Aberrant RPG - My Picture

Apep

I don't know what happened to the post that had other peoples character pics so I thought I'd start up another.

I finally got a scanner!!!!! I had some trouble drawing Apep after she gained her scales, so this is her before that particular aberration.

Apep.jpg

If you get the chance check out my other Aberrant characters here , and tell me what you think.

I do, but I´m quite lacking in the scanner department currently. Any advice on where I could display my artwork once I get to one (in a few weeks time or so)?

Oh, and Apep: Nice linework. She reminds me a little bit of Gen 13´s Fairchild, which is a good thing.(What can I say?I´m a sucker for redheads. ;)) If I´m not mistaken, you colored it by hand - always a plus in my book, considering how many awful computer-made coloring jobs I´ve seen out there. Call me an old, whiny coot... but I appreciate real analogue-sque handiwork.

[ 10-12-2001: Message edited by: Argent ]

[ 10-12-2001: Message edited by: Argent ]

Well, since the invitation to throw out people's character sketches I figured I'd go ahead and give it a shot. Hopefully Apep's got the trend going.

menagerie.jpg

I did this quick watercolor of Menagerie less because I really wanted/needed to but more because of a bout of insomnia and a bastard of a storyteller pushing us to draw our characters. Its a bit too abstract and far too large for my scanner (the Odin-eyed wolf is cut off as is the serpent, hornet and the fetus/womb bit). I was aiming for something symbolizing my character rather than something concrete. Hell considering the character the medium seems almost fitting.

Bah.

-Menagerie

Thanks everyone for your positive comments, makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

Wizard,

I don't know about requests, but I could at least give it a shot. I couldn't promiss anything but if you want to send a description, I might be able to come up with something. I drew Ashnod quite some time ago, and although she seemed pretty happy with it, I don't feel I did her character justice. (see her here) I stopped on the 'little nova story' for now, but will give it another try in the future, hopefully.

Avenger,

I have a hard time with males. I'm really working on it but they always end up looking effeminate. I still have ideas to draw Avenger so, if I get anywhere with it, you're the first to see.

Menagerie,

I love it. It gives a great impression of your character. Thanks so much for posting.

Apep- I missed your link the first time I checked out this thread. Damn! Thats some nice stuff. It's nice to see some attractive females drawn in a way that doesn't encumber them with 40DD breasts, thongs, and 14 inch waists. I love Psibug, she reminds me of a NPC villain I ran at last years con, Killer Pixie.

So, overal, megarespect for the beauty art.

Great work Menagerie, capturing the essences of a character is one of the hardest parts I think. I have fumbled with sketches of the Ranger but they never worked out quite right. I have enourmous respect for anyone who can actually draw figures, I can do landscape OK but anything else I suck at.

Wizard, man, that's fucking awesome. Excellent job. Kudos all around. You humble my meager artistic endeavors.

I know I posted this before, but here it is again, submitted for your approval, the mighty Avenger. Looking not so mighty in this picture, mind you. I also didn't do this picture, it should be pointed out. A friend of mine can be credited with this picture, who deliberately plaigarized Jhonen Vasquez's style just for the sake of this picture. Usually, her stuff is much better.

joejen.GIF

-- Avenger

[ 10-27-2001: Message edited by: Chosen ]

My god.

That is a bloody brilliant pic Wiz. That is about 10^n better than I could do, you know? I just don't have the big artistic stuff in me. Which is odd, really, considering my Mother, Maternal Grandmother and Older brother all do have the visual artistic streak.

Oh, and Avenger, You might like to fix the broken image there.

It should be fixed now. If not, follow the link. If that still doesn't work, then to an extreme, maybe I could send the pic to someone who could put it up temporarily on their webspace or something. I don't bloody well know. I can think of no rational reason the picture isn't working. I know how to do HTML and I've checked and double-checked twice or thrice. Totally bloody well irrational.

Ranger, man, you're into JTHM too? Awesome, man. Most people who know about JV mention Invader Zim first thing. I like Invader Zim, but when you mention JTHM, most people stare at you blankly. Incidentally, I met Jhonen a couple of times. He's a great guy. Have you had a chance to read Squee! and I Feel Sick?

-- Avenger

Squee! rules. Plain and damn simple. I am quite happy that Jhonen found a way to inflict his sick and vile humor on the widespread public with Invader Zim. People need the chance to just sit in shocked awe at their TVs once in awhile.

Wizard-I really try to reign in the profanity here because I don't want to needlessly offend but I gotta. So here goes.

Oh My Fucking God.

That's just gorgeous. Thank you one and all for hammering home the fact that drawing is cool and that I cannot do it. Damn!

[ 10-23-2001: Message edited by: James 'Prodigy' Meehan ]

[ 10-23-2001: Message edited by: James 'Prodigy' Meehan ]

Wizard, did you actually paint that thing from scratch? If so, you´ve got my deepest admiration. Your style seems... familiar, somehow. You got a net gallery, perhaps?

Avenger: Still can´t see your pic, man. Shame.

[ 10-23-2001: Message edited by: Argent ]

Avenger, yeah JTHM is about the best thing around. Loved it the first time I saw it. I liked Squee too but I thought that I feel sick fell a little flat. I hope that JV continues to churn out stuff like this, he is one of the best. I think I saw a "filler bunny" graphic about sometime last week, no idea whats in it though.

Quote:
Originally posted by The Ranger:
I think I saw a "filler bunny" graphic about sometime last week, no idea whats in it though.

It's a comic Jhonen drew as a promotional for a convention... except he didn't start working on it until 11 PM the night before the convention started. "It's starting in three hours, and now my head's turning into this pickly-shlong thing! Maybe if I reduce the quality of the art..."

• 2 weeks later...

On the topic of JCV, I actually thought I Feel Sick was some of his best work, and not just because it was in colour...okay, I take that back. The first issue of I Feel Sick was probably the best thing he's done. It was kind of nice to get a better glimpse of what the weird brain destroying demon thingees that plagued Johnny actually were. I never really understood exactly what it was that made Johnny sick, besides being psychically attacked by figments of the embodiment of evil, or whatever that spooky thing in the wall was. Still, that first issue was just mint. Funny, well drawn, and though I don't think M. Vasquez needs colour to tell a story, the colour and play with perspective was definitely an excellent touch. As a whole I still think JTHM was the best series, though Squee! is a close second. I'm actually, and unofficially, working on a screenplay of JTHM, though it'll probably be done sometime around humanity's next evolutionary leap. *sigh* Damn need for a college degree... frown

D f!ckin' W

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I study philosophy, concentrating in aesthetics. I'm a senior and I've JUST picked out my concentration...yeesh. Sounds useless I know, but it turned out that because of my studies I knew about as much as many of my friends in Sociology, Psychology, English, etc., so I just figured I'd keep taking classes and then eventually I became a Philo major. I used to be an English major, which is why I babble about writing and literature so much. Balh blah blah...

D borin' W :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Yeay!!!! I finally finished her picture!

stigfin.jpg

sure some of it didn't turn out right, like her piercings aren't very visible and the coloring is sort of splotchy and a little too pink, but all in all I think this is pretty close to how I invision her.

Thanks for looking!

Now, I can draw, but I'm still lacking skill wise. But, if there was a way for me to have someone I can pay to do a image of Endeavor, here's the short list...

Echatl Ugalde (I think I got the name right, sorry if I FUBAR'd Matador.)

Fred "The Man" Perry (The guy who does the "Gold Digger" manga series for Antarctic Press. He even does his own Anime!!!)

Ben Dunn (I just like his style.)

Akira Toriyama (No chance in hell on this one, but it'd be a coup if I could.)

My friend Brian (He's one HELL of an Anime style artist.)

Well, there you have it. I do have an older sketch of endeavor on her personal data linked on her siggy. But I'm going to RADICALLY change her look some. But keeping with the anime motif.

The thing is, I've always thought my characters would be better done justice through Computer-altered Photography rather than a drawing. I have a few good thoughts for what I want to do, but I've yet to do it. When I do, I'll certainly place them on my website for everyone to see (Tripod seems to not like you linking to images directly outside your website...)

Archived