[OpNet] Stupid Nova Tricks

Leech

Hi! New girl again.

My family and I went out to dinner in Portland last night. It's one of my dad's favorite places, and they have one of those weird eating things where if you can eat the entire big piece o'beef you get your meal free. My dad let me order it and I ate the whole thing. Talk about economy! smile

I don't think the restaurant people knew who I was or they probably wouldn't have honored the agreement, but they did this one time. Won't get the chance to do it again, at least not there.

But anyway, yeah, I ate the big slab of meat and got it free. smile

Any of you veteran novas out there wanna share some of the stupid tricks you did in the weeks following your eruption?

I kept setting things on fire by accident the night of my eruption. The nurses in the hospital were NOT amused. They kept threatening to use the fire extinguisher on ME if I couldn't keep it under control. Eventually, they emptied my room of everything they thought was a fire hazard and had two people on standby with type ABC extinguishers just in case.

Don't think this is really a stupid nova trick, but since Schnook was telling some embarrasing stories, I figured I'd share one, too.

It's hard to get away with anything fire-related when you, yourself, are always burning to one degree or another.

Well, I just recently discovered I can transmit myself over the Opnet or other networked devices. I wasn't thinking and I was testing out some new diving gear, and I had opened up my mind a bit to access all of the monitor systems, and I must have grabbed on to a wireless connection port. I thought about diving, and all of a sudden my world was a dizzying array of light, next thing I know I spit out over a lake. I think a plane was flying overhead with a sattelite wireless combo connection.

Must have been in the northern US, because it was COLD, and the writing on the thin ice signs was in English. I was too disoriented to fly properly and ended up torpedoing into the ice.

If is wasn't for the insulative property of the suit I would have been an icicle. My body hurt for a little bit though. Not just from the crash landing either.

This new "leap" was quite... annoying. Try walking to a nearby truckstop wearing what could make people mistaken you for wearing space gear of some sort. Around those parts... They still believe in aliens and UFOs. Scared the locals something fierce untill I took the helmet off.

After convincing the locals as to who I was I hopped a ride to a larger town and managed to figure out how to "hop back" home.

At least now, if you need me somewhere, I can be there. ^_^ I'd better think of what to wear though while transmitting. I found out I can transmit to near the orbit used for geo-stationary sattelites. Although wearing a space suit might not look good, it might be smart to have a vacuum-safe suit on when travelling. At least untill I can get the hang of this.

Quote:
Originally posted by Sakurako:
Well, I just recently discovered I can transmit myself over the Opnet or other networked devices. I wasn't thinking and I was testing out some new diving gear, and I had opened up my mind a bit to access all of the monitor systems, and I must have grabbed on to a wireless connection port. I thought about diving, and all of a sudden my world was a dizzying array of light, next thing I know I spit out over a lake. I think a plane was flying overhead with a sattelite wireless combo connection.

Must have been in the northern US, because it was COLD, and the writing on the thin ice signs was in English. I was too disoriented to fly properly and ended up torpedoing into the ice.

If is wasn't for the insulative property of the suit I would have been an icicle. My body hurt for a little bit though. Not just from the crash landing either.

This new "leap" was quite... annoying. Try walking to a nearby truckstop wearing what could make people mistaken you for wearing space gear of some sort. Around those parts... They still believe in aliens and UFOs. Scared the locals something fierce untill I took the helmet off.

After convincing the locals as to who I was I hopped a ride to a larger town and managed to figure out how to "hop back" home.

At least now, if you need me somewhere, I can be there. ^_^ I'd better think of what to wear though while transmitting. I found out I can transmit to near the orbit used for geo-stationary sattelites. Although wearing a space suit might not look good, it might be smart to have a vacuum-safe suit on when travelling. At least untill I can get the hang of this.
Welcome to the club of moving across OpNet carrier signals. If you need any instruction I'm sure you can get ahold of me.

Gotta bolt, they're close.

I ain't ready to say they was stupid but theres a thing or two you can't rightly say was wise. Me and machines get along just fine. It was on account of that I tried to see just how much I could goose one. Set a new land speed record on the first run and like to kill myself. Going that fast a nickel feels tall as a brick wall when it hits your tires. Broke damn near every window in four towns too.

Took a spell to get them all fixed.

We really have to meet someday soon Hugin. I feel badly about it at times. You were one of the first Novas to ever help me out but we haven't met yet. Next time I am in Japan I will stop by (Or you can come to Karaoke Night? Nevermind U.S. and you don't get along, forgot.)

I find myself often using my enhanced abilities to win at darts, billiards, and dwarf tossing.

Great way to pick-up extra cash at a few rough-n-tumble bars along the interstates. Easy to do if your smart, just remember to lose a few times, and put soem of your winnings into buying a drink or two for those yer playin with.

Trick to running a good con is makin' sure the people yer gonna screw over never suspect you're gonna screw em over.

Quote:
Originally posted by Fracture:
Quote:
Originally posted by Flicker:
I teleported all around my living room with Pookum's food dish. He looked so confused.
You know, from one cat lover to another, that's genuinely funny. I wish I could've seen his little face.
Why waste the quantum on a Felis Domesticus. My cat was perfectly entertained by a simple laser pointer and a bored hand (namely mine).

You want to impress someone, pull a transmit when the Paparazzi come for you. Make a few jumps to confuse the little lower life forms, and then dissapear. Who needs mass transit?

Oh, and I do consider Paparazzi lower life forms. Right next to Bacteria, Virii, and Parasites. Because that is what they most resemble.

Quote:
Originally posted by Revenant:
I find myself often using my enhanced abilities to win at darts, billiards, and dwarf tossing.

Great way to pick-up extra cash at a few rough-n-tumble bars along the interstates. Easy to do if your smart, just remember to lose a few times, and put soem of your winnings into buying a drink or two for those yer playin with.

Trick to running a good con is makin' sure the people yer gonna screw over never suspect you're gonna screw em over.
Dude, you look like a corpse. I mean, that just screams nova. How on earth are you convincing people before they lay down the money that you aren't the most dexterous thing on the planet?

I suppose it is possible that Revenant is resorting to concealing evidence of his evolution by way of theatrical make-up or the like. Theoretically, I could do likewise - if I did not find the very thought of it intensely distasteful.

As for "stupid nova tricks": I once expended energy to give a baseline child's pet hamster a few more years to live - a mistake that cost me my concealment, which was important at the time. Aside from errors of judgement such as that, I did not have the luxury of performing "stupid tricks"; I was a bit too busy trying to survive during my formative years.

Quote:
Emerald:
It is possible to conceal one's nature for a time. Not long and not totally. Such is my belief.
I lasted about a day and a half... mostly because I didn't know how to turn the power on and I wasn't really sure I'd erupted. It was a pretty confusing time, looking back I think those count as stupid tricks.

Welcome to the boards Emerald.

I've never had that much of a problem hiding my nature. I just don't look that impressive when I'm not switching forms. Or at least that's what it seems like... though I'm starting to get more looks on the street and "Hey, aren't you that one guy" questions a lot more.

But as for stupid tricks... it's pretty easy to do the dishes or just about any stupid cleaning thingie when you can give yourself extra arms.

Quote:
Dude, you look like a corpse. I mean, that just screams nova. How on earth are you convincing people before they lay down the money that you aren't the most dexterous thing on the planet?
If you must know, the more of my reserves I expend the more corpse like my appearance, when I'm at "full power" I can usually pass for "normal" if not a lil peaked.

Also, I can do what we freaks refer to as "dorming" but I do not prefer to take this route, since if a scuffle breaks out it leaves my defenses down for a few moments longer than I would prefer.

Also Sali... that's where losing a few rounds comes in, lose a few games, buy a few rounds, and never get greedy, earn what you need and thank em' for a game. Most drunk truckers will never even know you were there. Showin' off is what gets ya a fight, something I'm sure 99% of ya don't have to worry about since yer living in penthouse apts. and suckin' off a CEO for yer next endorsement deal.

Quote:
Originally posted by Revenant:
Quote:
If you must know, the more of my reserves I expend the more corpse like my appearance, when I'm at "full power" I can usually pass for "normal" if not a lil peaked.

Also, I can do what we freaks refer to as "dorming" but I do not prefer to take this route, since if a scuffle breaks out it leaves my defenses down for a few moments longer than I would prefer.

Also Sali... that's where losing a few rounds comes in, lose a few games, buy a few rounds, and never get greedy, earn what you need and thank em' for a game. Most drunk truckers will never even know you were there. Showin' off is what gets ya a fight, something I'm sure 99% of ya don't have to worry about since yer living in penthouse apts. and suckin' off a CEO for yer next endorsement deal.
I just meant that regardless of how of many loses my opponent had, if they were a nova and I wasn't I'd think they were sharking me.

Quote:
Most drunk truckers will never even know you were there. Showin' off is what gets ya a fight, something I'm sure 99% of ya don't have to worry about since yer living in penthouse apts. and suckin' off a CEO for yer next endorsement deal.
Wait, is your tone suggesting that it is somehow less... correct? noble? to earn money at a productive job than to scam it off inebriated truckers who probably need all the money they can get anyway? How do you justify that conclusion?

About the original topic, I think almost every nova has permitted him or herself some fun with his or her powers, especially recently erupted. Personally, my power to connect (albeit briefly) to points in space and pass through the hole was greatly exploited as a method of travel to all those places I always wanted to go but never got around to. Instant travel means you don't even have to really pack bags!

Quote:
Originally posted by Chiteki Hoshiko:
Quote:
Most drunk truckers will never even know you were there. Showin' off is what gets ya a fight, something I'm sure 99% of ya don't have to worry about since yer living in penthouse apts. and suckin' off a CEO for yer next endorsement deal.
Wait, is your tone suggesting that it is somehow less... correct? noble? to earn money at a productive job than to scam it off inebriated truckers who probably need all the money they can get anyway? How do you justify that conclusion?
Naw, what I'm saying is 99% of you wouldn't know what it's like to have to do that. An obviously if the drunk prick is betting his money on darts, billiards, and dwarf tossing instead of takin care of his family then he probably doesn't "need all the money he can get".

Survival of the fittest, if they can't hold on to it, they don't deserve it to begin with.

Quote:
Survival of the fittest, if they can't hold on to it, they don't deserve it to begin with.
I guess that's a valid viewpoint, at least, though I know a lot of people who'd disagree with the ethics of it.

By the way, I'm curious, what is this "dwarf tossing"? I could just do an OpNet search for it, but I think I'd rather have it explained by someone who's witnessed it first-hand.

Quote:
Originally posted by David 'Dr. Troll' Smith:
That's short for "posting boards", or forums. I think the expression dates back to the days when people would post notes on boards to send messages (a custom that predates the discovery of electricity).
I understand now. Your messages linger and echo long after they are born.

How do you do that?

Let me just say that I was young and trying to impress this girl. It involved a sweaty sparring match with said (much more experienced woman) and me attempting a flying punch. She reversed her stance and raised up her foot, lightning fast. Foot meets groin ... my groin.

Lessons learned:

Avoid thinking about sex when you should be thinking about fighting.

Never set yourself up on a set flying trajectory when your nuts (or your life) are on the line.

At least the after action comforting was sweet.

Archived