Warren Verona

This my post stating that I totaly disagree with the rules.

And thank you for locking the thread so none of us could question or state or opinions on some of them.

I wish you all fun, but it's already looking like a bad place play.

I speak only for myself of course, and these are my opinions.

I'll be in 2016 if anyone is looking for me.

I've found one thing already.

Quote:
"Permanency is generally considered to be unbalancing and will be strictly reviewed by the moderation board, and only allowed as an aberration. Powers where the Permanency aberration is easily "worked around" will not be allowed. Uncontrolled as an extra, a strength or an aberration is not allowed."

This directly contradicts the charter, which states:

Quote:
Article 2 – Characters

Section 1, Clause 1 – Characters shall start as novas who have erupted within two months of the character’s introduction to the OpNet – 2008 Board and Fiction areas.

Section 1, Clause 2 – Characters shall be created using the standard character creation rules found within the Aberrant core book and in accordance to any options and restrictions provided in this charter.

Section 1, Clause 3 – Powers, Abilities, and Backgrounds found within all approved materials are available during character creation.

Section 1, Clause 4 – Characters shall be limited to no more than ten (10) points in flaws.

Section 1, Clause 5 – Characters shall begin with no more than five (5) permanent dots of Taint.

Section 1, Clause 6 – Characters shall not be direct copies nor substantial copies of characters already found within other sections of the N!Prime site.

Section 2, Clause 1 – Characters shall be distributed four (4) experience points on the first (1st) day of the month following an active month in the OpNet – 2008 Board and Fiction areas.

Section 2, Clause 2 – Characters shall not be able to purchase a Quantum trait greater than five (5) until the real date of January 1, 2010.

and

Quote:
Section 1 – This charter shall be the supreme rule of the OpNet – 2008 Board and Fiction areas. Rulings made by moderators and decisions made by arbitrators and actions made by characters and players/writers that contravene this charter shall not have any power.

The charter that was drafted specifically for this forum and signed by all participants directly contradicts these new rules, which were decided upon by unknown parties and laid down by Director 2008, who is in Violation of Article 5, Section 1 of the charter in so doing. No provisions are laid down in the charter for the arbitrary amendment of the charter itself or for the imposition of "rules" that are not part of the charter. Therefore, these rules are in violation of the charter. Therefore, null and void.

Originally Posted By: charter
Article 4 – Moderation

Section 2, Clause 1 – Moderators shall be responsible for maintaining the balance, continuity, and integrity of the OpNet – 2008 Board and Fiction areas, including but not limited to the setting and timeline.

The disallowed extras were determined by the moderators to be detrimental to the balance of the OpNet.

The charter contradicts itself several times and then includes a clause that allows it to be contradicted by moderators and higher ups at any time. It's written in a manner that keeps the rules the number one focus of the game and keeps the moderators in complete control of everything at all times.

That's what 2008 was for I imagine, to get everyone back to playing in an environment where super powerful characters did not exist and we as players could not create one just because we thought the world needed a completely invulnerable telepathic warper. That's fine. I'm all for the idea. I'm just a bit jaded about execution.

The charter should be written to protect the players and their rights, not give the moderators ultimate control over the setting. The moderators are here to help us settle character disputes, or rules issues, not hand me something that my lawyer should review before I begin play. As it is written, a moderator can interrupt anything a character is involved in and tell them it never happened and not need to offer up any explanation as to why, and should I agree to the charter and the rules of 2008, I may not dispute that decision.

That's dildos.

Quote:
"Permanency is generally considered to be unbalancing and will be strictly reviewed by the moderation board, and only allowed as an aberration. Powers where the Permanency aberration is easily "worked around" will not be allowed. Uncontrolled as an extra, a strength or an aberration is not allowed."

This is stupid. Seriously, you're the moderators you have to review everything before it goes into play. Why ban something that you have complete control over anyway? If someone hands you a sheet with total crap on it, tell em 'no'. But as it is written now, even if someone has a really great concept that involves a justified use of that strength, they are S.O.L. I’ve seen many great characters with that strength with out it being abused. Give players a chance to impress you.

I know it can be abused, we all do. However we are also required to, before we begin play, hand over our sheet for you to review. As a moderator I expect my sheet to be reviewed fairly and with a non-judgmental point of view. I'm sure that isn't the case, but since the mods are private any disputes are handled through lengthy e-mail juggling disputing something has become a rather tedious.

Honestly, it's too much hassle just to play a game. If I want to play a 30NP character I can make one in 2016 with all the freedom I choose and just consider those characters whom I don't want to associate with due to power levels, as non existent.

For those playing, hey, I wish you the best of luck and I hope you have a great time with it, honestly I do. I'm not attacking the moderators, or the players or the directors. I'm just stating my opinions, and most of you know by now, keeping my opinions to myself is not in my character.

Good luck all.

Originally Posted By: Erin 'Stellar' Donovan
Looks like the rest of Article 5 is all about amending the charter.

That is true. Verbatim:

Quote:
Article 5 – Authority, Amendments, and Approval

Section 1 – This charter shall be the supreme rule of the OpNet – 2008 Board and Fiction areas. Rulings made by moderators and decisions made by arbitrators and actions made by characters and players/writers that contravene this charter shall not have any power.

Section 2, Clause 1 – This charter may be amended by the players/writers of the OpNet – 2008 Board and Fiction areas.

Section 2, Clause 2 – Proposed amendments shall first be submitted to the moderators for approval. Moderators shall be able to modify the proposed amendments.

Section 2, Clause 3 – Proposed amendments that have received moderator approval shall be presented publicly to the players/writers of the OpNet – 2008 Board and Fiction areas. A publicly presented amendment shall be adopted if three-fourths (3/4) of the active and non-moderator players/writers approve of the amendment.

Section 3 – All players/writers shall post a statement with each and every of their characters in the appropriate thread stating they agree and will follow the entirety of this charter and the rules made pursuant to it before their characters can participate in the OpNet – 2008 Board and Fiction areas.

I don't remember voting on any such amendment. I don't even remember reading such an amendment. For that matter, these rules weren't even posited as amendments; they were tacked on with all the grace of a post-it to the Constitution.

Originally Posted By: Director 2008
The disallowed extras were determined by the moderators to be detrimental to the balance of the OpNet.

I'm really glad they discussed this disallowal with the players, since the mods ostensibly exist to serve the players' interests.

AFAICT, the entire section of strengths and weaknesses is optional, meaning any use of it is dragging ST negotiation into the picture. That already puts any character using it out on a limb.

Further, it's been mentioned many times that "Perm Power" is the single most broken and ill considered aspect of the game. This isn't a good combination with ST negotiation. I would have been suprised if Perm had been allowed, its a big can of worms just begging for abuse. I'm sure I could have come up with a seriously broken use (or 6) for it, and I suspect ST didn't want to get into a situation where she/he/they had to judge whether something is only partly broken.

Originally Posted By: Sascha
I'm really glad they discussed this disallowal with the players, since the mods ostensibly exist to serve the players' interests.

The mods work hard to serve the best interests of the site and players. With a public site not everyone will agree with what is in their best interests.

Truth. But in the name of glasnost, I think it would be the path of least resistance to at least make these proceedings public. To publicly post a charter that lays down the Supreme Authority of the 2008 forum and then tack on additional rules with an "Oh yeah, this, too" when said charter outlines specific provisions for adding such amendments is asking for exactly what has happened.

More importantly, if the mods are flexible on these things, they should say so. An outright ban is going to be received far worse than a notice of restriction.

Archived