z012

Peter, you've got until the end of the week to finish William. If I remember correctly, you said your days off were Tues. - Thurs., so hopefully you'll have time. :)

Everyone else, one more week and we'll be set to go!

Okay, I haven't gotten a submission from Peter, so we're going to go ahead and start without him. Peter - I'll be able to work you in if you can get me a character for a little while into the starting thread. I know life has probably eaten you again, but I want to get the ball rolling before people forget they made characters! ;)

I'm working on stuff today and hope to have the starting thread up by either tonight or sometime tomorrow. Everyone will be in the same thread, so I'll be putting your character's name in bold at the beginning of their section of any post I make. I will be looking to get you guys together within the first thread, so don't worry about starting off in different areas. Also, feel free to ask me questions about Kansas City if you can't find information you need on Google Maps. :)

That said, could I have a rollcall from everyone that they're present and ready to go, as well as where they're starting off? Just makes it easier on me. :D

,, ,,

Yay! Game! :balloon:

Ready to go with Krystal.

Depending on when the threat starts before the grand disappearance, Krystal will either start at her home in Brookside (pretty much this place, with a few minor changes - larger garage, different interior decor, etc, and Krystal is still doing some touch ups/renos on the place, mostly by herself) working, handing in a project at Art Institute International - Kansas City, or running typical errands - groceries, picking up her boyfriend's prescription, etc.

Btw, her boyfriend Ian is out of town at the time for work, chasing down a lead.

Kylie's good to go. I'm flexible as to where she starts, since her work schedule varies. The most likely places will be work (Macy's Furniture Gallery at Oak Park Mall), home (in the "Historic Northeast District" of KC), or out running errands (probably in the Overland Park area).

Sorry for the delay in getting started, been a bit slammed with house stuff the past couple of days. I'll get the intro post up asap, but it's a big 'un, so it might still be a day or two (as I still have a large chunk of house stuff to finish.....guh!).

Mispronounce? How difficult is it to remember 'Kyle'? Geez... give us some credit. Trust me, I don't think anyone will be messing up Karl's name once the meeting take place. Kenny's a pretty popular name. Easy to remember.

Something to keep in mind- Kansas City is in two states, so we may not all necessarily be in Kansas or Missouri at the same time. I mention this because Krystal, for example, has a house in Missouri, and goes to school in Kansas, so if she was calling the police department on her way home, anyone who answered would probably be in MO.

So, I have to do my duty as a native Kansas City girl. And I swear, I'm not trying to be bitchy here, and that I'm mostly just amused, since this is an all-too-common mistake. :D I also promise this is the only time I'll correct anyone on this. But Kansas City is actually in Missouri. The Greater Kansas City area, with all it's suburbs, sits smack on the state line between Kansas and Missouri. However, the main city - the actual downtown area, the historic midtown area, the museums, the Plaza Shopping district for which we're so well known - is all on the Missouri side. Kansas City was actually named before either state existed, after the Kansa Indians who lived in the area. When the states were formed, they used the Missouri river as a state dividing line (until halfway through the city, when it veers east towards St. Louis), and then went straight south from that point as the state border. This is also why Missouri has that odd corner portion of the state that juts further north and west than the rest of the state.

When you live in Kansas City, you jump back and forth a lot between the two states. Mala lives in Kansas, I live in Missouri. I live in Missouri, but work in Kansas. The Kansas side of the Kansas City area is mostly suburbs - really nice ones, actually. Except that, to make it MORE complicated, there is actually a Kansas City, Kansas. It's kind of an overflow city, but trust me, you don't want to spend much time there. It's a pretty rough part of town! Not to be snobby - the Missouri side of KC has lots of rough parts too, including the part I live in, but pretty much all of KCK is not the nicest place, or at least not the most affluent. It's kind of the forgotten, industrial cousin, LOL.

Here's a list of the main cities and suburbs of the GKCA, split up by state, and their rough place on the socio-economic ladder, in case anyone needs it for game flavor (there are exceptions, of course):

Missouri:
Independence (low-mid income)
Sugar Creek (low-mid)
Parkville (mid-high)
North Kansas City (low-mid, and yes, it's *also* a separate city)
Blue Springs (mid)
Lee's Summit (mid-high)

Raytown (low-mid)

Kansas:
Overland Park (mid)
Leawood (mid-high)
Prairie Village (mid-high)
Lenexa (mid)
Olathe (mid-high)
KCK (low-mid)

,, ,,

Kansas City, MO: The City Itself

Northeast KC (low, mostly residential, predominantly ethnic.)

East KC (low, mostly residential, Kauffman Stadiums for football/baseball near Independence border.)

Westport area (low-mid, historic/artsy but a bit rough at night. It's where Ian probably goes to buy his weed.)

Downtown (mid-high, "Power and Light District", "Crossroads Arts District", lots of businesses, nightlife, music halls and stage theaters, the Kauffman Arts Center, and shopping.)

The Plaza (high, Plaza Shopping District, Nelson-Atkins (Art) Museum, old historical homes/mansions.)

South KC (mid-high, mostly residential, suburb-like, near Overland Park and Leawood areas.)

That's it, roughly, in a nutshell. If you want any additional info, this Wikipedia page is a great resource:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansas_City_metropolitan_area

Or me, since I'm obviously a big nerd about my city. :P Also, I just noticed that Vivi posted a two-sentance summary of what I just said. But I've typed it out already, so here you go, LOL. Good reference for flavor text!

Edited: Correction, I though Krystal was going to the Kansas City Art Institute, which is in KCMO. But she is, indeed, going to the Art Institutes International - Kansas City, which is in Lenexa, KS. She's a cross-state commuter, just like me! :D

Thanks, girls. I was aware Kansas City was part of two States, just wasn't sure where the dividing line was. Thought it was a river, but I didn't notice one when looking at the route between the school she attends (part time ;)) and her home.

I'll try to keep this stuff in mind in the future - please, anyone familiar with the city, feel free to correct me or make suggestions for my posts, in regards to the city itself. :)

Thanks for the info.

Archived