Aberrant RPG - Nova second and third generation

Indigo Smith

There isn't an official rule for 2nd & 3rd gen. According to the Adventure & Trinity developers, there is no greater chance for the offspring from a nova to have a node than there is from a baseline. According to the Aberrant developer, 2nd & 3rd generation novas were more powerful than their ancestors and were pure novas.

Neither were officially printed anywhere though, so feel free to do whatever you want in your game. I'll try to find the e-mails when I get some time. Below are a couple of documents that were written back in the day about it.

Reproductive Cycles of Novas

2nd & 3rd Gen Aberrants

It is interesting that this gets put up.

Just as there are answers yet to be made about Aberrant's timeline. At least in print.

I think that Second geneartion novas are possible on earth, and Third generation novas on Eden.

Am I barking up the wrong tree by saying that childeren born of novas, who actually become novas themselves are more stable, but less powerful thatn their parents?

• 9 months later...
Quote:
Originally posted by Chosen:
There isn't an official rule for 2nd & 3rd gen. According to the Adventure & Trinity developers, there is no greater chance for the offspring from a nova to have a node than there is from a baseline. According to the Aberrant developer, 2nd & 3rd generation novas were more powerful than their ancestors and were pure novas.

Neither were officially printed anywhere though, so feel free to do whatever you want in your game. I'll try to find the e-mails when I get some time. Below are a couple of documents that were written back in the day about it.
Reproductive Cycles of Novas
2nd & 3rd Gen Aberrants
This is cool !!!

Has anyone finished the 2nd Gen and 3rd Gen?

What about the ability to become simular to a 2nd or 3rd Gen Nova?

Once a Nova has cleansed all of their Taint through Terat methods (chrysalis), for say 15 Experience they are able to move to become a 2nd Gen Nova?

This would give them all the benifits of a 2nd Gen Nova in respect to Taint.

• 2 years later...

I was recently asked to post the comments of Andrew Bates, the Trinity developer, on 2nd generation novas. This was said shortly after Aberrant was released.

Quote:
The trigger event in the late 1990s boosted the vast majority of nova possibles during that time. Prior to and after that trigger event, it was much more difficult for a nova to erupt -- hence the general lack of super-powered types running around in history and since.,,

It's been stated in Trinity that the offspring of novas/aberrants is no more likely to become a nova himself than is anyone else. In contrast, the children of psions do have a greater likelihood of having latency. Based on that logic, "sterility drugs" shouldn't matter (aside from flat-out not being able to have kids). And don't get me started on why Proteus has been following such an agenda (personally, smacks of corruption within Aeon, but it's not my call to make).

Although there are no canon rules, the hints and suggestions were nicely developed into A Breed Apart. Second gen would be taint resistant, develop earlier, and be generally more powerful and stable. The Trinity Storyteller Handbook Wiki project has some useful thoughts on the subject.

Originally Posted By: Chosen
I was recently asked to post the comments of Andrew Bates, the Trinity developer, on 2nd generation novas. This was said shortly after Aberrant was released.

Quote:
The trigger event in the late 1990s boosted the vast majority of nova possibles during that time. Prior to and after that trigger event, it was much more difficult for a nova to erupt -- hence the general lack of super-powered types running around in history and since.

It's been stated in Trinity that the offspring of novas/aberrants is no more likely to become a nova himself than is anyone else. In contrast, the children of psions do have a greater likelihood of having latency. Based on that logic, "sterility drugs" shouldn't matter (aside from flat-out not being able to have kids). And don't get me started on why Proteus has been following such an agenda (personally, smacks of corruption within Aeon, but it's not my call to make).

As this was released slightly after Aberrant came out I must say that I don't think they followed. The hints given in various books (Teragen, Players Guide) hint that the children of novas have a great chance of being novas themselves. And, indeed, that they possess increases potency in quantum use and resistance to Taint and aberrations (like astronomer said).

So I must say, I don't really accept this quote as anything more than the unofficial thoughts of the developers. At the same time,I am glad that you posted it for it gives a glimpse into the mind of the developers, which is always helpful.

I wouldn't expect anyone that plays Aberrant to agree with the quote. Things were stated in the 2 games that really contradicted each other. I'm glad that you read it for the developer perspective, which is why I wanted to post it.

Originally Posted By: Long
I suppose the main question is this. For the 2017 game are we allowed to have our characters give birth to second genertion novas and raise them as the characters would within the game?

I vote the most emphatic 'NO' possible. Given the option, I think far too many players will take a pass and a convenient dodge on sterility. When it happens once, it's rare and novel. When it happens a half dozen times in as many years, as is presently the case, the whole sterility problem becomes a joke. I bristle at the number of second-gen novas that apparently exist on this board's continuity already; to give other people the carte blanche to add more is something I'm totally opposed to.

Originally Posted By: Seph OOC
...I think far too many players will take a pass and a convenient dodge on sterility.
Yes. The default condition for a nova is supposed to be sterile.

There are known exceptions to this, Terats can visit Bounty, Stamina types can have Health (although with the unlimited experience in 2017 this is also subject to abuse)... and that's pretty much it. No way should it be as simple as someone "choosing" not to take the drugs, given that as of 2007-8 there are no known children.

Quote:
I suppose the main question is this. For the 2017 game are we allowed to have our characters give birth to second genertion novas and raise them as the characters would within the game?
Not sure. I don't see a way to avoid it, but I'd very much like the people doing it to have a better excuse than "didn't take the drugs" or "it's obvious what PU is doing so I didn't take the drugs".

Originally Posted By: Courier
There are known exceptions to this, Terats can visit Bounty,

True! But nothing in the book indicates that she's willing to do that favor to anybody who asks. One would suppose that, at the very least, any applicant would have to have a little Backing with the Teragen and not be on Bounty's bad side. They also have to be willing to relinquish their child after the birth, since all nova children born into the Teragen are kept at the Nursery.

Stamina types can have Health (although with the unlimited experience in 2017 this is also subject to abuse)...

Well, that's precisely the problem I'm talking about. In 2017, making a character fertile really is as simple as adding the word 'Health' to your character sheet.

No way should it be as simple as someone "choosing" not to take the drugs, given that as of 2007-8 there are no known children.

Agreed, which brings me to the other convenient foil, the "I've never taken Mox or Andrinocilin" one. Unless it's somehow established in your character background to the contrary, that's another easy out.

Not sure. I don't see a way to avoid it, but I'd very much like the people doing it to have a better excuse than "didn't take the drugs" or "it's obvious what PU is doing so I didn't take the drugs".

I could see accepting a "If you have a damn good reason" clause, but nova pregnancy, as far as I'm concerned, is something that should remain firmly within the realm of Quantum 6, that is to say, with mod approval, at least.

Archived