Aberrant: Children of Quantum Fire - Descisions & Dilemmas [4.0]

As Darrik continued to negotiate with Anna DeVris, he feed the details back to the rest of the his siblings, with Cora sitting there next to him, her unease at this direction of possibilities strong enough that Anna could tell at a glance that she wasn't entirely happy about it. It was a lot easier for the super-intelligent woman to read Cora then it was to read Darrik, who managed to keep his cards a bit closer.

"Something for something.. " She responded to Darrik's question about what they would be expected to do. "DeVris runs just about all possible jobs, I'd take folks to do anything from modeling, working in entertainment, offering financial advice, to fighting among the elites, to simple body guard work, to creative technologies.. you know best what your people are capable of." If Darrik exerted himself, he would be able to argue her down to six months..

Meanwhile, back at the island, the rest of the siblings could hear and discuss the matter themselves, vote on it or not as they pleased. Just about all of them could do something that Anna suggested, and most of them could do several quite easily. It was for them to decide as Darrik continued to speak with Anna.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Warren did some calculations on what his new set of power could do and sent, *I think, 'Creative Technologies' for $1000. smile

How about... she gets me for two to three hours a day and I'll de-age people for roughly 400 years worth. DeVries is all about connecting novas to jobs, turning the old and rich into the young and well-off would be right up her alley.*

Alex's mental voice was quiet, near-exhaustion.

What I don't get is what DeVries has to offer US. What do we want? Money? Money's cheap. Give me a month and we'll all be millionaires. And it won't come with strings attached either.

I can do the same thing with lumps of coal and give you diamonds after a few minutes. Money can't be all there is to this. What are we gaining from this Darrik why go to DeVries at all, aside from she knows Uncle?

Maia tried to figure out what benefit this would gain them.

Even experience is likely not worth the risk. If someone has to do this, and do a more public contract, I'll do it. Modelling wouldn't be so bad.

Not to mention, Anna's too smart, Alex pointed out. She'll have figured out that you two are nova-born and represent others like you by now. Which means we have to either play ball, or she'll use that knowledge against us. We really need to start thinking through these 'outreaches' you guys are doing.

Warren sent, I see several reasons, other than the 'it's already too late issue'.

First, a nova elite kill team is the best way to kill us. We're strong enough now that they'd need world-class as opposed to in-house talent. Anna would hear about that sort of thing being organized. And it doesn't even need to be about us, someone is going to try to replace those mother hunters and there are other second gens.

Second, if you were a nova parent with a second gen kid, you might go to Anna for help. She'd make you pay for it, but still. If someone goes to her tomorrow for help I want her to forward that to us.

Third, unless we're planning on eventually fleeing the planet we're going to scare the hell out of people. Working with Anna is a way to say we're part of the system and thus 'controllable'. That isn't true and it won't work forever but it should work for long enough.

At about that point, Traveler, who no one had seen enter the room, stepped out of one corner of the room and spoke up. "Maia would be an excellent choice, she would make an excellent model, and she's strong and tough enough to last against anything that might happen long enough for the rest of you to get her out of any trouble she might get into."

He hadn't heard any of their telepathic conversation, but he didn't need to in order to know some of the possible choices they were about to make. "A six month contract with DeVris, as long as you keep an eye on the somewhat public members, and teleport them in and out of the submarine, will be perfect.. the constantly moving Submarine that Alex is working on will be well defended from detection by it's constant moving."

*Yeah, she figured that out, Alex. But it's not unknown already to the world at large, frankly. And this is about the same thing with the Aberrants. Allies. Besides it's very clear that we can get full-scale access to DeVries resources, as per what she said. I can read her, she'll keep to that. I think having such influence on the combined corporation that runs the best Elites in the world and employs so many novas elsewhere will be a potent advantage in our favor.*

Darrik held this telepathic conversation while listening to Anna, and then he pushed to haggle. "A year, might be too long if that public. At that point he stared at her piercingly, drawing on his charm and quantum talents of manipulation. Six month contracts."

Click to reveal..
I don't know if I should roll, but Darrik is using full M-Man here and activating Persuader.

Butch wasn't very comfortable with the direction this meeting with DeVries was taking.

If DeVries thinks she can use that information against us, Alex, that's a definite concern. Only way that becomes less of a concern is if we have information we can use against her, which is probably real hard to find. Hopefully she won't use knowledge about what we are against us though. Who knows? But either way it becomes a much more dangerous game we're playing.

I'll tell y'all right now I'm not keen on working for DeVries, but if...big, huge if...one or more of us decide to do this, then I'm gonna definitely be out there watching their backs.

Epiphany sighed, "Both my parents worked for DeVries. I don't mind taking a contract if I get to negotiate the terms instead of taking a standard contract. Though I imagine most of what I'd be useful for is stuff I don't want to do or would interfere with being able to keep the network up for us."

Here's the thing, gang. Anna won't stay bought. As long as working with us is to her benefit, she'll do it. The second we walk away, she'l sell us out to the highest bidder. That's what she does. If one or some of you want to dance with the devil, go ahead, but remember one thing: The contracts ONLY serve DeVries. Legally we don't exist. So if she cheats us, what're we gonna do? Sue? And expose our existence to the world? She KNOWS she has us by the short hairs.

The less she knows about us, the better. The more we interact with her, the more she knows. Hence, my suggestion is to cut and run ten seconds ago.

Coraline sighed in her head, trying to filter out the circular argument and focus on keeping aware of her surroundings as Darrik worked his charm on their host. Much as she hated, hated, hated to admit it and would hate, hate, hate every minute of the experience keeping the volunteers safe, they needed to do this, if only to get one monster off of their back for a little while. Maybe it could even work out to gain them an ally or two in the process, best come to best.

Alex is right about her, so let her keep more of the money than you could get. Make the contract for a year too. Heck, make it a thousand years. smile

Rule of law has been a disaster for us. Baselines use it to kill us. Whatever the contract says is worthless... but that's beside the point. We're not buying Anna permanently here, but we don't need to.

There will come a time when we function openly and trash laws, mother hunters, governments, and even civilizations if we need to. That day is not now... but understand this is end game.

One. Year.

Apotheosis... indescribable. We're going to be godlike even to the novas. All we need is a little time. Time for the rest of you to get through Apotheosis. Time to learn what we can do.

If I have to kiss Anna's ass for a year, then so be it. Heck, I might enjoy it. wink

But in one year 'trust' won't be an issue. It won't matter if she'll stay bought, the game will be over. We won't be hiding, second gens will be able to approach us openly, the mother hunters will be dead, and even governments will know not to cross us. I'm not overstating how powerful we'll be, if anything I'm understating it.

As Darrik poured on the charm, Anna drew herself up, and smiled slightly, then she slowly seemed to bend to his manipulation, though not as easily as someone who was a baseline would. "Fine, a six months contract it is.. might I meet the two who will sign, cause based on this girl's reaction, she's not going to be one of them."

You're wrong Alex, and it's one of the reasons I'm best suited to this. I do exist legally. There are records of my birth, of My Elite Father, and my Novox mother. Uncle Shen never destroyed them forseeing a time where they might have been of use, perhaps. Whatever the case, they exist. Just as Uncle Shen has told you I can take more than most of you, and I have faith that if I do get in over my head, that you will be there to get me out.

Maia looked at the others. Those who have apothesized should NOT be in on the contract. We don't know what can happen, and we don't want to tip our hands here.

"Same with me Alex. Although I probably am either legally dead or still listed as a 'missing person'. It has been eleven years and my parents didn't want people to know they were Novas." She nods. "And I agree with Maia here. Anyone who's apotheosized WILL not be on the contract. It's dangerous and we don't want to attract more attention than we already have and are going to." She said in a ' this matter is a done deal' kind of way.

Warren sent dryly, I'm not sure if I exist legally or not. But if one of you apotheosized while on contract I suspect you'll be noticed.

Warren sent an image of two of his sisters modeling on a cat walk and then becoming a thousand times more beautiful and overloading the senses of everyone present.

All kidding aside, I think there'd be no danger, to me, if I went. I could trivially shake anyone trying to trace me back here too. But I do see the logic of keeping the apotheosized in reserve.

Yes, that's a potential risk, but better that than showing them anymore of our hands Warren.

She didn't need his mental images, or the accompanying sensory overload, and she snorted with derision at his idea of what beauty was.

"If we could keep the extended power strength of those of us who have undergone apotheosis in reserve somehow, we would actually be the better bets, we wouldn't have to worry about getting sparked during a mission and we'd be more than anyone is likely to be ready to handle. I just don't know how to keep anyone from being able to tell we are more powerful." Epiphany was, quite honestly, tired of all the complications that came with exploring these 'alliances.' It seemed the whole process was doing little more than stripping what little security the group had left.

Darrik nodded with a grinning dark smile, even as he felt concerned by Warren's invulnerable attitude and everyone else holding concerns about the deal. None of you seem to get this. We cannot be ten against the world. We need allies. We are not the only second generation novas in the world, and we simply cannot discount the first generation either. In any case, Anna DeVries is a nova, the owner of a massive corporation that values and protects its nova employees, and the mother of a nova child herself. I think that needs consideration as well. Anyway, I cut it down to six months already.

"I'll introduce them to you soon enough." He told Anna, smoothly, persuasively. "In any case, we have to leave soon, but thank you for your hospitality Anna."

Butch rankled at Darrik's first line of thought in his last exchange. His brother had a way of getting on Butch's nerves with his, at times, condescending manners. Even telepathically...

No, hoss, we get that bit. I don't think any of us are laboring under the delusion that the ten of us can take on the world. We know we need allies, but are these the types of allies we want? Elites are loyal to the all-mighty dollar. Plenty of them have already been after us. I spent my whole damn life on the run from motherhunters, and a bunch of them were Elites. Hell, maybe if we make enough money we can start our own little Elite service? Just a thought.

We might make some other friends, good folks, true, but is the exposure worth it is the question, too. But, hell, if you can swing Anna DeVries around to our side, that might just be worth it. You're right about that. Any chance you can influence her further? And if she can lead us to any other 2nd generation novas that need protecting, all the better.

At this point, it seems that two of us are on the hook with DeVries, which means that all of us are on the hook. Six months ain't all bad, but we need to plan our next moves carefully especially for those of us who are gonna be out there raking in the cash for DeVries. When you and Cora get home, we need to meet and hash things out. Together. All of us.

Oh hell.

Outwardly, Coraline merely mirrored Darrik's thank you to Anna with a wary nod of her own. Inwardly though, she tuned in enough to pick up Butch's proposal, prompting her to make her own contribution to the telepathic debate.

'Actually, don't wait up for us. Darrik and I are going to take the afternoon off out here, so try not to call us unless there's an emergency or a 2nd Gen in need of saving. I'm... not in the mood for another meeting just right now,' the young metamorph commented over the link, a note of weariness in her telepathic voice.

"Of course, and just so you know, I am prepared to sweeten the pot a bit, I've had to keep my own son and daughter hidden, so I know how much trouble they can be.. So I can give you access to the files I have on the mother hunters of proteaus and the directorate when your folks have signed on." She offered the one thing she thought might be the most desired by Darrik's group based on her reading of him and his companion. Of course, that it also would serve her interests, and that she had, by her words indicated she was a mother of at least 2nd generation nova's herself.

*Well, she just added some information about Proteus and the Directive to the pot. But like Cora said, we're going to find a place to unwind for the afternoon. Like the Rainbow Room possibly. Skin is the best defense there...* "Excellent, Anna. Sayanora." Darrik's gracious tone belied a wicked smile and telepathic voice, and gesturing to Cora, he ushered himself and his sibling out of the room and out of sight before giving her a private telepathic question.

*So... Ibiza is a wonderful place I hear. Perhaps the Rainbow Room? It'd do you good to find some nice nova boy for the night.*

Coraline's face registered a measure of confusion and disbelief, mental voice equally bewildered, 'What? That Ibiza? The Slaves playground? That's...'

That particular train of thought found itself derailed as the young metamorph caught up to the rest of his suggestion and colored slightly, familar as she was to her own and others inner working, young and human as she was, the idea of going there to... was such a breach in security and secresy that a very large part of her wanted to call the thing off right then. As the situation would have it, that part of her was also rather uneasy with Pip and didn't want to be anywhere near her Apothesized sibling. That, and they were being pushed into the world bit by bit. Coraline didn't *want* to see the rest of the world as a deathtrap all the time and in every person, and Darrik wouldn't leave her to flounder her first time out on a social jaunt like this...

'No promises about... a boy for the night,' she telepathically started anew to her youngest if most worldly brother, offering a hand for him to take and shadow jump them there 'But I will try to not treat this like a combat exercise if you believe this place would be safe for us to go to.'

*Don't worry. The Rainbow Room is a place of pleasures. Many people will be drunk, snorting drugs and fucking. Often at the same time... like I said, skin is the best disguise, and if you look like you're not having fun, people will notice you then.* Darrik's telepathic comment was chuckling with amusement and then he took Cora's hand. *Me? I have money, so I can find a girl and a private room once you're settled in.*

They shadow-jumped through, and a cityscape appeared around them, the lights of the Rainbow Room clear a couple blocks down. "Let's have a fun afternoon."

Money. Right. Coraline knew she had forgotten something today. She'd have to run by her parent's bolthole if, no, when, definitely when, they did this again. She ignored the passive awareness pinging of passing strangers quickly and not so quickly fixing her with looks, blue-on-black eyes taking in the city around her, taking a breath before nodding her head. "Darrik," she stated wryly, "The day you have to *pay* for companionship is the day I'll be very worried about you. Comfortable clothing, right?"

The superhumanly pretty young metamorph concentrated a moment and her grey eufiber dress and boots blosomed to a white and purple pattern, the dark tights beneath developing a single line of connecting purple diamonds running down the outside of her legs. She nodded once, "Okay. Let's go."

Well things had made an interesting turn today. Seems like they've checked out. It looks like the details will come later. Perhaps we should discuss Zia and Eric. Now in truth it's up to Uncle, but obviously they're going to be staying here. I'd like to welcome them warmly.

"I agree with that, Maia. After all, we did the same to everyone when they got here. It's only fair they get a warm welcome from all of us." The water elemental said nodding her head. "So should I work on expanding the springs now later?"

Warren silently digested Anna's parting statement and then said, "She has children, is keeping files on Project Pro, and would love to hand them over to the wrecking machine. Perhaps we're judging Anna too harshly? She may be playing Traveler for her own click of 2nd gens."

Warren sent, Agreed about Zia and Eric. I like the little rug rats and they're safest with us... Something in how Warren phrased that last statement indicated he wasn't fully sure about it.

At about that point, Eric and Zia walked back into the room following Serenity. They seemed a bit more uncertain, but otherwise happy enough, and they looked around the room a moment. Eric spoke up as he shifted a little bit closer to Zia, almost protectively. "Can we get anything to eat?"

Meanwhile, as Darrik and Cora entered the Rainbow room, they were subjected to the most incredible sight they had every seen. A nova club, built for nova's, by nova's, where non-nova's were forbidden. Stained glass and colored lights, of all shapes and colors filled the room with thousands of varation of color, some of which only mega-perception could perceive, but all along some sort of shifting pattern theme.

Dancing in the air, music that went into realms unheard by normal humans, people wearing patterns of light, shadow, flower arrangements, or even nothing at all for clothing. The rule seemed to be, anything is allowed, no matter how crazy, as long as everyone was having fun.

With the return of Eric and Zia, as well as Serenity, Maia smiled. "Of course you can. What would you like? We've got eggs, and cereal of course." She looked at her other siblings, especially those who were actually good at the culinary arts, hoping they'd also chip in here.

For a moment Coraline literally forgot to breath as her senses soaked in the naked, well-crafted hedonistic excess of what she was seeing through her eyes and smelling through her nose and hearing through her ears and feeling through the soles of her feet, thoughts blinking out under the overload before internal filters dialed it down enough for her to process it, bit by bit, one flaring input at a time.

She swallowed, blinking away the most obvious, all-distracting wonder from her expression, pupils still glancing around in fascination at the work Slaves could do to craft their own space in a world of Baselines. This was... There was... The young metamorph's thoughts flailed for purchase as she refused to cower or submit to the impulse to fight or flee. "Darrik... This place it's..," she attempted, chorus fracturing a little, "Where do we start?"

"I don't know about that, Warren. I think we'd be fools if we weren't cautious in dealing with her. You can't run the biggest Elite agency in the world without being real canny," Butch said. "Maybe she's making a play for her own bunch of 2nd gens, but maybe she isn't. I think we'd do well to try and meet her kids if we can though. Can't hurt to make some new friends or at least get a peek at any potential competition."

When the kids came in, Butch smiled and waved at them. His own cooking skills were fairly limited, so he hoped someone else would help with the breakfast. Besides, he had other plans for the moment.

"Anyone heard Alex recently? She's been sounding a little tired, sort of far away. I'm gonna go pay her a visit."

He sent her a mental message, How's it goin', Alex? I'm coming down in a minute or two. You can feel free to put me to use. I know you might prefer workin' by your lonesome, but I'm pretty strong when I need to be. I can hold big hunks of metal in place or whatnot. You just tell me what to do. If not, I'd enjoy a little sneak peek at your pride and joy. And let me know if you want any food. I can bring you down a sandwich or something if you want.

The response Butch got was disquieting. There was a high pitched "squeal," or the telepathic equivalent of it, if such could be imagined. Not a human 'noise,' but rather similar to the howl of an old-fashioned modem or a similar electronic keening. This was followed by a modulated buzz.

Then Alex's mental voice, speaking in precisely timed words; regular as a metronome, as if she were using a stopwatch to determine when to say each one.

Butch. Everything. Is. All. Right. Help. Unneeded. Project. Done. Soon. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Maia
With the return of Eric and Zia, as well as Serenity, Maia smiled. "Of course you can. What would you like? We've got eggs, and cereal of course." She looked at her other siblings, especially those who were actually good at the culinary arts, hoping they'd also chip in here.
Warren said, "Young growing kidlet combined with nova metabolism? I think that calls for an omelet. Ham and cheese good?" Warren started cooking and followed the conversation in the background.

Originally Posted By: Butch_Cole
"I don't know about that, Warren. I think we'd be fools if we weren't cautious in dealing with her. You can't run the biggest Elite agency in the world without being real canny," Butch said. "Maybe she's making a play for her own bunch of 2nd gens, but maybe she isn't. I think we'd do well to try and meet her kids if we can though. Can't hurt to make some new friends or at least get a peek at any potential competition."

"Anyone heard Alex recently? She's been sounding a little tired, sort of far away. I'm gonna go pay her a visit."
Warren answered, "Alex is in full 'build-a-sub' mode. She has me drop off materials for it every now and then. We're harvesting a couple of planets from another system."

He added, "And I agree about Anna... but... her theme is power negation and business. She's been public forever, why isn't she sterile? Assume that she is and doesn't personally have the power to reverse it. Ergo Ms. Money-and-Connections used her money and connections to get help."

"So... help from whom? A nova with power over fertility? Remember the whole, 'if you were on the run' argument? And if Anna has someone like that around, why stop with herself? Forget Apothesis, she could say 'as long as you're loyal to DeVries you can have kids.'"

Warren finished, "Which brings us back to, who wants to sign up with her?"

Alex's response sounded a bit odd to Butch at first, but then again, his sister had her strange moments. She said everything was fine, so he took her at her mental word.

"Ain't gonna be me, Warren" Butch said, shaking his head. "I'm a known quantity out there in the world to hunters and law enforcement in the wrong way. Been hunted all my life, and they know my face and," he lowered his sunglasses exposing the multi-faceted, insect-like eyes he inherited from his mother, "these emerald beauties."

He found an apple, a red delicious, thankful that Uncle Shen and Aunt Serenity had all these connections and ways of keeping the group going. But he was getting the distinct impression that they were being prepared to start taking care of themselves. Being gently pushed out into the world was one of the ways his guardians were doing this. Butch took a bite, finished chewing, and continued.

"Plus, I'm probably still wanted in connection with at least one, well," Butch hesitated for a moment, "crime from back in the day. Being on the run like I was, and some of the folks I had to be friendly with, well, I'm not too proud of some of the things I did. Anyway, I'm not our face man, and exposing me to the world like what'll most likely happen to whoever signs on with DeVries ain't a great idea.

"That said, maybe we need to go over just how much the world already knows about us. Seems that Maia's known by the world, but what about the rest of us. I'm John Lee Cole, Jr., but I'm almost positive there ain't any record of my birth since I've never been to a hospital unless I was stealing something from it. I've been hunted my whole life and I've...permanently taken care of...at least four novas in my time, but they were all hunters and I don't think there were ever any official charges or anything, so I should be alright on that front. I was arrested once in Philly on a B and E, and they got my mug shot and prints before I busted out. I don't think John Law ever made the connection, but I bet Proteus has that info now. Little after that I was found in Baltimore by Uncle Shen and brought here. How about y'all? Who can safely handle some exposure?"

Originally Posted By: Envoy
For a moment Coraline literally forgot to breath as her senses soaked in the naked, well-crafted hedonistic excess of what she was seeing through her eyes and smelling through her nose and hearing through her ears and feeling through the soles of her feet, thoughts blinking out under the overload before internal filters dialed it down enough for her to process it, bit by bit, one flaring input at a time.

She swallowed, blinking away the most obvious, all-distracting wonder from her expression, pupils still glancing around in fascination at the work Slaves could do to craft their own space in a world of Baselines. This was... There was... The young metamorph's thoughts flailed for purchase as she refused to cower or submit to the impulse to fight or flee. "Darrik... This place it's..," she attempted, chorus fracturing a little, "Where do we start?"

As Darrik was slightly distracted by some of the surroundings himself, a rather handsome young man with blue skin, with a hint of a shimmer about it, approached Cora and gave her a graceful bow, offering her his hand. Should she take it, he would kiss the back of her hand in a mix of romantic and teasing manner. "Greetings, lovely lady, I am Norman, better known as Galaxy, and welcome to the Rainbow room."

Archived