Aberrant RPG - Taint and its Proper Usage

metaphysician

When creating a character, you can get more oomph for them by taking abilities as tainted. This leads to aberration, social difficulty, and potential munchkinism.

So, in your campaigns, when you create a PC, do you tend to give them taint, or not? When your running a game, do you prefer your players use lots of taint, or little taint, or no taint? Why?

When creating a character, you can get more oomph for them by taking abilities as tainted. This leads to aberration, social difficulty, and potential munchkinism.

So, in your campaigns, when you create a PC, do you tend to give them taint, or not? When your running a game, do you prefer your players use lots of taint, or little taint, or no taint? Why?

So far, I have played only one PC who started with aberrations, and since they're minor, it hasn't been a big problem. I do have plans for my current PC in my tabletop game to develop a few aberrations (or at least one) but it sort of depends on me playing long enough for that to happen. As a ST, I see nothing wrong with a few aberrations - it's when they start stacking up to the major ones that it becomes a problem.

For my part I've always shied away from taking tainted power levels. I just don't like the idea. But, now that I think about it, I have had a couple of characters that had 1 (maybe 2) aberrations just to give them more "character", y'know make them stand out a little. Otherwise, it just seems like a really bad idea. This of course only applies if you're playing in concept and your character isn't the sort that's going to rush headlong into to Taint-derived power (I usually play more level-headed characters, myself), but if you're just going for more bang for your buck then it's definitely a good idea - and an abuse-worthy system if one isn't careful.

Taint is a resource. It should be used as such. So if you are building a character with taint 3, the question is "how much experience did you save per point of taint?" If the nova point you saved was spent on abilities or attributes, then it was probably a wise purchase.

Another consideration is whether or not you ever intend to seek Q5+.

Archived