote:
You do not care what other think or do, just as long as they do what you say. You say that you are sick of power gamers, yet you make revie...

Okay, yes, I'm a prick. I know this. I know that my personality is coarse and generally have no issues with going off on people and calling them out.

As far as people doing what I say, well, I'm not so sure about that. Were that the case this place would not have such a diverse background and certainly not very fun. I think you're just lashing out at me and frankly you don't know me well enough to make that assumption. No worries, I forgive you.

For Revenant I fall back on the age-old excuse at the sake of sounding cliché': "I know he is powerful, but hey, look at some of the others around here."
Quote:
You say it is a wonder why my character can't buy spell checkers..Well fuck off I have a learning disability and I live with it. You do not like it, well you can ignore me. I do not always use one computer, and sometimes I do not see spelling flaws or read posts and see them the way they should be and not the Way they are. But Fuck it, it is not easy for you, I should be chastised for it.

Okay, so you have a disability. Me too. I've been dyslexic for as long as I can remember. 4th grade math level, and piss poor reading capabilities. I've been there, and done that.

I'll not sit here and tell you that you and I are the same because we've shared a common ailment. We're not, and never will be. Although over the years my reading has vastly improved and I possess an intelligence that I’m rather proud of, I still from time to time have issues (like screwing up every single number on my taxes one year, that was a mess).

I cannot sympathize with you. Once I was aware of my problems I made damn sure I would never allow them to overcome me. I look upon people who hide behind their disabilities with pity because I feel they will always be a slave to their problems and that’s no way to live.
Quote:
Well fuck off.

You already said that. I get it.
Quote:
You are a spoiled child who seems to gets offended because it makes you feel good.

I'm far from a spoiled child. In my years I've starved, slept in alleyways, and nearly froze on the streets while struggling to better my lifestyle and myself. You know little about me, but again, I forgive you.
Quote:
I do not try to inter act with you and in fact I would rather if you did not try to interact with me. But there is one damned thing clear I can see, you know shit about me and I do not feel it is worht my time to try to teach you.

See, this is the part that really bugs me. Dude, how many times have I tried to get along with you? How many? Seriously, I've been polite, I've been jovial, and most of the time you respond with insults, or vulgarities.

You seem to think to think that when I start asking about your ideas and what you intend with them that I'm attacking you. I'm not. If your feeling frisky one day, ask around, ask a few peopel here how many times I've weaseled them into a conversation about their characters or their plans. Lessee... Carver, Wakinyan, Timeslip, Hugin, Slattern, Procyon, Jager, Samhra... news flash pimp, you're not special.

I like discussing these things with people, and yes, I know I come off as a jerk at times simply because I refuse to sugar coat my opinions. Some hate me for it, others appreciate it (I think.) I mean no offense when I debate with players around here, in fact 90% of the time the topics are usually dropped and we go back chatting about other stuff.

I make mistakes, and I welcome criticism. I remember how pissed I got when Waki and Carver pointed out that Revenant Taint was so horribly flawed there was no way he could function. Damn, they spent a good 20 minutes rippin him apart one day. Come to find out I took a huge stupid pill and Reven was jacked. I made the fix, and all was well.

Since then I've come to rely on feedback from players to help me have fun with this place. Yes it irritates me from time to time, and I think all of you are crazy, but it's made me a better writer. If you do not want me to bother you, so be it. Done.

No man or woman here is above the next. I hope that in time you will find ways of coping with your issues and perhaps channel that newfound confidence into your writing.

Best of luck.

~Dave

I will back Reven on this, Dreamer. And no, this is not a dogpile, just me nodding with Reven and agreeing with this statment:

Originally Posted By: Revenant
You seem to think to think that when I start asking about your ideas and what you intend with them that I'm attacking you. I'm not. If your feeling frisky one day, ask around, ask a few peopel here how many times I've weaseled them into a conversation about their characters or their plans. Lessee... Carver, Wakinyan, Timeslip, Hugin, Slattern, Procyon, Jager, Samhra... news flash pimp, you're not special.

I like discussing these things with people, and yes, I know I come off as a jerk at times simply because I refuse to sugar coat my opinions. Some hate me for it, others appreciate it (I think.) I mean no offense when I debate with players around here, in fact 90% of the time the topics are usually dropped and we go back chatting about other stuff.

Reven is rough. He's coarse. He comes off like a major jerk sometimes. But his advice is always well-intended, and often helpful. I have always considered his advice, even if I didn't take it. You've jumped to a conclusion, Dreamer, based on the surface interaction and not going any deeper. And it will be a loss to you if you blow him off completely.

Originally Posted By: Catalyst
Not whole true. I stated that I am less likely to use a spell checker on short posts. Not the same thing, but in all honestly fuck off tempest. This thread is not about me.This thread was about me explaining characters. If you can't figure that out, well go back to your own thread about places. If you want to point out flaws in me, start another thread or message me in private.

Very cute how you attempt to use one of my character's arguments against YT back on me. Sad to say Tempest's Views and opinions don't actually mesh with mine on many, many things. I don't mind thread drift. Conversations evolve and it's always interesting to see how a thread started on one topic evolves into a discussion on a completely different topic.

However, you did ask for me to keep it to the original topic so I shall comply with your request. smile

Please note that these are the impressions that I've been left with. They are not meant to be negative attacks just honest opinions and constructive criticisms. As another note I also want to mention that I tend to skim you longer posts, mainly do to their terrible relashonship with the english language so if I've missed something you've actually brought up that would most likely be the reason. Your typing issues, have already been covered in great length so I won't repeat what I and others have already said on the subject.

So, on to the three characters you've brought up.

Ezra/Gypsy: Fame and Power. These are typical goals of Novas and it's nice to see that there are Novas on the board who represent "average" or "mundane" Novas. This is not a criticism by the way. Tempest is very much a Nova with Mundane goals and no delusions of grandeur at all.

I'm curious about her interest in Political Power. I recall one of your characters having ties to a government (I keep thinking in South America but I could be remembering wrong) and acting as some sort of ambassador. Is this that character? If so, how have you shown her in this role? What are her actual "duties" or is she more of a figurehead? And why exactly does she want political power? Does she just like the thought of being in charge of a country or is there some other reason for her to want that type of power and control?

YT: In my opinion, your weakest character as far as originality. She's a bitchy Terat who hires herself out to baselines to kill other baseline......This has been done to death in my opinion. Hell, the precident for this character type was done in Canon with Epoch (minus the bitchy female part...replace with laconic machismo)!

I have yet to read a fic that involved YT but I'm curious. How does she interpret the beliefs of Teras? Is she a Monster, Marvel, or Portent? How does she work to remold the world to suit her desires? How does she insitute the changes she'd like to see to make the world what she thinks it should be? Have you protrayed any of this in her fictions? Cause I'll be honest, I don't see any of it in her IC posts.

Matryoshka/Signy: Okay this one has so much unused potential it brings me to tears! I vaguely knew Signy was a genius, but she's actively out there trying to make the world a better place? How come we never get to see it?

She's an inventor? This is honestly news to me.

She's building the six million doller man!? My gods that would make for an awesome ongoing story! So where the hell is it?

She's planning/building Noah's (Space) Ark!!!! Why are we not seeing stories about this!?

In the end, What I really want to ask regarding Signy is why she thinks so highly of the human race?

Okay, so you've got a few opinions and a few questions. Now comes the advice/lecture part of this post. In the end, these characters are yours. If you want your readers to get emotionally invested in them then responsibility lies with you, not the reader. You have to put in the effort to show us why we should care about them. You need to portray these characters the way they should be protrayed. You lamented above that no one was interested but to be honest, how much of a reason have you given us to care?

If a book doesn't grab me on the first page and emmediatly draw me in, I put the book down and likely never pick it up again. It's the same here. I'm not obligated to read anything here and having anyone tell me "this is so-and-so's motivation and goals" makes me shrug my shoulders and go "So what?"

So what can you do? A few simple things really. But I'll give one major thing that will help you define and separate your characters in the eyes of the readers here.

Stop with the enigmatic philosophy that says nothing in every post. Having one character that spews philosophical opinion in every post while comitting to very little is fine, but every character you have does this. It often gets hard to tell which character is which because they sound very similar. From the sounds of what you picture, YT is very different from Signy, yet they post the same non-commital "I know something but I'm not going to do more than hint about it" way.

So, there you have it. My opinions, questions, advice and take on things. Please remember that none of this is a personal attack, mearly an attept to give you some of what you asked for.

Half the time I post or put ideas of what Signy will do I get bombed into hell with threats of NC. The real problem is the White wolf failed to take intoaccoun Moore's law and novas...

YT doesn't kill for money. Largely doesn't kill anything anymore. She did most of her killing in the past, predating her teras. She is a monster.

See you all laters.

I would have done more in depth but i was running out of time.

So let's look things over. making human post human is either clearly noncanon or at least verging on it. For starters how would you give them nova like traits, or even superhuman(in the term of above human, not the comic book way) traits and or abilities. I could play it vague and wild, but that does not seem to fly. Take the idea that in I think 2008 they have a device that taps into the human brain, but it costs like 5 resources. Wile that would be a nice toy for the rich, it would hardly be one for the masses. i talked to several people on the site in the chat room, and hit a brick wall on the fact that prices would come down as it would at least be several electronicgenerations later the hardware would be many times cheaper and such. Hell the number of doctors who could install said device would all further reduce the cost... But no, making that cheaper, NC. So I can't damned well hope people to let me make a DNA retro virus or some such genetic altering device to let people develop more complex brains, or even likely "stronger" bodies. I would find it highly unlikely that people would even think aboutletting me play with nanites, quantum computers, 3d printers. So yea I do not put efforts into the 6 billion dollar man plots because well they get shot down even in the mostsedate and mildest forms.

Signy has an asteroid, that has been Cleared out by Exult, and has been transformed into a "hidden" ship. The resources to build the "arc" were largely extracted from the asteroid or places near by. It does not look a ship. I could go into details about it but I find it highly unlikely that if I do it would ever be thought of as canon.

Signy invents roughly 30 things every day, theses things range from self running business plans, computers, inks, alyoids, robots, resource management systems and many more.

She is interested in humanity for three reasons. One she finds that novas are well really cool, but to have novas one must have humans. Or rather novas come form humans. Two she respects the idea that humans wile vastly more limited than novas now, do not always have to be so. Lastly because without humans she would suffer a shit load of pain.

YT I will do later.

Quote:

See, this is the part that really bugs me. Dude, how many times have I tried to get along with you? How many? Seriously, I've been polite, I've been jovial, and most of the time you respond with insults, or vulgarities.

I make mistakes, and I welcome criticism. I remember how pissed I got when Waki and Carver pointed out that Revenant Taint was so horribly flawed there was no way he could function. Damn, they spent a good 20 minutes rippin him apart one day. Come to find out I took a huge stupid pill and Reven was jacked. I made the fix, and all was well.

Since then I've come to rely on feedback from players to help me have fun with this place. Yes it irritates me from time to time, and I think all of you are crazy, but it's made me a better writer. If you do not want me to bother you, so be it. Done.

No man or woman here is above the next. I hope that in time you will find ways of coping with your issues and perhaps channel that newfound confidence into your writing.

Best of luck.

~Dave

I can't force myself to not laugh. The only times I ever recall you being "nice" or "jovial" to me was after I told you that I would rather have you ignore me than interact with you. By witch point it was pointless.

Sure you may jump in and barge in on what other characters do. Other people may like it. I tried to make it plain that I do not. Not only that, I do not recall you ever saying anything out side of, that wouldn't work, or that is stupid. Sorry if I find complete negative feed back pointlessly dull.

In Moore's law..The link witch Dawn put up, you can clearly see pattern of how fast computers would run. As I recall the law is some what changed to be 18 months.

The point being that even once ever 2 years, if you double the power of a computer you get well way faster machines than what hey say you should have in the books. This is barring a break threw caused by a nova

Okay, thanks for the response. A couple of points.

1. In the FAQ is does say that there is a limit to what technology can do. I got dinged on it myself. I had Michael, a sentient computer system. Not allowed so I don't have Michael anymore.

2. Aberrant specifically states a couple of times that the game is not about super tech. If you want to play Iron Man, Dr. Doom or Reed Richards they suggest you try another game.

3. Moore's Law doesn't take into account a couple issues like there is no guarantee that other aspects of the computer (such as RAM, Software, and what have you) is going to increase in complexity and power at the same rate. So, while it's a valid point it isn't an all-powerful stroke that makes everything in the game invalid.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
[
YT: In my opinion, your weakest character as far as originality. She's a bitchy Terat who hires herself out to baselines to kill other baseline......This has been done to death in my opinion. Hell, the precident for this character type was done in Canon with Epoch (minus the bitchy female part...replace with laconic machismo)!

I have yet to read a fic that involved YT but I'm curious. How does she interpret the beliefs of Teras? Is she a Monster, Marvel, or Portent? How does she work to remold the world to suit her desires? How does she insitute the changes she'd like to see to make the world what she thinks it should be? Have you protrayed any of this in her fictions? Cause I'll be honest, I don't see any of it in her IC posts.

Stop with the enigmatic philosophy that says nothing in every post. Having one character that spews philosophical opinion in every post while comitting to very little is fine, but every character you have does this. It often gets hard to tell which character is which because they sound very similar. From the sounds of what you picture, YT is very different from Signy, yet they post the same non-commital "I know something but I'm not going to do more than hint about it" way.

So, there you have it. My opinions, questions, advice and take on things. Please remember that none of this is a personal attack, mearly an attept to give you some of what you asked for.

YT, one has not taken a job as an elite that involes killing in a few years. She never did anything fpr camera or fame. If the job was done right, the only people who knew who she killed were either those who hired her or those who died.

She stopped taking those jobs when she found her emotions again. She does not hold the value of human life to be very high and has killed more than few people scene she stopped taking jobs to kill people, these killing were to achieve her own goals.

She is Married to Narcotic Thrust. A nova who well makes drugs. She is also YT's Teacher when it come to the teras, or at least the person ho brought her into the fold. She views the wasteful and pointless laws of humans to be there to make a baseline of morals, that more often than not lowers great things.

She wile not completly socipathic is rather removed from emtions most of the time. When she has them, she has hard time controlling them. In other words, she is in some ways going threw another childhood, or puberty again. She can however close down her emtional states but once they are there, well they are there and she has to deal with them.

On a side note, this problem comes form the fact that for close to 8 years Yt was suffering from Post Tramatic Stress Disorder, with nova like powers that closed her from emtional contact or context.

She does not like Epoc seek to cull the herd, but rather to seek out what is really inside her. It is not her job to make the one race stronger it her job to become stronger.

Originally Posted By: Muse
1, sure.I understand that.

Alright, cool.

2 You can;t make a machine to make a human almost nova like, but you can make a drug....

Nope, biotechnology is still technology. The Reed Richards with drugs, retro-viruses or what have you is still pretty much the Reed Richards character. Not something Aberrant was designed to support. So, of course the system and the canon don't deal well with it.

3 moore's law really does work with hard drives, ram and nearly every part of the computer speed.

Okay, found this to respond with.

Quote:
Other considerations
Not all aspects of computing technology develop in capacities and speed according to Moore's Law. Random Access Memory (RAM) speeds and hard drive seek times improve at best a few percentage points each year. Since the capacity of RAM and hard drives is increasing much faster than is their access speed, intelligent use of their capacity becomes more and more important. It now makes sense in many cases to trade space for time, such as by precomputing indexes and storing them in ways that facilitate rapid access, at the cost of using more disk and memory space: space is getting cheaper relative to time.

Another, sometimes misunderstood, point is that exponentially improved hardware does not necessarily imply exponentially improved software to go with it. The productivity of software developers most assuredly does not increase exponentially with the improvement in hardware, but by most measures has increased only slowly and fitfully over the decades. Software tends to get larger and more complicated over time, and Wirth's law even states that "Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster".

Moreover, there is popular misconception that the clock speed of a processor determines its speed, also known as the Megahertz Myth. This actually also depends on the number of instructions per tick which can be executed (as well as the complexity of each instruction, see MIPS, RISC and CISC), and so the clock speed can only be used for comparison between two identical circuits. Of course, other factors must be taken into consideration such as the bus size and speed of the peripherals. Therefore, most popular evaluations of "computer speed" are inherently biased, without an understanding of the underlying technology. This was especially true during the Pentium era when popular manufacturers played with public perceptions of speed, focusing on advertising the clock rate of new products.[14]

It is also important to note that transistor density in multi-core CPUs does not necessarily reflect a similar increase in practical computing power, due to the unparallelized nature of most applications.

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moore%27s_Law

Emphasis is mine.

2 You can;t make a machine to make a human almost nova like, but you can make a drug....
True, but it's a mistake to think this is a good thing.

Want muscles like a nova? Have some Mite.
Want a general toon up like a nova? Have some soma.
Even "Nova Proxy" has nasty side effects when used on baselines.
Nova powers are so extreme that they are already self destructive for the wielder, i.e. taint.

Cyborging is a somewhat different issue, and I don't have issues with it... although the tech police certainly would.

Archived