Mutants & Masterminds:Azure Game Proposal

z012

ST NOTE: READ THE ENTIRE THREAD, NOT JUST THIS INTIATAL POST.

Azure

System: Mutants & Masterminds, 3rd Edition - PL 5

Setting: Modern Earth just after an event that saw the disappearance of 99% of the human population.

Special Note: This is a game that will begin in one-on-one PMs with me. Characters will not be beginning together and will not be grouped together through ST fiat.

The Set Up:

Characters will begin play just before the disappearance and play through the aftermath. All characters are normal humans, no powers allowed. You are allowed to play an avatar character (a version of yourself) in the game, but do note that this is a game and that conflict and setbacks are integral to compelling narratives. In other words, don't get upset when bad things happen. The character is not you. :)

Mechanics Notes:

I do not like Jack of All Trades and want skills to actually mean something in this game. You may be able to wow me with your character enough to justify JoAT, but don't plan on it.

All weapons and armor are done as "powers", per normal M&M rules, and all will have Removable or Easily Removable applied to them as a device instead of an intrinsic power. This is a requirement, not a suggestion. Don't sweat too much on this, as I'll be following a more "common sense" rule on what's available people (ie, if you go in search of an armory and find one, then you'll have weapons to pick up for free); spending points to permanently have a weapon or armor will represent the skill to maintain such weapons/armor long-term and a tendency to spot such items as you run around the setting. In effect, a weapon or armor that you've paid for might get removed in the course of a scene/thread, but your character will recover it or something only fluff-different, in the course of that or the next thread.

Abilities - The benchmarks are stupid. Especially Strength. Here are the modified benchmarks:

-5 Disabled

-4 Weak, infant

-3 Young child

-2 Child

-1 Teenager

0 Adult

1 Above Average

2 Gifted

3 Genius

4 Best in Nation

5 Peak of Human Potential

That's it. Abilities cap at 5, barring chemical or technological augmentation (and you'll have to go over that with me), so plan on spending PP on skills. They're the "new" powers for Azure! :D

Please post here if you're interested in playing. And questions and whatnot, of course.

EDIT:

On character accounts - As this is going to be a PM game to start with, you don't have to make a new account for the character. That being said, I'm not going to go out of my way to remember your character's name or description if that's not the same as the account name and avatar. That can end up meaning quite a bit of time spent scrolling through past posts and honestly it makes me frustrated and angry. If I can't remember your character's name or description off the top of my head, it's likely to become whatever the account name and avatar look like. Just a fair warning.

I hadn't decided, but I think for amusement value I'm going to go with 11:11 Zulu Time, December 21, 2012. This would be 5:11 AM CST.

What other information are you wanting? If you're wanting a peek behind the curtain of what really happened, you're not going to get that. That's the main mystery of the plot/setting. We're also starting just a touch before that time, with you as players giving me a 'day in the life' opening post and me posting back with what specifically happened around you at the time of the event.

Oh, hell. I made a mistake. You can take the Equipment extra for the armor/weaponry detailed in the book. This has some inherent drawbacks (bonuses don't stack, mostly), but it's totally allowable. Carver, Jer, feel free to adjust your characters and let me know, if you want to change stuff. Sorry, I forgot that I'd looked Equipment over and decided it was fine for most things.

:sorry::blush:

After some consideration on the matter, I'm going to make it a requirement to have an account with the character's name and picture on it. I will be too annoyed and likely to avoid posting with a character/player if they are using an account that doesn't sync up with their character.

Guys, I'm probably gonna be scarce for the next several days, maybe through the weekend. No bad thing, I'm just focused on some work and trying to power through it while I have the inspiration. I may try to sneak in some posts, especially for those of you just starting, but I may be gone until Monday. Just a heads up so you aren't left wondering.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the flu, so I apologize to the three of you that are waiting on me, but it'll probably be a day or two before I can focus enough to do ST posts. I am trying, so it may be earlier, but so far I usually get a sentence or two in and then forget what I'm doing... :(

For the other two, I'm waiting on you guys! ;) *pokepoke*

I've tried making several posts, twice my browser ate them and the third word crashed on me. My point is, I'll get you something soon, Azure. Every time I try I get irritated at the posts I lost (because one of them was just awesome, it flowed like water) and my drive goes kaput. Have faith, I'll get you something.

Adam, I have faith! :)

Jer - It's been three weeks since I last posted for you. Is there an issue or did it just get forgotten?

,, ,,

On that note, are people enjoying the PM forum or would they prefer a more traditional game set-up? While I like the set-up to be able to dribble out setting info to people individually, I don't want the game to flounder because it gets lost in PMs.

Votes?

If we do go to a more traditional set-up, I'll c/p the current PMs into threads and continue on from there.

I'm okay with the current setup, though I admit, I am curious about what other folks are doing...and it would be fun to let others see what my game is up to.

That said, I've no objection to keeping things separate for now. Perhaps as setting info dribbles out more evenly, and more completely, the threads can go public?

I'll have an opinion and vote: I say we go public. First, I'm curious. Second, and this is the biggest reason, if it would help Mala to draw us all together, I am down with that so she's not balancing one millions threads. Having been an ST who has done separate intro threads, I know how rough it can be when you have a ton of posts facing you.

I'm fine on the post count. There's only five PCs so far, so that's not a big deal.

I guess I should ask - do people want me to prod PCs into one group? Originally part of the experiment of this was running a persistent world where people didn't have to end up in the "adventuring party". However, if that's what people want, I can ST-fiat arrange it pretty easily.

Right now of the four active threads, Devon and Mathis are the roughly closest (and farthest ahead) in time, with Lily next and Helena still in the "starting" phase. And Adam loaded up but not started yet.

I think that keeping things separate and super-secret (!) (at least initially) is a very cool idea. It enhances the sense of loneliness and isolation in the setting, and keeps the mysteries mysterious. Once people are all out of the starting box it might be interesting to make it public, as Max said, and see what everyone else is getting up to. I'm fine with not clumping everyone together in one big adventuring party, since it might sort of strain the boundaries of credibility to get us all into the same place at the same time right out of the gate.

Sorry for the break in updates, I've had a bad depression period but I seem to be slowly crawling out of it. I'll be keeping it to PMs for now and look at going public a little bit later in the storyline. Look for updates over the next few days; I'm going to try to get it done today but I want a little leeway if I'm not as up for things later today as I am right now.

Archived