Aberrant RPG - Mega-Attribute Enhancement World

Heru

I was thinking about creating a variant setting in which the only useable powers would be the various Mega-Attribute enhancements. No directly quantum powers would be allowed. As I was thinking about this I realized that some quantum powers could be modified into various enhancements.

I'm going to post my ideas on which quantum powers can be made into enhancements and for what Mega-Attribute.

In addition, I ask for forum posters to try and help me come up with the setting ramifications for not having quantum powers.

Thanks.

Absorption - Mega-Stamina and Mega-Strength. Two different enhancements, one that allows you to absorb damage and the other allowing it to be redirected toward converting it to Strength. I figure that the first enhancement would require MEga-Stamina and second Mega-Strength with a prerequiste of the first version. Maybe the first would be called Absorption and the second Conversion.

Animal/Plant Mastery - I can't really see how this power would become an enhancement. But if it could it would probably be multiple enhancements of Mega-Perception.

Armor - Mega-Strength

Bioluminescence - Not as an enhancement but as a new addition to the Body Modification power.

Body Modification - This power represents the effect that quantum energy might have on the novas body. I feel that this is similar to what enhancements do. Because of that I plan on keeping it.

Bodymorpth: No

Boost - Mega-Willpower. This would be a Mega-Willpower enhancement that allows for the enhancing of normal attributes for short periods of time by using quantum.

Claws - Probably as a form of Body Modification.

Clone - No

Cyberkinesis - This is very hard to say no too, as I really like the thought of allowing novas to utilize their enhancements to direct and control machines. Any help on making this an enhancement would be appreciated.

Density Control - Not really, though it could be a higher level power of Mega-Stamina.

Disintegration - No

Disorient - No

Disrupt - Maybe a Mega-Willpower type enhancement, but probably no.

Domination - A more advanced form of the already existing Hypnotic Gaze. Some modifications would have to be done to it to get it to fit.

Elemental Anima - No

Elemental Mastery - I don't think so.

Empathic Manipulation - This could be a modification or second tier of the Natural Empath enhancement.

Entropy Control - No

ESP - This could probably be converted as a Mega-Perception enhancement.

Flight - While I really like this, I figure that it would be hard to find a way for it to be converted into an enhancement. so No.

Force Field - Mega-Stamina. I can see this as an protective enhancement, though with some modification.

Gravity Control - No

Healing - This could be turned into a higher level enhancement that allows novas yo utilize their understanding fo their own quantum energy to heal others.

Holo - No

Homunculus - No

Hypermovement - This could probably be added as an enhancement allowing a nova to move really relaly quickly.

Hypnosis - This is just a variant on the already-existing enhancement Hypnotic Gaze.

Immobilize - No

Immolate - No

Intuition - Mega-Perception. I can definitly see a nova having this as an enhancement.

Invisiblity - No

Invulnerabilty - Yes, its like Adaptability in that it is a quantum-induced modification to the body.

Luck - Yes. Probably a Mega-Willpower enhancement.

Magnetic Mastery - No

Matter Chameleon - No

Matter Creation - No

Mental Blast - No

Mirage - No

Molecular Manipulation - No

Poison - Yes, this could be written up as an enhancement that causes the nova to gain control over the substances in his body making him able to turn it into a poison. Mega-Stamina or Mega-Willpower, or both.

Premonition - Maybe, this could be a higher quantum enhancement of Intuition. Mega-Perception.

Pretercognition - No

Psychic Shield - Probably no.

Quantum Bolt - Probably not, though such energy beams are standards in the superhero genra so it might be necessary to try and find a way to have it fit in.

Quantum Construct - No

Quantum Conversion - No

Quantum Imprint - Maybe, I can't really tell if this could fit.

Quantum Leech - No

Quantum Regeneration - Yes, Mega-Willpower.

Quantum Vampire - No

Sensory Shield - Yes, of what Mega-Attribute it would fit I don't know but the ability to protect against incoming sensory shock should exist.

Shapeshift - No

Shroud - No

Sizemorpth (Grow and Shrink) - No

Strobe - No

Stun Attack - No

Telekinesis - Probably No, though I think this would be a cool feature to add.

Telepathy - While its probably No, I feel that a way could be found to allow it to work as an enhancmeent.

Teleport - No

Temporal Manipulation - No

Warp - No

Weather Manipulation - No

Instead of turning all the powers that seem enhancement-ish into an enhancement...why dont you just limit the powers that could be taken to only 'internal powers' described in the APG (the section where Utopia is warning about the legal ramafications of their powers)?

Instead of turning all the powers that seem enhancement-ish into an enhancement...why dont you just limit the powers that could be taken to only 'internal powers' described in the APG (the section where Utopia is warning about the legal ramafications of their powers)?

While I would essentially agree, I can't help but notice that their are a number of offiical enhancements that actually affect the world outside the nova. Not only that, but I kinda like the narrow rules nature of the enhancements compared to the vastness that are the quantum powers.

Actually, reading through the powers I noticed something. In Animal/Plant Mastery they describe it as using quantum to understand the noises that animals make. I could totally see that as a Perception enhancement since its no different from being able to utilize radio or 360-degree vision.

All in all the limiting of abilities to mostly enhancements makes we wonder what sort of effect it would have on the setting.

Alright then...to make them viable enhancements...

Animal/Plant Mastery - Talking to them would be Perc or Int, making them do what you want would be Manip.

Armor - Stm (resisting damage), with the ability to take it multiple times (otherwise Mstr will dominate more then it already does)

Boost - Keep the enhancement with the attribute it boosts (Boosting Str? Its a Str enhancement then). M-WP if you want to use Multiple Boosts at the same time (and enhancement called 'Multi-boost' or some such)

Claws - Body Mod with the additional damage being how many NP you put into it (max 5)

Cyber-kenesis - I could see reading the computer being a Perc enhancement. For what you want I dont think that manipulating the machine would work though.

Density Control - Stm, with the ability to take them multiple times (just stick with the description of the power for that)

Disrupt - I dont think that would fit what you want...that directly controls the physiology of another character.

Domination - Manip...pre-req hypnosis

Empathetic Manip - Same as above

Flight - 4NP Bodymod, usable Wings. Can be taken up to 5 times to get the speed values listed on the power.

Force Field - You have armor, you shoudent need Force Field...especialyl since this is mostly an 'energy' ability. If someone can make a good arguement to take it (like if Ash from SGE wanted to say it was luck helping him to get out of the way for example) then let them take it multiple times and have it work the same way as the power.

Healing - Pre-req Regeneration

Hypermovement - Allow taken multpile times, pre-req Enhanced Movement

Invisability - Stm enhancement, Pre-req Chromataphores (or whatever that Chamelion Body Mod is)

Matter Chamelion - Stm enhancement...at that note, Bodymorph could be taken the same way...

Posion - Stm enhancement, taken multiple times if needed

Psychic Shield - M-Will

Q-imprint - Stm

Sensory Shield - Stm or Perc

Teleport - Dex, pre-req Enhanced movement (faster then the speeding eye...and anything else that tries to track him)

RE: Cyberkinesis

Either make it's various parts enhancements for Mega-Int, perhaps requiring Quantum gadgets.

RE: Domination

No reason to have it if you already have hypnosis and the like. This is especially true if you are dropping p-shield.

RE Empathic Manipulation

The various social enhancements do various social things, they are the various pieces of this power. You don't want one enhancement to duplicate them all.

RE Healing

Make an adjustment to attune so that enhancements work. This would allow Regen + Attune to function on other people. If that seems strong, then make it a second level of regen.

RE Sensory Shield

Make it Mega-Perception

All in all the limiting of abilities to mostly enhancements makes we wonder what sort of effect it would have on the setting.
It gets quieter. You've eliminated much of the transport powers, and the mind control powers, and the Q5 & Q4 powers. Because novas can do MUCH less, they are less of a global kick between the legs for baselines. For example without clone, warp, and teleport, many legal issues/problems simply go away. Novas cross borders to enter countries. Most of the problems Pax, Mal, and the rest of the Q6 crowd pose are eliminated because MASTERY is largely eliminated. The Elite phenomon is greatly reduced. For that matter, novas ability to run away from law enforcement is greately reduced simply from the elimination of warp.

Better still, much/most of the benifit to mankind is still there. The mega-smart will still be inventing new stuff. The Mega-Attractive will still be making movies, etc.

This is in relation to Bahamut810 last post.

Animal/Plant Mastery - The talking to them is the easiest part, that directly fits in with the other powers they have. But controlling them is a little harder and requires much more thinking on my part. See, removing direct telepathic control sorts of limits what can be done. As does the removal of the ability to make plants uproot themselves.

Armor - gottcha, thinking about it.

Boost - Nice idea. I figure that most won't actually take this, but I thought i'd leave the cocnept in. It makes sense to leave Boost in the attribute category that is being boosted. I also like the idea of Mega-Willpower being the 'altogether' stat.

Claws - Yeah, I think that fits completely.

Cyberkineseis - None of this I am not an energy field within the machine, but I do figure that some powers that would enhance a novas ability to understand, diret and control machines should exist. I just don't know of what kind. Gotta go read more indepth about this power and its various techniques.

Density Control - I thought that this was a little bit too powerful and 'mighty' for an enhancement?

Disrupt - Thats fine, no problem, it probably does not fit. I just thought that I might include it so that certain novas have the ability to block another novas.

Dominion - see below for my comments on this. :)

Empathetic Manip - see below as well.

Flight - That would probably work. The wings or other such physical manipulations would be necessary. But it would allow some sort of variance. I figure the enhancement works and makes sense as bridds do actually eixst. :)

Force Field - This makes sense, as its something that none of the other enhancements come close to being able to produce. So off.

Healing - Alex Green has some ideas for this that I find interesting, see below.

Hypermovement - I would definitly allow multiple times. I want novas to be able to run really, really fast.

Invisability - Maybe, it might work. I guess the thing is that it would be an enhancement for a body modficiation power. hmm, thinking about it makes me like it more and more.

Matter Chamelion - Personally, I don't really think so. But I'll think more about the enhancement angle this could come from.

Posion - Yeah, I think this should exist and work as its the nova controlling his own body to produce stuff.

Psychic Shield - Probably, as it defends the mien against certain social and mental attacks that enhancements might accomplish.

Q-imprint - Really, how and why do you see this still fitting.

Sensory Shield - Thinking about it.

Teleport - I truly can't see a way I could allow this as this power makes you go from here to there without crossing the intervening space. But I am listening to suggestions.

Thanks for the ideas and thoughts, I seriously appreciate them. I really did not want my threads on this forum to be empty. :)

This post is in response to Alex Green's comments. :)

Cyberkinessis - I figure thats probably exactly what I'll do. I'm going to go through the power and see what tehcniques can be ported over.

Domination - I figure that one of the biggest aspects of Novas is their ability to defend. Thus I am goiung to have some sort of p-shield that would protect them against the controlling affects of other novas. But yes, I see your point with straight up domination.

Empathetic Power - Thats so very true, glad that you pointed it out. The point of this is that one must take a lot of little powers to have a big effect, rather than one big broad power.

Healing - That would work, didn't think of it that way. Yeah, but allowing attunement to affect enhancements it might enhance what novas can do. Personally, I think I am going to make it a second level. I feel that once you learn how to heal yourself you greater understanding will lead you to healing others. At least I like that concept in this game.

Sensory-Shield: gottacha. :)

About the changes to society,

I completely agree about the transport powers, but not so much with the mind control. Considering all the Mega-Social enhancements that enable a nova to affect masses. They still possess a lot of ability of making baselines do what they want. I was just using the core rulebook, for all I know (and I guess I should go over them) some of the powers in those books might work. In addition, I will probably allow those enhancements shown in the Mega-Int and Mega-Social book as well as the Aberrant Compendium. Their is no limit to what can be done if a player truly looks.

Novas might have to cross borders, but they could do it by walking under water, or moving real fast, or any other sort of utilization of their enhancements. Yeah, its harder than in the canon setting but its easier than in the real world. At least I think so.

I completely forgot about such high level characters. I figure, if you utilize the Adventure! setting as still the core of the setting then you could still have Divis Mal. Remember, that at the Hammersmith event he became somebody that transcended Stalwart, their is nothing to say that he couldn't transcend the normal limitation of only enhancements that other players have. He could be this bizarre unique person in the setting. That is if he is essential, I don't know if he is.

ABout mastery, I guess I should look at that for maybe their might be a way I could include it as a person gaining a better handle on the enhancement powers that they possess. I have to look at it. Actually, this is one fo the things I want, I want novas to be able to constantly get better and better at what they do.

The Elite is not truly gone as while they lost some ranged combat ability, they do have strength and dexterity and stamina enhancements that could be utilzied to make them do the same. They just won't be able to fly (without using wings from Body Modifciation) or shoot laser beams out of their eyes.

About Warp, how many actually have that ability in canon Aberrant. It can't exactly be that common of a power.

Yeah, that is the thing I like about this modifiication. Its like taking Adventure! and bringing it to the next level of power. Considering that the Inspired Knacks are basicly enhancement-like powers, its a gigantic progression. Actually, I would consider that this modified Aberrant setting would follow on the heals of the Adventure! timeline like normal. Maybe, something occurs to turn the normal Inspired (Stawlarts and Mesmerists) into Novas. (One of the things I would do is remove the 'official' history of Trinity from the setting, thus removing Psions and Psiads and making Novas the inheritors of both Stalwarts and Mesmerists.)

This reminded me of a thought I had. If a Stalwart transforms into a Nova would their already quantum-charged nature provide them some protection against Taint. I would like to think so as I absolutely DESPISE the concept of Taint. I don't like the flawed hero archtype that White Wolf so loves to utilize in their games. Which, of course, will lead me to try and find some way to reduce or remove Taint from Novas while stilling allowing for the occasional really messed up Aberrant.

About the timeline, I figured some of it could still be used. Considering that they would revolunionze most areas of society. Maybe, because of the lack of the most flashy powers, theyw wouldn't be as hated or as feared as they are in true Aberrant canon. I would really like to create a meta-setting that provides a glorious time without being over the top. I don't have problems with problems in my setting's society, but I don't think that the Aberrant War is an essential or automatic result that has to happen. So maybe with the use of only enhancements the world can be made to be a better place.

About Warp, how many actually have that ability in canon Aberrant. It can't exactly be that common of a power.
Warp is a major headache for all kinds of things because it's a force multiplier, works on other novas at a long distance, and transends boarders.

6 novas (elites or terrorists) can now strike anywhere on the planet at a moment notice, and then leave before a superior force can be mobilized. Better still, none of the 6 elites actually need to have warp themselves, they can hire someone who is sitting safely at home.

Elites are *MUCH* weaker in this setting. The loss of most of the mobility powers really hurt. In war, mobility kills, and they don't have it any more. No more flying away if the going gets ruff, not only does insertion have to be carefully planned, but so does running away. The loss of ranged powers also hurts because it includes all of the area powers. I've run in elites games, an area attack can seriously turn the tables on baselines, and all of them are gone.

With the mobility powers gone, novas are going to be much more bound to a single country or even city. Yes, there will be exceptions, but that's what they will be, exceptions. For example, Geryon does his thing a time or two... and the police arrest EVERYONE in a two block radius of where it went down. Yes, he's dormed, but without his friends to warp him out, he's stuck.

metaphysician,

Your completely right, Disrupt in no ways affects enahcnements. This is directly stated in the rules. Its a fair trade, you can't disrupt anybody but they can't disrupt you either.

Alex Green,

I can't really argue with any of your points, :).

Though I do want to say that novas using Body Modification can have wings. And then using certain enhancements they can go really really fast. The wings are just want allows the modification to work. All in all this is not equal to teleportation or warp, though it could be faster than bullets and airplanes.

I am allowing Body Modification because I see nothing wrong with the quantum manipulating and changing the body. Heck, this is what Mega-Attributes and enhancements do already.

RE: Mobility

It isn't just Teleport and Warp, Flight and the various suite techniques are gone too.

What's left: Bodymod: Wings, Q-Leap, Enhanced Movement, and perhaps hypermovement (although that's likely going to be a sub-catagory of EM).

We are talking about trends for the setting, and I predict:

1) As novas are less dangerous, there will be fewer elites, fewer wars built around elites, and more novas staying on the legal side of things.

2) Push the war back several decades, if not longer. Most of the really good things that novas do for society are still around, most of the really bad things are gone.

3) As novas are more easy to control, expect more national teams, and nationalism.

4) Fewer novas will make it out of China (this will also reenforce the fewer elites aspect).

5) Less jet setting, globe hopping. Novas will be more "local" (which might mean nations, but still).

6) MUCH less taint. Most of the big taint generators are gone. (I just realized this).

Actually the combination of all this might prevent the war. Less taint, fewer elites, more law enforcement... basically much more sanity.

7) No op-net. "B" created it, he can't exist without powers. Similarly it's harder to gather information without cyber-k's.

Responses to Alex Green,

I am so glad that others are thinking about this concept. Its really cool.

First of all, I would allow enhancements or modifications of powers that allow for planetary and interstellar flight and quite fast speeds. The thing is you must actually have wings (though the body modification power) before such enhanced speeds are available. The concept is that the quantum is enhancing the physical nature to make it possible.

1) Novas are not really less dangerous. They still have access to the Mega-Physical enhancements. They just don't have their own ranged weapons, but they still could cause warfare to go to another level. I guess they wouldn't really be the archtypical superhero team, but they could still revoluionize combat and warfare.

2) First of all, I am using the asumption that the war is in no way essential and that it will not happen. I like metaplot, but I dislike the concept that the Aberrant game has to be trhown out the window to make room for another game. Adventure! doesn't have this problem as their are decades that are unwritten about between them and Aberrant.

3) I don't know about nationalism, I could figure that because novas come from almost all nations and regions of the world they would be a force of pan-nationlism. Plus, remember that their are also Mega-Social and Mega-Mental novas. These could go all over the place and try to bring about a more globilzation.

4) I'm sorry but I don't get this. Whats this referring to as novas come from everywhere and China is not special in this in anyway.

5) Yeah, they mightr not be able to travel around the world under their own power but their is still the global transport industry. Planes go everywhere and nothing stops novas from traveling using this method. In fact, they might create their own companies using nova engineers nad pilots and whatnot to make it a lot better for all users. I really disagree with the more local aspect, I truly believe that that because its the modern world more globilization could happen.

6) Yeah, I would have to agree, Taint would be alot less of an issue. Plus, I would think that by just using enhancements a nova is not transcendng baseline nature as quickly or as nastily as with powers. This is of course just my opinion - any way to get rid of taint woudl be good, I hate Taint. I am allowing Divis Mal to still exist, I feel as a member of the Adventure! era part of the setting (which which still occur) he should remain. In addition, he will have access to anything that he needs to - he was at the center of the Hammersmith Incident back in Adventure! and thus bypasses normal rules.

I really like the idea of retaining sanity and the advancement of humanity in a new direction. Maybe they will progress so that Aberrant can become the scifi setting with space colonies, unitied Earth government, and unity and hope for the future.

7) I would still allow the OpNet as it is a scientific ceation of a Mega-Intelligence nova. While it might have been because of cybernetic powers it was scientifically created through highly advanced mental capabilities. As far as I know anyway. I figure enhancements enabling faster usage of computers and better ways of working with mechanical devises would exist. I don't thing that concepts of becoming information and traveling through the data networks would work.

Without the more flashy 'superhero' powers, I figure the Mega-Social and Mega-Mental aspected novas would really shine.

In additionj, governments might utilize them for the creation of policy and operations. I am looking for creating a more 'lighter' world that has a nice future compared to one in which they are all destined to go rapidly insane and crazy.

For information I am using the Mega-Attribute enhancements from the Core Rulebook, the Players Guide, Teragen (body modification only), The Mega-Social and Mega-Mental books, and finally, the Aberrant Compedium. Thats a lot of possibilities and methods.

Also, one more point, I would like to mention that I will be going through Adventure! with this assumption: if a certain level of power is possible using those rules (which are basicly Mega-Attribute enhancements) then I can see adding then to my game. This includes the most basic level of telepathy and telekinesis. In addition, their exists a power called Flame/Frost Cojuration that I might think about allowing something similar in my version.

The reason for this is this, they are basiclly really basic quantum powers that exist in an adventure and pulp setting. I figure they can be brought over to this high 'magic' setting through the use of some method or another. I don't want to use the standard Aberrant version as I feel that is to much compared to what I am trying to get. But, if smaller and lesser versions exist in Adventure! then maybe they can be brought over. I will have to see.

I'm trying to find a way to add elemental shaping (technically from the Elemental Anima technique Shaping) to my game. The concept I have is a nova touching the stone (for example) and manipulating it as if it was malleable clay.

I understanding that I am stretching my rules for the setting as I go, but I have a certain vision of what I think should be allowed and the concept of a nova architect manipuling sotne as if it were clay fits that perfectly. It would also allow for works of architecture much more ornate and spectuacular.

Using the enhancement Dragon's Foot (From the Aberrant Compendium) I figure that society has a new way of making ditches and canals. The 'power' makes fissures which if made in a path could be used as a fast way of tunneling and ditch digging. Considering that I subsribe to the school of beleif that novas have full control over how their powers manfiest (within a rule base) I figure their is not thing wrong with them using their powers to make a tunnel so that it does not cave in. Dragon's Foot is, afterall, Mega-Strength 6, which means Quantum 6.

These are some of the uses that novas could utilzie the enhancements in the core rulebook to affect the world in a social infrastructureal way. If an enhancement is not listed I can't truly think of a non-combat, non-damage use.

Mega-Strength

Crush, Shockwave, and Thunderclap - Used to destroy buildings instead of using blasting caps and whatnot.

Lifter - may utilize his powers to aid in cargo moving.

Quantum Leap - In an entertainment sense, this could be used as an event in the nova Olympics.

Mega-Dexterity

Fast Tasks - You can complete tasks much faster than normal, allowing yourself greater time to relax even though you finished more in the given allotment of time.

Flexibility - Could be used as a method of entertainment. It also allows nova workers to accomplish work in those hard to reach places that normal people just can't ever reach.

Physical Prodigy - entertainment.

Mega-Stamina

Adaptability - space program, undersea operations, operating in areas environmentally hostile. Work for longer hours with a lot less supplies.

Mega-Perception

Analytic Taste/Touch - Gourmet chef and safety expert.

Bloodhound - tracking somebody that is lost or hiding. A perfect rescue power.

Electromagnetic Vision - You can singly do what dozens of machines do for baselines Infrared vision detects people, even if they are hiding. Search and rescue operations are made much easier. Visible light attuner, you are a high powered telescope that can see far into the space enabling the expansion of the space program.

High-End Elevtromagnetic Scan - You can see through solid objects, useful for doctor work, as safety checks to secure a building or package, to search for underground mines, tunnels and bases. It can make seraching for new mineral deposits much easier.

Hyperenhanced Hearing - Again, serach and rescue. Sonar and radio could be used as communciations and sensor abilities. You can aid in the development of more advanced communciations systems.

Quantum Attunement - See the manfiestations of novas in all their glory. Very useful.

Mega-Intelligence

Analyze Weakness - You are able to see the problems inherent in both physical objects and socialogical constructions. This could make it so problems don't happen by fixing them before they break. Securing strucutres so faults don't happen; making modifications to organizations to prevent collapse. Quite useful to both safety forces and government agencies.

Mathematical Savant - Who needs advanced computers, research is done much quicker.

Linguistic Genius - Formerly uncontactable people and cultures can now be safely spoken to. Society can grow together as lanugages stop being a barrer to trade and commerce.

Mental Prodigy - You are an expert at what you do, providing aid and making things better and smoother.

Speed Reading - You can aid in emergency situations when time is of the essence; gather a lot of information in a small amount of time.

Mega-Wits

Artistic Genius - Entertainment and commercials. You are a much needed boost in business capability.

Lie Detector - You can be used to provide 100% truthful statements and makre sure that the real criminals are put behind bars. Governments might use more than one nova at a time, three or more lie detector novas might provide much more factual basis for what was being said.

Synergy - Used to boost the productivity of people working in groups; aid in anything from school learning to sports, to business to government.

Mega-Appearance

Entertainment or government work.

Mega-Manipulation

Persuader - sells rep or government spokesman.

The Voice - drill seargents, etc. Get people to do what they are needed to do without question.

Mega-Charisma

Commanding Presence - Leadership and command posistions - social, polticial, corporate, etc.

Soothe - make people calm

Natural Agitator - Make people work together

Density Control - Not really, though it could be a higher level power of Mega-Stamina.

Holo - No

Homunculus - No

Matter Chameleon - No

Matter Creation - No

Mirage - No

Quantum Construct - No

Quantum Vampire - No

Shapeshift - No

Telekinesis - Probably No, though I think this would be a cool feature to add.

Don't take it personally, but the above is more than enough reason for me to feel very strongly that I would not enjoy playing in this sort of altered game.

If you want a game with lower-powered characters, then do what they suggest in the books and change the point costs for the powers, or just use GM fiat to ban the ones you honestly believe will be very troublesome.

4) I'm sorry but I don't get this. Whats this referring to as novas come from everywhere and China is not special in this in anyway.
Many Chinese novas fled the country and ended up as elites (presumably they fill out the ranks, i.e. there needs to be about a thousand dead novas to properly space out the elite rankings and that raises the issue of where these novas came from).

No Warp, teleport and fewer movement powers means it's much harder for novas to flee the country.

1) Novas are not really less dangerous. They still have access to the Mega-Physical enhancements....
Saying that someone still has heavy guns doesn't compensate for taking away their nukes. One nova with 4 dots of a suite power can obliterate any number of baselines with the storm technique. He goes to an army base and just keeps it up until everyone is dead. Hundreds or even thousands of baselines drop like flies. That's MUCH easier and more effective than punching every one of them with Mega-Strength, especially since all of them are shooting at you.

Novas are going to be better at war than baselines. Novas might even revolutionalize war. But the "higher level" they take warfare to will be MUCH lower than in the normal setting. MANY insanely dangerous nova concepts simply got eliminated, yes, they're still dangerous, but no way are that anything close to being as dangerous as they were before. You are not going to see 12 novas think they can take over a country.

3) I don't know about nationalism, I could figure that because novas come from almost all nations and regions of the world they would be a force of pan-nationlism. Plus, remember that their are also Mega-Social and Mega-Mental novas. These could go all over the place and try to bring about a more globilzation.
No Warp, teleport and fewer movement powers means it's much harder to be a "global" nova. Sure, you can hop a plane and fly from South Africa to New York in 10 hours, but how often do you really want to do that? Look at the idea of Team Tomorrow, and how much weaker they are if they have to spend 10 hours on an airplane to move to the scene of a disaster.

So the range of novas is more limited, and it makes much more sense for novas to sign up for a country team rather than an international team. A team of US novas could be anywhere in the country in 2 or 3 hours.

Don't take it personally, but the above is more than enough reason for me to feel very strongly that I would not enjoy playing in this sort of altered game.

If you want a game with lower-powered characters, then do what they suggest in the books and change the point costs for the powers, or just use GM fiat to ban the ones you honestly believe will be very troublesome.

No problem, no problem at all. I understand that we all have different tastes and that what some people like other don't. I figured that I couldn't have been the only one which likes this idea.

Actually, I really like the idea of superpowers like those you mentioned as fun. I was just trying to come up with a much more lighter version of this game that does not lead to war and the toal destruction of nova kind. I find that to be highly limiting and stupid, to put it plain and simple. I like Trinity on its own merits, I even like it with the backstory, I just don't like how it impacts and causes Aberrant to be forced to go in a single direction with no hope of an open ended future.

At the same time I really dislike Tain and I thought that this might have been an interesting way to go. Also, the novas that are here are pretty much the next generation of Adventure! Inspired with just more power.

The concept of limiting to it to Mega-Attribute enhancemnts is actually in the Players Guide under variant game settings. Which of course makes we wonder if anybody actually played it that way.

Finally, I understand that you might not like it or ever want to play in a game like this. But I was wondering if it would be possible for you to contribute information on what you think such a society would eventually grow to develop. While both Alex Green and metaphysician have posted here I was kinda hoping for some more (which is not to discount or minimize their helpful contribution, which is great). :)

This is in reply to Alex Green,

About Asian Novas,

I honestly can't see the problem. Novas are novas and thus they are better than normal humans - including armies of them. If they want to get out of China they should be able to get out of China. I just can't see why they wouldn't be able to. Mega-Mental novas will create a plant htat would get them out. Mega-Social novas will manipulate others into letting them out. Mega-Physical novas will either fight their way out or use the advise from the other nova types (unless they have Mega-Mental stats as well) to get out.

If a nova wants to leave a place then they can leave a place, especially in the early years of life.

But 12 novas can take over a country. Mega-Mental and and Mega-Social could create a coup that the populace has no way of resisting using just their baseline aspects.

With a lot of 'kool' powers gone, players will have to choose from amongst the Mega-Attributes and so their characters will be more wealing and dealing and social controllers. In addition to the physcial blast them all type.

This will also make it easier for society to develop in new, but better ways. Which is something I find to be very much appearling. I like glory ages and hypothetical 'First Ages' much more than I do fallen or chaotic, wartorn ages. Unless the wartorn age leads to something miraculous. The novas have that chance on being the force for miraculous change.

I'm sorry, but I just don't see the difference. Our world is global today and that won't change with novas coming about. In fact they will change it. New vehicle systems and engines that go faster, new power sources, new computer systems, etc. Mega-Mental novas should be able to out think and out develop anybody.

Maybe if you replace Project Utopia with some other corporate interest, or make another corporation exist that utilizes novas, then some problems could be adverted.

Take this concept,

On the day that began the nova age, the great tycoon Heru Kane erupted as a nova. Heru Kane was the owner and manager of the United Consortium, a mega-national corporation that holds stocks in hundreds of other companies throughout the world. The United Consortium was built by Heru's grandfather during the Inspired Age as an Inspired company. What, it could work.

Since he owns his company (thus can't be removed legally, its a private corporation) and his nova status, he makes a open ended deal to any novas. If they work for either his direct company or any of his subordinate companies they will be given high paychecks and great benfits, as long as they work to further the companies gains. This includes training and learning how to use their power.

Companies and nation see the benefit for having novas work for them and begin their own recruitment drive. This provides novas status and power and the ability to direct and control multiple agencies, while making those companies with this new policy richer and richer.

So we have the situation that some choose to work for nations, others for Project Utopia, and others for companies (the biggest is the United Consortium).

Because the company operates worldwide they try and create new methods to make sure that their novas can go all over the world. Faster vehicles and newer technologies revoluniztion the physical world, while new policies and philsophies revolutionze the political and social landscape.

--

About high speeds, jsut thought of this. A nova with BM: Wings, the hypermovement power (enhanced to allow for flight-like speeds) and attunement of high levels could flap his wings and move the plane he is on to very high velocities. It could work.

I just think that with the powers gone more attention would be diverted to Mega-Social and Mega-Mental novas, and it is they with the power to change the world in mighty ways. Cleaning the environment, space exploration, space construction, reserach and development, infrustracuture support, search and rescue, policy creation, and so many many more.

I gotta say, Alex, that I appreciate your suggesstions, adivse and thoughts. It is exactly what I hoped and wanted when I began this thread.

I honestly can't see the problem. Novas are novas and thus they are better than normal humans - including armies of them. If they want to get out of China they should be able to get out of China. I just can't see why they wouldn't be able to. Mega-Mental novas will create a plant htat would get them out. Mega-Social novas will manipulate others into letting them out. Mega-Physical novas will either fight their way out or use the advise from the other nova types (unless they have Mega-Mental stats as well) to get out.
The Chinese army (like all baseline armies) will have both ranged weapons AND a mobility advantage. That means they win.

You use your mega-socials to get on an airplane... and the airforce threatens to shoot it down. You can't fly, and you can't run, and your soak isn't high enough to bounce heavy weapons. This also works for mega-mentals, boats, and walking across the border.

From personal experience, the PC I build this account for was "Alex Green: The Dark Matter Destroyer". He was build as a high soak, high strength brick with low mobility. He's a lot higher strength and higher soak than it's possible to be under your system.

Against 100 baselines who can ping him, he takes some with him, but he loses. Why? Because he is only equal in mobility (actually he's slightly better, but not enough to get out of range), and because all of them can always attack him with ranged weapons while he can only attack them one at a time. This isn't a theory, we tested this.

In warfare, mobility kills, and novas don't have it any more.

But 12 novas can take over a country. Mega-Mental and and Mega-Social could create a coup that the populace has no way of resisting using just their baseline aspects.
How exactly? The 12 who tried it in cannon had a large mobility advantage. That way they can blitz a city or an army, and go away.

Without that advantage, the baseline army forms 50 miles away in another city. If the novas try to drive to that city, the air force blows up their car and kills a few of them. Ditto if they try to fly a plane. The core problem is that without mobility or range, the baselines can attack the novas and the novas can not counter attack. For that matter, the baeslines can get organized out of range and out of reach from the novas.

With a lot of 'kool' powers gone, players will have to choose from amongst the Mega-Attributes and so their characters will be more wealing and dealing and social controllers. In addition to the physcial blast them all type.
Exactly. Or put another way, they will be MUCH weaker MUCH more vulnerable to physical force. Being weaker doesn't make them better elites.
This will also make it easier for society to develop in new, but better ways.
Also true, but this is true because novas will be more easily fit into the rule of law.
I'm sorry, but I just don't see the difference. Our world is global today and that won't change with novas coming about.
Exactly, it won't change, that's the whole point. Warp is to the real world what the internet is to information. Everything is right at your fingertips. Think of the massive changes that the internet imposses on society, Warp does that again. The idea of borders changes.

The Chinese army (like all baseline armies) will have both ranged weapons AND a mobility advantage. That means they win.

You use your mega-socials to get on an airplane... and the airforce threatens to shoot it down. You can't fly, and you can't run, and your soak isn't high enough to bounce heavy weapons. This also works for mega-mentals, boats, and walking across the border.

From personal experience, the PC I build this account for was "Alex Green: The Dark Matter Destroyer". He was build as a high soak, high strength brick with low mobility. He's a lot higher strength and higher soak than it's possible to be under your system.

I don't understand this last sentence. Why would it be limited in my system. Strength is a Mega-Attribute as is soak (which is Stamina), he can get a lot of both. Maybe I am mising some partiocular power that he uses in a cool and interesting way. If that is so, cool, if not could you explain the limitation he has in my system.

While i agree in general that 100s of bsaselines could probably take on a normal nova in this setting, I am allowing enhancements form the Aberrant Compendium which has One Man Army. Which could aid them in defating all those forces.

Maybe my limitation is that I feel there are ways to change the system In the in-game sense) within when your a mega-nova that causes the others not to attack you. Say enhancements that, with a speech, cause you to automatcially win.

Still, yes, I do see your point that if 100 ranged baselines hot at you you would probably be dead.

How exactly? The 12 who tried it in cannon had a large mobility advantage. That way they can blitz a city or an army, and go away.

Without that advantage, the baseline army forms 50 miles away in another city. If the novas try to drive to that city, the air force blows up their car and kills a few of them. Ditto if they try to fly a plane. The core problem is that without mobility or range, the baselines can attack the novas and the novas can not counter attack. For that matter, the baeslines can get organized out of range and out of reach from the novas.

Internal coups with inside politics. It would have to be completely an inside job rather than from some outside force using military powers. If a mundane dictator can gain control over a nation than a nova dictator has a much eaiser time of it.

Exactly, it won't change, that's the whole point. Warp is to the real world what the internet is to information. Everything is right at your fingertips. Think of the massive changes that the internet imposses on society, Warp does that again. The idea of borders changes.

Okay, I get you. :) Your completely right about this, now that I clearly see what you mean. The status quo will remain the same in border terms while so much else shifts around.

It is an interesting limitation when you think about it. Which I hadn't before.

I don't understand this last sentence. Why would it be limited in my system. Strength is a Mega-Attribute as is soak (which is Stamina), he can get a lot of both. Maybe I am mising some partiocular power that he uses in a cool and interesting way. If that is so, cool, if not could you explain the limitation he has in my system.
Growth and Density increase (thru bodymorph) increase Strength and Stamina. So while in theory the upper level of strength is the same in both systems, in yours it costs more nova points. Similarly, Density Increase also supplies soak, etc. Eufiber is also gone, as is Forcefield, etc.

Basically it is much harder and more expensive to build a high end soak machine or mega-strength machine without powers.

Growth and Density increase (thru bodymorph) increase Strength and Stamina. So while in theory the upper level of strength is the same in both systems, in yours it costs more nova points. Similarly, Density Increase also supplies soak, etc. Eufiber is also gone, as is Forcefield, etc.

Basically it is much harder and more expensive to build a high end soak machine or mega-strength machine without powers.

Right, gottcha. :)

Things like this make me remember that many of the powers are just framework and can be mosed in multiple ways for multiple reasons.

Sometimes I get stuck in how I see things and what I like about things (I am more of the GM than I am a player) that I forget others don't always do or like what I do. [This is not to say I am narrow in how I run actual games, but I make settings mainly for myself and so I do things so that I can enjoy them.]

Archived