Adventure! RPG - Hey all you Adventure! Lovers!

SkyLion

Looks like us pulp fans may finally have the flick we have waited for!

Um. . . I already have all of those: Flash Gordon, the Indiana Jones trilogy, Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Mr. Vampire, Hellboy, xXx, The Maltese Falcon, Mystery Men. . . .

On the other hand, I suppose there's room enough for another DVD on those shelves.

Um. . . I already have all of those: Flash Gordon, the Indiana Jones trilogy, Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Mr. Vampire, Hellboy, xXx, The Maltese Falcon, Mystery Men. . . .

On the other hand, I suppose there's room enough for another DVD on those shelves.

those are all great and I have most of them...But this sounds way cool...a movie that brings together Doc Savage and The Shadow?!? With Sam Raimi's vision and artistic integrity, we may finally have an LXG-style mashup without the cheeseball hollywood elements (though I enjoyed LXG for what it was, all the same...)

[. . .] without the cheeseball hollywood elements [. . .]

So the Sam Raimi who directs this movie is not going to be the same Sam Raimi who delivered unto us Spider-Man as Jesus Christ on the front of an elevated train? Or the same Sam Raimi whose first Spider-Man movie follows Joseph Campbell's hero's quest verbatim, just like a hundred other Hollywood hero films? Or the same Sam Raimi whose zombie movies are defined by their camp content? I'm not denying that Raimi makes entertaining, fun, and good movies, but I'd like to know what he does that somehow sets him above other big-budget blockbuster directors.

So the Sam Raimi who directs this movie is not going to be the same Sam Raimi who delivered unto us Spider-Man as Jesus Christ on the front of an elevated train? Or the same Sam Raimi whose first Spider-Man movie follows Joseph Campbell's hero's quest verbatim, just like a hundred other Hollywood hero films? Or the same Sam Raimi whose zombie movies are defined by their camp content? I'm not denying that Raimi makes entertaining, fun, and good movies, but I'd like to know what he does that somehow sets him above other big-budget blockbuster directors.

uuuuummmmm.....no comment...

::tongue

Um...are we thinking of the same xXx? The one with Vin Diesel?

And you liked League of Extraordinary Gentlemen? The comics were good, by damn, the movie was awful. It was panned by movie critics everywhere. Not to mention Mystery Men. That one was even worse. Where the hell was Flaming Carrot?!

Um...are we thinking of the same xXx? The one with Vin Diesel?

Yep. I set my Adventure! game in the 1990s, and one of the characters was modeled on XXX and Hansel from Zoolander (He's so hot right now!).

And you liked League of Extraordinary Gentlemen? The comics were good, by damn, the movie was awful. It was panned by movie critics everywhere.

In terms of slavishly adhering to the Alan Moore story, yes, the movie failed, but I don't think that's the only measure of a film. From an Adventure! point of view, it's not bad: it's got the villain with the insanely huge-in-scope plan and enough deception to keep the heroes guessing. It's got travel all over the world, and characters with Adventure!-scale powers (except Mina, who's a bit above that). As a film, it's well enough done. It's not the greatest movie, but I wouldn't say it was bad.

Not to mention Mystery Men. That one was even worse. Where the hell was Flaming Carrot?!

As a film on its own, Mystery Men is great send-up of the superhero genre. Again, I'm not interested in laying it next to the comics for comparison. They're different media trying to accomplish different goals for different audiences.

Archived