Aberrant: Children of Quantum Fire - OOC: Discussions

Krul

Right, well, in materials at least it's not necessary to have zero G. Alex can just create the material in its enhanced state, as if it had been crystallized in zero G, when she creates the material.

If there are things zero-G can help us with other than that, it could be useful to have access to warps and so on as well...but I can't think of many things that we'd need a weightless environment for.

The challenge is going to be where to do the building. Because it'll have to be done in sections we can't just build it out in the water. But the hull isn't designed to support its own weight sitting on the ground either...it could be damaged. In a shipyard, they have cranes and structures that hold the sections in place and allow them to be welded together....but we haven't got a shipyard.

I suppose Alex could create cranes, or some other way to hold the pieces up...

Hehe. She wasn't really planning on rushing like this...got ahead of ourselves.

• Replies 798
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Arr, but she's just one person. We'll need a system that can hold two hull sections long enough for Alex to bond them together. She'll be faster than welding (and better) since she can use her molecular control to fuse them...but it'll still take time. And then the conjoined sections will still have to be held while the third section is made and bonded. And then the fourth...etc...

It can't be put in the water until the whole thing is done.

Well, I was simply pointing out that some of Alex's foster siblings can do some of the stuff that normally a crane or a framework would be needed for... and quicker too. But while Maia and Butch could do some of the heavy lifting, I imagine that some framework would be necessary.

Posting a fic to cover the submarine construction. I'm ficcing it because it's a very specific task of which large parts of can be handled by Alex alone.

However, others can join if they like...and Alex is paging Warren even now as she moves from Plan A (I'll make the sub with my powers) to Plan B (I'll steal one of the existing hulls, bring it into the cave, and modify it as needed to suit my specifications).

This is all based on the rules for Matter Creation. In order to create a 10 ton segment of the hull, Alex would need 13 successes. Her Matter Creation + Wits dice pool is 13 dice. And a 10 ton hull segment is a TINY fraction of the entire thing. If she was forced to work with pieces that small, she'd run out of Willpower (to make it permanent) LONG before it was complete.

It's just too big, and too complex.

Fortunately, there's an alternative. Six Typhoons were made by the Soviet Union. 3 were scrapped, and one remains in active service. That means there's two hulls somewhere, not being used but not yet scrapped. All we have to do is find one, strap a motor to it, and make a warp in front of it. Assuming we can make a warp that big. If not...things get hairier. We might have to steal the one that WORKS in that case. wink

Submarine building - Vital question for GM

I've been reading up on Alexandra's other powers. Something jumped out at me.

Molecular Alteration doesn't appear to be limited by mass. Successes can cause changes in final size versus starting size, and cover changes in composition and complexity...but nowhere does it say a maximum amount of mass can be affected.

So my question is...would it be possible for Alex to locate a mass of rock...say, about 50 or 60 thousand tons of it...and simply change it into a submarine hull with only 5 successes on her Int+Molecular Control roll (a 15 dice pool...more if she uses her Prodigy dice)? Or would you like to place a mass cap per power usage...to prevent someone more opportunistic than I from saying, "I turn the Earth into a sea of formic acid?"

If you rule that it's possible for Alex to manufacture the sub with three or less usages of her Molecular Alteration ability...which is like Matter Creation, but she has to start with something first...then I can just nuke the Et Facta Ex Lux thread entirely, since its existence is based on the notion that manufacturing the submarine ourselves is not possible.

Posting will then resume in the IC thread you made.

Otherwise I'll keep things how they are.

As a benchmark, I think using the Matter Creation mass table would work for that ability, on another note, turning a stone submarine into a metal one is not impossible, and I prefer to follow the rule of cool in this case... but it would be an extremely unusual effect, and take her a week of constantly draining her quantum reserves. It would also cost her a fairly large chunk of permanent willpower, if you want her to do this.

It would be slightly easier to have Warren warp large chunks of metal, of which there are tons of around a certain moon, which are already of the right materials... though that would leave both Warren and Alex drained almost to nothing for days as they work on the project. Still, it is easier to fuse and shape metal using Molecular Manipulation Shape Alteration technique, as solids hold their shape indefinitely.

On a side note, if you had Molecular Authority, I would say yes without question.. *winks* but that awaits apotheosis. However, if Alex chooses either of these paths, there is a chance forcing herself though this will invoke her next stage (and a chance for Warren also in the second case).. I will have to make the rolls and see what comes of it.

Well, Shape Matter is permanent, but it can't ALL be done with just shaping. The hull will have to have electronic components and moving parts in it as well. And then there's all the stuff that goes into the hull, like the reactors and the furniture and so on.

So I guess the question is, assuming we strip mine that moon as suggested, how much willpower will Alex have to spend, assuming she uses Shape Matter wherever possible?

Also, you can nuke the current Fic. I'll either start a new one fresh, or use your IC thread.

Two questions for ST on Warp. First, what is it's duration?

Second, can one gate be moved around (I think it's implied that it can't, at least on a planet... although Warren might be the exception with his Elemental Mastery), and if not, what does "can't be moved" mean in the context of orbit?

Archived