Aberrant: Infinite Earth - Proposal: Using Dave's Gadgets background in IE

The Traveler

This is taken from Dave's Gadgetry Rules in Mutant High... modified for use in Aberrant. I submit this since I wanna use this in IE (and potentially submit this in 200X) with all credit to Dave. (I only tweaked it slightly for Aberrant compatibility).

Please refer to the Addenda for further changes from suggestions, and things I've noticed.

Background: Gadgetry

You possess an invention decades ahead of the current technological curve. A gadget may also be an existing mechanism concealed or altered in some way - an autofire cell phone, a boat capable of short flights. These items are rare as hen's teeth, and you need a good explanation why you have something so esoteric, experimental and/or advanced. A gadget is likely to be the target of thieves and con artists. In the proper circles, the item (and your mastery of it) is nigh legendary, and your enemies will go to considerable lengths to separate you from it. A gadget cannot be destroyed except in the most extreme circumstances, or by killing its owner.

Your character having this gadget makes this as much a part of their character as everything else. It becomes part of their overall theme. James Bond and his Astin Martin and Walther PPK, The Doctor and his Sonic Screwdriver and TARDIS, Captain America and his Shield, An Immortal and their sword. The list goes on. Simply put the gadget is a signature of that character.

● Mediocre Gadget with up to 4 options, or an innovation that duplicates a Level 1 power. Quantum 1, Quantum Pool 10.

●● Minor Gadget with up to 8 options, or innovations that duplicate two Level 1 powers. Quantum 1, Quantum Pool 12

●●● Major Gadget with up to 12 options, or innovations that duplicate a single Level 2 power or three Level 1 powers. Quantum 2, Quantum Pool 15

●●●● Powerful Gadget with up to 16 options, or innovations that duplicate two Level 2 powers or four Level 1 powers. Quantum 3, Quantum Pool 20

●●●●● Artifact Gadget with up to 20 options, or innovations that duplicate either a single Level 3 power, three Level 2 powers or five Level 1 Powers. Quantum 5, Quantum Pool 30

●●●●●● Plot Device - This sort of gadget is beyond one of a kind. It is much of who your character is as your character. You can have one power of any level associated with it, as well as 2 Level 3 powers, or 4 Level 2 powers, or 6 level one powers. It's quantum level is considered as high as necessary for it's highest level power and has a base quantum pool equal to it's quantum level. OR, you can customize with 36 Option Points.

This background is broken down into `Options' and `Innovations'. An `option' is when a standard, run of the mill device is enhanced in some way to function far beyond what it was originally designed for. This could include a customized pistol that fire in full-auto and holds far more bullets than it was designed to. It could be a motorcycle that converts into a jet-ski for water travel.

So, what's an `Option' exactly? Well, it varies based on the device in question. Weapons, Armor, and Vehicles can all be fitted with options. For each option you may spend `option points' (OP) to increase that objects statistics.

Weapons-

Accuracy (+1/2OP), Damage (+1/2OP or +[1]/3OP), Strength-Min (-1/1OP), Strength-Max (+1/2OP), Range (+50%/1OP, max x2), Maneuver (+1Mnv/1OP) - It has to make sense for the user or the gadget, Rate of Fire (+1/1OP), Clip (+50%/1OP, max x2), Concealability (-1 step/2OP)

Armor-

Bashing (+1/2OP), Lethal (+1/2OP), Penalty (-1/2OP), Destruction (+1/1OP)

Vehicles-

Safe Speed (+50%/1OP), Max Speed (+50%/1OP), Maneuver (+1/1OP), Passangers (+50%/1OP, only once), Armor (+1/1OP or +[1]/2OP)

Not on the list or something extreme? Like a laptop that transforms into a sentry gun? Or the afore mentioned motorcycle/jet-ski? These are called `Exotic Options'. Any modification not on the list generally costs 3OP. This cost may be more or less depending on the STs approval. Adding a small dart launcher on a pistol might only cost 1OP since it's a relatively small and not a difficult upgrade.

Note: Not all EOs are really too exotic. Something to keep in mind is if the addition isn't usually seen in an item, but it is mundane and would make sense in adding it (Kevlar to a business suit, sealing a car so it's amphibious, incorporating a parachute to a backpack...) then you could add it. It is also possible to add more than one EO. A good rule of thumb is 1 EO to the resource cost of the item being modified into a gadget.

An `Innovation' is a technological advancement so great that the powers of the device almost duplicate the effect the effects of a Quantum Power. This could include a harmonizer that generates a `Disorient' effect while it's activated, or a cannon the hits like a Quantum-Bolt. An innovation always functions with a number of dots in a power equal to the gadgets ranking. So a gadget at rank 2 with a Level 2 Armor innovation will function as the Armor power with 2 dots (or +6L/+6B soak in this case). All Innovative Gadgets have their own Quantum Pool and Quantum rating and these are used to determine the effectiveness of the gadget's range, duration, maintenance, etc. when it's activated.

If the gadget is an item that requires a skill to use (like a gun, sword, etc.) then the player uses their skill for the dice pool in place of the power's rating.

A note: `Suite Powers' - Suite powers are generally considered Level 2 powers, thus a character may purchase a power from a Level 3 suite as if it were Level 2. In the case of a Suite Power being purchased for a Rank 5 `Artifact Gadget' the owner may select 3 powers from the suite that the device may activate as `learned' powers. The rest of the suite powers are activated at double the cost.

Why is that? Some might ask. Simply put it's to explain, in a game mechanics sense, that no device can function better than natural power, like those possessed within Novas.

Can I mix an Option and an Innovation together?

Yes. If you'd like to upgrade an object with powers and options you may do so, but the benefit of one or the other (Option or Innovation) is dropped by two complete ranks. This means that you can mix until at least Rank 3. The Quantum Pool and Quantum of the object are also calculated at the new lower rank. Also all power Levels available options drop by one, so two Level 2 powers available becomes 1 Level 2 power available (making it impossible to make a mixed device with a Level 3 Power).

Example: Dave wants to make an artillery cannon that blasts out pure energy for it's attack (Quantum-Bolt), but his dice pool stinks so he wants to increase it's accuracy by adding advanced targeting systems. He creates a Device 4 (1 Level 2 Power (Q-Bolt)) and chooses 8OP worth of options (two ranks lower than 4 on the scale). Once all is said and done he has a cannon that punches like a quantum bolt and has +4 accuracy.

Losing/Regaining Gadgets

It is possible that a gadget can be lost/broken/destroyed through any number of events. As such, generally a character with Gadget would have the means to repair such a thing (a bit of an explaination of the character point protection). If the character can do it themselves, they need the Abilities and resources (and repair tools) to do such a thing. Or access to someone who has such things. Also generally the higher the number of dots in Gadget someone has, the harder it would be to repair a gadget. A "Plot device" 6 dot gadget would need a whole story possibly just to get the parts needed to repair it while a 1 dot would probably only mean heading to the local hardware store (maybe).

A rule of thumb is this: You need 2x the number of dots of the damaged gadget in successes in order to repair your gadget. This would be an extended test, with a check made every day. Destroyed gadgets can either take 3x the number of dots of it's value in successes in order to be repaired wholly, or 2x value in successes and permanently lose a dot in value.

Addenda

• You can only purchase any one feature for a Gadget 3 times.
  • Other limitations from Adventure! apply as well.
  • Normal items can be improved outside of Weapons, Armor, and Vehicles, through a +1 to a skill (that is not limited by situation) at a cost 2 option points per +1. The accuracy for weapons cost 2 option points per +1 and that is effectively +1 to a skill (firearms and melee, mostly).

• Normal invention and research is done through the usual Abilities and Attributes. The number of successes required is equal to the highest value of an effect the item being invented has.

[*]Advanced Medicine - represents detailed knowledge of advanced genetics, biology, and specifically the genetic of offshoots of the human race, such as Novas, Psions, Mages, etc....

[*]Advanced Tech - represents detailed knowledge of technology from Alertnate Earths in advance of our own current level of tech. Examples would include an FTL drive, or nanotech.

[*]Nova Tech - represents detailed knowledge of technology that uses or requires quantum energy to funtion. Examples would include a death ray that only works in the hands of a nova, or a quantum distruptor that creates a field that suppresses nova abilities.

[*]Magic Knowledge - Magic knowledge only applies to the Alternate Earth's where magic exists. Magic is actually Quantum Energy, it is just manipulated in a different way than normal.

Magic - The ability to use magic can only be granted through either genetic modification (extremely difficult and requiring Medicine 5 and Advanced Medicine 5), or temporarily through the use of Quantum Authority: Quantum Duplication (a level 4 power, and also requires that the nova has a Mage on hand to duplicate), or permanently through the use of Quantum Supremacy: Quantum Transformation. The ability to use magic, only applies on those worlds where the quantum energy exists in a more tangible form known as Mana. Also, because of it's versitility Magic would be considered a level 4 power.

Magic can take many forms, but regardless it works the same way nova powers work, the subconscious mind manipulates mana (quantum energy) to create a result.

Magic will work differently on different worlds. It might be performed via Ritual, incantation, gestures, or simple force of will, depending on what is acceptable/appropriate for the setting, it's up to the individual or group who defines the setting.

Linking Mega Attributes/Mega Enhancements to Gadgets

Enhancements

To place an Enhancement into a Gadget, you must remember these things.

1: You can have 1 enhancement per dot in a Gadget. This will cost 3 Option Points per enhancement. This is different than a power, where the type and level of power is limited by the number of dots.

2: You can only have enhancements that make sense with each other and would be "in theme" with that gadget. A rule of thumb, is that if the enhancement is part of the same Mega Attribute "family". For instance You can have any number without question any enhancement associated with a single MAttribute, but it starts to stretch based on how far removed. For instance, most enhancements of the Physical, Mental, or Social "Extended Families" Are doable as long as they seem to follow a certain theme. But having a mega stamina enhamcement with a mega intelligence enhancement just won't work. Unless the two might have a reason to be together in the theme of the gadget.

Mega Attributes

You can only have one Mega Attribute associated with a gadget. For instance you can only have a gadget that provided the benefits of Mega Stamina to it's user. The strength of the Mega Attribute is equal to the number of dots in the gadget.

Also, at 3 dots and 6 dots, you can reduce the cost of adding mega enhancements associated with that mega attribute by 1OP.

I'm fine with this, with the caveat, that if you are creating the device yourself, then you need to have the necessary skills to create it. If you are finding it or otherwise acquiring the device you need to account for it in your story.

In other words you can't just pluck out of thin air, a high-tech injector full of serum that provides immortality through cellular repair done by nanites, just because you spend the xp to buy a device. You would need to have gotten it from an advanced Earth that has developed nanotech well beyond our current level of technology.

Or you would need to have the appropriate skillz.

Advanced Medicine - represents detailed knowledge of advanced genetics, biology, and specifically the genetic of offshoots of the human race, such as Novas, Psions, Mages, etc....

Advanced Tech - represents detailed knowledge of technology from Alertnate Earths in advance of our own current level of tech. Examples would include an FTL drive, or nanotech.

Nova Tech - represents detailed knowledge of technology that uses or requires quantum energy to funtion. Examples would include a death ray that only works in the hands of a nova, or a quantum distruptor that creates a field that suppresses nova abilities.

Magic Knowledge - Magic knowledge only applies to the Alternate Earth's where magic exists. Magic is actually Quantum Energy, it is just manipulated in a different way than normal.

Magic - The ability to use magic can only be granted through either genetic modification (extremely difficult and requiring Medicine 5 and Advanced Medicine 5), or temporarily through the use of Quantum Authority: Quantum Duplication (a level 4 power, and also requires that the nova has a Mage on hand to duplicate), or permanently through the use of Quantum Supremacy: Quantum Transformation. The ability to use magic, only applies on those worlds where the quantum energy exists in a more tangible form known as Mana. Also, because of it's versitility Magic would be considered a level 4 power.

Magic can take many forms, but regardless it works the same way nova powers work, the subconscious mind manipulates mana (quantum energy) to create a result. Magic will work differently on different worlds. It might be performed via Ritual, incantation, gestures, or simple force of will, depending on what is acceptable/appropriate for the setting, it's up to the individual or group who defines the setting.

lol, yeah, you should add one more dot to your scale and call it Plot Device.

One more thing I should mention, if you have the skills to build something, you can go ahead and build it in your story and use it without paying for the device, however, unless it is paid for, then theoretically, it 'could' be lost, (not will be lost, but could be). Since I'm not directing your story that makes it up to you whether you do lose it or not. But if you do make something in your story, you should have the skills to do so.

And she does. With XP, she could have any holes filled. After all, I don't get to use everything on my sheet in any one adventure. I'm sure after purchasing Immortality I should have a boatload... err raft full of XP left to get a couple specialties and even a mega-enhancement or two. Heck, she might even be able to fix the chameleon circuit finally. ^_^

In her story she had help building the ESS, but honestly she could do it on her own. given time. IF fair is fair, I could have the ESS break down from time to time, disappear out from under Sakurako's feet, get stolen... all things that have happened in the thing I draw some of this homage from.

So it's not like the ESS is untouchable.

If I can have things that I could conceivably build with the only weakness being that they can be lost or stolen, I have quite a few ideas for some items to build--almost exclusively with humourous intent.

I've just got to think of an in character reason to build the banana cream pie canon. I'm pretty certain I have the expertise.

ROFL!

Yeah, if this were any other venue, I'd be going over everything with a fine tooth comb and worrying about things like game balance. This setting, however, is for having fun with things like the TARDIS, or a pie cannon, or a squid launcher. wink

If you guys ever need arbitration over something that is breaking your game then I would step in, but I can't imagine you guys having issues like that. You are a good group of writers telling an interesting story, so I'm not worried.

Well, I created the ESS to be a second tool for characters to interact from other worlds. It's a plot device, that to be honest I made for everyone, not just my own benefit.

So yeah, your trust is safe with me, Mr. Fox.

Then again, I am getting me a sonic screwdriver... err an ionic pliers. :P

• 4 weeks later...

I'm fine with this, with the caveat, that if you are creating the device yourself, then you need to have the necessary skills to create it. If you are finding it or otherwise acquiring the device you need to account for it in your story.

In other words you can't just pluck out of thin air, a high-tech injector full of serum that provides immortality through cellular repair done by nanites, just because you spend the xp to buy a device. You would need to have gotten it from an advanced Earth that has developed nanotech well beyond our current level of technology.

Or you would need to have the appropriate skillz.

Advanced Medicine - represents detailed knowledge of advanced genetics, biology, and specifically the genetic of offshoots of the human race, such as Novas, Psions, Mages, etc....

Advanced Tech - represents detailed knowledge of technology from Alertnate Earths in advance of our own current level of tech. Examples would include an FTL drive, or nanotech.

Nova Tech - represents detailed knowledge of technology that uses or requires quantum energy to funtion. Examples would include a death ray that only works in the hands of a nova, or a quantum distruptor that creates a field that suppresses nova abilities.

Magic Knowledge - Magic knowledge only applies to the Alternate Earth's where magic exists. Magic is actually Quantum Energy, it is just manipulated in a different way than normal.

Magic can take many forms, but regardless it works the same way nova powers work, the subconscious mind manipulates mana (quantum energy) to create a result. Magic will work differently on different worlds. It might be performed via Ritual, incantation, gestures, or simple force of will, depending on what is acceptable/appropriate for the setting, it's up to the individual or group who defines the setting.

Okay, would these then be extra Abilities? A Specialty (And if a specialty, where does the Magic stuff fit in?)? What?

Advanced Medicine, Advanced Tech, Nova Tech and Magic Knowledge are abilities that fall under Intelligence.

Magic would be a level 4 Power.

As noted above, Magic only works on worlds where Mana exists (mana being a more tangible form of Quantum energy). One caveat would be that mana like quantum could be stored in your Eufiber, so it would be possible to do magic on a regular world but only via the stored mana until it ran out, which would be pretty darned quick since you can't store much.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

New Addition: Using Mega Attributes and Enhancements in Gadgets!

Linking Mega Attributes/Mega Enhancements to Gadgets

Enhancements

To place an Enhancement into a Gadget, you must remember these things.

1: You can have 1 enhancement per dot in a Gadget. This will cost 3 Option Points per enhancement. This is different than a power, where the type and level of power is limited by the number of dots.

2: You can only have enhancements that make sense with each other and would be "in theme" with that gadget. A rule of thumb, is that if the enhancement is part of the same Mega Attribute "family". For instance You can have any number without question any enhancement associated with a single MAttribute, but it starts to stretch based on how far removed. For instance, most enhancements of the Physical, Mental, or Social "Extended Families" Are doable as long as they seem to follow a certain theme. But having a mega stamina enhamcement with a mega intelligence enhancement just won't work. Unless the two might have a reason to be together in the theme of the gadget.

Mega Attributes

You can only have one Mega Attribute associated with a gadget. For instance you can only have a gadget that provided the benefits of Mega Stamina to it's user. The strength of the Mega Attribute is equal to the number of dots in the gadget.

Also, at 3 dots and 6 dots, you can reduce the cost of adding mega enhancements associated with that mega attribute by 1OP.

Archived