Mutants & Masterminds: Struggles of Iannin - SOI Chat

Forge

Originally Posted By: Joani
I probably am missing your point but regarding magic in general I'd rather have one Skill "Magic" and then let the GM decide if I can roll on it depending on my PCs background or not. Maybe the DC will be higher for a Druid with expertise Magic who wants to know about "Law" magic but he should know magic in general and not only "Druid" magic.

Simplify, not diversify is my reasoning. Magic can be anything, why cut it into pieces?

This answers my questions.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally Posted By: Joani
Basic Ankassim Template
Powers
Dragon's Breath: Cone Area Blast 4 (DC 19; Cone Area: 60 feet cone; Unreliable (5 uses), Diminished Range)

Joani, did you mean to use Diminished Range? Or Reduced Range?

As you have it now with Diminished range the Cone itself still has a range of up to 200 ft.

Thanks Asa - that looks closer to what I was looking for.

@Rest - I'm taking a break till monday and then will decide if I bow out or keep investing time in SOI. Currently I don't feel much like continuing this endeavor.

Joani,

Originally Posted By: Chaos Fifth Epoch

As the Horde beached to the north of the Blasted Lands, the Balor too, felt the call to lend aid, but the move was foolish and they were followed in retreat to their caves, eradicated from the Blasted Lands.

yeah, Asa pointed that out to me in a PM.

I guess that takes me out of the Kingdom phase in general. I've got little left to work with and what I wanted to do has been made impossible by Chaos.

I will remove my post and you can move on. I don't know what else to do. Maybe I flesh out the Temples and the Ankassim a little more or I let it be and bow out.

Since this has the highest Priority on my list I post here first.

I'd like to "stay" as a player in SOI once the whole World Building is over.

The World Building itself, while it is an awesome idea in general, hasn't turned out in a way I find enjoyable and it even caused more problems in being creative about it than the opposite. I suppose I'm just too used to create everything on my own (which then makes more sense to me in general).

Since I don't see much improvement on my behalf to come up with stuff that would integrate well with the setup of SOI I'd rather stay out of this process and hope to still have an opt-in once the game actually starts. I'd understand if you wouldn't let me, though.

Thanks for inviting me in the first place!

What would everyone think about more or less skipping this phase and going to the game?

We wouldn't completely skip it, but you could write the history of your section of the world as you see fit as a fiction, and collaborate with others to tie in their section at your leisure.

I suggest this in part because with Joani bowing out, only four of us will make it difficult to have rubbing borders and any kind of instigated conflict that isn't under my direct control.

And secondly, because I'm on day 7 of 14(only 14 I hope) days in a row at work and I'm tired.

The other option, (which I kinda favor) is that we don't worry about the Kingdom/history phase at all and the PCs discover some/most of it in game as each adventure proceeds (kinda like the Elder Scrolls games). It will be assumed that the PCs have a basic understanding of what happened in the recent past, but it will be explained in game as it comes up.

My adventure will probably not go outside the area of the game I called 'dibs' on, so would not interfere with any history you guys might want for your section, and could then develop it when you run something (or you can still do fics, that is always an option.)

I hope that rambling mess makes a modicum of sense.

I don't mind skimming over the history part - and I think it would be neat discovering the history in game as it comes up. However, maybe the other players could have the chance or option to add a detail or two to the other sections - not necessarily explained - to indicate some historical events. Or people could ask for an idea or detail from others to add to their sections for the same reasons.

People seem pretty stressed right now, in a general sort of way, and specifically many of us.

That said I'm willing to forgo the kingdom phase outright if that is what people want, but if you'll let me can I propose a compromise?

Why not do both? If Forge is willing to move forward and begin chargen and GMing a game from what we have then fine, let's do so, but what is to stop us in the meantime from continuing with the kingdom phase?

Otherwise I'd suggest that we lay down the "chaos turn" following the first actions we put forth (I hate wasting effort) and then just start the game where it is +500-1000 years.

Quote:
but what is to stop us in the meantime from continuing with the kingdom phase?

I have absolutely no desire whatsoever to do it. Either to run it or to write for it.

Also, with starting the game, basically nothing drastic can happen in the kingdom phase for my area because of the potential for continuity issues.

Alright then ...

I'm thinking about a thief/cat-burglar type character, possibly with some minor magical ability focused on stealth and movement. Not sure what race yet, possibly Thayim.

Do you have a starting city/location in mind? Anything we should take into account during chargen?

PL 6 with 60 PP??

Yes, I believe it was PL 6 with 60pp, that gave the needed room for more specialized 'types' if I remember right.

The adventure will take place (according to plan, heh...when does that happen?) in the A'fen kingdom. I'm willing to do some prologuish stuff to get people into the skin of their characters and to bring them to the area one way or another.

The only thing I would prefer is that you don't make 'mulish' characters. Don't make them reluctant to be an adventurer that I have to constantly dangle a carrot or beat with a stick to get to do anything.

That being said, I don't mind if you want to be reluctant at start and go through something in your prologue to spur you on or what not, just let me know and we can work it out.

My idea for a character is an New Fen; Sen'Ten wizard. Since I haven't had the time to get Pattern magic/Alchemy written out, feel free to ask me questions if you want to have a tattoo or have some kind of talent or knowledge of it and I'll try to give an overview. Pretty much anyone can have one or two tattoos (they are available from Alchemists) but they are rudimentary level and wouldn't be anything super fancy (if that makes sense).

I figured I would bring this up before I started working on my character since I'll need to know which skill to use.

Obviously the skills are pretty broad, which works well for a super game were skill tends to be an all or nothing affair. As a Thief my character will need to be able to pick locks and disable traps.

Now, I could take ranks in Technology to do this, he might even be very mechanically inclined (think Mat Cauthon from the Wheel of Time). Alternately I can take ranks of Expertise (Thievery) with the understanding that that allows him to pick locks and disarm traps (as well as other knowledge and tricks of the trade), but does not grant the wider base of technical ability that the Technology skill would indicate.

Do you have a preference Forge?

Either way would work for me. It would just depend on how you view your character and his/her skill base. If you want him to have a broader understanding of the greater mechanical workings, then use Tech. If it is more stuff he has picked up in his line of work, and only really knows about traps and/or picking locks specifically, then I would go with Expertise.

I much prefer flavor over numbers and as long as you have sound reasoning and explain it in your background, I'll work with whatever you got.

I have come down to two possible concepts I'd like to play which would losely fill the role of Tank/fighter of the group.

Both are appealing to me and I'm fine going either way, the second option needs player feedback though, so that will only be possible if I get someone to fill a specific role - I'll explain in a few.

First option:

Ankassim Battlepriest - He would be a strong defender of the 4 Temples of the Wind, able to deal damage but also to some extent heal the wounded. This concept is relatively straightforward and can easily adapt to the groups needs.

Second option:

Balor Spellsword - now this concept requires actually another player playing the sibling (I'm open to play either male or female). The Spellsword would be a more offensively orientated fighter/Tank who uses some magic to enhance his combat prowess.

That's roughly the two concepts I would like to play - I am really not biased towards any. Option 2 would only be possible if another player would chose to play the sibling, which I am not expecting from anyone. If no one fancies that idea, then I go with the Ankassim Battlepriest.

Currently, I'm thinking of a young Zray'Katha warrior woman (not necessarily a 'tank' though) from the heart of the Blasted Lands. She lost a challenge for a mate, so is now going out into the world, to explore, and maybe find a mate among another compatible race. She's a bit of a bumpkin though - the Zray'Katha may have come from the Blasted Lands, but now, it's a bit of a backwoods kinda place. She's never even seen a body of water like the Great River before leaving, or even a horse for that matter.

Other idea is maybe a Scarlet Troupe wandering bard, probably Thayim.

Also, as a reminder, unless someone has some kind of neurotic issue with it, we're gonna post our char profiles with stats included. That way whoever is running the game at the moment has access.

I would prefer if they all followed the same format, whatever that may be.

So this would be my first draft at creating an Ankassim Battle Priest. Feedback welcomed. smile

---------------------------

Tarmon Kyrell - PL 6

Strength 4, Stamina 4, Agility 1, Dexterity 1, Fighting 3, Intellect 0, Awareness 0, Presence 3

Advantages

All-out Attack, Benefit, Status: Battle Priest of the Four Winds, Diehard, Equipment 2, Great Endurance, Power Attack

Skills

Acrobatics 2 (+3), Athletics 2 (+6), Close Combat: Warhammer 3 (+6), Expertise: Temple of the four Winds 2 (+2), Intimidation 2 (+5), Persuasion 2 (+5), Ranged Combat: Ankassar's Judgement: Blast 8 3 (+4)

Powers

Dragon Wings: Flight 4 (Speed: 30 miles/hour, 500 feet/round; Innate; Wings, Activation 2: standard action)

Dragon's Breath: Cone Area Damage 4 (fire, DC 19; Cone Area: 60 feet cone; Unreliable (5 uses))

Healing Winds of Ankassar: Healing 6 (divine; Persistent; Limited: Must be able to pray using speech, Unreliable (roll))

. . Ankassar's Judgement: Blast 8 (Alternate; divine, DC 23; Limited: Must be able to pray using Speech, Unreliable (roll))

Equipment

Chain-mail, Warhammer

Offense

Initiative +1

Ankassar's Judgement: Blast 8, +4 (DC 23)

Dragon's Breath: Cone Area Damage 4 (DC 19)

Grab, +3 (DC Spec 14)

Throw, +1 (DC 19)

Unarmed, +3 (DC 19)

Warhammer, +6 (DC 21)

Complications

Honor: The Battle Priests of the Four Winds follow a strict code of Conduct similar to the Bushido Code.

Quirk: Ankassim are prone to arrogant behaviour. They consider themselves more worth in the eyes of the Gods, since they have been created in the image of their Patron God Ankassar. While they try to adhere to higher moral and ethical standards their pride often reflects in arrogance.

Languages

Native Language

Defense

Dodge 1, Parry 3, Fortitude 4, Toughness 7, Will 1

Power Points

Abilities 32 + Powers 12 + Advantages 7 + Skills 8 (16 ranks) + Defenses 1 = 60

Validation: Warhammer: Save DC exceeds Power Level limit by 1

Created With Hero Lab® - try it for free at http://www.wolflair.com!

Languages:

There is a 'Common'...calling it Thayin for now.

Each race has there own language, other dialects are fine, also regional slang...accents etc.

You get Thayin and your racial language free. Thayin is the racial for the Thayim, so they only get one free.

Added note: the A'fen and Nay'fen languages are more or less the same. Differences would be the same as British American vs American American for example. Mostly slang and accent. You only have to buy one to understand both.

Given that we are ready to go...where are your characters? What are they doing? Not at any specific time...but in general...are they in S'ur itself? Somewhere else?

I could just fabricate if no one has any preference.

Triss lost her ship a bit ago and just now made it back to S'ur via the outskirts of the Mire...at least according to her writeup, so Tarmon could really be anywhere unless you are following her around...which would be kinda creepy and I'd love to see that played out, heh.

Barring any further particulars, I'll try to get the first post up tomorrow or the next day (finishing up the landscape work I've been doing).

Quote:
For the last Turn, Jadzia has been serving on the merchant galleon, Wulkyn's Wake. It was a bit dull for her taste, the captain was far too cautious and hugged the coast too much, but she otherwise enjoyed herself at any port of call she found herself in, or in her adopted home port of S'Ur, until something better came along.

And then, one day, she stumbled out of the Blooming Rose brothel and found herself staring at her cousin Tora walking down the harbour, who she hadn't seen in six Turns.

Archived