Aberrant RPG - Mastery and Extras

metaphysician

Lets say you have a Burning Q Bolt. And then purchase Mastery.

Normally, Burning lasts for 5 turns. Does Mastery change this?

Possibilities:

1. It doesn't. No benefit at all.

2. Its treated as a duration, and is upgraded to 5 scenes/hours ::scared

3. Its treated as an effect, and is doubled, to 10 turns

Thoughts?

On a slightly related note... Mastery and weaknesses. By default, each aspect of Mastery you forgo is a point of weakness. What I would do is make the following changes:

-Each *effect* of Mastery dropped would be a one point weakness, so, having mastery not increase both the area and the range would be two points, not one

-However, you can only get points back for effects it can actually have, not inapplicable ones. Thus, Armor ( Mastery ) doesn't have Cost, Duration, or Scope, so those aspects can't be dropped as weaknesses.

I think Mastery should be potent. Ive had this come up for me once where particular mastery effects werent applicable so I worked it out with the ST to have other mastery level effects come into play. More than anything else I think mastery should require the ST and the Players input and it makes it better if you work with the ST t o customize your power. Mastery should reflect the individual strongly rather than just be generic IMHO.

I think Mastery should be potent. Ive had this come up for me once where particular mastery effects werent applicable so I worked it out with the ST to have other mastery level effects come into play. More than anything else I think mastery should require the ST and the Players input and it makes it better if you work with the ST t o customize your power. Mastery should reflect the individual strongly rather than just be generic IMHO.

I'd be inclined to agree. All powers should be individually tailored at least somewhat, no matter what their level. Once you reach the Q6+ realm that Mastery requires however, just about every aspect should be tailor-made to the Nova. This is Earth shaking territory.

Archived