Game of Thrones on HBO

RPG Post

• 2 weeks later...
Originally Posted By: VileBill
Watched it, enjoyed it. Never read the books so I'm curious if HBO had it sexxed up for their audience. Lotsa nekkids. Some great actors, good visuals and I was pulled right in.

HBO probably didn't sex it up that much. There's a running joke onling that Martin has the knights that say 'fuck' (and they do it more than they talk about it). I'll watch it myself tonight and let you know if they sexed it up, but there's a quite a bit of sex in the books.

Ok. I have now seen it. I will say this: the show has put in more sex and nudity and added scenes, but I never felt that the scenes were unnecessary. They were used to establish characters and their proclivities rather well.

Click to reveal.. (Spoilers inside)
For example, the scene with Tyrion getting a blow job and then a four-some (or was it five, I lost count of women) wasn't stated in the books. As far as I know, his first action when arriving in Winterfell wasn't to find a whore. But it was a rapid way to show that 1) Tyrion is a man-whore; 2) his brother shows him some affection; and 3) the way that Tyrion views the world and his POV on the way it views him in return. And with it being sexual in nature, it probably made it more interesting to a new viewer than having a scene of Tyrion and Jaime talking.

In contrast, the Dothroki wedding ceremony - pretty much exactly how it was described in the books.

Understand these are probably going to end up being the books that forty years from now I still call my favorite novels. When I started the first episode I had a bit of a expected let down (I know in television we are not supposed to see the big bad in the first five minutes but in the books we get a clear description) after that the opening credits to the show played. Even the opening credits had me hooked. Reading several reviews I have to agree with one thing, so far not a single performer has let me down.

Aside from the opening let down, which as I said I expected, this show has in 60 minutes thrilled me beyond belief. It was extremely refreshing after Dresden Files and Legend of the Seeker, two shows that struck out in very different directions from the books, to see a show that was a true visualization of the events that occur in the novels that it is based off of. If you haven't read the books I think this will be a very entertaining fantasy show to watch. If you have read the books I think that so far you will find this show to be true to the material.

The show is great. I haven't read the novels because Dav ran me in an AGoT before I read the novels that was so much fun that when I tried to read the novels I kept comparing the two and liking the game better. Gamers beware!

Seriously though, it's a great show. They did an awesome job of casting, the sets are incredibly well made, the costuming is superb...and so on. I highly recommend the show to anyone that's still sitting on the fence about it.

Archived