[] 10:10 am: ok

[] 10:10 am: Arkanii

[] 10:11 am: Ordun

[Forge] 10:11 am: ...

[Forge] 10:11 am: arkanii sounds like he carries a banjo and has a straw hat

[] 10:12 am: Arc-an-eye

[] 10:12 am: not Ark-an-ee

[] 10:12 am: however, point taken

[Asarasa] 10:12 am: Hmm, should we name him... Banjo?

[Asarasa] 10:12 am: smile

[Forge] 10:12 am: rofl

[Forge] 10:12 am: votes for Banjo

[] 10:13 am: *dies:

[Forge] 10:13 am: well, we could modify the name enough for it to not be Banjo and it could still be an in joke

[Asarasa] 10:13 am: :biggrin:

[] 10:13 am: I am for Reynor

[Asarasa] 10:14 am: Anjob

[Asarasa] 10:14 am: (another entendre in there too)

[] 10:14 am: Handjob?

[Forge] 10:14 am: Banyo

[Aeonian] 10:14 am: Ban'jho

[] 10:14 am: Mister Miyagi

[Forge] 10:14 am: Naboy

[] 10:15 am: add an "a" ... Baan'jho and I like that one

[Asarasa] 10:15 am: Baan'jho

[Aeonian] 10:15 am: Ding!

[] 10:15 am: agreed

[Forge] 10:15 am: nothing else is apostapheed

[Forge] 10:15 am: doesn't fit

[] 10:15 am: Baanjho then

[Forge] 10:16 am: what about Baaj, or Baan

[Asarasa] 10:16 am: It's why he died, his name was apostrapheed.

[] 10:16 am: hehe

[Aeonian] 10:16 am: Baanjho?

[Asarasa] 10:17 am: It looked pretensious

[] 10:17 am: Baan Jho?

[Asarasa] 10:17 am: pretentious

[Forge] 10:17 am: that is still pronounced Banjo though

[] 10:17 am: Bandore (which is a possible Portugese root word)

[Forge] 10:17 am: its gotta be different enough I dont think of a clown hand puppet every time i see the name

[] 10:18 am: or from the Spanish ... Bandurria

[Forge] 10:18 am: Bandor?

[] 10:18 am: Bandor? yeah

[] 10:18 am: Baandor? laugh

[] 10:19 am: Bhandor? wink

[Lobby]: Aeonian has left at 10:19 am

[Forge] 10:20 am: Bhando?

[Forge] 10:20 am: closer to banjo, but far enough away

[Forge] 10:20 am: Bando

[Forge] 10:20 am: Bardo!

[] 10:20 am: makes me think of Bondo

[] 10:21 am: I like Bandor

[Forge] 10:21 am: dont' suppose Banjo translates to anything else in a different language

[] 10:22 am: hmm, lets find out

[] 10:23 am: Google translate seems to think that Banjo is universal

[] 10:24 am: it is used in German, if you mean the instrument

[] 10:24 am: Albanian - banxho

[] 10:24 am: Azerbanjani - banco

[Asarasa] 10:25 am: Quaress is up.

[Asarasa] 10:25 am: Hope it's okay for now.

[Forge] 10:25 am: anything is fine for now

[] 10:25 am: Croatian - bendžo

[] 10:25 am: I still like Bandor

[Forge] 10:27 am: everyone in here like Bandor?

[Asarasa] 10:27 am: Bandor is fine, though I like Bhandor

[] 10:27 am: I'd be fine with Bhandor

[] 10:28 am: it gets my vote - although I still like Mister Miyagi

[] 10:29 am: only if you change your goddess of like to be named Susan

[Forge] 10:29 am: I like Bhand better

[] 10:29 am: :P

[Asarasa] 10:30 am: Lol

[] 10:30 am: Susan works

[Asarasa] 10:30 am: When I was asking friends of mind what to name the Trickster, they suggested... Susan.

[Asarasa] 10:31 am: And Bob, as well as spelling it backwards, boB.

[] 10:31 am: Bhangil

[] 10:32 am: Ojnab!

[] 10:32 am: Janob

[Forge] 10:33 am: Jonab

[Forge] 10:33 am: Jona?

[] 10:33 am: jabon

[] 10:33 am: joban

[] 10:33 am: najob

[] 10:34 am: nobaj

[] 10:34 am: Voldemort!

[Forge] 10:35 am: Potter

[] 10:35 am: Iannin

[Forge] 10:36 am: feels like we're playing Boggle

[] 10:36 am: lol

[Asarasa] 10:36 am: Yeah, Iannin

[Forge] 10:36 am: Iannin is fine with me, I had that idea last night

[Asarasa] 10:36 am: World ended being named for their fallen one

[] 10:37 am: I was going to suggest Iannin as the Goddess of Life's name but it works as this as well

[] 10:37 am: Elan! Nale! Enla!

[] 10:38 am: You want me to change the Name of the Goddess of Life?

[] 10:38 am: I'm fine with renaming her Iannin

[Asarasa] 10:38 am: No, no, name is fine

[Asarasa] 10:38 am: Magus = Iannin, in tribute

[] 10:38 am: no I like Zhan

[Forge] 10:38 am: Actually, the Magus being Elan is good with me

[Asarasa] 10:38 am: or world is named Iannin in tribute

[] 10:39 am: Ehlaan?

[] 10:39 am: Elaan ...

[] 10:39 am: Eeeva!

[] 10:40 am: Wall-E!

[Forge] 10:41 am: Just Elan is good, don't have to change it. It fits our naming conventions and its amusing

[] 10:42 am: Naming conventions? Name-con 2011?

[] 10:42 am: Works for me

[Asarasa] 10:43 am: I'm good with it

[] 10:43 am: Elan seconded?

[] 10:43 am: thirded ...

[] 10:43 am: aye

[] 10:43 am: Joani?

[] 10:43 am: I've been quiet productive today

[] 10:43 am: I mean, Elan is nice

[] 10:43 am: I Agree

[] 10:43 am: ok barring Carver hating it we'll go with Elan

[] 10:43 am: Aye

[] 10:43 am: Yes

[] 10:43 am: Si

[] 10:43 am: Ja, bitte

[] 10:44 am: por favor

[] 10:44 am: and if Carver hates it we'll make her give us new ideas :P

And this is just for The Magus... there was more...

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And Chosen did reach into the Chaos burying himself in the swirling depths as he strained to pull back. Imposing his Will upon the entropy, he emerged. He shaped the mass, bending it to his whim and then stood back...

I WILL CALL THEE FORUM

...and it was good.

Assuming we got out sh...stuff nailed down. I'll put up the creation thread on Wednesday and take the first turn as an example.

As I will show, fancy isn't necessary and this is a very 'broad stroke' phase, so don't worry about making minute channels or hidden glens, worry about big stuff.

You are also free to work against someone else's turn, but I would recommend against action that would directly cancel someone's turn...

If someone makes a forest and then you come and burn the entire thing down with volcanic eruptions, it'll irk someone. Mind you, if you guys talk stuff like that out, and are okay with it, have at it...just make sure I know.

I think Joani is still working on the Justice god but we shouldn't need that during the map/world building phase I think (at least for the first dozen go 'rounds).

I'm working on something for the calendar but that's not crucial either.

Sounds like we're ready steady go.

The Calendar:

First Cycle: Kaer

Second Cycle: Wulkyn

Third Cycle: Beltok

Fourth Cycle: Zahan-Thaya

Fifth Cycle: Tal & Len

Sixth Cycle: Azath

Seventh Cycle: Konsea

Eighth Cycle: Siponak

Ninth Cycle: Quaress

Tenth Cycle: Ankassar

Decades, centuries, and millenniums follow the same pattern. The common terms for the preceeding are:

Year: Twist

Decade: Grand Cycle

Century: Grand Twist

Millennium: Ring

Thus a common written date might read:

In the Ring of Beltok, in the Grand Twist of Azath, in the Grand Cycle of Konsea, and the Twist of Wulkyn, on the 5th day of the Cycle of Siponak ... formally at any rate.

Translating to: 5th day of the 8th month in the year 3671, or commonly the Fifth of Siponak 3671.

Thoughts?

What is your basis for your naming scheme? I can see cycle and ring..but where does twist come from?

I also would rather have unique names for each period instead of using 'grand'

Edit:

Also the months of dual names...It probably wouldn't be Tal & Len, but just called Talen or Tallen or even Tal-Len. Same with the Life Goddess.

try to not laugh but they come in part from my old Transdimensional TMNT sourcebook for the Palladium TMNT RPG. Plus they just sound cool IMO.

But that is why I was looking for feedback, we can change twist to something else if there's a better suggestion. Likewise I just thought "Grand Cycle" sounded cool.

I figured that the actual month names would not be so literal but I didn't have a ton of time this am so I put up what I could for discussion since this is more of a collaborative method and "I suck with names" laugh

Alright, then how about something like this:

Month - Cycle

Year - How about just keeping year.

Decade - Ring

Century - Age

Millenium - Dawn (perhaps just numbered)

So, lo and beholden unto us in the Age of Tal-Len of the Fifth Dawn. In the Ring of Konsea and the Year of Azath, this, the 7th day of Kaer.

Translated 7th day of first month of year 5576.

Originally Posted By: Ouroboros
Month - Cycle
Year - Year
Decade - Ring
Century - Coil
Millenium - Age

Coil goes with the circular motif of cycle and ring, and Age feels like it needs to be longer than just 100 years.

Add Turn to that and it sounds good to me.

Just a heads up. I'm unable to see the map here at work (I didn't even know that your first post had a picture until last night). I don't need you to change your image hosting or anything a drastic as that just know that I will have to shift my posting into the evenings for this portion of this game where I am able to view the photos on my home PC.

I was thinking that as we wind down out of these major changes, but before we start into races and such, people might want to do more minor changes.

What I am proposing is that during your turn, you may make three smaller changes instead of one large one. For example...

I could create a large mountain chain at the south pole or..

I cleave a valley into Joani's range, create a branch in the main river that flows towards the forest and create a lake on crescent island.

Also of note, as we get more detailed, I will make sure the map is larger so that you can zoom in and see a bit more detail.

We should also decide how large the planet is...I really don't want to detail out an entire planet the size of earth...not all at one time anyway.

Comments questions concerns?

3 minor or 1 major change sounds good to me. As for how large the planet is, how 'bout we just say pretty much what we can see is half the planet. We can leave the 'backside' undefined for now, adding stuff as we or the story need it later.

We can also take a page from most fantasy books nowadays. If you haven't noticed, the ones that have maps generally don't have a legend. This is on purpose so nitpicky readers don't get in a snit about how long it takes characters to get from place to another. This way, travel takes as long as we need it or want it to... mostly.

Also, when we get to God Turns, will the gods themselves be able to change the face of the planet, or at least a small piece of it? I was planning on having one of my Gods to create a mountain-ringed desert as a place to forge and temper the race he creates.

1) I'm cool with the 3:1 ratio.

2) How many more turns of this are we thinking?

3) I agree with Asa and think we should be allowing the Gods to shape the world on their turn as an option for their action(s)

4) Pharg.

5) Scale: I'm pretty flexible, I had figured that this was the whole world and that as things progressed some areas of the world would become focused on and more developed and the rest would be open for later use. I agree that defining everything would be teh suck.

6) Pharg. Again.

2. I had figured on until everyone just takes a 'pass'.

3. Was always the plan, but the Gods would be limited to 'minor' changes instead of the broad brush strokes we are doing now.

4. ditto

5. I would prefer this be 'whole planet' and we don't have to have a definitive scale, but I want to know in my mind if the gaps in the continents are traversable by the tech we will have eventually in game, or if they are basically isolated. Something about the size of our moon would be fine with me.

6. Phargo, ND

About the size of the moon would put that map as being roughly 6700 miles (~10,900 km) across.

Eyeballing from there the big continent was probably roughly 2500 miles wide when it was still just a disc. That would put most of the small continents at roughly 1000 miles across (give or take).

As a real world comparison the US East coast is about 2000 miles from Key West to Fort Kent, Maine (US Rt 1 runs 2,377 miles).

This size is fine by me. With travel being limited to sail, horse, or plain old foot for most people (unless we have magic carpets blotting out the sun :)) That's a good size, IMO, especially given that road quality will further reduce travel speed for ground.

It also means that the main continent(s) (the big formerly round one and the smiley one) will be home to several races/nations while the smaller 3 may conceivably become solely controlled empires. Of course that depends on how things play out too.

As for running until we all pass, that sounds good to me.

How is everyone else on the size of Iannin?

Also, heads up, I tend to spend not as much time at my computer during the weekend as I am out running with the fam (as most of you know), but as a reminder, should Joani post, mine might not come until Monday, especially since I need to work on the map quite a bit (TY Asa :P heh, j/k).

How is everyone on the map size? Do I need to make it bigger so you can describe more finite changes?

That's no Moon!

That's Iannin.

I'd prefer it somewhat bigger - I'm just used it, is all, and it gives us a bigger sandbox to play in. Hell, the Vikings crossed the Atlantic in a Longboat - but I'm perfectly fine if the consensus is Moon Sized.

As for the size of the map, I'm fine with it for now, but later on, when we get to God Turns - who presumably can't make as far reaching changes, maybe blows up the various continents/areas would be good, so we can be more precise.

Originally Posted By: Dawn, OOC
I'm good with the size; the only question I have is what is the line of white biseting our upside down S. America?

Answered in chat, but that is Joani's mountain range, it looks more like mountains in the map I haven't put up yet.

If we honestly ever need more room, we can melt some of the ice cap and 'discover' a new continent/island. This is already bigger than we will probably ever explore completely.

Derived month names (just brainstorming)

First Cycle: Aera

Second Cycle: Kyne

Third Cycle: Bel

Fourth Cycle: Zaya

Fifth Cycle: Talen

Sixth Cycle: Zath

Seventh Cycle: Kahn

Eighth Cycle: Sion

Ninth Cycle: Que

Tenth Cycle: Ahnk

First Cycle: Kaer

Second Cycle: Wulkyn