Rorx

I might be wrong, but the given name for the planet that the Coalition are trashing during the scenario in Deception is Beta Canum Venaticorum - which looks very similar to an initial colony site that Nippon were opening up before the Nova responsible went beyond a threshold. She apparently said she was going to create a sentient species there and play civilisation!

Since I assume AsAs was written after Deception was this done deliberately do you think - it gives another powerful Nova who could be an allay against the Coalition, although Trinity should be careful about its plans to colonise the planet...

Erebus...is not on the list of potentially habitable planets, being destroyed and all. In fact, none of the natives survives the encounter, IIRC, if it's done as suggested. Nonetheless, I agree that IF the nova could be found, she would be a potent ally...

FR

The Coalition scenario on Erebus takes place in Nov/Dec 2121. Parts of at least the continent with the proto-sentient race on it are effectively hoovered up of there raw materials which causes a great deal of damage to the environment - atmospheric dust causing a long term winter effect is mentioned.

However, the in fighting between the Aberrants and the Coalition as well as the discovered presence of the Trinty/UN/Norca teams cuts short the normal procedure for strip mining the planet. It is explcitly stated in some later dated supplement that Trinity (and others?) are trying to help the native life, presumably using some terraforming techniques or suchlike to reduce the effect/duration of the winter. In addition, an uninhabited continent of Erebus has been earmarked for the people of a generation ship that is heading to what is now known to be an unsuitable system.

Erebus wasn't destroyed in the sense that there isn't a planet; it's just not habitable. The various scoopers grabbed all of the good stuff and ran. They weren't able to destroy the planet completely, but were able to render it uninhabitable.

What supplement was that, Rorx?

FR

Still trying to find the reference unfortunately.

That is the normal sequence of events for the ark, but the attempted coup by the Aberrants and tainted breeders stops the process early, thus giving the world some hope of intervention.

From memory it is in a mention of one of the lost ships, possibly the one heading to Procyn(sp?), the destination is found to be unsuitable and they are given the choice of other places to go, some return to Earth, some go to Karoo, but a large number (30,000+ springs to mind) head to Erebus.

• 3 weeks later...

That's from Asia Ascendant, page 59. A number of the colonists from the Yangtze ship were redirected to Erebus.

Incidentally, I wonder how Rushing Mountain (the nova) would respond to this wave of immigration. Seems to me she would be resentful of it, being a potential threat to her attempt at apotheosis.

Archived