Aberrant: Children of Quantum Fire - Drop the Bombshell [5.8]

Quantum Fire

Time Period: One Week after Jungle Storms

Location: Private Complex in Kinshasa, with both inside and outside areas, and on the edge of the Congo River, walls and trees around the complex up to the river's edge provide privacy

Due to various situations, Maia overstraining herself, the modeling matters had been somewhat delayed, and Shen had a private talk with Anna to settle the matter, then another talk with a old and very dear friend, who agreed to do this is a favor to him. The worlds most beautiful woman, the woman who's face and body had changed the views of thousands, who's presence alone had her surrounded in awed and overawed fans, adored by millions, perhaps even billions, the one woman who had survived openly as a fertile nova for more then a decade.

Jason, the woman who had made that name a unisex name, both men and women had that name these days, named for the nova who made the words beautiful, gorgeous, stunning and awe inspiring seem almost tame, the woman who had made the Barsoom series a household name, the former wrestler, and present actress and singer who had the entire world watching her. Bombshell had been asked by Shen to involve herself with the girls modeling careers, and maybe more, and considering all of the many matters between them, she had agreed with only a few conditions.

So here they were in Kinshasa, on a three day modeling event, modeling evening gowns, lingerie, jewelry, ordiments, and just about everything in between, part of the delay had been an agreement to do a number of different shoots all together. Until Bombshell or Jason showed up, they had the same difficulty with attention, jaws dropped and more, for Bombshell even outshown Maia in terms of physical beauty.

There was also a different effect, and as the girls had gathered, they would find they had a secretary going though the mail that they had gotten, in the dressing room, so they were able to hear. "Request to do the playboy centerfold this coming year, together or individually, not in their contract, but addressed to them, ah, most likely not.. but, well, put it with the acting requests, and party invitations, let the ladies decide.." he tossed the letter in a very small pile of a few dozen letters, talking aloud to himself.

"Proposition, proposition, proposition, .. all trash." He tossed it into a pile of what looked like hundreds of letters, three barrels worth letters, what must be over a thousand of them..

Coraline didn't quite know what to think about that last little observation. So she decided to not think about it, plunking down in a chair looking at her sisters, eufiber rippling through every color of the rainbow as she waited.

So far she was liking what she had seen of Congo so far. It seemed safe. It seemed interesting. It's King was a friend of Uncle Shen's she could see why he was trusted. In short, she wouldn't mind putting down roots and getting back onto the grid here, get a legal identity outside of a DeVrise contract and maybe some Project Proteus file. Maybe. If it kept working out. Which she hoped it did.

"Bombshell sounds like an interesting woman," the young metamorph volunteered with a smile, feaures turning ever so slowly towards to the asiatic this morning, "Just might be someone to give you a break from the center of the spotlight these next few days."

Maia smiled. Bombshell was of course known to her, as an afficionado of high fashion. She looked to Cora. "I'd say so. And After the time I've had, a break would be nice."

She may not have done much, but being constantly reminded of her screw up at least in the eyes of others had gotten old. Still with Justin beside her she'd endured. They were her family after all, they cared, and that was where alot of the agitation had come from.

"I can't wait to actually meet her. My Mother told me she was really nice, but It's been so long since then."

"Looks like it still holds true though."

Alex, for a change, was hanging around the other girls today. She tended to spend a lot of time jetting around the Congo, exploring the jungle. It seemed she was expanding her interest into biological "mechanisms," perhaps to further her plans to create lifelike machines that could spy on people. More than once one of the sisters who didn't need sleep had found Alexandra in a makeshift lab canopy, busily dissecting some new animal she'd found...working out how its bones and muscles and nerves all made it tick. The remains leftover when she was done she simply reduced to free atoms...disintegrating them utterly.

Though it could have been taken to be sinister, anyone who knew Alex would know the truth. She was fighting off boredom. Her real interest in the Congo was exploiting its potential as an allied partner; a Tortuga for their pirate submarine. Einherjar was a busy guy though, and that left Alexandra with plenty of time to spin her many, many wheels. And while the Congo had mineral wealth beyond counting, she was far more interested in its biodiversity. The one thing she couldn't simply create on an 'as needed' basis; life.

"I'm curious about Bombshell," Alex announced, having spent most of the preceding hour still and quiet as a statue, deep in thought. "Sexual identity is so deeply ingrained in human beings, biologically and culturally. To have it unexpectedly switch on you...even if it potentially reflects an inner conflict to begin with...I think it might result in a unique perspective."

Marina's standing by with the others waiting to meet Bombshell. From what she knows, Bombshell sounds like a interesting person to be around. Her Eufiber is in the form of a blue and white dress and her hair currently is bright red.

She chuckles at Alex's comment.

"Just don't make her too uncomfortable with the questions sis. "

spoiler
Using Appearance Alteration

Shen had found Jason conveniently at her Congo home. He smiled fondly: the most beautiful and glamorous woman in the world picking crops and weeds in the communal field of a tiny, picturesque village in the shadow of the Rwenzori Mountains should have been an incongruous site, yet there was a naturalness to her, as if something so basic and pedestrian wasn't beneath her. And knowing Jason as he did, Shen knew it was so. Jason enjoyed the benefits of her lifestyle and career, and yet, didn't take them for granted and tried to make sure her daughter didn't as well. Danica was in the field too, a radiant jewel of a child, laughing with the other children and helping the adults with the crops.

"Jason..." Shen sighed. It was easy to see how the world at large loved and adored this truly singular woman.

"Shen, it's been too long," Jason said in greeting, her soprano pure, rippling music, as she stood up with intoxicating grace and gave her dear friend and former mentor an amused smile. "Needed a break from your wards? People have been talking, And Dani has been missing you."

"Uncky Shen!" Danica squealed in a piping voice, sailing through the air over the neat rows of plants and divebombing Shen, wrapping her slender arms around his waist and looking up at him with the sweetest, most adorable smile imaginable.

"Precious one, I've missed you too," Shen assured her, running his fingers through her silky soft hair of pure gold and silver and scooping her up onto his shoulders. "And, of course, you Jason. Funny you should mention my wards, there is a favour I would ask of you, if you have the time..."

Jason chuckled as she glided up to Shen, seeming to almost float above the ground, and gave him a warm hug and a brief kiss on the lips. "I always have time for you, old friend." Graceful fingers, tipped with flawless, opalescent nails, flicked at the strands of grey in his hair. She nodded towards a modest, but sprawling, house on the edge of the village she had built with her own hands, next to the still, circular lake, gold and silver under the sunlight. "Come inside and tell me of it." Jason gave her daughter a tickle and plucked her off Shen's shoulders and set her on the ground. "And you, honey, have a math lesson to finish."

"Awww!" Danica protested with a pout that could earn her nearly anything from nearly anyone, but her mother was made of sterner stuff.

"Lesson first, then you can pester, Shen."

"'Kay!"

Inside Jason's home, probably her smallest and most rustic, yet one of her favourites, she and Shen settled into a pair of wicker chairs and he told her his thoughts and made his request. "You see, Jason..."

Jason waved a hand negligently. "Not a problem, Shen. I'll make a few calls and set it up. Might be nice to have some others to shoulder the spotlight, eh? Besides, it's been a while since we headed into Kinshasa, time we payed a visit to Ein."

"Ein!" Danica shouted, looking up from her lesson book on the floor.

"Yes dear, but this is for work, and you'll be taking a lesson with you. Do you still want to come?"

Danica scrunched up her nose. "Yes! I'll finish the lesson super-quick so I can play with Unca Ein and see if Morri will play with me."

Jason shook her head, silver mane shimmering and swaying behind her like a thing alive and watched her daughter focus intently on finishing her lesson. Her daughter was far swifter than she had ever been at her age, as she had ever been when she had been a man even. Jason gave Shen a wry smile. "They grow up fast, don't they?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The first Shen's wards heard of Bombshell's arrival was a rising susurration of awe and admiration outside of their suite, murmured acknowledgments, followed by a whisper of soft footsteps, then a musical staccato on the door. "Girls, if you're in there, this is a friend of your foster father's I believe you were expectin,'" Jason inquired, her exquisite voice filling the room as if she was standing in there with them. "Jason Bellefleur."

In the dressing room, the girls could hear their secretary choke, then try to collect himself. It was one thing to know Bombshell was arriving, quite another to hear that glorious voice. Maia was the first to stand up and answer the door, and there stood the woman the entire world knew as Bombshell. Maia's eyes widened and she barely stopped her mouth from dropping open. Objectively, she knew how attractive she was, and here was a woman who if anything, exceeded her, her presence and beauty almost overwhelming, a woman who had lived with the constant attention for more years than she had been alive, and for the most part, bore it with a remarkable equanimity and grace.

Jason was dressed simply in a pair of silvery-grey slacks of soieleau* with a faint, prismatic sheen, open-toed, wedge-heeled sandals, and a V-necked, off-the-shoulder blouse, showcasing the very full swell of her bosom. A pair of rings, each fashioned of a single piece of indigo diamond, hanging from a very fine gold chain nestled in the enticing line of her cleavage. Her pure, silver hair was tied back with a finely wrought hair clip - actually, her eufiber - and fell to her knees in an elaborate braid.

At her side, holding her hand, was an exquisitely cute and adorable child with a wide and curious smile on her face and huge indigo eyes like her mother. Her resemblance to Bombshell was unmistakable, though her hair was short of her shoulders and was gold and silver, rather than just silver. She wore an tunic dress of rippling blue that fell to her knees and a pair of running shoes.

Though she appeared to be a child of ten or eleven, then was something slightly off about her proportions. Her head didn't seem as proportionally large as a normal child's. She lacked much of the baby fat to her body, and her limbs were long and supple and already there was definite hint of mature curves. In figure and size, she almost appeared to be more of a miniature woman rather than a child, but her face and expression were definitely those of a cheerful pre-adolescent... barely.

What immediately caught the girls' eyes however, was the necklace she wore snug around her throat. It appeared to be a string of tiny, perfect spheres of the purest diamond, refracting the light into rainbows hues, and strung on a gossamer thread of the same substance. She waved.

"Hi!"

"Hello girls," Jason murmured after her daughter with a wry grin, ruffling her hair, then sashaying into the suite. "I've been wonderin' when I'd meet Shen's wards. I don't know how he does it - I have my hands full with just this one. Jason Bellefleur-Waters, very pleased to meet you. And this is Danica Joy Bellefleur-Waters."

"Only when I make mom mad," the girl informed them solemnly, her grin blooming once more. "You can call me, Dani! Uncky Shen does."

Soieleau
Soieleau - Literally, French for Water Silk. It is a fabric created by a nova fashion designer in 2010 and which Bombshell was the first to model. Though it has the tensile strength of the strongest silk with only a little stretch, it is as supple and soft as water, designed to drape close to the body, and the way it is worked - not woven - renders it truly seamless.

Maia was abit starstruck, of the assembled sisters, she alone probably had the most familiarity with Jason's body of work, and seeing her in the flesh, well it was as powerful an experience as she'd expected. Able to maintain her composure initially only just barely, She quickly got hold of herself and smiled. "It's a pleasure and an honor to meet you both." It was rare for someone to outshine Maia in sheer attractiveness, and most would expect Maia's slightly competitive nature to kick in, but it didn't. This was a rare moment for her, one battle she couldn't win, and in truth didn't want to.

Since She'd introduced herself and her daughter so openly, Maia felt reciprocation was the order of the day. "I'm Maia St.Croix, these are my sisters, Marina Johns, Coraline Boehm, and Alexandra Hart." She didn't care really if they didn't like her giving out their names, it's not like Marian, Cora and her were big secrets anymore as it stood with their modeling.

She looked to Danica and smiled. "It's very nice to meet you Dani."

Whump. Coraline's private kata of colorshifting eufiber was disrupted as, for the first time since her Apothesis, she was hit hard enough to tinge her thoughts with invading 'pinkness'. Not as bad as her initial overwhelming by Pip, but her thoughts did turn muddled and fuzzy, holding onto a carefully-nuetral expression as she rallied enough focus to remain somewhat herself.

"A pleasure to meet a friend of Uncle Shen's," she answered with a nod and a smooth rising from her chair, more beautifiul than even most novas but only a distant third in this circumstance and glad of it, "And that friend's daughter, too."

She let loose the smile she had been supressing at 'Dani', blue-on-black eyes amused and happy to see at least one nova child who she hadn't met rescuing from danger. Her gaze turned back to Jason and more specifically Jason's clothing, "I don't recognize the material. It's lovely."

Jason nodded graciously, and offered her hand for a shake as Maia introduced her and each of her 'sisters,' lips curving faintly in a private smile. The girls were absolutely stunning - she was glad they hadn't made girls this attractive when she had erupted, who knows who'd she had ended up resembling, and she may have never met Danielle. Jason knew some models and actresses who would already be infuriated just knowing they would have to share the lime-light with girls this attractive. Lydia Divine would be absolutely furious.

Jason gave Coraline an indulgent smile, running a hand down her thigh and plucking as the incredibly smooth and soft material. "Well, it is a rather niche market. For those who want all the glamour of a quantum-crafted fabric, without the chimeric and quantum qualities of eufiber, for the discerning Nova or baseline. It does make for amazing suits and flowing dresses. If you wish, Coraline, I can put a call in to Zinedine. He's the one who developed soieleau, but he's a temperamental French fashion designer, who it will be up to you to convince him to design something for you. To be fair, he has an excellent eye."

The experienced model and megastar flowed across the floor and gracefully sat down in a chair, crossing her fantastically long legs, a foot bouncing lightly as she studied the girls over steepled fingers. Still, her indigo gaze always seemed to know where her daughter was, as Danica puttered around looking at the things left out that they were going to model.

"Let me ask you girls something...," Jason said, her amiable tone holding a hint of seriousness, "are any of you considerin' pursuing modeling beyond the commitments you have already made? I ask, because you may not realize the full effects you may have. Some of you may be strong enough to move mountains, others smart enough to reduce them to rubble, others fast enough to make them no more than an obstacle overcome in an instant. Appearances on the other hand... are truly in the eye of the beholder, and more, their effect isn't as much determined by you as it is determined by them. And I wish to assure you now, all the effects you'll have on others, and perhaps on society itself, will not be ones you are seekin,' or even to your liking."

For a moment, they could see a patina of melancholy cross Jason's heavenly visage, her luminous indigo eyes deepening with recollections of her many experiences. "And you will never know all the effects you will have had on others. I don't say this to scare you or warn you away from such a career. Only so you know and can come to terms with it, however you may." Her lips quirked up at one corner, a subtle smile well known to anyone who had seen Dejah Thoris on Barsoom. "It can be great fun, and you'll meet many people from all walks of life. It's also a chance to travel to places you wouldn't otherwise know about or consider, and a relatively easy source of income, if you are concerned about that and you aren't a financial wizard or able to make gold and diamonds out of corn and peanuts."

She laughed gaily, her voice a silvery multi-tonal harmony. "Trust me, I had never imagined my life landin' me here from originally wantin' to play in the NHL, but it has done well for me and my family." She smiled sadly, her eyes going back to Danica, who was seeing how many bracelets she could get on her arms. "This has, at least."

"I haven't done enough really to tell you if I would want this as a profession the rest of my life, but so far it's been a good experience."

She looked ready to say more, but with more than family around, she didn't. It wasn't Bombshell or Dani, it was more that there were people not totally aware of the situation like their secretary who didn't need to hear things that might be said.

Those examples had been extremely specific. Just how much had Uncle Shen told Jason about their abilities?

"I don't know," volunteered the young metamorph after reflecting on what had been said, similarly concerned about outside ears and things they didn't need to know, "Ask again in five months and a week. We'll probably know by then."

She paused and added with a wry grin, "Thank you for your offer, too. Wasted effort getting anything 'fitted' for me though. I'm never quite the same size twice, an accident of my node."

Jason curved her lips at Coraline into a dazzlingly droll grin as she reached up and tapped her forehead with a pair of elegant fingers. "I understand you fully, Coraline. My own node has played its own grand trick on me." She elaborated with a very demonstrative shrug that made the poor secretary groan. "Still, you may want to give Zinedine a chance - he may be able to design something for your unique needs. The only thing he loves more than bein' insufferable is a challenge."

Neither Maia nor Coraline were particularly adept at hiding their reactions - young indeed - and Jason noted their hesitancy. Knowing there would be time for that later in more private confines, she flowed to her feet, gesturing gracefully at the limited amount of items for the modeling shoot in sight, her indigo eyes twinkling like bright stars. "For now, shall we get you girls started on the modeling shoot? And you and Maia are quite right, there is no need to make a decision yet, or ever, on continuing in this line of work. I was just makin' you aware of something that few models - especially the quantum-blessed ones - bother to think about."

Jason glided across the room to her daughter's side, deftly plucking the bracelets from Danica's wrists despite her giggling protests. "C'mon, Dani, you already have tons of bracelets... and necklaces, and anklets, and rings. You don't need more."

"I want this one! I don't have a dragon one," Danica pouted, hanging onto the finely carved, jade bracelet as her mother raised it and her effortlessly in the air. Feet hanging almost two feet above the ground as Jason held her up to eye level, Danica gave her mother her widest, most pleading puppy-dog stare. "Pleeeeaaase!"

Jason rolled her eyes, but amusement tugged at one corner of her luscious lips. "You know that doesn't work on me, squirt. Besides, it's much too big for you, skinny, little thing you are."

"I'll grow into it! And until then... I can wear it on my arm, a... er... an armlet!" Danica weaseled.

The peerless, silver-haired woman chuckled and shook her head at her sweetly conniving daughter, setting her back down on the ground. "It's not mine to give, Dani and the girls will still need to model it. But maaaaybe, if you ask nicely, Jacob here from the Agency will let you have it when they're done."

Danica spun around with a wide grin on her face as she skipped up to Jacob, the secretary provided by the modeling agency looking like a deer caught in the headlights. Jason felt sorry for the poor man being assaulted by the sheer cuteness of her child. Over Danica's head, Jason made a small motion with her hand, indicating she would cover the cost of the bracelet.

"Jacob, sir, I would be very pleased - no! Honoured! I would be very honoured if - only when you are done with it, of course - if I could keep this pretty dragon bracelet," Danica asked politely with such adorable sweetness Jacob could almost feel his teeth splintering.

Those huge, indigo eyes looking up at him, the jade bracelet held to her chest in her tiny hands, Jacob could feel the sweet beading on his forehead. It wasn't the most impressive piece, not even close - it was a poor quality of jade, heavily mottled, though well carved - but it still wasn't cheap. On the other hand, the girls were going to get to keep everything they modeled and a quite glance told him none of them would mind the precious and precocious girl keeping a single piece. Plus, maybe it would generate future good-will when Danica began truly blossoming. Jason had made it well known she didn't want the modeling agencies and production companies trying to influence and recruit her daughter while she was still a child.

Jacob knelt down on a knee, bringing himself to eye level with the girl, though it didn't make it any easier to resist her. "On behalf of the Agency, we would be very pleased to present you with this bracelet as a gift, once the modeling shoot is over, Danica. It is yours to keep."

Jason snorted softly, a subtle toss of her head making her long silver braid ripple. If Danica started making this a habit, she would need to nip it in the bud, for her - and everyone else's - good. "Jacob, girls, now that my child is done beggin' for a treat," Danica shot her mother an adorable scowl, "shall we get this show started?" Jason's eyes twinkled with their own light as she glanced at Shen's wards, then nodded at the door. "And during the shoot, feel free to ask me anything you wish, girls. I reserve the right to not answer, but I promise, you'll only get the truth."

If it was a real offer, it was a generous one - the stories and rumours surrounding such a public celebrity were rampant and hard to decipher between fact and fiction.

Maia smiled at the interaction, remembering over a decade ago, doing much the same thing to her own mother. She nodded to Jason and smiled. "I'm sure we all have plenty to ask you."

To Alex she chuckled. "I'd invite you to take part, if you like, Alex, it's not like you're unattractive." She knew the genius of the family generally liked to remain behind the scenes, but still it was worth the offer. "I bet the Agency wouldn't mind. Of course you can stay and watch."

"Of course not, Alexandra," Jason assured Alexandra in melodiously affable tones, nodding her agreement to Maia and Marina. "And the offer to answerin' any questions goes to you as well." The older woman - though it was more in bearing than actual physical appearance - gave the genius a wryly serene smile, waving a hand at their surroundings. "Yeah, I know this seems all frivolous, but y'know, a bit of frivolity in your life is a good thing."

"Oh, I'm into frivolity," Alex assured Bombshell. "I just have a different definition than you guys. And thanks, but no thanks on the participating. You don't see Nyx on the cover of Sports Illustrated, and there's a reason for that. Everything we do is scrutinized. Everything reveals things about us. In order for me to do my job, I can't afford to be too public."

"As for my questions...the ones I have in mind are about gender identity and similar themes. Is that okay with Danica here?"

"I doubt this Nyx has your figure either, Alexandra," Jason commented, accepting Alex's demurral with an easy smile. The smile turned a bit wistful as she glanced down at her daughter. "Your questions are fine. Danica has accompanied me to QNA events and when I speak for those afflicted by Hera's Revenge, she understands."

"I have two mothers, though mother Danielle died before I was born," Danica informed Alexandra challengingly, before glancing up at Jason skeptically. Jason's smile deepened. "Tracy Chrenowski was the first to tell me both my moms used to be boys and when I told mother Jason, she said it was true. Then she grounded me for making Tracy eat dirt. I don't know why mom would lie about something like that - and Katya still tries teasing her about it - so I guess it must be true."

Jason sighed a chuckle as she picked up her daughter and sat her down on her shoulders. "Believe what you want, baby, just know, I'll always be your mother." Jason snorted delicately with amusement. "After more than twenty years, there are a surprising many who doubt the veracity or my... origins."

It was a jarring sight, seeing such a devastatingly ravishing woman with a child bouncing on her shoulders as if they were attending a fair, and yet, Jason managed to make it seem natural.and right. Jason tilted her head at Alex invitingly. "Ask, and I'll do my best to answer to your satisfaction."

Jason, the secretary was too overwhelmed to really say much, about seven of the worlds most beautiful women... he counted again, Jason, Maia, Coraline, Jason, Mariana, Alexandra, Danica, Maia, that was eight, no wait, he counted Jason and Maia twice, and Danica was just superhumanly cute.. so .. it was six. He closed his eyes a moment to try and concentrate, but hearing Bombshell's voice sent thrills of up spine it was so beautiful it almost brought tears to his eyes, and the little girl at her side made him feel protective in the extreme.

He opened his eyes again, and it was almost a relief to turn his eyes to the less beautiful Alexandra, looking at Maia and Bombshell was like being in the presence of the Niagara falls with a rainbow overhead, it sent shivers down his spine. Now he knew with Anna's prerequisite for accepting this job was a will of iron and a spine of steel, if he didn't have those things, he would simply be unable to do anything but stammer and stare. It was a good thing that the photographers today were mostly computerized, camera's with only a few folks to direct poses.

"Ladies.. I believe today's shoots are based on lingerie, I'll remain here, and unlike the beach shoots, this should be very private, the walls and such are included with holographic generators, so that no one can see inside, thanks to your sister there. If there is anything you want me to do, I've been assigned as your secretary while you work for the company."

Maia nodded. "Private is good. I'd hate to have to toss someone in the water to cool them off again."

She looked to the other girls. "Want to start slow today, or jump right into the "I can't believe I'm wearing this" area of the selection?"

"Let's get started then," Coraline's chorus chimed in after a good long think as the conversation flowed around her, musing on some of the less... pleasant aspects of her new metamorphic powers. The sooner they got this started, the sooner they could get this done and see what Jason was like away from spying ears, be somewhat honest back. Dani's antics made her smile, too.

She padded over to the items of clothing, taking in the notable lack of material in some of the items on display. Today was going to be interesting. 'Any of our brothers on overwatch today, or is it just Alex and her gadgets backing us up?' she quiered over the link, lips quirking slightly as she considered how'd they react to that piece and that one and... was that even a whole outfit, really... on them.

Alex launched straight to the point, without embarrassment or dithering. "I'm curious about how your sexuality has changed, if at all. Are you still male in your mind and emotions, or has your eruption and physical changes also resulted in mental and emotional changes?"

"I ask, because I've recently undergone fairly extensive physical change as well...I'm interested in understanding parallel cases."

Maia grabbed one of the less revealing outfits and smiled. She disappeared into one of the changing rooms, and put it on, a lacy black number that left her long legs barely covered by a see through nighty, the bra beneath was strapless, and her panties were subdued and covered alot more than others she'd seen to be modeled. "Well I'm ready."

Admonishing Danica to stay with the secretary, Jacob, Jason joined the girls in the changing room, turning her back to them and revealing its slim, sensual elegance as she casually stripped in a fluid movement. In the mirror, Alex could see the contemplative look on Jason's stunning face as she slipped on a pair of garters and a matching bustier of vivid magenta obviously meant for her spectacular measurements.

"I see," Jason murmured. If not as incandescently beautiful as her sisters - or herself - Alexandra was still a rare beauty and with these second gen novas, who knows what she may have looked like when she was younger. Jason pursed her lips, really considering thoughts on her sexuality. "I suppose my... tastes have... adapted some over time. But it is no wonder, really." Jason raised one hand, palm up, to shoulder height. "I lived the first eighteen years of my life - my developmental years - as male." She raised her other. "And the next twenty-two, including bearing and raising a child, as female. Even when I first erupted and 'busted' out as it were, I insisted on the feminine pronoun and preferred it, but that was mostly for convenience and the fact whenever people switched back and forth in regards to me, it always set my teeth on edge. But did my physical changes actually result in mental and emotional changes, or were those the result of my experiences... ?"

Jason sighed, studying herself in the mirror with a mild frown. Considering her appearance, her long silver braid began unraveling on its own, shortening into an artful cascade to her shoulder blades as her flawless, tanned complexion lightened into a luminous fairness. She nodded in satisfaction at the effect and turned to face Alexandra directly.

"Many have said I adjusted very well, but I will tell you the truth that in large part helped from going insane... I first started modeling for a very guy reason." She smiled self-deprecatingly, remember those times. "I had the perfect opportunity to see one of the hottest women in the world posing and wearing whatever I wished, whenever I wished. For quite a long time, I considered myself a man in a woman's body and the sight of myself would turn me on." Her eyes closed and her smile widened, dwelling on her younger years. "Back then, the looks men gave me, it annoyed me, but I knew exactly what they were thinking and how could I really be angry, when I knew I would have done the same thing, eh?"

She gave Alex a one shoulder shrug. "Most believe - myself included - when I erupted, I received my girlfriend's subconscious desires. For a long time, I really feared I also inherited some of her mannerisms and thoughts - since I've been a woman, I've been as likely to cross my legs as not when I sit down, and the like - but it may have been a coping mechanism, saying my eruption 'made' me act that way.

Time passed and I grew to embrace my looks, even enjoyed teasing men at times. I never thought I'd ever willing sleep with a guy, but I'd be lying if I said I was never curious about what it would feel like, especially after simulating the act for a part." Jason sighed with old melancholy. "After Danielle died... well, I erupted as a fantasy woman and I have a fantasy woman's healthy libido. I very much like sex but at the time, being intimate with another woman felt a bit like a betrayal of Danielle's memory, so... I considered an alternative. From prior... experiences, it was hard to admit that I enjoyed it, but I did. Did that acceptance make me think of myself as a woman?" Jason's sleek shoulders rose in a shrug, a tight smile on her lips. "I dunno. To be honest, I don't dwell on whether I'm more of a man or more of a woman anymore, I'm just me. If someone asks, I say I'm a woman with a unique perspective, but I'll readily admit to having once been a boy. Few actually ask about that these days."

Jason smiled wryly, tapping her lips with a long finger. "I'm not sure if I've been helpful in answering your question, Alexandra. All I can really say is, yes, you'll probably change somewhat in thought, but whether it was the change itself or your experiences after, that is subject to debate. Also, nearly everyone one who undergoes such a drastic change has a different reaction or way to deal with it. I'm a spokeswoman for those who have been afflicted with Hera's Revenge, so can say this with some authority. I can get you plenty of literature on the subject and first-hand accounts, if you wish, or see if you can sit in on a support meeting. I hope this had been some help in alleviating your concerns, Alexandra."

Jason glanced at the others girls, appraising what they were wearing then nodded towards the set. "Maia, would you or one of the other girls like to go first while I see if Alexandra has any follow-up questions?"

Maia smiled as she came out. "I'll go. You all have fun playing twenty questions."

The stunning young nova exited the changing room dressed as she was, and heard the poor secretary's sharp inhalation of air. "So, just go out, and they'll tell me how they wish me to pose?"

He gathered himself quickly and nodded.

With that she left her sisters and Jason and Danica to continue, while she faced the cameras first.

"Oh, I think I was unclear about my change," Alex said after a moment of parsing Bombshell's words. "I wasn't male before. My change was going from a body that was biologically female, to a body that is no longer biological at all. I can reconfigure my appearance to be any gender or combination of genders I wish, but for all practical intents and purposes I do not have an actual gender anymore."

"Even so, your change seemed similar in some ways. And, like you, I find that I'm mentally and emotionally comfortable thinking of myself as being my old gender, even though it's no longer true."

She looked pensively at her hand, twisting it this way and that. "I feel like my attachment to that self-image may hold me back someday. I wanted to see if you'd overcome it...and if so, how."

Coraline had found something red and lacy and somewhat less exposing than the other pieces around to try on for her first item this shoot, settling down to listen to Jason's speech. And it was a good speech, too. With a lot in it to think about. But... Alex's response worried her a little inside, the faintest of frowns flickering across her lips. Change was a constant and adaptation to that change a law of survival, but change too much and you could lose yourself. And she didn't want to lose Alex that way.

"Another question after you're done tackling my sister's problem: how long after your eruption did it take for everything to start feeling normal again? These past few weeks have been... surreal, really, even with Uncle Shen and my training and... I'm feeling a little lost when I let myself think about everything that's happening."

"Oh! Hmmm..." Jason mused, giving Alexandra another perusal, more surprised by the claim she wasn't biological than she wasn't technically, female. "Well, I can't claim to know exactly what it is like for those able to shift their genders at will to any degree." She gestured at her exquisite, hourglass figure showcased in a racy set of lingerie. "I went from fully male to what some say is more than enough female, physically. It was my mind alone that went through gradations of sexual identity."

She pursed her enticing lips, pondering. "From friends I know for whom gender is... fluid, I can assure you they still very much have a sexual identity." Her lips curved briefly in an enigmatic smile that suggested... lots. "It's just more variable, sometimes much broader in scope. Some still identify with a single gender, switching only when necessary - for an acting part, say - others switch on a whim or routinely, as if gender is no more than another set of clothes. From what I can see, it's mainly a matter of preference - what you are comfortable with and how comfortable you are with how others treat you."

Jason reached over and laid a soft hand on Alexandra's shoulder, a serious light in her vivacious eyes. "I'm curious, why would you think self-image would hold you back? We are built up by the sum of our experiences, for better and worst. If you are content with who you are, comfortable as you are. that is enough. If you are not, you can strive to make yourself a better person, in any number of ways. But change for change's sake, just because you can, that is not true progress." Jason cocked her head to the side. "If you wish, I can have an acquaintance whose circumstances are more congruent with you own come speak with you."

When Coraline asked her question, Jason chuckled in amusement, a rich, glorious symphony. "Normal, ah! Normal is a relative term, I suppose, especially considering those who are born a nova and those who aren't. If you mean how long before I got used to... this, before I accepted it more than I desired the chance to go back...?"

A short burst of wry, silvery giggles. "Okay, this is going to sound incredibly trite and cheesy, but for me, it's true. It was the second night after I meant my future wife, Danielle, about six months after I erupted. It was the first time I made had made love as a woman and started believing I'd gained more than I lost. You can't control every circumstance and those who try, invariably end up uptight and humourless. Just roll with comes your way and eventually, you'll find a stability that works for you. Don't try to force it."

Jason peeked through the doorway, staying out of sight of Jacob and the photographer so as not to distract them, watching how Maia was doing.

"Self image does hold us back," Alexandra insisted. "Sometimes it's all that holds us back. It defines a subset of one's potential that one is comfortable with exploring, and excludes the rest. That is the definition of holding back."

She gestured at herself. "When I designed this iteration of myself, even as I designed it, I hewed as closely as possible to the human form and mind I'd had previously. Now that I've made that transition, I realize what opportunities I lost in doing so. Now, as I consider my next iteration, I wonder how much of those things I should bring with me. Mechanically, there are many more efficient forms."

"On the other hand, mechanics is not the only consideration. If I am to live among human-formed beings, then social norms have to be taken into account. But I'm not capable of a full range of social activity...so then I have to decide if I want to rectify that in my next iteration, or take social restraints as unnecessary and abandon them completely."

She sighed.

Maia came back inside, having finished the shoot quickly needing only a small handful of poses. She only caught the tail end of Alex's rebuttal, and nodded. "Alex, it's trite to say this to someone as smart as you are, but you cannot plan for everything all the time. If you can change relatively at will, then adapt as you need to. If something doesn't work, then you know for next time. I for one believe you should maintain at least the appearance of humanity, if ever you wish to act beyond the shadows."

"You know that I'll always support you, and that I'm pretty sure that goes for everyone else. Out of Curiosity though, What exactly can't you do socially as you are now?"

The night she'd returned with Justin had been the most she'd really spoken with Alexandra since their change, and Maia was genuinely curious to know just what she'd done.

"Reproduce," Alex said, then cracked a grin. "And yes, the irony of fighting for nova reproductive rights while voluntarily giving up my own fertility isn't lost on me. At the time of my apotheosis, I had thought of reproduction as a purely biological function...one I wouldn't need after eliminating my limited lifespan. It wasn't until I saw Darrick and Gwen that I realized that it's also a social function; part of human pair-bonding."

She shrugged. "In this case, I don't think of it as much of a sacrifice. I have no real need or desire for a romantic relationship with anyone. But conceptually it does represent an unforeseen consequence, which is a bit troubling. It's why I'm spending plenty of time designing my next iteration. I'd prefer not to be blindsided like that again."

Coraline had nodded thanks at the more experienced Nova, "I'll try not to worry too much. It's just... I worked out a balance that worked, for me, to keep me human and sane, and then things started to change and then they *really* changed and now things keep on changing and..."

And then Alex's spiel about Apothesis and nova reproductive rights shattered the young metamorph's train of thought. "Alex! Not here," she snapped, chorus shattering in her upset for a moment.

She looked contrite then, "Sorry. We're just in more public than I feel is safe to talk about that topic right here and now."

When Maia walked out it was to a somewhat stunned pair of photographers, who were tongue tied form several moments as the computerized camera's began to take pictures, and after a moment or two, and a little bit of encouragement from her, they began to direct her poses, but soon enough they were done and she was leaving back into the dressing room area, to allow one of the other girls to begin shooting.

Also, for some really good roleplaying: 1 Baseline XP to everyone in this thread

Coraline nodded agreement and offered an apoligetic glance to Alex over one shoulder before stepping out of the dressing area into the attentions of the photographers. She wasn't quite the quantum flare of good looks that was her older sister, but she was close, so the young metamorph allowed them a moment before gracefully making her way into the focus of the cameras, attentive to instruction and properly smiling and enduring her first turn on the chopping block as best she could.

The girls were witness to a rare sight: the ineffably gracious and charming Bombshell looking utterly flummoxed, one dark, elegant brow curled low, the other arched high, her nose scrunched up slightly, forming a single, perfect farrow, and her enticing red lips parting as her mouth dropped open. It wasn't uncommon that discussion of her sexuality led to talk about her daughter and bearing and raising a child... But it had never come around to someone speaking clinically about having designed out the capability of having a children in herself and yes, when she next redesigned herself, she would include the utility once more, as if she was considering options on the latest model of car.

It was disconcerting, especially in relation to the fact that Jason had been completely surprised about her own natural ability to conceive a child with another woman. A terrifying, wondrous surprise and one she was ever grateful for, even when Danica was at her most trying.

"Um, yes, well, you're quite right in not discounting the ways a child can enrich your life, Alexandra," Jason said, smoothly composing herself. She eyed Alexandra again, noting her youth and logical rationalizations and smirked with amused condescension. "Also, you may believe you don't need at romantic relationship, but perhaps you shouldn't discount the desire for one until you've at least had one, eh? Empirical evidence and all that."

Out of the corner of her, she watched Cora pose, musing that though she accepted the directions flawlessly without complaint, she wasn't much engaged. I don't think this is something Coraline will pursue. She also noted her and Maia's reticence concerning nova procreation. It was a touchy subject, one she encountered many times, being public about her fertility and her daughter.

"It's alright if you want to speak about my daughter and experiences being publicly known as fertile. It's not like it's a secret and in my case, concealment would have taken far too much trouble." She smiled sadly, reaching over and giving her daughter a hug, recalling what she - they - had endured. Danica squirmed, wanting to see what Coraline was doing. "That said, it hasn't always been easy, but the alternatives were far less appealing. To me, at any rate."

The day continued, the super-humanly attractive women going from one poise to another, in different outfits, a few of the photographers actually had to leave, mostly because of being completely overwhelmed, but apparently Anna has prepared for that, having several other photographers waiting in the wings, and the Jacob was clearly an extraordinary man, to have been able to keep even a portion of his focus on his job, with one increasingly lovely sight after another passing before his eyes as they went out to have the pictures taken.

In fact, Anna had been speaking to a nova artist and photographer to come in and continue taking pictures, someone who would better be able to handle the extreme levels of beauty they were dealing with, but he was not available today, instead it was a series of two or three photographers and a dozen computerized cameras that took the pictures, and the photographer's were occasionally replaced.

Without looking inside the dressing room where the girls were changing, he was able to hear something about privacy, and he spoke up as Cora came back though the room. "There is a sound absorber in here, that can be activated that will keep any conversations and matters you discuss private, it was provided by anna just in case you desired such." He opened a drawer and pulled out a device and handed it too her. "Activated inside your dressing room, this will keep any conversations from being overheard beyond the walls of the room, and it will fry any listening devices in the room."

Maia had gotten to some of the racier outfits, and was getting ready to go out. "God it's like I'm wearing nothing at all." The beautiful teenage nova was almost dead on the mark. The outfit she had on would have been garish on anyone else, but on Maia it was the epitome of sexy. Black base and pink lace was about to be en vogue again she mused.

Coraline came in and smiled at what she hesitated to call an outfit outside of the mind of it's designer. And at how many of them might sell because of her sister's work today. Baselines. And with that to prompt her, she handed the device given to her to Alex. "I was told this will keep things private between us, will it? Because I'd like to talk about nova reproduction with Uncle's friend without painting an even bigger target on us."

She offered a nod to the elder nova, eager but betraying the lingering caution of someone raised to distrust and run at the first sign of trouble, a former victim working her way out of the habits of victimhood, sometimes by inches, sometimes by impulsive leaps.

Archived