Into the background.

Hugin

Hey ho, just thought I'd say later for now. Things change, this place has, so have I and I think I'm going to go into lurker mode for awhile now. I don't think I'll leave, but I'm not going to post much anymore.

So, Prodigy, Gerald Haney, Riverhorse Charlie, and N News Service are signing off.

It's been fun at times, and for that I thank a bunch of you out there.

the flaw is not in the site,and as much as I would like to say it was. It isn't at ;east for the most part.

THe two problems that I see are this. It is a dead game. I mean I talk to a lot of gamers and not many have even heard of it.I could go into great details on the effects that has on the game and site like this.But I will not pretend that anyone reading this is a moron.

And two, the game is set in stone too much.It is only a mater of time before novas can no longer interact with humans.Pure and simple, no mater how hard novas try to fight off taint, they will lose.And in the world the future is already set in stone.Now this is also a problem with the staff who messed up the time line.I mean by the time I read all the books, the only groups that I would work with were either barely talked of, or the Aberrant.The other main groups were just evil.

So this site may have it's flaws, but in all honesty it is not the site that is at fault, it what his face...the man who messed up the game, and changed it from game with it's own pit falls too a bastard child of vampire and mage.THis being said, to all it's faults it has one the best systems,and best way of dealing with characters with so much power.

What could make this site better.Well, a chat thing could be good.Maybe a new time line, one where the world is a little more black and white over just black. Maybe less fear of starting new posts?I mean it does not need to be a novel, but if the bored had around 20 active topics a day, or maybe just a few more..the boards would flow must smothers.

And is it just me or did jame post again but I am nto seeing it here?

Bye Prodigy!

Charge the batteries, take the break and hopefully you'll come back refreshed and this place will rock!

<font face="Times New Roman" size="5" color="#BC47ED">W</font><font face="Times New Roman" size="2"><font color="#D673FF">idget,</font><font face="Comic Sans MS" size="1">

Quote:
Originally posted by Chosen:
Out of curiosity, what is the deal with the exodus? Is there something that we should do to make everyone's time here more enjoyable? Is the site no longer needed?
I think it's more of a case of, well, a lot of us have been here for a long time. I still enjoy the place myself, but even I acknowledge that in two years, my life has changed somewhat.

Many of you have noted that I don't post here as much as I used to, well, that's because other priorities have come around, and while I still love it here, well, my girlfriend has noted that being an administrator of a Discussion Board will drain some time. I'm still around though. I've been intending to get back in during the next month or so, and really make sure all the creative energy is put to good use before uni restarts.

But then, I still remember when the Europeans were posting, and they all vanished rather quickly as well. We've had people come and go here, I think just at the moment, since so many people leaving are known as Old Guardsmen, that they're sorta letting people know about it. It's leading to a little observer bias.

Also, to be fair, there hasn't been a large amount of development in the gamelines, which I recall started large amounts of discussion when the board was younger. Most of the questions have been asked and answered.

Also, I have noted that the Opnet Board has started to die down a little. I think that may just be seasonal, the entire board is never particularly active over the Christmas/New Years break, but the Opnet Board is really what draws a lot of people here. I know I've been in semi-lurkerdom (and yes! I am working on Chasing The End, but argh! the Writer's Block!), although I still check the site out every day (well, every day I can, at any rate).

I read the posts every day as well. At least the ones that intrest me, but I rarely post anymore because there is no growth factor here. The world is a static place and the arguments and discussions have repeated themselves to the point where I can almost predict what each character is going to say.

Brining in a new character is just as difficult as they are "brought up to speed" with just a few posts. That is why I stopped playing Seven. He was becomming too jaded too quikly and it just became routine.

I'm going to miss the N! News Service posts as they added some very interesting background to the world, just like I already miss Jack and Shazerahad (God knows I spelled that wrong). Valor of Heroes was brilliant and was Shazerahad's fictional magazine. It's those little details that bring the world to life and with them gone, the boards seem empty somehow.

I'm rambling and I appologize. I guess I just needed to get that all off my chest. I'm not leaving however. There is no way I could abandon this place, no matter how I feel about it's current condition.

There is a rut right now. Someone or something needs to shake things up...

frown

I've seen this happen. Gaming does cause burnout from time to time. Some of the more popular characters have left recently. Although Jack my come back in a couple of years, there are some that have wandered off or have just gone away. Popular characters have either been retired or killed off. Leaving the newer, and still unestablished ones to try to carry the franchise.

Good storylines and threads will occur when someone feels bold enough to break the status quo with a story, or drops in a story seed somewhere for someone else to follow up on.

I have been guilty on several occasions of "staying within the lines" and sticking to an almost broken record like approach to Endeavor. I have been sincerely trying to have Endeavor "grow up". Now I'm just trying to make her feel more comfortable to me. Perhaps I'm trying too hard.

I definately do not want to retire her. I'm unable to completely re-fit her, and I'm not wanting to kill her off either.

I know she is a strange bird. I think though, that she has grown on a few people. Although I think there are some that hate her with a passion as well.

All I can really do is roll with the punches, and try to follow up on what works with her.

Quote:
Out of curiosity, what is the deal with the exodus? Is there something that we should do to make everyone's time here more enjoyable? Is the site no longer needed?
No, it's just our franchise players are leaving or taking breaks.

It's time that the "undercard" talent rises up to be the new "main eventers".

N! Prime is still as viable today as it was when it started. We still have some good and worthwhile characters here.

Vixen,
Walker,
Dr. Troll,
Jager,
Sandy (Who deserves a most improved of 2002 award!),
Twist,
Teknokat,
Dr. "Photon" Holland,
Heck, even you and the Kirbster!
And I can't forget everyone's nova sweethearts, Apep and Ashnod.

Er...
And Endeavor
laugh

N! Prime is not dead yet by any means. And if your name wasn't on my list, step up and represent!

Quote:
Originally posted by Jordan Rossi:
I read the posts every day as well. At least the ones that intrest me, but I rarely post anymore because there is no growth factor here. The world is a static place and the arguments and discussions have repeated themselves to the point where I can almost predict what each character is going to say.

Brining in a new character is just as difficult as they are "brought up to speed" with just a few posts. That is why I stopped playing Seven. He was becomming too jaded too quikly and it just became routine.

I'm going to miss the N! News Service posts as they added some very interesting background to the world, just like I already miss Jack and Shazerahad (God knows I spelled that wrong). Valor of Heroes was brilliant and was Shazerahad's fictional magazine. It's those little details that bring the world to life and with them gone, the boards seem empty somehow.

I'm rambling and I appologize. I guess I just needed to get that all off my chest. I'm not leaving however. There is no way I could abandon this place, no matter how I feel about it's current condition.
I'd like to try to get something started... I just don't know what. frown

Quote:
Originally posted by Kirby1024:
Quote:
I think it's more of a case of, well, a lot of us have been here for a long time. I still enjoy the place myself, but even I acknowledge that in two years, my life has changed somewhat.

Many of you have noted that I don't post here as much as I used to, well, that's because other priorities have come around, and while I still love it here, well, my girlfriend has noted that being an administrator of a Discussion Board will drain some time. I'm still around though. I've been intending to get back in during the next month or so, and really make sure all the creative energy is put to good use before uni restarts.

But then, I still remember when the Europeans were posting, and they all vanished rather quickly as well. We've had people come and go here, I think just at the moment, since so many people leaving are known as Old Guardsmen, that they're sorta letting people know about it. It's leading to a little observer bias.

Also, to be fair, there hasn't been a large amount of development in the gamelines, which I recall started large amounts of discussion when the board was younger. Most of the questions have been asked and answered.

Also, I have noted that the Opnet Board has started to die down a little. I think that may just be seasonal, the entire board is never particularly active over the Christmas/New Years break, but the Opnet Board is really what draws a lot of people here. I know I've been in semi-lurkerdom (and yes! I am working on Chasing The End, but argh! the Writer's Block!), although I still check the site out every day (well, every day I can, at any rate).
Hey, I had a hell of a time running with ya. I'd like to have another go at it. Let's set something up and light a fire under the board's arses!

For what it's worth, Kirby and I are hard at work on a lot of new stuff for the site. The majority of the focus of the site now is the OpNet Board. Until the moderated version takes off, there really isn't a lot that we can do with that. So we are trying to make sure that everything else on the site is able to generate more interest.

The line is dead, but that doesn't mean that we have to roll over. I am willing to do whatever I can to make sure that people have a place to go and enjoy the Aeon Universe for a long time to come. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions on how to keep things going, please let us know.

But there is nothing that we could ever do that could have as big of an impact than getting more people involved with the site. So if you have any friends that like the Aeon Universe but don't interact here, tell em what they are missin. If you go to other web sites where you think people would be interested in N! Prime, let the people there know we exist. Since the Dark Spiral won't accept N! Prime, even posting something on White Wolf's site from time to time can help things out.

Quote:
Originally posted by Endeavor:
Trust me I'm bringing someone.
Someone guaranteed to win a "Character of the Year" Award.
Why thank you but... I'm already here.
:blush:

smile

<font face="Times New Roman" size="5" color="#BC47ED">W</font><font face="Times New Roman" size="2"><font color="#D673FF">idget,</font><font face="Comic Sans MS" size="1">

An idea rutted in history and myth. According to the mynas (sp) the world will end on 12/121/12.Just the world ended with the arrival to the Spanish in 1516.Now, this is an idea,as they projected the ways that their empire would come to an end, do the day. Not the month,or year. Witch would have been a big deal on it;s own. SO why did they let this happen, well, you see the end of the world, doesn't always mean something bad.

My point is, that something big could happen on that day, and start a chain reaction. It could be small at first and grow with time. Or something big. I do not know what, but maybe something like a nova kills the pope, because he keeps women out of the clergy, or it could be that a group of anti-novas skin heads make a plague that targets novas. It may or may not backfire. Or it could be that a nova invents a system that lets people teleport, or one that radically changes the way people live.Or a group of novas letting out a virus that will mutate humans over time to change them all into novas in the next 100-1,000 years?It may have side effects, like killing 1 in 10 or up to 1 in 4.Maybe slightly less harsh ones but ones harsh enough to make people scared and sickened by the idea.Agian just a thought or two

Or maybe Sandy, it could be something as simple as every Nova above a certain power level simply vanishes? The only Novas left are those with a Quantum score of 3 or less.

Or perhaps it marks the day that the Proxies are visited and altered by the Doyen?

Just as the end of the world as we know it doesn't have to be bad, it also doesn't have to be big, and while my first suggestion is world shattering, my second suggestion is quite innocuous. So the Doyen come and create the Proxies as well as give them the technology and understanding to build the prometheus chambers and analyze a persons genetic code to see if they have the potential to become a Psion (which is the same potential for becoming a Nova). The Orders start to form and grow, earlier than cannon states, but that certainly would be interesting.

How would Novas and Psions react to each other? How would Divis and his Teregen react when they found out that Psions and Novas derived from the same potential and that the Proxies were artifically accereating and altering the Psions evolutionary potential to make them what they are?

This (amoung other things) is the basis for an off cannon game I've been developing for a while.

I thought that the aliens making proxies to be kind of corny. I mean do not get me wrong, it was done as tastefully as they could. But any race that is powerful enough to do that, could do better things. I mean the idea that pisions have to go threw that to use their powers. It make the psaids in Aberrant make no sense. I could fully understand having the treatment giving people better ability to control their powers, or the ability to control some things that they couldn't control. But in the end, the more I look at the way trinity handles characters compared to Aberrant.

It looks odd, and rather strange, and not that I think of it. The Doyen, are more of a blessing in the short run,and a curse in the long one. I mean the only thing I can think of that made the psias this way, is that the proxies/doyen were some how suppressing the genes that made novas/psions. But back to the point.

A virus that would in 1,000 years make ever man woman and child have the genes that would set them into novas, would fit along the ideas of game.As in trinity the orders seem to have more psions than there are Aberrant.

Most of the canon doesn't work together.I mean the Aberrant time line seems to be jammed into the trinity one. It is a forced out come, that has little reason.The powers of novas would make it so that "Aberrant have change-grown more powerful-." Page 24 for of the trinity core book.Let's assume that only one in say 50 aberrant have access to level 5 powers.THen, only one in 50 has access to to ecological powers on that scale.That would be what around about 5-10.Each one those could make it so that all of a world turned into Aberrant in a mater of days,and the level psi powers to stop it would be almost unthinkable.ANd what if one to those did it to a order instead?THe simple fact is each and every Aberrant with powers above level four is a threat that nothing short of another aberrant, or a maybe a proxy.so what I am try to get it as that the Aberrants are the only thing that is keeping themselves from wining the war(s).Witch makes little to no sense.

Now back to what I was getting at, is that the canon has been done, note in my thread how I handled proxies.The fact of the mater is that just about all the sides for every topic that the canon have put out, has been done.And thus making something new is just about the only thing that has not been done. Now I am not saying that the canon wouldn't be fun as a table top Game, but even new characters are not new in a field like this, if sticking to cannon

So we can break away form the canon, or start over.clean sweep, new characters, new vies.

I got kind jaded with the board for a while as well.

To Prodigy I say recharge your batteries and come back refreshed sure would be a shame to see the last of Prodigy and N News Service especially out of your characters.

To the moderators I think part of the 'problem' with the board (if there is a problem)is that the game world doesn't change, the game itself is about beings with the power to change the world, but the board world doesn't change as much as the TT game world can. This is both a blessing and a curse; blessing because it makes it easier for newbies to join in; curse because of the vagueness and if someone want's to add to the gameworld. (The alternative philosophy for bleeding off taint being a recent example)

Maybe you could pin down the board timeline more definietly and post a short timeline that could bring newbies up to speed? If someone does something that contributes to the gameworld you could put that in the timeline as well. The board players could help out by letting the moderators know in advance if they were planning anything world changing.

• 2 weeks later...

The timeline is a good idea, and if nothing else it's a good place to start the discussion. I have the technical aspects for it set up already, as it was one of the things that I had always planned on doing for Nova.net. It was just something that always seemed to be a gray area for the OpNet Board though. Anyone else have an opinion on starting a timeline? Also, I would need the continued help from someone with a decent writing ability to maintain it.

There is one problem for adding a timeline to the un-modded board. No one wants to agree on a fixed date, and with all that goes on there, there is no way that the OpNet can follow canon. Because it's stuck in a sort of temporal loop. Perhaps a better idea is once a year clear everything off in the OpNet board, and start fresh there. Or, if you go with the timeline, instead of going with dates, just put the events in the order of what happened when. Sort of an additional faq for the newbies to see when they register. Just so that they don't travel on ground already covered 500 times.

The OpNet is RP made easy because it's self-policed. The problem is that no one has been able to advance it even in a slight degree to push the page foreward into the canon. Perhaps the OpNet board should be considered Outside canon? That could give it some new life.

Besides, all the things that have transpired over the opnet could have taken several days, not months of game time. We just don't know.

I don't think many people will agree with the start fresh idea. There are ~6000 posts on there now, and I don't think that many of the people that contributed to that list will want their posts erased.

I do agree on the dates, as that was part of the reason that I said it was a gray area. I don't think the dates have to be used in the timeline, but a listing of events, which is what you were suggested.

I just want to try and find ways to help facilitate growth in the in-character sections. What we finally decide to do will be up to everyone here. As always, I want to get as much input from everyone as possible.

Archived