Aberrant: 2011 - Eruption and spirituality

Percivald

Catalyst's post got me thinking on this, but I think this particular focus deserves it's own thread. The main question is: how did your eruption (or rather, not the event in particular, but rather the fact that you are now a nova) interact with your religious or spiritual view? Gaining these... "powers" can sometimes fundamentally change the way we view the world, and I know certain religions hold a specific view towards novas. So how does it all mesh? From life-changing revelations to minor quirks. I think it's rather interesting.

I follow a form of Theravada Buddhism, and it is slightly ironic (and maybe somewhat telling) that I've developed powers sometimes associated with enlightened monks, namely telepathy and telekinesis. I don't think I ever considred this proof that I had achieved any kind of ascension, though, even in the time right after my eruption, when I suffered from a rather inflated ego, I more discarded the concept of enlightenment than placed it upon me. If anything, having this power is distracting. The temptation to use it is constantly there, and many times interferes with proper thought. It's something I must control, overcome. In one of the things that is truly important to me, my powers cannot be used as a tool, they simply prove to be an obstacle. It's ironic.

Originally Posted By: TeleForce
Okay I got the Telekinetic gift too. I love it. Why can't it be used as a tool if it's part of who you are?

I don't really get the whole religious stuff. If there is a god then he's got bigger things to worry about then me.

Oh, it can be used for a lot of things, but how would telekinesis help you spiritually? It simply has no relation. And I have other powers that are even a hindrance. But if you don't understand spirituality I won't bore you with a lengthy explanation.

On a lighter note, it is fun, the moving-things-with-your-mind thing, although I can't do that much with it. I can lift myself up and fly though. Flying is awesome. But I'm hijacking my own thread here.

Originally Posted By: Balm
I don't believe we got our powers from a higher being. It's just a scientific quirk.

Well, that is a view, although not really what I thought I was asking about. Nevertheless, a quick philosophical question: why do you say it was "just a scientific quirk"? Do you believe some things are willed by a higher power and others are explainable by science? Why would one be incompatible with the other?

Well, Maybe we did got them from a higher being. Maybe they are nothing but a scientific quirk.

As far as I know, there is no telling. and people in here have already made up their minds, I think we will have an argument here, but won't lead to a lot of things.

So, lets focus on answering the question of the man!

Where my views of religion changed when I erupted?

Not in the slightest, I see my eruption as just a burst of knowledge, skills and abilities. To be sincere, I felt like Neo from that Matrix film, how he just out of nowhere went from a white collar worker into a incredibly powerful warrior.

For all I complain about my powers, I have to admit, I can do things I couldn't before.

I can dead lift 650 lbs without breaking that much of a sweat, I just found out last night I can duke it out with big burly men that used to scare me to no end, and I can move faster than one would expect from somebody my size.

None of this will ever let me recover from everything my eruption has taken away from me, but at least I was not left defenseless against the world.

Be it a higher being or science, we are what we are, we have to accept it, and learn to live with it.

Why do powers Have to get in the way of enlightenment? Don't they just let you see the world a different way?

Well I'm going to have to explain this more thoroughly, it seems. A certain part of my powers, and certainly the most noticeable part, allow me to convince just about anyone I want to do just about anything I want. Especially if that involves, shall we say, carnal pleasures. That is, if they're not already offering themselves up without much action on my part. The situation that could arise from simply gliding through the pleasures of life "with the mojo on" is rather tempting, very much so. However, on a deeper level I realize that thoughtlessly indulging in physical pleasures will actually beget more suffering in the long term, because such is the nature of things. That is why I must resist the temptation, but believe me, I'm still an 18-year-old guy, and that temptation is constant. And much more distracting than I'd wish.

Oh, and I didn't say that powers have to get in the way. I said my powers got in my way. I certainly can't speak for anybody else.

But, okay wait. I don't get it. I mean I get the part about not putting the hurt on the unwilling but I just don't get this whole denial of pleasure thing.

I could simply quote Buddhist texts on chastity to you until you fell asleep, but that wouldn't really be an answer. Bear with me while I try to explain. I deny myself thoughtless pleasures, with more emphasis on "thoughtless" than "pleasure". Pleasure is distracting, and fleeting at best. Even the greatest of pleasures eventually gives way to suffering. So I advise myself to take everything with moderation, so I can more properly focus on things, and avoid undue suffering, mine and of others. It is not a denial of pleasure, but rather a denial of excess, and I do interpret excessively strict ascetism to be an excess, although many orthodox monks would not agree with me.

In theory I'm Catholic, but I don't practice very much.

Are my gifts a gift from god? Sure. God gives all and is responsible for all, so that one is easy.

As for the rest... my impression is science doesn't really know what to do with us. Which has interesting implications about Christ and some of the other old ones.

Originally Posted By: Percivald
I could simply quote Buddhist texts on chastity to you until you fell asleep, but that wouldn't really be an answer.

No, no it wouldn't.

Quote:
Bear with me while I try to explain. I deny myself thoughtless pleasures, with more emphasis on "thoughtless" than "pleasure". Pleasure is distracting, and fleeting at best. Even the greatest of pleasures eventually gives way to suffering.

Everything gives way to suffering. The Buddhists make the effort not to avoid suffering, but to learn and grow from it.

Quote:
So I advise myself to take everything with moderation, so I can more properly focus on things, and avoid undue suffering, mine and of others.

My intervening in their possible suffering, your halting their spiritual growth.

Quote:
It is not a denial of pleasure, but rather a denial of excess, and I do interpret excessively strict ascetism to be excess, although many orthodox monks would not agree with me.

The Buddhist practices that you are referring too are found in 'The Art of Happiness'. They have to do with reconditioning one's way of thinking, one's outlook, and one's perception and how one relates to other people. It's funny because it's the exact type of thing, any one of us can practice at any time.

It's called respect.

Out of curiosity, how many Buddhist temples do they have out there in New York?

Best of luck in all your struggles.

~Gabe

I am unsure of the whole point of that post, Gabriel. You intended to give me a lecture on my own religion? I do know what I'm talking about, although maybe the abridged explanation didn't convey it all so well, but that wasn't its point anyway. Although, two things: Buddhism is indeed about avoiding (although a more correct description may be "rising above") suffering, and trying not to cause harm and suffering to those around you does not only not impede their spiritual advancement, it is one of the main lessons in the teachings of Buddha.

About the temples, New York is surprisingly brimming with them, but a great majority are Mahayana or associated schools. There's Thervada-inspired meditation centers out there, and I've actually found one where the teacher is quite knowledgeable, and doesn't insist on charging me some ridiculous amount of money for stopping by once a week to clear my mind and discuss teachings. No monks, though, not as far as I know. I don't even know if there are any true Theravada temples in the US. But then I don't imagine orthodox monks agreeing with my views, even if they wasted enough time to listen to them.

I don't preach, nor did I mean that post as any form of an attack. I think trying to avoid suffering is a noble goal. It's outside your reach, but it's still noble.

Besides, Buddhism is not usually seen a religion; more like a psychological philosophy that you can use to enhance your life in a non-theistic way.

But, seriously, abridged? I'm not a spiritual guy but were I to begin inquiring about spirituality and my place in it all I'd go for the truth, not the half written explanation. A look through history can show good and well what happens when a religious fire gets sparked and the people fanning don't know what, or why, they’re fanning it.

Read through it again. The path to enlightenment is paved through the efforts of thousands of life times.

Your heart's in the right place, compassion is a rare quality these days. Especially in Novas.

Peace out,

~Gabe

I was pretty much a "don't care" agnostic growing up. My parents never really pushed me into anything like that. I didn't know exactly what I believed in, then, and while I think I've got a better idea now, the jury, as they say, well, they're still out.

I think the most important effect erupting had on my religious views is that I am convinced now more than ever of the necessity for a solid division between church and state. I don't really care what people believe in their own heads, but once you start reducing other peoples' civil liberties because of myths from a book of questionable origin that you believe just 'cause you do and call it "faith", you have done a disservice to all of your countrymen and the legacy of freedom and liberty of this great nation.

I'm sorry, I can't really think straight. I'm really worried about that little boy.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Originally Posted By: Alptraum
Buddhism. Funny little religion.

What does it matter? We have erupted. If it is a gift from God he did not tell me what to do with my gift and that makes him very naive or very lazy.

Or perhaps it means that there is no God.

Originally Posted By: SuperCav
I consider myself the luckiest person in the world. Nothing more, nothing less.

If God had anything to do with it, he's more cruel than I realized. Look into the Flight 8032 accident a couple months ago. I'm the only survivor.

See my point?
I see it, but I'm not sure it's valid. The point you're making isn't really the "existance of evil" problem, it's the "existance of death".

IMHO;
Evil exists to give choice meaning.
Death exists to give life meaning.

Archived