Big Eyes, Small Mouth (BESM): Monster Academy - Chapter 3: Planning

Justin OOC

Delilah rolled her eyes, lush lips curving into a smirk as the two heirs played their dominance games. She much preferred the succubi way of doing things - seductive posing which often led to intimidate, carnal, caresses of oneupsmanship. Both sides won in the exchange. The succubus' grin widened, remembering her first encounter with Jezebelle in the Cheerleader Locker Room, a Freshman challenging a Junior for Head Cheerleader on the varsity team.

Delilah took a deep breath then gave her head a quick shake before she got too excited remembering that exchange - though despite Jezebelle's claims, Lilith's daughter still believed she was the one who came out on top. After all, Jezebelle had been the one with her back on the floor.

"Aria," Delilah said, greeting her room-mate with a small wave, though she pouted a little. She really thinks Skye would be a better tutor for Kuro then me? I don't think so! She gave a small sniff, then flashed Kuro another smile.

"Yup, we're all in the Newspaper Club," Delilah answered for the surly half-angel. "We have to investigate stuff so we have stuff to write about, of course. And investigating often leads to the Human World, and the Human World can lead to all sorts of fun, as I'm sure Skye will show you." Her grin turned wry. "Though Ms. Nekomone really does harp on the 'facts,' dry as they can be. Sometimes stuff needs a little polish, a little glitter, to make 'em pop, y'know?"

Delilah leaned forward, instinctively - though probably unintentionally - offering another display of her ravishing curves, and held up a hand to the side of her mouth as she said in a stage whisper, "And no worries, if Skye doesn't show you the fun stuff in the Human World, I will."

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally Posted By: Kurosoroshiimaru

Originally Posted By: Kyradathea
"Who are you, and what are you doing with my friend?" Her manner was imperious, almost as arrogant as his own in it's own way, like only a princess could be.

The imperious manner set Kuromaru's teeth on edge, though he showed no sign of it on his face, which was a coldly calm as usual as he turned towards the person foolish enough to issue a borderline challenge to him, the only sign of his irritation a slight narrowing of his eyes.

It didn't even occur to him beyond a passing thought that he might lose such a fight. He was daiyokai, a Prince of the Beast Court and the third finest combatant in his realm, his father being clearly the first and his sister besting Kuromaru by a narrow margin. Defeat in combat would, if he survived, only make him stronger, and leave room for a rematch. If he died, it would cease to matter.

Spirits and gods, she was beautiful. Fiery, in fact, and both coloration and dragon motif on her kimono were not lost on the hengeyokai. Was he fated to be challenged and tested by beautiful girls his entire time here at the Academy? If only some obnoxious male would dare speak to him so - then an example could be truly made.

Still, beautiful or not, he had eaten enough humble pie for one day. There was no way in the Thousand Hells he was backing down to that tone. He drew himself up-

Originally Posted By: Skye Angelus
However, Delilah saved the day as she said, “Kyra, it’s alright, this is just a new student I was meeting.” She smiled coyly at the tall prince as she added, “I know you’re new – I would have never have missed you. Kurosoroshiimaru, this is Kyradathea, daughter of the Ruler of the Red Dragon Clan and of all Chromatic Dragons. Kyra, this is the heir to the Hengeyokai throne. You two ought to have much in common.”

"Indeed." Kuromaru stated levelly, his eyes on Kyra's as he inclined his head politely. His next words were in a deep, sonorous and faintly growling language. "#Fair day to you, Kyradathea the Red. Let the sun be jealous of your fire, the moon hide her jealous face from the radiance of your scales, and the stars turn green with envy at the magnificence of your hoard, upon which I have no designs or desires.#" Formal Draconic greetings were a mouthful, but seeing as informal greetings in Draconic between strangers tended to be boastful dominance challenges that would quickly lead to combat, formality was probably for the best. "#As has been said, I am Kurosoroshiimaru. I stand before you as neither foe nor tribute, offering you respect for respect, challenge for challenge.#"

That was the tricky part. His tutors had told him that establishing one's position with regards to a dragon was paramount. Too meek, and the dragon would regard you as a possession or a slave. Too forceful, and there would be a fight. If one didn't wish to be considered a dragon's servant, then it was always better to err on the side of forceful, and be prepared for the consequences. What he had in essence told Kyradathea, in formal declaration no less, was that he considered himself her equal, and it would take combat for her to assert otherwise.

Kuromaru's words rang though her like a bell might ring might ring though a church, it was almost like the girl was physically struck. For the first time sense she had been here, someone knew exactly what to say to her, and she knew exactly where she stood with regards to another. Her manner shifted from being so imperious and confrontational..

In fact, his words with regards to her beauty and her hoard actually had her turning.. kittenish, almost shy, which wasn't an attitude anyone had seen from her before.. and she actually blushed, because for the first time, she was being complimented in a way she fully understood. Then, she did something else she had never done before in the presence of any of the others.

She bowed to the prince.. and responded to his greeting with a formal one all of her own, once more in the dragon tongue. #Fair Day to you, Prince, may you always be as fierce as fire and as handsome as burnished gold.. I return to you, respect for respect, challenge for challenge.# Someone with less knowledge of dragons might not have realized she was complementing his beauty with the statement about gold. She then meet his eyes with her own, and they twinkled with excitement and challenge, he'd taken exactly the right tactic with her, and she was intrigued and interested.. an equal was something she hadn't really seen anyone else as, even if they deserved the label. She saw them as her friends, and needing her protection, as her hoard did, this one had declared a different status with his words.

Delilah harrumphed playfully, a hand on her cocked hip, amused at the coquettish delight she tasted rolling off Kyra. Well, look at that, social interaction she understands.

"You know guys, some of us don't speak 'Grr, Argh,'" Delilah commented impishly, clawing at the air with slender fingers tipped with glossy, flawlessly manicured, obsidian nails. "Most humans don't either."

The succubus teasingly stuck out her dexterous tongue at Kyra and Kuro, pink and coy.

Skye felt herself retreating and pulling back. She always did that at this school; when surrounded by demons, she just let herself melt away. "No, sign ups aren't immediate," Skye said softly when he looked at her and asked about the club. "They're closed. But since you just got here, they'll probably let you join, so long as you do it in a couple of days. I'd do it sooner rather than later; we're starting on a big project soon. We're all in it; I like that they take field trips home - ah, I mean, to the Human World."

As always, the homesickness curled around her gut a little, squeezing like a fist. Clearing her throat, she took a step back, physically distancing herself from the others. Her expression settled into a bland, blank appearance, giving away none of her feelings - except to those who could smell or sense them. To them, her sudden grief was as tell-tale as tears.

"If you find Ms. Nekomone, she's the teacher in charge of the club," Skye added, her blue eyes aloof. "She does know quite a lot about the Human World. She may have lived there for a time. I'm not sure." She fell silent, feeling like she was babbling. What was wrong with her? There were others around, demons to amuse and distract him, and she should use them to get away and resume her solo trek. I don't want to be rude. I'll stay until he leaves with Delilah, she told herself, biting her lip and wondering what Kyra and Kuro were saying to one another.

"As for the purpose of the club," Aria added, "Delilah is quite correct about the ostensible reason for the club's existence. But of course, as with anything, there are the reasons...and the reasons FOR the reasons. The Newspaper Club is no different. I'm sure Ms. Nekomone will be pleased to accept you."

"Well. This has been eventful. So many celebrities. I'm sure the drama department will be pleased to have famous names on their signs."

Delilah straightened up, preening under Aria's comment that she was right... Though she really didn't need to add a qualification to it, did she now?

The teen temptress didn't miss how Skye was trying to withdraw, nor her sudden upwelling of grief, either, her lips growing firm. If the half-angel wasn't interested in her company, well... that was a pity - she didn't get nearly as much interest from girls as she'd like - but she'd be damned (blessed?) if she was going to let Skye sulk away in loneliness. Both her and Kuro McIcyLord had revealed a hint of interest in each other. It wasn't a lot, but it was enough to get started... they just needed a little help.

Delilah took a step back as if mention something to the retreating Skye and feigned a stumble over her towering heels. The overly dramatic teen couldn't seem to help doing anything in less than a dramatic fashion, and in this, she didn't disappoint. Her legs shot out from under her, her brief skirt flared out, revealing the bright pink thong she was wearing, making a loud 'Ooph!' as she landed on her well padded derriere...

... And Skye felt a hand on her pert behind, giving it a mischievous squeeze a second before it pushed with a demonic strength that belied Delilah's soft, decorative exterior, propelling the Half-Celestial Human Girl stumbling into the Hengeyokai Prince. Kuro had the choice of simply sliding out of the way and letting Skye sprawl out on the ground, or steadying her in his arms. In this instance, he chose to play the gallant lord and caught her in his arms, his strong hands on her waist.

"Oops! Silly me!" Delilah exclaimed self-deprecatingly, looking up at them with a half-grin on her face. If she was dissembling, she was doing a good job of it. "Heels - they make your calves and ass look amazing, but aren't so great for strutting around out doors."

Anyone who knew Delilah for any length of time knew she had never had any problem strutting, with or without heels. "Well... since you're already holding hands... um, holding... close enough, why don't you show Kuro to the Newpaper Club room, Skye? Ms. Nekomone was still there when I left and her office is right next door - I know, she's called me into it more than once."

The succubus scrambled to her feet, some Abyssal capacity enabling it to look enticing rather than awkward. She had a wide grin on her face as she slipped an arm around Kyra's and Aria's waist, ignoring their instinctive stiffness at the more than just casual contact.

"Me and the girls still have things to do. Kyra needs her own lessons in adapting to the Human ways of doing things and we can start working on ideas for the Festival. Right girls?"

Though is seemed a light, casual question, something in Delilah's purple eyes glittered, daring them to disagree with her. Delilah gave a self-satisfied nod at their stunned - and seeming agreeable - silence and flashed Skye and Kuro another smile, as she began urging Kyra and Aria down the path. She give Skye a quick wink.

"You two have fun. And remember, since you're trying to show Kuro the human way of doing things, Skye, make sure you two hold hands as you walk down the halls. In the Human World, a boy and a girl walking together in High School always hold hands in the halls."

Kuromaru was incredibly pleased with his tutors at that moment - and with himself, naturally, for being such a great student. Not only had his Draconic been almost-perfect, but the impact of his words had been more than he'd hoped for. Unless he was very much mistaken in his estimation, Kyradathea was a little smitten right now!

Then Delilah made comment on their speaking in Draconic, and Kuromaru nodded in apology and listened as Skye explained about the club, a faint frown creasing his perfect brow as her scent shifted yet again, smelling of distress as she took a step back and closed herself in, body language-wise. Then Aria mentioned something about a Drama club, and he opened his mouth to ask about that-

Originally Posted By: Delilah Synn
... And Skye felt a hand on her pert behind, giving it a mischievous squeeze a second before it pushed with a demonic strength that belied Delilah's soft, decorative exterior, propelling the Half-Celestial Human Girl stumbling into the Hengeyokai Prince. Kuro had the choice of simply sliding out of the way and letting Skye sprawl out on the ground, or steadying her in his arms. In this instance, he chose to play the gallant lord and caught her in his arms, his strong hands on her waist.

He had reacted instinctively: as soon as he'd registered the look of alarm in Skye's blue eyes as she came at him, he'd reached out for her, stepping forward so as to steady and catch her so fast that the others barely registered the movement. The human-blooded girl's arms were flung out in an effort to catch her balance, and as one hand connected with the warm solidity of Kuromaru's chest the other looped around his shoulders. Their bodies almost touching, each intimately aware of the other's hands, both Skye and Kuromaru instinctively locked eyes. Startled blue and concerned green held each other for a long moment, both dimly aware that Delilah was saying something about some Festival or other...

The young dragoness was actually a bit disappointed when Delilah's actions pushed Kuro's attention away from her and back to Skye. But Delilah was her friend, she must have a reason why she pushed Skye into Kuro and turned his attention away from her. But she had scented the sadness in the girl as well, so she didn't interfere, maybe Delilah wanted to cheer the girl up. Of course, it was an odd way to cheer someone up, by pushing them into someone else, but maybe it was a human custom, she'd ask Delilah about it later.

Her eyes watched Kuro as his incredibly quick movement to catch Skye, and narrowed slightly, that speed suggested that he could be dangerous. Of course, he had introduced himself as an equal, and not a danger, so she relaxed a moment later... besides, if he was an equal and not a enemy, he could become a valuable ally in the future.

She allowed Delilah to push her down the path, even as she looked at her in confusion, not entirely understanding the lying involved. "Why did you do that?" She asked, just as they were being directed out, leaving Skye and Kuro alone.

Skye wanted to turn and rip into Delilah, but she found herself caught by Kurosoroshiimaru's gaze. There was nothing for her but those green eyes, the touch of his hands and the soft breeze that pushed the scent of cherry blossoms to them. A moment later, a slightly harder gust festooned them in the petals, leaving glints of pink in their clothing and hair.

Eyes? she thought, dimly aware that there was more to the thought than just that one word but unable to articulate it in her mind, much less on her lips. There was something wrong here, but the young half-angel was unable to focus on anything other than the young man holding her.

A raucous whistle and jeer from a passing rat-demon was only half-noticed, but it was enough to break the moment. Skye took one breath and then another; each one filled her nose with the stink of yokai and reminded her where and who she was. When she blinked, after what had seemed an eternity, Kuromaru was freed as well, his green eyes fluttering as he regained his senses. Skye took a step back, swallowing as her blush threatened to permanently discolor her face. "Sorry, I'm sure that you don't like being touched," she said, lifting her hands away from his shoulder and chest. "Or at least . . . I dunno."

You could sound more stupid, but it would take effort. Speaking of effort, I'll have to put some into making sure Delilah is sorry for what she just did. "The newspaper club? Are you still interested in joining?" she asked. "And then after, it'll be dinner and we can start your lessons. If... if you want."

Wait a moment... why had Delilah done that? Was she so interested in Kyohei that she couldn't see other men? Skye wasn't sure, but it seemed like a good idea to find out.

"Given that I intended to catch you, touching was somewhat necessary." Kuromaru murmured, his composure quick to reassert itself, at least outwardly. His pulse felt too fast, his breath too short, and he was certain that the blush reddening Skye's fair cheeks was also stamped across his own pale skin, so hot did his face feel right now. In fact, the only outward signs of his emotions were in his expression, which was uncertain, and his eyes, which gleamed. "And..." he hesitated, unsure of his words. "And it was not unpleasant." he told her. "The touching, I mean..." he added quickly, in case she thought he meant her getting pushed over, or something like that. He felt foolish, like a clumsy kitten missing a pounce.

It was hard to think straight right now, with the scent of cherry blossoms and Skye filling his world. The young hengeyokai knew what that would mean back home if he met a female whose scent filled his world. Somehow he doubted it meant the same out here. Things were trickier, rules were different. He didn't even know what manner of parent Skye had! And she was half-human!! That would be... that was... it would cause... Oh, damn!

"Ahh yes. The newspaper club." he said after a moment's pause and several deep breaths. All of them, unfortunately, contained Skye, but there was enough fresh air in there as well. "Seeing as my sister Shizuka will never forgive me if I do not, and... And since you are also a member, I am indeed interested in joining. And lessons in human ways over dinner with you sounds very pleasant."

"Fine. Good. Uh, it's this way." Skye said, indicating along the path. They moved off, and Kuromaru looked sideways at the blonde head level with his shoulder. Skye was quiet as they moved along the path and began to enter the school building, and the hengeyokai wondered if he'd done something wrong, something to offend. She wasn't looking at him, as though he made her uncomfortable. What could be the problem- Ah! He remembered Delilah's sultry voice as she gave some advice:

Originally Posted By: Delilah Synn
"...make sure you two hold hands as you walk down the halls. In the Human World, a boy and a girl walking together in High School always hold hands in the halls..."

That was it, of course! Skye was withdrawn because he was walking along with her and hadn't held her hand. Well, that was easily rectified. He reached down and gently took Skye's right hand in his left, his slender, pale fingers curling gently yet firmly around hers. When Skye shot him a surprised look, he smiled, very faintly.

"Is this right?" he asked, green eyes curious.

This was a dream. It had to be. Skye was sure that she really wasn't blushing and stammering around a cute demon who enjoyed catching her, that this was all a bizarre dream. Maybe she'd get really lucky and she'd wake up at home in Tokyo, with Mom making breakfast in their small kitchen. Grief struck her again, as painful as a knife, so she was utterly distracted when Kuromaru reached for her. When he took her hand, she gaped at him in surprise.

"Uh, well, ah," Skye stammered, helpless to form real words with his fingers holding hers. "In, ah, the Human World - Delilah's half-right!" That was all she could manage to say in the face of the prince's gesture.

"Half? Is this the wrong hand?" he asked, looking curious. She decided rather suddenly that she liked that expression much more than his angry, haughty one.

"Noooo, alright, this is . . . something that humans learn through socialization, so rationally explaining is a little . . . hard. It's likely to raise some questions." Especially from the other students and teachers. She hadn't seen a lot of PDA from anyone but the incubi and succubi. She was pretty sure that the monsters had little to no concept of "dating". "When humans decide to date, they'll sometimes hold hands to show uh . . . their status. Usually not in school, because the teachers get onto them. Like animals mark trees, humans will do that as a visual sign that they are dating this person and that no one else should try to date them."

"What is dating?" he asked, still looking curious.

"Humans will do social things together to try to learn if they like the other person enough to marry them," Skye tried to explain. She wasn't sure she was doing a good job of it. "They do things together to see if their personalities mesh. If they don't, they stop dating that person and seek someone else." He still had her hand. "Delilah was right, but only couples announcing their status openly hold hands in public."

You officially sound like a retard now.

And you're holding hands with a demon.

It's just instructional! I'll let go after the lesson.

"You're that set on Kyohei?" Aria asked Delilah with a hint of a smirk playing on her lips. "I would have thought a Cat Lord to be far more your style. They're reputed to be very sensual...and of course, no celestial baggage to mess things up."

Delilah took her hands off Kyra's and Aria's waists, crossing her arms beneath expansive bosom, a melancholy smile gracing her lips as she led her friends down the path. A slender shoulder rose and fell in an emphatic shrug. "I have my own celestial baggage to carry now, I guess. Me and Kyohei will work things out."

She waved a hand back down the path toward Skye and Kuro, giving her friends a questioning look. "Don't you guys see what's happening with Skye? She's closing up and closing in, keeping everything to herself, even more than you, Aria. It isn't healthy, especially here, in a place that's suppose to be High School. It can be dangerous even. I don't want our resident half-angel to end up doing something stupid that get her in trouble or eaten - and not in the fun way." Delilah sighed, taxing the limits of her school clothes.

"If she doesn't want to get closer to me, that's fine. I won't push, even if I don't understand - I'm sweet and sexy and nice, I make an awesome friend. So when I tasted the bit of interest she had for Kuro, and Kuro for her, I decided to give it a bit of help before she ran away to sulk some more."

The exceedingly curvaceous demoness placed a hand between her prominent breasts, a hint of her usual grin back. "And I selflessly passed up claiming the Cat Lord for my own." Her grin widened a trifle, wicked dimples flashing into existence. "Besides, nothing says we can't have fun later."

She glanced up at Kyra pacing along at one side of her, placing a hand on her shoulder. "It's what friends do, helping each other, especially when they don't think they need the help, but really do. Even with us, Skye is lonely, so... I gave her a bit of outside help."

She glanced down the other way at Aria, giving her a pouting scowl upon seeing the studious expression. "What? Did you think I only ever had sex on my mind?" When all Aria did was raise a single, dark brow, Delilah sniffed contemptuously, but couldn't manage to hold her severe, disgusted expression.

"I can think of more than one thing at a time, y'know," Delilah admitted with a naughty, good-natured grin, plucking at a stray cherry blossom that had come from somewhere and lodged itself deep in her glorious cleavage.

"So this dating is like... experimental courtship?" Kuromaru said as they continued to walk hand-in-hand, the hengeyokai showing little inclination to let go. As his fingertips moved lightly over the skin of Skye's hand, he pondered what she'd told him, filing away the addendum that succubi were devious and deceitful in the 'No duh!' bin (A phrase his sister had liked to use a few years ago: Kuromaru suddenly found it very appropriate).

"I suppose so, yes." Skye said with a hesitant smile. She looked up at his profile, noting the way his left ear poked out from under the fine black hair, the outside of it covered in short pale fur. Unlike a nekojin, the hengeyokai's ear seemed to be in the same place as a human's, just a different shape. Skye wondered what they felt like to touch, and ruthlessly quashed that line of inquiry. "They don't date where you're from?" she asked, one curiousity replacing another.

"Among the commoners, we can smell when a prospective mate is right for us." Kuromaru replied, vaguely aware that there was something making him nervous yet excited to be having this conversation with Skye. "When one does, the traditional response is to try to win the other's favour by various means, to ascertain if one smells right to them in turn. It is a game I understand that the females enjoy very much." He shrugged lightly. "Amongst the nobility, rules are different. Things are... arranged. Depending on a daiyokai's position, they may have many wives or husbands, all for reasons of politics and the formation of pacts. If they find them attractive, that is considered a benefit."

And that was the problem. Here, on his first day at Monster Academy, Kuromaru had met someone who smelled right. Not just right, but Right!... and she was human-blooded. She wasn't even half hengeyokai! And this walking along holding hands felt good. Skye was right about one thing - Kuromaru wasn't a very tactile youth. Others in his father's court were - they touched, fussed over one another, petted and kissed and cuddled. Kuro was somewhat of an oddity there, sharp looks and sharper claws warning away anyone that got too close. But Skye had touched him three times now: the first collision, the second when he caught her, and now with her hand in his, and it wasn't offensive to him. He wondered what to make of it. And as he reluctantly conceded that he wouldn't be allowed to court Skye for real, the young yokai wondered why his chest hurt in a strangely heavy way. It was another odd, new thing.

"This custom of dating sounds agreeable." he declared softly, with his customary composure. "Would you consent to practice it with me, Miss Skye?"

You are asking her to practice-court you.

I wish to understand human customs! If our personalities do not mesh, as she says we part with no offence on either side.

Do not lie to yourself, Kurosoroshiimaru. You care little about human customs. She is not just some half-human girl teaching you of human ways. She smells 'Right'. This is a bad idea because you will develop feelings and then have some of yourself ripped away, just like in the tales.

Nonsense. Only commoners are ruled by such instincts. I am in control of them. Now be still.

After a bit of rest, Darrik got out of his bed and departed his room for a bit of a walk. Maybe some fresh air would give him some insights into the problem. But given a few minutes, he found himself being glowered at by every red-blooded monster male outside that he passed. Which meant everyone basically, and more so than the normal business being a Warlock. There was of course, one reason for the supercharged hostility.

Jezebelle.

Darrik and the succubus co-cheerleader captain had been solidly going out ever since he'd returned from the Hot Springs. And as the arm-lock with classic deceiving succubus strength denoted, Darrik was simultaneously blessed, but also cursed with the envy of all who sought the luscious Jezebelle as theirs. Of course, Darrik's powerful magic ensured that those who tried to resort to force to remove him failed miserably.

Often, Darrik would remark about these to Jezebelle during the night when they shared his bed. They would laugh at the foolishness of the interlopers, then Jez would give that winning smile- and though it was never sex, she taught him things Delilah never did- and in the morning they awoke entwined comfortably.

Caught in such a memory, he smiled, resulting in several different headaches, fights and disruptions as the weaker competitors present found the need to gnaw on their own liver elsewhere- or on that of another person.

Then he stopped, a fair distance from Skye and the... hengeyokai, the ears were cat-shaped but in the normal spot... holding hands? Darrik quickly glanced heavenward to make sure the sun hadn't turned to ice or something equally unnatural. Well, the catboy was clearly going to be the meow of every girl here, but Darrik felt nothing to fear for competition.

In a moment, he was about to introduce himself and confirm that yes, Skye the Celestial was mooning over a yokai when a taloned hand yanked him about to face a rather pissed off motley horde. One vampire, a werewolf, and several other angry monster teens were staring enough daggers at Darrik to render him a mass of shredded meat if real.

"Alright, mageboy-" The vampire snarled, only to be interrupted by Darrik, trying to not get into another conflict for once, and thus using a polite if not pleasant facade: "The proper term is Warlock, Stephon."

"Do we care? It's high time you got off your smirking ass and removed that spell on Jezebelle!" This was loud enough to reach Skye and Kurosoroshiimaru, but Darrik turned around and ignored the group. Without making any significant motions, walking towards the two on the path, he commanded the shadows to pool at his feet, preparing a full-scale defensive spell should they attempt to attack fruitlessly.

"I did no such thing, so I can't comply with your wishes, I'm afraid." It was an old rumor that obviously refused to die, as no one would dare consider that Jezebelle might actually be interested in a warlock. He continued down towards the half-angel and the son of the Panther King, continuing, "Good Day."

Naturally, fixated on the infuriating warlock, Strephon and his posse pursued. "We're not finished with-"

Again Darrik interrupted, annoyed but aware of their persistence. "The matter is closed, Strephon. I have no reason to fight over this, and for that matter," he indicated Skye but more importantly Kurosoroshiimaru, "we have, if I'm not mistaken, a new student. Surely you would rather not get in trouble for an unprovoked fight and sending the worse message possible to those joining us?"

The group finally noticed the other two for the first time, and after a moment or two, retired rather than escalate with others present. Skye couldn't be considered a friendly party at that.

Darrik sighed and then entered pleasantries mode with Kurosoroshiimaru. "Sorry to Skye and you, I try not to let this problem spill over to others, but sometimes... Anyway, I believe we haven't met, I'm Darrik Saliusann. And you?"

Skye stiffened at his question; he'd seen her surprised but he'd never seen her look this startled. "Oh, Kuromaru," she said, shortening his name without thinking, "I don't--"

Originally Posted By: Darrik
"Do we care? It's high time you got off your smirking ass and removed that spell on Jezebelle!" This was loud enough to reach Skye and Kurosoroshiimaru, but Darrik turned around and ignored the group. Without making any significant motions, walking towards the two on the path, he commanded the shadows to pool at his feet, preparing a full-scale defensive spell should they attempt to attack fruitlessly.

The interruption was welcome to Skye, but it left the young Hengeyokai prince hanging in a manner unfamiliar to him. She didn't what?! Like him? Want him? Want to talk about this right now? Maybe she didn't want to practice courtship but preferred the real thing. What was it?

When Darrik turned his back on them, Skye looked up at Kurosoroshiimaru, her expression confused, even a little afraid. "I don't know if-"

"I did no such thing, so I can't comply with your wishes, I'm afraid." It was an old rumor that obviously refused to die, as no one would dare consider that Jezebelle might actually be interested in a warlock. He continued down towards the half-angel and the son of the Panther King, continuing, "Good Day."

Skye broke off again as the distraction continued, leaving Kuromaru in a silent, hidden agony. As she battled with her feelings, torn, the young prince hung onto her hand stubbornly. He'd never been denied anything he truly desired and he wasn't about to let go now. Of course, she hadn't let go, either . . .

But she was watching the approaching group warily. Her hand tightened around his as it twitched toward her side; the perceptive prince watched as her left hand moved instead, touching a spot on her side. She was clearly ready for the group to escalate matters and they were getting closer.

Naturally, fixated on the infuriating warlock, Strephon and his posse pursued. "We're not finished with-"

Again Darrik interrupted, annoyed but aware of their persistence. "The matter is closed, Strephon. I have no reason to fight over this, and for that matter," he indicated Skye but more importantly Kurosoroshiimaru, "we have, if I'm not mistaken, a new student. Surely you would rather not get in trouble for an unprovoked fight and sending the worse message possible to those joining us?"

The group finally noticed the other two for the first time, and after a moment or two, retired rather than escalate with others present. Skye couldn't be considered a friendly party at that.

Darrik sighed and then entered pleasantries mode with Kurosoroshiimaru. "Sorry to Skye and you, I try not to let this problem spill over to others, but sometimes... Anyway, I believe we haven't met, I'm Darrik Saliusann. And you?"

Skye sighed, trying to compose herself. Her stomach was in knots, painful and hard in her gut. "Darrik," she said briskly, trying to cover her distress, "this is Kurosoroshiimaru, heir to the Hengeyokai throne. Kurosoroshiimaru, this is Darrik the human-traitor. I mean, warlock!" Skye was so flustered that she actually blushed, something that Darrik hadn't seen from her very often. She also put her other hand around Kuromaru's - which she wasn't really aware that she'd done until her fingers curled around their intertwined hands. She paused and then blurted, "Do those boys actually believe that a succubus would need to have a spell cast on her to want to fool around with a boy?"

"From what I understand of succubi, their only abiding standard is that the male needs to have a libido. Even a pulse is optional." Kuromaru observed in a cool matter-of-fact tone as he gazed at the warlock, his eyes expressionless and demeanour once more coldly composed. A human. A damned human with magic, interrupting their important discussion, swaggering around the school and mouthing off to true monsters simply because a succubus found them attractive. Of course succubi found young human males attractive! To consider that remarkable was akin to a tender young deer taking pride in the attentions of a hungry lion. Humans, really! At least Skye was only half-human. Thoughts of Skye made him glance at the girl, noting her anxious demeanour and the fact that both of her hands were now clasping his. He gently squeezed, unsure why he did it save some instinct towards trying to reassure her. He decided that he wouldn't make an issue of her calling him Kuromaru - if they were 'dating', after all, it would only be right not to be so formal.

"The warlock is a friend of yours?" he asked, watching her face and eyes. Skye hesitated before replying, obviously choosing her words with care.

"He's a... classmate." she said, unable to bring herself to call a traitor to humankind a friend, but not wanting to be rude. Kurosoroshiimaru's eyes narrowed fractionally, and he looked back at - and through - Darrik.

"Ah. Then I'm sure we shall see more of him in class. I keenly anticipate the experience." The tone could have been a dismissive statement of the obvious, or frosty sarcasm. It was hard to tell: Kuromaru's regal hauteur was nigh-impenetrable. Having spoken, he turned to go, his hand still in both of Skye's. "Shall we continue, Skye?"

Inside, Darrik seethed in frustration as this... this... snotty cat brat! His composure remained calm though, but what rankled him wasn't the comments on him. It was the crude, uncaring comment, as if it was true and any effort to find out verifying evidence or think otherwise was irrelevant.

Still, at least Skye was being a tinge more polite. Half a step forward there at least. "I didn't think you two were dating all of a sudden, how terrible of me to interrupt."

Kurosoroshiimaru narrowed his eyes and responded coldly, "You are not interrupting."

"Still..." Darrik paused and decided to avoid this fat cat. "Don't forgot the meeting with the Drama Club tomorrow, Skye. Goodbye, Kurosoroshiimaru, Skye."

He started off, but decided to try and nail something into Kitty's head. "Oh," Darrik suddenly added, turning around. " word of advice. Letting your mouth spew is a great way to make no friends and many enemies. Especially when it's succubi being insulted."

Then, leaving that for thought, Darrik started walking off and stepped into the shadows of a cherry tree, melting away through them to a place where pests and immature cat princes were less abundant.

Skye sighed as Darrik left. She had a bad feeling about this; Darrik was in the club and he'd clearly not enjoyed being treated like Kuromaru had. Skye couldn't blame him; she'd received some nasty comments here, too. But that was high school, frankly. "Yeah, let's go," she said as Darrik faded from view.

They walked in silence, only three steps before Kurosoroshiimaru said casually, "You did not say whether you accept or decline my proposal."

"No," Skye said, licking her lips nervously, "I didn't." She glanced up at him and the struggle she was feeling was in her blue eyes. "Dating isn't a game. I know you are trying to learn, but it's not like experimental courtship - it's how humans court. And there's more to it, emotionally. If you treat it lightly, someone's going to get hurt. Probably me. I am the human one."

"Half." The clarification was said quickly and Skye missed the importance that he placed on her mixed blood status.

"But raised as human," she said firmly, letting go of his hand long enough to brush some hair back from her face. "It'd be an experiment for you, but . . . I don't know if I could make it just a lesson." A female Hengeyokai, her markings labeling her as a fox to Kuromaro, walked past them and did a double-take. A second later, she walked into an open door, making Skye flinch a little in sympathy. The prince didn't seem to notice. "And if it did become more than a lesson for you, then you'd have to deal with that when you're married off. That's what you said, arranged marriages. When I said dating was a prelude to marriage, I mean it's partially about falling in love with someone. You haven't mentioned love yet, especially not for the nobility. I- I don't want to fall in love with . . . someone I can't have." The last was said in a pained whisper. She started to say more but closed her mouth sharply, cutting off her next words.

He was silent for a long moment, thinking over what she had said as he looked at her profile. "You haven’t mentioned love yet, especially not for the nobility. I… I don’t want to fall in love with… someone I can’t have."

Love. Love was something he hadn't thought of. Hengeyokai were among the 'higher' orders of monsters that could know love, but even amongst his people romantic love was rare; and valued, like a polished gem. But every tale told or sung of romantic love always seemed to end in tragedy, especially when it was between 'forbidden' couples. Was that simply a device of talespinners? He set aside those thoughts for now, concentrating on Skye. Damn it to the Hells, he was a Daiyokai, not some lovesick cherubim.

"Nor do I." he said in answer to her whispered words, his voice a low murmur. He stopped them and turned Skye to face him, meeting her blue eyes with his as he took both her hands in his. The hengeyokai prince's gaze was earnest. "I will be frank with you, because to be otherwise would be foolish and I cannot abide foolishness. I would not have asked you to 'date' me if I did not feel interest in you. I want to know you better, even though you are half-human and I am a prince of my people. I thought a little while ago about how I could not court you and it made me feel heavy here." He released one of her hands and placed his own over his heart. "Like a weight was pulling on my heart." His eyes searched hers plaintively, the liquid emerald the only visible display of emotion in his face. "I do not know what that means, Skye. It is new to me, and I do not like it." He took a breath and recaptured her hand in his.

"But I like you. I do not know much of love: it is a thing from tales in my land, but I do not wish to hurt you. I... If you say 'no' to me, then I will accept it." His face tightened faintly, his eyes glimmering. "The thought makes that heavy feeling come, but I will accept it. But you should know that your scent fills the world."

The last words were spoken with in a reverent hushed murmur that Skye barely caught, as though the prince found them too sacred to say out loud.

It is said, now. I cannot take those words back. Forgive me, father. I have met a girl who is half-human, and her scent fills the world.

For once, Darrik had some space and quiet. Finally, some good time to cool off. Hopefully Mr. Princely could think on that and learn-

So could you Darrik.

What?

Think about what you just said. What have you been doing here for so long? Running off at the mouth with whoever butts heads with you at the moment.

And?

Idiot, you've been making everyone but a few people antagonized at you, more than expected. It's a downward spiral.

Do you think there's anyone in the world except for my own people and most of the Newspaper Club that would do anything but spit on us?

And you spit back. Of course, you'll never belong, to a fair extent that will never change. But things are worse than they have to be.

Ok, what do you suggest then?

Don't snipe so much. If they are on you, don't get into a fight. Be polite, if nothing else.

Very difficult.

But not impossible.

Fine... I'll give it a shot.

I'm glad. Prince of the Cats is going to be the hardest thing, but just limit contact if you can.

Darrik let out a breath, as he faced the inner monologue and realized what was going on. It would be difficult, but maybe the attempt was worth something. He headed off, continuing on his walk.

"Oh, schisse," Skye murmured when he was done speaking. The German profanity wasn't for what he'd said but more for what it meant. Of all the things she'd considered happening to her here, this wasn't one of them. He liked her?

The moment Skye caught her own thought, the moment she realized she'd thought "he" and not "demon" did she realize what had happened. He'd become a person and opened a door she'd never be able to close. The demons weren't the enemy anymore; they were handsome green-eyed boys who held her hands and proclaimed she filled his world.

"Ah, ficken Holle," she said, her eyes still on his. "I, oh, man . . .  this is  . . ."

He was a demon. He was like the thing that killed her mother but he wasn't the one that killed her mother. It was the first time she'd made that distinction about a demon. Skye let go of a little bit of the hate that burned in her. Not all of it, but enough to start a long process of freedom from her rage.

But dating one? Could she really do that? What if she did fall in love with a monster?

Mom did.

Mom fell in love with an angel.

Angels are monsters, too. They're just ones humans like better. Think of Kyohei's sisters. Your father, the way he's treated you. Delilah's shown you more consideration and concern than he has.

"Alright," Skye said softly, looking up at him. She looked terrified as she said, "There's some rules to this, to us. You never leave me pining after you, waiting for you to finish up some Hengeyokai business and come back to the Human Realm to play house. And we're honest with each other."

You know you're doing this because he's so hot.

How many times did Mom talk about how handsome Dad was? Admit it, you're attracted to him.

I am. Gods help me, I am.

"Is that gonna work, Kurosoroshiimuro? Think carefully because if this gets bad, then that heavy feeling in your chest will be a hundred times worse. I used to hear my mom crying at night, when she thought I was asleep. She cried a lot, and it was because of the man she loved. That feeling in your chest was only a shadow of what true heart break could be."

schisse - shit
ficken Holle - fucking hell

"You would pine for me?" he asked very soberly, eyes widening in surprise at the notion. Inwardly, he felt exultant that she had agreed to 'date' him. Or was he dating her? Who exactly did the courting in these arrangements? "You would cry if I was not there?" He looked as though that bothered him, a flicker of discomfort on his perfect features at the thought.

"If I loved you, really loved you, then sure." Skye replied, then explained a little. "It's not so bad if you were away for a little time, but when you're gone for months with no warning because other things are 'more important', when you don't seem to care... That hurts. There's no blood, but it's a wound all the same." She watched that sink in, watched the shift and shimmer of his eyes as they considered that, then focused on her.

"If my duty called me home, and we were together, I would wish to take you with me." Kuromaru declared firmly, the shimmer of his eyes becoming heated as he continued. "If I experienced love, that rare and precious fable, then I would not leave it laying carelessly on the ground like a child's toy." He let go of her hands, reaching up with his left hand and brushed her cheek with his fingertips, even as his right hand pressed over his heart. "I am a yokai, and I do not feel as humans feel. I do not know if my way of loving is the same as yours. But I swear to you, upon my name, that you will be valued and held in my thoughts, that I will cherish your feelings, and I will never lie to you." The words were spoken with a solemn, dignified weight to them as Kurosoroshiimaru looked into the eyes of the girl who filled his world.

"Does that please you?"

"Uh, yeah," Skye said, feeling every inch the ignorant commoner, especially when her words were compared to his. What the fick was she getting herself into here? He was an animal-demon-lordling of some kind, and she was a half-human, half-angel bastard. He'd admitted that he might not love her as she wanted to be loved.

But she'd said she'd date him, and she wanted to try. Though this seemed a sudden change, for the last three weeks, the things she'd seen in the school - Delilah and Kyohei's treatment of each other, Kyra's fierce concern and even Aria's quiet overtures of peace. All of these things had wormed at her and shown her that the demons acted like people. And here was a boy, who was cute and liked her, who said she filled his world, and he wanted to cherish her. It was heady stuff to the lonely, hurt girl.

"Ok, my turn." She hesitated, then pressed her hand to her heart, mirroring him. Her left rose to his cheek in the same way as she said, "I promise I'll be true to my feelings about you. I will never lie to you."

She pressed her cheek against his fingers tips for a moment before she said, "My father is a tenchi, and my mother a human demon-hunter. I've been trained to hunt yokai as well and I have been chosen by Tsukuyomi to be his priestess." She smiled, but it was sad. "I think the first movie we watch is Romeo and Juliet."

It was a minor miracle, but none of the other students within the hall heard what was said, or paid any attention, lost in their own worlds, dreams, and duties.

Skye's gaffe was not unheard though. Something smiled, and she felt a chill run the length of her spine. The feeling was fleeting and quickly became ephemeral, as if only a faint memory, Then it was gone.

Information was power, and today great power had been obtained, its usefulness untold.

-----------------------

Elsewhere on Campus, Kyohei had made his way To the gymnasium. He'd been worked up over phantoms, the encounter with his sisters having shaken him hard.

He found refuge in the gym, specificly in the area that was set up seemingly by a madman. It was a nearly infinite series of balance beams, swinging poles, robes, nets, and simulated rock-face, as though it were made to test ones' physique to the limits. He could even see a flier having fun in here, seeing if they could weave between the bars and such, as they seemed to move without warning.

He was always alone in here, and practiced clad only in shorts, unhampered by anything beyond his doubts. He moved through the bars as if born to do so, never once slipping or losing balance, his grip never failing him. He pushed harder, never aware that he too was being watched.

Kuromaru's froze at Skye's confession, his eyes widening in shock and his composure softening so much so that he seemed, in that moment, to be as young as he truly was. (( Here's what THAT would look like... ))

She is half-tenchi? And a yokai-hunter chosen by the gods? But... But she cannot be. She is at Monster Academy. Her scent fills my world. She cannot be a foe. Will she try to slay me, someday? Will she be ordered to by her Celestial father? Will I have to defy the Celestial and the Monster realms to be with her? He felt that hard, heavy weight in his chest again, this time seeming so heavy that it stole his breath. He closed his eyes and bowed his head for a moment. He concentrated on the feel of Skye's touch on his cheek, of her cheek against his fingers, breathed in her scent, and decided. Yes. I think I may have to. Father... If this should displease you when you learn of it, then know that it is due to the strength you taught me that I have the will to defy you. When he opened his eyes and straightened up, his composure was restored and he was again the young daiyokai, the prince of his people.

"This movie, the Romeo and Juliet: it is a tragic tale of forbidden love?" he asked Skye with narrowed eyes and a curious tilt of one ear. At her confirmation, he nodded calmly and took her hand once more. "As though there would be other kinds. Then I agree we should see it together. It may prove instructive, if only for examples of what not to do in such situations." Interpreting Skye's wide-eyed expression as surprise at how accepting he was of her heritage, he merely smiled very slightly as he began to lead her off.

"I am curious about some things." he started to ask in his usual composed fashion, glancing sideways to see Skye's deep blue gaze still on him. He steered them around a knot of students, ignoring the stares from a couple of hengeyokai in the group and the faint whispers that carried to his ears as they recognised him and hurried off. "Do you have wings? May I see them? Are you supposed to keep your nature secret here?"

"Not as much secret as quiet," Skye said softly. "A number of students know already, namely the staff and the Newspaper Club, but I haven't exactly been forthcoming to the others." If she'd had friends, that might have been different. "I mean, even my roommate's not seen me in my full form.

"Which does have wings," Skye added. His ear twitched slightly but his eyes were on her, full of emerald curiosity. "And I'll show you, but not here. Later."

A sign over the door announced that they were at the room used by the Newspaper Club. "Here's our room," Skye said, pointing it out, "and Ms. . . . Nekomone's room is there." Her effort to remember the teacher's name prompted Kurosoroshiimuro to raise an eyebrow, or so Skye assumed. She shrugged a bit sheepishly and said, "I've not been a very good student. I joined the club because they take field trips home and . . . I really don't want to be here." She smelled sad for a moment before she quashed it and said, "Anyway, if Ms. Nekomone isn't in here, she'll in the teacher's office, but she's usually in her homeroom or in the club room at this time. Let's go get you signed up."

"Yes?" Ms Nekomone's upbeat manner as she answered the knock on the club room door made even the single word sound like she was afire with anticipation and curiousity. Which wasn't far from the truth: the teacher had smelled her little brother outside and was happy that he'd come to sign up (she presumed), but she was also curious, because the scent with him was female, and it wasn't Delilah, or one of the other succubi, or even a hengeyokai girl with more courage than common sense. It was Skye. Perhaps they had happened to cross paths and the Celestial-born girl was being helpful... To the yokai prince... Who wasn't exactly Mr Diplomacy... Hells, what WAS the girl doing out there? With a sinking feeling, Shizuka assumed she'd need to lecture Kuro on how he couldn't just-

The door opened and Kurosoroshiimaru entered, hand in hand with Skye. He hadn't completely disguised his hengeyokai nature: his ears, eyes and caste markings were visible. Probably because he felt it demeaned him to look human. She'd have to talk to him about that...

-order other students to-

They came over to her desk, her brother's composed features as unreadable as ever, but his scent was... happy/nervous.

-just do his biddingWHAT THE HELLS IS GOING ON?!?!

Shizuka Nekomone froze and stared at the couple, then looked out of the window just to make sure the Angel of Judgement wasn't outside about to play 'Ragtime Blues' on his trumpet. Then she dragged her gaze back to her haughty, aristocratic little brother and blinked. He gazed back at her levelly, giving nothing away.

"Kuro!" she exclaimed out of a need to say something, anything to break the silence. "I mean, Kurosoroshiimaru. You're here to...?"

"Sign up for the-"

"To sign up for the Newspaper Club! Of course!" Ms Nekomone laughed, a little manically, as she finished his sentence. "Yes. Great. Wonderful. And Skye is here to..."

"Ms Skye graciously agreed to show me the way here, and she will be tutoring me in human ways." Kuromaru flashed a smile - A SMILE - at Skye, then looked at his sister again, his gaze calm. "She has also consented to date me, in human fashion."

Ms Nekomone's jaw dropped and stayed down for a long, long time. (( Looks kinda like this )) The shock was obvious, very obvious in fact, since with faint *popping* sounds, the hengeyokai teacher's ears and tail sprang into view.

"Ms Nekomone?" Kuromaru stepped forward, his brow knitting in a slight frown as he waved a hand in front of her eyes. He glanced at Skye, looking a little worried, then back at Shizuka. "Sister!" he said a little more forcefully, leaning close. Ms Nekomone jumped in her seat and screamed, causing Kuromaru to likewise jump backwards next to Skye, letting out an involuntary catlike hiss.

"AHHHHHHH-ahaa-hahaha!" She managed to turn the scream into a loud laugh, tailing off with an "Ahem. Sorry. Oh my. I'm sorry, both of you. I was just... surprised. Yes. Um... Well, that's wonderful." she said brightly, patting her ears and concentrating to resume her human shape. "Really. I'm pleased, Kuromaru, that you're entering into the spirit of learning new things. And Skye, well, this is progress." She beamed, though there was a faintly worried look in her eyes warring with the pleased approval. "Kurosoroshiimaru is my not-so-little brother, you know. But here I'm his teacher first, of course. If either of you need to... uh... talk about things..." She looked hesitant.

"I will be certain to seek your wisdom, Nekomone-sensei." Kuromaru said with a short bow. "You have ever been a teacher to me. But we are here now for me to go about joining this Newspaper Club. How is this done?"

A soft sound behind the two yokai and the half-angel, a sound far too soft for any human ear to have picked up, alerted the group that they were no longer alone in their awkward moment. Standing just inside of the doorway of the classroom were three new monsters of the Academy: a male and female pair both obviously siblings and so beautiful that they could only be vampires, and another young woman that was just as obviously unrelated by blood or species. She was dark-haired and stood deferentially a half-step behind the pair; and while she was beautiful, it was the lesser beauty that even rare humans possessed, not the preternatural grace of the hengaiyokai or vampires.

The young man let a moment pass for the others to see the three of them, and then asked in politely bored manner, "This is the Newspaper Club room, yes? My sister and I are to join the club for our duration at the Academy." He glanced between the faculty member and the other two students. "Unless, of course, we should return at another time?"

Skye was slowly becoming aware that she was being stared at continually as they walked the halls together. Or maybe people were staring at them. She wasn't sure, because when she looked at them, eyes darted away from her. If Karosoroshiimuro felt their eyes, he did not deign to notice and Skye tried to be the same way; aloof and above it all. If she acknowledged it, she was going to get nervous and look like an idiot.

She actually relaxed when they entered the club room, feeling safe from the stares with the door closed. However, another unpleasant surprise awaited her. She was more or less fine through Ms. Nekomone's shock; she had a bad feeling that she was going to have to get used to people staring at her because of her boyfriend.

Your demon boyfriend.

Oh, my god - what are you doing?!

Skye was wondering if this really was such a good idea; she liked Kurosoroshiimaru and he was very handsome. He was a prince. He liked her in return. But he was yokai.

And then Kurosoroshiimaru called Ms. Nekomone "sister". When Nekomone shrieked in fright, Skye very nearly joined her, especially when her boyfriend hissed. "I'm- you're- he's . . ." Skye stammered. "Sister?!"

"Well, no - you're not," Nekomone said that hard laugh still showing worry. "Kuro- soroshiimaru is."

A soft sound behind the two yokai and the half-angel, a sound far too soft for any human ear to have picked up, alerted the group that they were no longer alone in their awkward moment. Standing just inside of the doorway of the classroom were three new monsters of the Academy: a male and female pair both obviously siblings and so beautiful that they could only be vampires, and another young woman that was just as obviously unrelated by blood or species. She was dark-haired and stood deferentially a half-step behind the pair; and while she was beautiful, it was the lesser beauty that even rare humans possessed, not the preternatural grace of the hengaiyokai or vampires.

The young man let a moment pass for the others to see the three of them, and then asked in politely bored manner, "This is the Newspaper Club room, yes? My sister and I are to join the club for our duration at the Academy." He glanced between the faculty member and the other two students. "Unless, of course, we should return at another time?"

"Actually," Ms. Nekomone said quickly, smiling widely, "we're about to sign Kurosoroshiimaru up. Skye's already a member."

"Hi," Skye said, waving with her free hand.

"And you are?" the teacher asked, drawing a notebook out of her drawer. She flipped it open and started to write as the two spoke.

"Lord Kozue of House Drogothi," the boy said, his eyes politely distant.

"Lady Korakura of the same," the girl said, smiling with just as much remote graciousness.

Nekomone looked thoughtful for a moment. "Drogothi . . .  oh, yes, one of the vampire houses." Skye's hand tightened around Kuromaru's fingers; clearly, she was uneasy around vampires. But her expression remained pleasant. "And you?" Nekomone said to the girl standing behind them. "Are you wanting to join too?"

"Who? Rica? That's just my pet," Kozue said, frowning a little.

Skye twitched and this time, her knuckles went white as her fingers bore down on Kuromaru's. The Hengeyokai prince didn't react, but it was his first clue that Skye was a lot stronger than she appeared to be. "Pet?" Skye said, her voice sharp and her smile gone. "Looks a lot more like a person to me."

"If you wish to put her name down, go ahead," Kozue spoke as if Skye had said nothing. "She is registered as a student, and since we are joining the club, she will be here as well."

"Her name is Rica?" Nekomone asked, her voice soft. She didn't sound entirely happy, however.

"It's . . ." The vampire turned to the silent person. "What is your full name again?"

"Kuzgunlar Tanriçasi, master," the woman responded quietly; the twins gave her surprised looks.

"That's a longer name than you've given before, Rica." Lord Kozue remonstrated mildly.

The woman bowed her head, "Master, you have only ever asked what I am called before, not my full name." Her voice and posture were utterly submissive, but some spark of personality still remained hidden in the words.

Kozue shrugged, clearly uninterested in pursuing the matter further. "Kuzgunlar Tanriçasi, then, Ms. Nekomone, but she will be referred to as Rica."

Nekomone wrote down the three names, doing her best not to let her emotions show. Each of the various monster cultures had their own rules and allowance; the Academy by necessity had to respect those customs to at least a certain extent. While Nekomone wrote, Rica watched, then spoke quietly to her master.

"My Lord, shall I stay to collect any other information and finish the signing up? I know you dislike to be bored with such details, and your rooms await your approvals." She waited meekly, eyes down and hands clasped together in front of her.

Lord Kozue smiled at her and patted her on the head, much as one would a pet cat or small child. "You know me so well now, Rica. Bring anything important back to my room when you are done here and you may have the afternoon to yourself. Be back by sundown."

With that, the twins swept out of the room without so much as a by-your-leave from Ms. Nekomone or acknowledgement to the two other students they had departed from. 'Rica' bowed low to those left in the room, "Your pardon for their manners, my lord and ladies. They are unused to the ways of the Academy and do not know the proper protocols. I am to be called Rica. You are Skye? Kurosoroshiimaru? Ms. Nekomone?"

She turned and bowed to each one of them as she repeated the names back. Her entire manner had shed its meek and submissive stance, becoming still reserved but more friendly. "Are there honorifics by which you wished to be addressed?"

Shizuka made a point of not truly hating any sort of monster, Yokai or Celestial, and her affection for humanity was part of the reason she had this job. If ever she had to choose a particular type that she most strongly disliked, it would be the Vampires though. Her experiences had not been pleasant, and it was only with extreme self-control she didn't normally evidence that she didn't openly react to how the Vampires treated Rica.

The suprise of Kuro and Skye still fresh in her mind, and just what that could mean, she nodded to Rica. "Ms. Nekomone is just fine Rica." She bowed her head slightly, probably more respect than the young yokai had been shown in some time. "I can get one of the students who's been her awhile to show you around if you like Rica, after you report to your masters."

The others didn't hear it, but Kuromaru could easily. Shizuka had always treated servants above their station. Everyone was a person to her. Their father took that as a sign of weakness, and another black mark against her.

"I see the vampire considers itself as bound to customs of courtesy as ever. Evidently House Drogothi is growing slow-ripening fruit this generation." the tall daiyokai had to say of the two vampires. Shizuka (and Skye, who was starting to develop a sense for such things) could tell that he didn't think terribly highly of what he'd seen of Kozue or his sister. He studied the girl, Rica. She was courteous and humble, which was to be expected from a vampire's servant - the longer-lived ones anyway. A glint of gold at her neck made his eyes narrow.

"I also see that the Lord and Lady of House Drogothi have neatly sidestepped the ban on servants by having living 'property' accompany them here." he noted with a faintly disdainful gleam in his eye. "How typically... vampiric." Though slavery did exist in the Beast Court, it was usually considered a punishment for the enslaved person rather than because someone wanted to own them. Kuromaru considered the other yokai courts infatuation with slavery as a sign of dominance and power to be a vulgar vice at best. He examined the girl - too bad, she wasn't even part-hengeyokai. If she had been, he could have sought quarrel with Kozue and invoked formal combat for her freedom, as was his right as a daiyokai. A pity - He would have relished testing his strength against a vampire noble. He said nothing further, and nothing directly to Rica, but simply nodded slightly in greeting, acknowledging her.

Skye was not really that diplomatic, and her anger at the two vampires showed up clearly in her expression. She watched them with heated blue eyes, attempting to light the siblings on fire with her stare. When that didn't work, she touched her side - but she couldn't do that. Her father had been explicit and graphic in describing what would happen to her if she started to attack her peers at the school. "You'll probably see some terrible things. But you mustn't attack them. Your time for vengeance will come later."

"I also see that the Lord and Lady of House Drogothi have neatly sidestepped the ban on servants by having living 'property' accompany them here." he noted with a faintly disdainful gleam in his eye. "How typically... vampiric."

"Ficken barbaric," Skye snarled, agitated. She looked up at Kuromaru, her expression frustrated as she asked, "Is there nothing we can do about this?!"

"Not directly." Though she'd asked her newly-found boyfriend, it was her teacher that answered. Nekomone was frowning a little as she said, "The school doesn't allow someone to bring servants, but slaves aren't considered servants. They are . . . something else. Property."

Skye's shoulders sagged. "I hear the demons talk about how savage and barbaric humans are, but even we don't have slaves. Why?! Why does it have to be like that!" Tears of helpless frustration rose in her eyes, tears which Skye tried to dismiss with a quick swipe of her hands. "I need to . . . use the water closet. I'm sorry! I'llberightback!" She pulled her hand free from Kurosoroshiimaru's and bolted for the door, leaving the three yokai behind.

Rica blinked at the outburst, stepping back from Skye in surprise. In her decade of servitude not one other person in the Drogothi house or any of the other places her master had taken her to had expressed other than to be impressed that Lord Kozue had acquired a swan maiden, however much a strange one, and then to be equally impressed that it had been Lady Kozakura that had captured her and presented her to Lord Kozue as a gift. She honestly had no idea how to react. She watched the young woman flee out of the room with troubled eyes.

She reached up and touched the collar on her neck, "There is nothing to be done for me unless my master releases me or he dies before passing me to another. It is simply how it is. I was...careless." The last was said almost too softly for even hengaiyokai ears.

"Is the mistress alright?" she asked two still in the room with her. "Have I offended in some way?"

Kuromaru stared after Skye in mild amazement as she ran from the room, feeling an odd heavy sense of discomfort at her obvious distress and anger at that which had caused it. He made as though to follow her, but his sister cleared her throat and, when he looked at her, shook her head. "She'll be back, Kuromaru. She needs a little time to compose herself."

"I see." He did, after a fashion. Certainly the prince of beasts would not want others to see him if he were so upset. He looked at Rica as she spoke and, surprising his sister somewhat, deigned to answer.

"I believe it is your status as a slave which Skye finds to be a source of distress, rather than your person." He told the lovely swan maiden in a cool tone. "And I understand it would upset her further for you to call her 'mistress', seeing as she holds indentured servitude in such low esteem." He held Rica's gaze for a long moment. "I would take it... kindly if you would call Skye by her name. It would make her happy, I think."

"In further service of that end..." he went on in a calmly conversational tone "It would please me if you called me by name also. Kurosoroshiimaru will suffice: no other honorifics are necessary. We are, after all, to associate in this Newspaper Club."

Shizuka smiled. Kuromaru was showing remarkable adaptability here, a number of years ago she doubted he'd have spoken to Rica, let alone allowed her any address hinting of familiarity. Perhaps Skye would prove a true benefit to him.

She looked at them both. She passed forward a set of papers for each, as well as two more for the vampires. "Please sign your names here, and that makes it official."

She looked to Rica. "You can have them sign it and return it to me tomorrow at our meeting here after classes. Inform them of the meeting please, and that I'd like to see them here."

Skye darted down the hallway and into the bathroom, head down so that no one would know she was crying. She left a trail of anger and sorrow all the way down the hall, clear to anyone with such sensitivities. The door slammed behind her with a loud wham that was almost satisfying.

In the stall, she sat down on the lid and pulled out her sword. With no danger around, it remained an ordinary curve of stone, cold and solid in her hands. Skye ran her hands over the crescent moon, noting again that it looked like a large, white banana more than a powerful weapon. But she’d seen it unleashed; she’d held it in battle and felt its divine might tingle through her skin. She’d used it to kill yokai.

Yokai like the slave who had driven her to tears.

Yokai like her boyfriend.

What had happened to her? Skye wept and rubbed at her tears as her brain continued its relentless thoughts. Why did she care how the yokai treated one another? Why did it bother her to see that girl as a slave? Why is she a she instead of an it now? She wanted to blame Kurosoroshiimaru, but she couldn’t. It wasn’t his fault; he’d been the last straw, him and his warm arms and green eyes. But the first cracks in her feelings toward the yokai had been the other students on the Newspaper Club. They were so normal.

No, that wasn’t true either. They weren’t the start. The start had been when her father had told her she wasn’t human. Skye had known what she was until then – a human, one who would someday protect other humans from demons. She’d been proud to be just human. Alaric had ripped it all away from her then: yokai or tenshi, she still wasn’t what she wanted to be – just human.

The door banged open and Skye choked back the sounds of her pain. It wasn’t hard – the girls who had entered were talking more than loudly enough to cover her. “-here?” The question, whatever it was about, was ended with an excited squeal.

“It’s true! Amica saw him, he was talking to Ms. Nekomone.” This voice was haughtily superior, in a way that Skye instinctively disliked (even as she realized it sounded a lot like Kuromaru’s way of talking).

“Was that before or after he was holding hands with that girl?” a softer voice queried.

“I don’t believe it,” the first girl said, proving that her voice was always at a high squeak. “There’s no way our prince would take up with… whatever she is.”

“I’ve heard she’s a succubus,” the softer voice replied, her voice thick with the malicious tones of a gossip.

“All I know is that’s she’s not Hengeyokai, and that means she’s not worthy of him,” the second voice said, her voice still ringing with those haughty tones.

“He’s just playing around,” Soft said, her words getting messed up by something. Skye peered out through the crack around the door and saw a slender, graceful girl with brown hair applying lipstick. “He’ll get tired of playing with this new toy. I’m all for it, if it means he’ll then play with me.”

“Please, Sofia, the only thing he’d do to you is eat you!” Squeaky voice said. “I mean, I have a chance with him. I’m a cat, he’s a cat… Meow! I bet I could make him yowl!”

Siamese cat, like a panther will dig that!” Haughty said snottily.

“This is totally like that human song, Girlfriend!” Gossipy said. “Hey, hey, you, you, I don’t like your girlfriend! I think you need a new one! Hey, hey, I want to be your girlfriend! What? I pay attention in music class!”

I’m sitting in a bathroom, listening to three girls talk about my boyfriend. The second that thought crystallized, Skye stood, tucked her sword back under her clothing and stepped out of the stall. She walked to the sink and washed her face as the girls fell silent. Skye dried off as they watched, waiting for her to leave. They didn’t seem to have recognized her as ‘that blonde’. That’ll just make it more fun.

When she felt presentable, she turned to them. “I’m going to say this once. I don’t appreciate overhearing you guys talking schisse about my relationship. If you think you can take Kurosoroshiimaru from me, go for it. I’ll enjoy watching you make fools of yourselves. And unless you’re standing in front of us, actually trying to win him, I don’t want to hear you talking big. Put up or shut up.”

“You?!” Squeaky squeaked. She was a slim girl with tanned skin, black hair and eyes as blue as Skye’s. “But you’re that bitchy freak!”

“Can I quote you on that?” Skye asked coldly.

“Jaqi!” Sofia whispered a warning, revealing that she was the demure-looking brunette with large brown eyes. “You can’t call her that! What if she tells Prince Kurosoroshiimaru!”

Jaqi paled immediately, her tan fading to old ivory. “I’m sorry!” she squeaked, dropping into a bow to Skye. “I’m very, very sorry! Please, don’t tell him!” She peered up at Skye, still doubled over, and there were tears in her eyes. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean it!”

The remaining girl, the one with the snotty voice, was voluptuous with orange hair. The color had odd shadows to it, and her eyes were yellow. Skye wasn’t sure what she was, but she was definitely a predator, for she turned on Jaqi immediately. “You should tell him. She’d never have a chance to win him, then.” She stepped forward as Jaqi and Sofia gaped at her. Smiling at Skye, she bowed and said, “I’m Natsumi. What’s your name?”

“Skye,” the half-angel said, staring suspiciously at the girl. Still, Skye gave her a bow in return; it was only polite and these seemed to all be Kuromaru’s people.

“Skye, please!” Jaqi fell to her knees and caught Skye’s hand. “Please don’t tell him!”

“Why, so you have a chance with him still?” Skye asked, her lip curling.

“No, because if he punishes me, I’m afraid he’ll be so enraged he’ll kill me!” With that, the girl started to sob, rubbing her face against Skye’s hand and burbling incoherently.

“Wait? No, he… I won’t say anything,” Skye said quickly, feeling a little uneasy. No, he wouldn’t do that; the girl was exaggerating in fear.

“Thank you!” Jaqi cried but didn’t cease rubbing her face against Skye’s hand.

“As merciful as you are beautiful,” Natsumi replied, smiling a little. Skye wasn’t sure that she meant it as a compliment, but she let it go. She was a little tired of arguing with them. “Say, Sofia is having a party in the woods Friday.” The doe-eyed girl quickly nodded as Natsumi continued, “You should come.”

“And be sure to bring my boyfriend?” Skye asked wryly.

Natsumi shrugged. “He’s welcome of course. I just wanted to be sure you knew you were.”

“Thank you,” Skye said, nodding. “Appreciate that.” She paused, realizing that this was the longest conversation she’d had with anyone outside the Newspaper Club. “I’ll see you guys around.” Turning, she left the room, knowing that they were going to be talking about her as soon as she left – and thankful she wouldn’t be there to hear it.

Eventually, Darrik found his orbiting path taking him inside, and then he considered that PE had been one of his weaker classes for a bit. Of course, the monsters that were more physically powerful enjoyed the rare opportunities to overpower him within limits of the instructors.

Not that he could do much about those things, but he could spruce up his exercise a little more. So as he went through, he noticed Kyohei at a far end in the 'crazy man's section' working hard. "You look like you're releasing frustrations." He called out. "Which looks like a good way. I need a new venting method, myself."

Darrik clambered up onto a balance beam, but wobbled soon as he tried to mantain his balance, arms pinwheeling like a clown. After a long tense minute, he managed to move forward with a modicum of balance. "Well, not like this is a usual activity."

Kyohei looked at Darrik. "I remember something like this at home but tougher, and there were weapons attached."

He smiled as he held himself upright on one hand above one of the swinging bars before swinging under and letting momentum carry him to the next higher bar.

"This place might be good for you as well, it forces you to adapt and develop something beyond your magic."

He gives Darrik a sly smile. "Why do you look so down? Things not going well with Jezebel?"

Archived